Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Favorite bad guy in movies

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

mackeire wrote: »
    Mr. Burgess in The Snapper.
    He's not quite a professional hitman or terrorist but he's bad in his own dirty, creepy way!

Snip snip mr burgess.

Sharon ............ is that you? Good girl, Sharon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Rueben carter in the hurricane. Some mad person, turns out he was bad all along and had us believe he was innocent, bit like you man from the usual suspects, though Ole rueben kept this going till after the fill ended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

allibastor wrote: »
    Rueben carter in the hurricane. Some mad person, turns out he was bad all along and had us believe he was innocent, bit like you man from the usual suspects, though Ole rueben kept this going till after the fill ended.

Used to love that film until i read the facts about the Reuben Carter case. Even Dylan wont perform that song he wrote about it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

Angelica Pickles in 'Rugrats in Paris'

what a bully!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Joaquin Phoenix as the emperor in Gladiator. He did some bad stuff but the whole love affair with his sister just put him onto a whole new level.

Warden Norton from Shawshank Redemption:
    Nothing stops. Nothing... or you will do the hardest time there is. No more protection from the guards. I'll pull you out of that one-bunk Hilton and cast you down with the Sodomites. You'll think you've been ****ed by a train! And the library? Gone... sealed off, brick-by-brick. We'll have us a little book barbecue in the yard. They'll see the flames for miles. We'll dance around it like wild Injuns! You understand me? Catching my drift?... Or am I being obtuse?

Don't remember wanting to hit a character in a film so much than after this little speech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

Ellen Page in Hard Candy deserves a mention. Not the villian of the movie but she was seriously evil in it.

Gus Fring from Breaking Bad too

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

Michael Caine as Ebeneezer Scrooge in the Muppets Christmas Carol. When he says the words, "I know how to treat the poor" with that insane look in his eyes, he's actually terrifying. Best Scrooge ever IMO :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

clarence bodicker in robocop

BEST LINE EVER

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I was thinking between Daniel Day Lewis in There Will Be Blood and Cristoph Waltz in Inglourious Basterds. But I think Ralph Fiennes in Shindlers List is the best bad guy in a film considering one of the survivors Mila Pfefferberg, trembled with fear when they met.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Used to love that film until i read the facts about the Reuben Carter case. Even Dylan wont perform that song he wrote about it again.

Thats why he is such a good bad guy, the best ones are the ones you never really know if they are bad or not.!!!!n hahah. yeah poor Bob dylan, i heard that alright that he even refuses to acknowledge it, i wonder does he still takes royalties from it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Christopher Lloyd as Judge Doom in Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

Scared the crap out of me as a kid at the end of the movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Nurse Rachet is actually one of the most underrated villains of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Robert De Niro as Max Cady in Cape Fear

Albert Brooks as Bernie Rose in Drive. His extreme violence just burst out of nowhere IMO.

Can't believe no one has mentioned Kathy bates in Misery

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5OlolbLXvw

:):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

MaxSteele wrote: »
    Robert De Niro as Max Cady in Cape Fear

Albert Brooks as Bernie Rose in Drive. His extreme violence just burst out of nowhere IMO.

Can't believe no one has mentioned Kathy bates in Misery

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5OlolbLXvw

:):)

Did you know, Albert Brooks' real name is Albert Einstein?

Anyway, Jaws (the Shark) for me :pac:

allibastor wrote: »
    Thats why he is such a good bad guy, the best ones are the ones you never really know if they are bad or not.!!!!n hahah. yeah poor Bob dylan, i heard that alright that he even refuses to acknowledge it, i wonder does he still takes royalties from it though.

Yeah i'd say so. It was on an Essential Bob Dylan album i bought a few years ago.
    Gotta admit Denzel was great in the movie though

Come to think of it, Denzel plays another great villain in Training Day , one of my favourite films

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

What's the story with Rubin Carter? Had a quick glance at Wikipedia but not in detail... What's the cliffnotes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

Your man in Robocop, not Red from That 70s Show, I mean his boss. Great moment when Robocop sends him out the window at the end. They're the kind of villains I like, the ones that are just utter ****, none of this anti hero bollox. ;)

Richard "Dick" Jones, as played by Ronny Cox. Verhoeven also cast him as Cohaagen in the original Total Recall movie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronny_Cox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

alan ford from snatch.

he played brick top.

• Advertisement

alan ford from snatch.

he played brick top.

He done the narratives in Lock, Stock too

Excellent as Brick Top too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

There's a great video that overlays Alan Ford from his films on top of Vadar clips. Can't link cause I'm work but it's worth a gander.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Orim wrote: »
    There's a great video that overlays Alan Ford from his films on top of Vadar clips. Can't link cause I'm work but it's worth a gander.

