Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best video game of all time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭death1234567

Portal. /close thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Nah, MGS4 did more than enough to sully the franchise. Anyway I like MGS but it's hard to deny the writing is poor.

I'm a fan of the whole genre. I've played Splinter Cell games and Syphon Filter. Its the character development and plot throughout the series that has made MGS great. If it had to rely on gameplay solely, it may not be the best but it would be above average.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

For me Its between Metal Gear Solid and Half Life 2, but since I can only vote for one I voted Metal Gear Solid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,561 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm a fan of the whole genre. I've played Splinter Cell games and Syphon Filter. Its the character development and plot throughout the series that has made MGS great. If it had to rely on gameplay solely, it may not be the best but it would be above average.

Well you can say that, I don't agree and neither does MGS2's translator Agness Kaku who once said that MGS2 was the worst script she's ever read. The best MGS games had great gameplay and a silly plot that kept the game ticking forward at a steady pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

lemmings

minesweeper

• Advertisement

Well you can say that, I don't agree and neither does MGS2's translator Agness Kaku who once said that MGS2 was the worst script she's ever read. The best MGS games had great gameplay and a silly plot that kept the game ticking forward at a steady pace.

I'd almost put Mass Effect and MGS on the same tier. I liked MGS2 the least. MGS Peace Walker was a fun game. If i want sillyness i'll play Saints Row or something like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

This question is pants, you cant have a best game ever without stepping on everyone elses toes. You may as well be asking who's the best athlete ever.

There should be different categories, pc, ps3/ps2/ps/megadrive/atari 2600/commodore 64/atariST/ etc..

Then.. you need to have a genre
    FPS/Strategy/racing/rpg/mmo/mmorpg/fighting/towerdefence etc..

At least then you might shorten the list down to something you might be able to put into a poll. Literally everyone will have their own favorite and therefore best game ever. And what's more is that, by this time next year those same people might have a new favorite. Hell it might not even take that long.

Anyway, i only seen one person who said systemshock2 and that's clearly the best game ever made, they even remade it as bioshock ffs!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,561 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well I definitely wouldn't say Mass Effect has great writing either, it's a silly, generic but effective space opera. Just like MGS it does it's job to keep the games pace up. It's no bad thing either, it's when the story gets in the way of the fun when problems start, case in point MGS2 and 4. MGS1, 3 and Mass Effect don't have great writing but it doesn't matter, it gets the job done. MGS just has a bigger share of cringe moments and I know that the localiser Jeremy Blaustein and Kojima had a big falling out due to Blaustein wanting to change some of the worst moments like the love blossoming on the battlefield line.

Still love MGS1 :)

This question is pants, you cant have a best game ever without stepping on everyone elses toes. You may as well be asking who's the best athlete ever.

There should be different categories, pc, ps3/ps2/ps/megadrive/atari 2600/commodore 64/atariST/ etc..

Then.. you need to have a genre
    FPS/Strategy/racing/rpg/mmo/mmorpg/fighting/towerdefence etc..

At least then you might shorten the list down to something you might be able to put into a poll. Literally everyone will have their own favorite and therefore best game ever. And what's more is that, by this time next year those same people might have a new favorite. Hell it might not even take that long.

Anyway, i only seen one person who said systemshock2 and that's clearly the best game ever made, they even remade it as bioshock ffs!

Or just not include the silly poll, that's the only problem here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Ah now, come on.

Hehe, that was a cheeky inclusion. Though as far as realising the potential of the hardware it appears on, it does it extremely well. It's a game designed to be played in very short bursts on the go, with very limited control options available, and I can think of very few other games that serve that purpose so well.

And as it happens, when a certain legendary games designer was asked what his favourite recent game from a rival developer was:
    Angry Birds, maybe.

What I like about Angry Birds is that it has a traditional videogame [feel] to it, but also a very creative side. And you can really feel that they’re having fun developing the game. That's what I like about it.

miyamotobirds.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Helix wrote: »
    MGS is turd

Never liked MGS either.

