Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester City Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 Mod warning post # 1403

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

I still think another world class guy is needed. Chances are Aguero will be injured for at least a month and if they are serious about CL as well, Aguero and Bony will not do on their own.

I am happy with Iheanacho as back up. I think we need someone to win the ball in midfield more than we need a striker.

Shame about Jovetic, he has been really unlucky with injuries. When he has played he has impressed, but I am sure he will do well at Inter. Best of luck to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Stuggart arent messing around and the u21 drawing with Bohs,

as I posted the U21 score 2-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Christ, we're sh1te at the back. Okay, so there's no Toure, Delph, Fernandinho or Fernandinho. But the defence look like total strangers,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

That half didn't exactly inspire confidence. Central midfield of Evans and Nasri offering no protection. Only one that played well was Sterling. The rest were either anonymous or atrocious.

Not as if it a far stretch off the first team players either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

It's only preseason...means sweet f*ck all.

Still don't want them to get thrashed!

If it was back in June/early July, I'd agree with you 100%. But the Hawthorns is just 9 days away. Ricky Lambert must be like a dog with two sets of whatsits to lick if he's watching!

Iheanacho should probably start v WBA. Can't start Bony based on that - obv not fit yet. Case for Denayer to start too.

• Advertisement

rwbug wrote: »
    Iheanacho should probably start v WBA. Can't start Bony based on that - obv not fit yet. Case for Denayer to start too.
    Spot on. On both shouts actually, but more so with Denayer. He's looked assured when he's played this summer and has steadied the ship today. Take Kompany out of the firing line, maybe? Mangala looked more assured when playing alongside MdM last season. As for Iheanacho; if MP decides to play one upfront, I can't see him pitching Kelechi in in that scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

This really made me laugh from Barnay Ronay and I just had to post.
    Last summer Manchester City reinforced their champion status by signing Eliaquim Mangala and Fernando, which as celebrations go, is a bit like winning the first three stages of the Tour de France and celebrating by letting all the air out of your own tyres and taking up the unicycle.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/jul/31/chelsea-spending-jose-mourinho-transfer-window-premier-league-title

greendom wrote: »

Yep suppose he got us there but at least they were not the worst signings last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Joe Exotic

Anyone else get the feeling that City are almost using this season to get ready for the next manager.

I mean we haven't really bought a world class player (Not counting sterling as he is only potentially a world class player) even though it was obvious from last season that we needed reinforcements particularly in central midfield.

I know we have been linked with both De Bruyne and Pogba but the club hasn't really chased anhyone other than sterling, we have brought in several young players though with an eye to the future.

I might be proved wrong but at this stage i don't see us bringing in any big players.

Thoughts??

murphk wrote: »
    Anyone else get the feeling that City are almost using this season to get ready for the next manager.

I mean we haven't really bought a world class player (Not counting sterling as he is only potentially a world class player) even though it was obvious from last season that we needed reinforcements particularly in central midfield.

I know we have been linked with both De Bruyne and Pogba but the club hasn't really chased anhyone other than sterling, we have brought in several young players though with an eye to the future.

I might be proved wrong but at this stage i don't see us bringing in any big players.

Thoughts??

Well there is still time to get someone in but I cant see it either,they said they would bring top young english talent and they have done that.
    Maybe if they get Dzeko off the books.
    What are you thinking, there holding back because Pep/Ancelotti/Klopp are available next year?

Well there is still time to get someone in but I cant see it either,they said they would bring top young english talent and they have done that.
    Maybe if they get Dzeko off the books.
    What are you thinking, there holding back because Pep/Ancelotti/Klopp are available next year?

Ya pretty much,

I reckon they have lost faith in pelligrini and are waiting for pep or Klopp,
    Now i agree with you on bringing in the youth talent, its a very positive step but i'd suggest that at this stage we won't get a big name as the club that sells him won't have time to replace him.

Now it could well be that behind the scenes city have been really trying hard but it just hasn't worked out, but i just don't get that sense of ambition this summer.

As an example both Dezko and Jovetic have left leaving us with bony and Aguero as recognized strikers thats not enough for a team which is trying to win the league and champions league.

The smart approach would have been to move them on after we got a replacement but i haven't heard of city even chasing a top striker.

• Advertisement

Ya pretty much,

I reckon they have lost faith in pelligrini and are waiting for pep or Klopp,
    Now i agree with you on bringing in the youth talent, its a very positive step but i'd suggest that at this stage we won't get a big name as the club that sells him won't have time to replace him.

Now it could well be that behind the scenes city have been really trying hard but it just hasn't worked out, but i just don't get that sense of ambition this summer.

As an example both Dezko and Jovetic have left leaving us with bony and Aguero as recognized strikers thats not enough for a team which is trying to win the league and champions league.

The smart approach would have been to move them on after we got a replacement but i haven't heard of city even chasing a top striker.

Was strikers really ever the problem Jovetic was rarely played,dropping Dzeko is a strange one allright but have Iheanacho so that's 3.