You mean this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

El Siglo wrote: »
    I was thinking between Daniel Day Lewis in There Will Be Blood and Cristoph Waltz in Inglourious Basterds. But I think Ralph Fiennes in Shindlers List is the best bad guy in a film considering one of the survivors Mila Pfefferberg, trembled with fear when they met.

I watched about 40 minutes of that film before I got sick of Danial Day mugging and gurning his way through the script.

Deniro has much to answer for :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Always Alan Rickman. Always.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Tim the Enchanter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Delightfully Pessimistic

Heath Ledger's portrayal of The Joker in The Dark Knight for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Ivan Drago - Rocky 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

I usually enjoy the the "bad guy" characters in films as I usually find them funny, or else they are just scary.
    This character however I absolutely hated in the film, he wasn't brave or exciting, just a spineless, sadistic, little fcuker - pure badness in him.

"Percy Wetmore" from The Green Mile:
    http://www.suite400magazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/article-2005969-0CA75E2D00000578-96_468x479.jpg

I guess that makes the actor Doug Hutchinson pretty darn good at acting, because he played him perfectly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman in Full Metal Jacket. Evil mütherfücker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

has to be this absolute legend! couldn't find the full restaurant scene unfortunately...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Percy in The Green Mile

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman in Full Metal Jacket. Evil mütherfücker.

He stole that movie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Gary Oldman in Leon:

Complete Psychopath.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I think Darth Vadar would take any of those guys......

But Darth Vader was a good guy really, he was just a bit misunderstood for the first couple of movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Hannibal Lecter as portrayed by Brian Cox

'"I ate his supermassive black hole with some fava beans and a nice Chianti."

Nah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Gotta be Heath Ledger as The Joker. A singular, powerhouse performance. An insidious character played in a disturbing way. Made Jack Nicholson's Joker look like Pee Wee Herman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Bambi wrote: »
    I watched about 40 minutes of that film before I got sick of Danial Day mugging and gurning his way through the script.

Deniro has much to answer for :pac:

That's Ralph Fiennes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

Rovi wrote: »
    At a certain age, this guy was truly terrifying:

Robert Helpmann as the Child Catcher in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. :eek:

After the kids are locked in the back of the coach for some reason he ditches the disguise and drives off laughing manically.
    Not great for the getaway.

What about the next time he goes to catch children?

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Gotta be Heath Ledger as The Joker. A singular, powerhouse performance. An insidious character played in a disturbing way. Made Jack Nicholson's Joker look like Pee Wee Herman

Agreed. This scene is a great example

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Jimmy Serrano, the bad guy in Midnight Run delivered some great lines.

Jimmy Serrano: Is this moron number one? Put moron number two on the phone.

Jimmy Serrano: You and that other dummy better start getting more personally involved in your work, or I'm gonna stab you through the heart with a ****in' pencil. Do you understand me?

Tony Darvo: That fellow Walsh is pretty good, Jimmy.
    Jimmy Serrano: Well, if Walsh is that good, Tony, maybe I should hire him to hit YOU.

Jimmy Serrano: Don't say a word to me, Sidney, don't say a ****ing word to me. I'll get up and I'll bury this telephone in your head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Aside from the highly popular and already mentioned Hans Gruber another favourite of mine is:

Castor Troy in Face/Off. The guy is just simple a díckhead, cares about no-one, rides all round him, loves himself and the sound of his own voice and a complete physco! Plus the bonus that the character is protrayed by 2 different actors in the same film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Brian Dennehy in loads of films If i had to pick one it would be 'to catch a killer'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

For me, there's Hans Gruber in Die Hard (Alan Rickman), Joker (Heath Ledger), Arnie as the Terminator (the first one) was a good villain if you leave aside all the piss-taking since.

Also, could Denzel in Training Day be considered a villain? If so, then he's definitely up there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Just about every scene with Ray Bones in Get Shorty is superb.

Love Dennis Farina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Kurgan from Highlander has some great over the top scenes.
    "Hello pretty", "Mom" and "Happy Halloween, ladies! Nuns. No sense of humour."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Just about every scene with Ray Bones in Get Shorty is superb.

Love Dennis Farina.

Excellent choice! One of my all-time favourite movies!
    The less said about Be Cool, the better

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,624 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm going to go with Tom Hardy's Bane. Not necessarily the best but definitely up there. He had some cracking lines and the way he portrayed the character made for an excellent reimagining.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Lots of my favourites already above.But others that deserve mention....

Michael Myers-Halloween

Michael Madson-Mr Blonde-Reservoir Dogs

Christian Bale in American Psycho

The Kurgan-Highlander(love the scene in the church LOL)

Wez & The Humungus-Mad Max2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

It's been mentioned earlier, but Ben Kingsley in Sexy Beast is one of the most menacing characters in any film

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

Jack Gleeson as Jeoffrey Baratheon in Game of Thrones...

what can I say, his character is very persuasive.... I seriously hate the motherfuckin little thundercunt

Advertisement