All JRPGs I have played suck.

Battlefield 3 is inferior to the Bad Company games.

Dragon Age: Origins sucked.

And will people stop throwing hissy fits that their favourite game isn't on the list? Its pretty comprehensive already.

As for me, Golden Axe was one of my faves- I used to roleplay the **** out of that when I was 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Eggy Baby! wrote: »
    Battlefield 3 is inferior to the Bad Company games.

:D

good one, Battlefield stopped after Vietnam

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pedro7

Quake , MGS or Streets of Rage? Starcraft was pretty great too! So was Soldier of Fortune 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

kingtiger wrote: »
    :D

good one, Battlefield stopped after Vietnam

Bad Company (One and Two) are probably one of my favourite shooters ever. Incredibly immersive, atmospheric and hectic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Or just not include the silly poll, that's the only problem here.

QFT !!!

I can't believe this topic is still going on.

Joins boards.ie , creates 2 threads immediately "Best gamer ever" & "Best Superhero ever"
    Creates useless poll alongside it,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Crackle

I dont think i've ever played 'Other', sounds awesome judging by that poll though!
    Unbelievable that it took 70 posts for this joke to be made.

Anything I can say about the list has already been said to be fair. What I will say is I'm not qualified to say what is or isn't the best game of all time, because I haven't played the majority of games on that list, never mind the countless other games out there.

The best games I've played would be Streets of Rage on the Mega Drive, MGS on PS1 and Vice City on PS2 and the original Football Manager on the PC. (I'll get back to you about the best game I've played on PS3).

That's my own personal list/opinion for what it's worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

You might not be getting as much stick if you worded the thread a little differently.

..or if you gave Deus Ex as the only option.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Baldurs Gate 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

EVE Online, joined nearly 5 years ago. Still playing daily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

I installed CivII 15 years ago and am still playing

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

cod4 for me for the online, the first 12 months was the best online experience ive ever had. Different story now with mw3, lost its way

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭murphzor

Deus ex
    Starcraft: Brood War

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

Stunt Car Racer, Daily Thomsons Decathlon (many broken Kempston joysticks), Sensible Soccer, Sonic CD, Road & Track Presents "The Need For Speed" on 3DO and many more.

I reckon my all time, most life changing game I played, something which I think about almost everytime Im travelling around the country and spot a small forest on a hill, with perhaps a church and a couple of outbuildings.....the utterly amazing, the groundbreaking, and yet to be bettered, Operation Flashpoint Game Of The Year Edition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Half life 2 really is that good :rolleyes: and coming from someone whose only ever played the PS3 version of the orange box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Crosáidí wrote: »
    FF VII for me, blew me away at the time, 30+ hr games were rare back then also

Not even the best in the series

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Not even the best in the series

Whats the best then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,711 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Grimebox wrote: »
    Whats the best then?
    FFVI/IX/X/XII, in no particular order.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    FFVI/IX/X/XII, in no particular order.

I admit, 12 was great.

But imagine going from 2d megadrive graphics and very linear games to playing a 3D console. Not just that, playing a role-playing game (a foreign concept to me up until that point) with multiple discs. I went directly from playing megadrive to Final Fantasy 7 on the ps1. Thats going to hold a special place in my gaming history

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I admit, 12 was great.

But imagine going from 2d megadrive graphics and very linear games to playing a 3D console. Not just that, playing a role-playing game (a foreign concept to me up until that point) with multiple discs. I went directly from playing megadrive to Final Fantasy 7 on the ps1. Thats going to hold a special place in my gaming history

Also the fact that FF6 never got a european release meant it was the first of the genre for a generation of gamers. That doesn't make it better/worse than the other, it just means those gamers are hugely attached to it and nostalgia prevents people being objective about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Thief: The Dark Project.

Should have done a nominations thread first, then had us vote Thief the best game ever.

Advertisement