I always thought a new LB is needed and De Bruyne is needed I think.Since we have Yaya Pogba not needed (right now) but if gets injured it could be a long campaign.

None of the big clubs have signed anything major really,I actually think united have gone backward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

Have to say im slightly worried.

Im happy with the outgoing business we have done . But i think we needed more player in to have a chance on winning the league.

A LB and a defensive midfielder.

TheNap wrote: »
    Have to say im slightly worried.

Im happy with the outgoing business we have done . But i think we needed more player in to have a chance on winning the league.

A LB and a defensive midfielder.

I was thinking about this the other day,none of the title contenders have signed much ,Chelsea none of note ,arsenal got cech great signing but no one else.United made some decent signings but losing De Gea and di maria is a massive blow.There defence was there main weakness for me last year and that's still not addressed and only getting worse with De Gea going.

I would rather see a few more signings of course but I think they are there are there abouts .But losing dzeko and jovetic I think there's at least one more signing coming,who that is I don't know.
    It's going to be tight at the top that's for sure!

I was thinking about this the other day,none of the title contenders have signed much ,Chelsea none of note ,arsenal got cech great signing but no one else.United made some decent signings but losing De Gea and di maria is a massive blow.There defence was there main weakness for me last year and that's still not addressed and only getting worse with De Gea going.

I would rather see a few more signings of course but I think they are there are there abouts .But losing dzeko and jovetic I think there's at least one more signing coming,who that is I don't know.
    It's going to be tight at the top that's for sure!

I have to say im worried about both our attack and midfield if Aguero gets injured we only have Bony as an experienced striker - and he won't be good enough to win the premier league let alone the champions league.

I think we are dangerously short in centre midfield both the Ferdies are basically the same player and if Toure has another poor season we will be ripped open again through the centre in the big games.

Defense im not to worried about, while it was a hard start for mangala id expect him to be better this year. Kompany also wasn't great (By his standards) last year and should be better, we are well covered in both full bacjk positions but i do agree with a previous poster that another Left FB should be brought in possibly to replace Kolorov.

I am not worried. The core of the team that finished 1st, 2nd, 1st, 2nd is still there - we will be fighting for the title for sure. We have moved away from 442 which cost us versus the better teams. We have added Sterling who looks superb in pre-season. My only concerns are Kompanys form and Kolarov at left back - a player I think is nowhere near good enough for us.

Our rivals haven't strengthened too much, and if anything United have regressed up front and not fixed center half / goalkeeper troubles at the back - so far. They have improved just their defensive midfielders. Unless of course Depay is as good as they hope - and not the next Alfonso Alaves/Samaras from the Dutch league (fingerscrossed).

Chelsea currently only have five defenders, and arsenal have only really added Cech and not fixed other issues in their team - yet.

• Advertisement

I'm a big fan of Kolarov. I don't see him as a weakness in the side and I think we will survive up front as long as Aguero doesn't break. It's central midfield that concerns me. We badly need a Verratti/ Coquelin type player. The two Ferns just aren't good enough imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

I'm a big fan of Kolarov. I don't see him as a weakness in the side and I think we will survive up front as long as Aguero doesn't break. It's central midfield that concerns me. We badly need a Verratti/ Coquelin type player. The two Ferns just aren't good enough imo.

Both are better than coquelin! I wouldn't say no to a dominant centre midfielder though, not sure who. maybe Delph is the answer. Pogba would of been perfect, surprised we don't have a plan b, in saying that our plan bs are usually terrible.

So Kun and zab def out for mondays game?

POKERKING wrote: »
    Both are better than coquelin! I wouldn't say no to a dominant centre midfielder though, not sure who. maybe Delph is the answer. Pogba would of been perfect, surprised we don't have a plan b, in saying that our plan bs are usually terrible.

Neither are better than Coquelin at protecting the defense. I agree with you about Pogba. Still plenty of time left in the transfer window to sign someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Sounds like Dzeko to Roma is a done deal. Wish he could have stayed.

Sounds like Dzeko to Roma is a done deal. Wish he could have stayed.

Definitely. I think we'll be kicking ourselves if another striker isn't brought in. Aguero/Bony is simply not enough...and you cannot expect Iheanacho to do much, but I'd be glad to be seen proven wrong. Unless Pellegrini wants to go down the root of having more formidable attacking mids to compensate for lack of out and out strikers, similar in a way to Bayern/Madrid, then that'd be okay. But he'd want a top quality versatile AM. A Reus/De Bruyne player would make sense in that regard.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33820143

Guess the theory of waiting for a new manager is out the window,think de bruyne will be signed this month at some stage and http://www.espnfc.com/blog/transfer-talk/79/post/2551713/sergio-ramos-offers-man-united-hope-godin-rejects-man-city .
    I didnt see that coming so there might be a few surprises coming our way.

Courtois out for 3 games,which is great for us and we play them after West Brom,they manage to get a point even after the red,but if it was last season they would have got the 3 I feel.
    Spurs where dire and United didn't look that much better,when Schweinsteiger came on they played alot worse but I guess they deserved the 3.
    Hopefully we get the 3 points now and start strong .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Courtois out for 3 games,which is great for us and we play them after West Brom,they manage to get a point even after the red,but if it was last season they would have got the 3 I feel.
    Spurs where dire and United didn't look that much better,when Schweinsteiger came on they played alot worse but I guess they deserved the 3.
    Hopefully we get the 3 points now and start strong .

1 game.

JPA wrote: »
    1 game.

straight red not 3?

just looked at Fantasy football and they say 1 game aswell so guess Im wrong.

• Advertisement

Depends on the nature of the offence according to the ref's report. Just denying a goal scoring opportunity is 1 game, violent conduct is 3. Don't know what the given offence was.

Anyone got any squad updates for tomorrow

Does Pelli have a full squad to choose from

Anyone got any squad updates for tomorrow

Does Pelli have a full squad to choose from

Nope, there'll be a good few players missing. Details are sketchy, but there's question marks over Aguero, Demichelis, Zabaleta and Nasri and we'll be missing Clichy and Delph for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Tricky enough tie tonight, WBA will be looking to fly out the traps and Pulis always has his teams set up tough to beat. Could be under the kosh early doors, a nice early counter attacking goal would be just the ticket.

Could really put down a marker to considering the slow start by the others.

Tricky enough tie tonight, WBA will be looking to fly out the traps and Pulis always has his teams set up tough to beat. Could be under the kosh early doors, a nice early counter attacking goal would be just the ticket.

Could really put down a marker to considering the slow start by the others.

Think if Agureo is on the bench its a silly move,look at Arsenal yesterday,Sanchez looked threatening but it took time to get going and by then it was to late.

Really looking forward to seeing Sterling.

Think he will be a great buy for us.

He is made for Silva.

And with Aguero getting all the attention it will leave him a lot of space to run into.

De Bruyne transfer talk gathering momentum - talk of him wanting the move and a bid being submitted. Our attack is already the best in the league an he would improve it further.

A little worried about tonight, we seem to be missing a lot of players but overall I think we will have great season.

CITY: Hart, Sagna, Kompany (C), Mangala, Kolarov, Toure, Fernandinho, Navas, Silva, Sterling, Bony

SUBS: Caballero, Zabaleta, Denayer, Demichelis, Nasri, Iheanacho, Aguero

Looks pretty strong although Kompany and Mangala haven't looked good as a pairing so far.

CMExIFlWoAAyzOF.jpg:large

• Advertisement

Looked the strongest team Ive watched all weekend.Sterling pace is going to be a major advantage ,weakest player has been Navas his oassing is bad but hes has alot of heart.

Good start. I like this underdog/write City off atmosphere going round...suits the team :pac:

On a side note...if something happen with that Pogba thing as well as De Bruyne I will sh*t myself. Savings on the title for sure.

On a side note...if something happen with that Pogba thing as well as De Bruyne I will sh*t myself. Savings on the title for sure.

I gave up on pogba joining ages ago,and confident on de Bruyne,Im thinking it one or the other.Both players couldnt fit on the team.

I gave up on pogba joining ages ago,and confident on de Bruyne,Im thinking it one or the other.Both players couldnt fit on the team.

Would be glad with just De Bruyne too. I'd hate to see Pogba go to Chelsea though, it looks as if that picture thing is legit it's either to City or Chelsea.

Would be glad with just De Bruyne too. I'd hate to see Pogba go to Chelsea though, it looks as if that picture thing is legit it's either to City or Chelsea.

Wasnt there talk that there was a medical booked for de bruyne for this week it could have been for him,who knows but having both is over kill.Does Pel drop Yaya and Navs and slot in Pogba and De Bruyne or is it as simple as drop ferindinho put yaya in his position and de bruyne on the wing?

• Advertisement

Wasnt there talk that there was a medical booked for de bruyne for this week it could have been for him,who knows but having both is over kill.Does Pel drop Yaya and Navs and slot in Pogba and De Bruyne or is it as simple as drop ferindinho put yaya in his position and de bruyne on the wing?

---yaya---pogba
    --de bruyne/silva/sterling (all interchangable across at attacking mid/winger)
    ----aguero

bloody hell that'd be some attack.

99% chance of never happening but meh :pac:

---yaya---pogba
    --de bruyne/silva/sterling (all interchangable across at attacking mid/winger)
    ----aguero

bloody hell that'd be some attack.

99% chance of never happening but meh :pac:

Where would KDB fit though ?

We seen what Silva was like in his best position last night . A masterclass .

Would KDB force him out wide again ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

TheNap wrote: »
    Where would KDB fit though ?

We seen what Silva was like in his best position last night . A masterclass .

Would KDB force him out wide again ?

Straight swap for Navas....see the team posted above except Fernandinho for pogba!

POKERKING wrote: »
    Straight swap for Navas....see the team posted above except Fernandinho for pogba!

Yes , but he as been an attacking midfielder the last 18months . Last season was the best season he's ever had.

Maybe he could play on the left where a lot of creative right footed playmakers play. It would allow Sterling to move to the right where he would be a lot more comfortable.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement