Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Microwaved pussy!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

Look out for that kid in the future, Will more than likey murder someone....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I'm imagining the graphic scene in my head with the cat mawing in agony as the evil little sh1t looks on.

I just can't comprehend cruelty to dumb defenceless creatures, makes me sick to the pit of stomach. The child's age is not an excuse here, there's obviously issues present that need to be seen to by a professional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

bluewolf wrote: »
    that's absolutely horrendous, the poor cat

of course the kid would know better :mad:

Do you know the kid ? How can you say he would know better if you dont know him ? I know kids older than him that still cant wipe their own holes or know how to tie their shoe laces. A childs intelligence isnt dictated by age.

Scrawny71 wrote: »
    The law's an ass. The police have a potential clinical psychopath on their hands and can do nothing about it.

People like you calling and treating the kid like a potential psychopath are more likely to result in him being that way than what made him stick the cat in the microwave.

This is the problem with todays society, a kid does something stupid and instead of being corrected and allowed to learn they are labelled as sick or evil, treated as if there is something wrong with him and then they will grow up thinking and believing that there is something seriously wrong with them.

Its an 8 year old ffs. I nearly burned down the house when I was 8 by lighting a fire for the heck of it. I was told it was stupid and dangerous, I seen how dangerous it was and I learned not to be doing things like that. Guess what ?? I'm not an arsonist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

The most important thing is did the kid realise what he did was wrong and he hurt a poor creature. If the kid realised after that putting cats in ,microwave isn't a good thing to do, then he's just a normal kid who is learning about life.
    If on the other hand the kid enjoyed watching the cat cook and would love to try it out again without any feeling of guilt or remorse for hurting the cat, the yeah he might need to make a visit to the psychiatrist...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

ian87 wrote: »
    My ex put the cat into the washing machine for a "bath" when she was a kid.. One cycle later a very dead and very soggy moggy emerged..

I guess she is not the sharpest tool in the box.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I remember being eight and knowing that if you put something in a microwave and turned it on, it would probably get cooked.

The child is evil.

brummytom wrote: »
    There's quite a vile streak of posters in this forum who often wish harm on cats. Horrible.

The child knew what he was doing. As another poster said, a very close eye needs to be kept on him.

Actually I have noticed a really dumb streak of posters in this forum who have more respect for animals than children and often wish harm on children in some weird display of affection for cats. Pathetic and rather disturbing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Scioch wrote: »
    Actually I have noticed a really dumb streak of posters in this forum who have more respect for animals than children and often wish harm on children in some weird display of affection for cats. Pathetic and rather disturbing.
    Cause kittens are cute and fluffy!!

If it was a cockroach or a worm, no one would give a toss!

• Advertisement

Cause kittens are cute and fluffy!!

If it was a cockroach or a worm, no one would give a toss!

I'd be disturbed at a child of 8 putting any of those into a microwave and killing them for kicks either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

People like you calling and treating the kid like a potential psychopath are more likely to result in him being that way than what made him stick the cat in the microwave.

This is the problem with todays society, a kid does something stupid and instead of being corrected and allowed to learn they are labelled as sick or evil, treated as if there is something wrong with him and then they will grow up thinking and believing that there is something seriously wrong with them.

Its an 8 year old ffs. I nearly burned down the house when I was 8 by lighting a fire for the heck of it. I was told it was stupid and dangerous, I seen how dangerous it was and I learned not to be doing things like that. Guess what ?? I'm not an arsonist.

Okay and what does it say that the parent ran down when it heard the noise of the microwave?

Either bad parenting or else a very, very fúcking stupid child that should not be left alone (at best) or more than likely someone to watch.

Animal abuse is a common thing amongst psychopaths at young ages.

It knew how to operate it, it would clearly have heard the very uncomfortable noises of the cat and it didn't say the kid panicked, nope. It said the parent had to sort out the problem.

By age 8 I knew very well what a microwave is for and what happens to things in it. Hell, by age six I probably knew it.

I'd be disturbed at a child of 8 putting any of those into a microwave and killing them for kicks either

So he did it for fun and enjoyed it ? Have you access to info the rest of us havent ? You claim he knew what he was doing, you claim he did it for kicks.

If this hasnt been stated somewhere I'd be very disturbed as to why a grown woman would infer these things on a child of 8 to make a point in defence of a cat.

So he did it for fun and enjoyed it ? Have you access to info the rest of us havent ? You claim he knew what he was doing, you claim he did it for kicks.

If this hasnt been stated somewhere I'd be very disturbed as to why a grown woman would infer these things on a child of 8 to make a point in defence of a cat.

I was defending the worms tbh

It's not about the defense of a cat.

Okay and what does it say that the parent ran down when it heard the noise of the microwave?

Either bad parenting or else a very, very fúcking stupid child that should not be left alone (at best) or more than likely someone to watch.

Animal abuse is a common thing amongst psychopaths at young ages.

It knew how to operate it, it would clearly have heard the very uncomfortable noises of the cat and it didn't say the kid panicked, nope. It said the parent had to sort out the problem.

By age 8 I knew very well what a microwave is for and what happens to things in it. Hell, by age six I probably knew it.

I didnt have a microwave when I was 8 so I cant comment on what I knew about it. But at 8 I knew fcuk all about anything. I knew fire was dangerous but lit one anyway to see what would happen. Learned my lesson there. I knew slingshots were dangerous and I liked birds but I hit one anyway. Didnt enjoy how I felt about it so didnt do it again. Wasnt a psycho didnt turn out to be a psycho I was just a kid learning about life.

To class an 8 year old kid a psycho or evil over one stupid incident is going a bit over board. Seems this happens more in outrage to what happened to the cat than from any concern for the boy. Thats the disturbing part of this whole discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

This is a very disturbing story. At 8 years old you know what a microwave is used for, the child knew exactly what he was doing and I don't want to hear excuses. People who are cruel to animals are very likely to go on to inflict pain on humans too, a lot of people don't take it seriously.

To class an 8 year old kid a psycho or evil over one stupid incident is going a bit over board. Seems this happens more in outrage to what happened to the cat than from any concern for the boy. Thats the disturbing part of this whole discussion.

since the cat was microwaved and the boy wasnt then yes i do think we're all a bit concerned for the cat

I didnt have a microwave when I was 8 so I cant comment on what I knew about it. But at 8 I knew fcuk all about anything. I knew fire was dangerous but lit one anyway to see what would happen. Learned my lesson there. I knew slingshots were dangerous and I liked birds but I hit one anyway. Didnt enjoy how I felt about it so didnt do it again. Wasnt a psycho didnt turn out to be a psycho I was just a kid learning about life.

Why should I be concerned about a boy who thought it was acceptable to microwave a cat? He isn't going to be punished for it.

Would you have thrown a cat onto a fire? Or into scalding water?
    Maybe you would have. Would you have locked in a burning room with no escape? Or forced it into the scalding water without any means of escape?
    That's essentially what the boy did. Hurt it without any means of escape at all.

It's about concern for the future and potential of the boy.

since the cat was microwaved and the boy wasnt then yes i do think we're all a bit concerned for the cat

So poor old cat lets be concerned for it and lets all jump to the conclusion an 8 year old is evil and disturbed based on assuming he knew exactly what he was doing and did it for fun.

Yeah that makes sense.

• Advertisement

So poor old cat lets be concerned for it and lets all jump to the conclusion an 8 year old is evil and disturbed based on assuming he knew exactly what he was doing and did it for fun.

Yeah that makes sense.

Yes, let us feel that way about an 8 year old that locked a cat in a container and tried to burn it.

Would you have thrown a cat onto a fire? Or into scalding water?
    Maybe you would have. Would you have locked in a burning room with no escape? Or forced it into the scalding water without any means of escape?
    That's essentially what the boy did. Hurt it without any means of escape at all.

It's about concern for the future and potential of the boy.

I think we might be on the same page. Pity Bluewolf isnt though as she has stated its about concern for the cat and not the boy. Who she has stated knew what he was doing and inferred he did it for kicks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

That young man should be brought straight for an evaluation.

I think we might be on the same page. Pity Bluewolf isnt though as she has stated its about concern for the cat and not the boy. Who she has stated knew what he was doing and inferred he did it for kicks.

Nope, she said she'd be worried about 8 year old putting a cat, cockroach or worm into a microwave for kicks.

Yes, let us feel that way about an 8 year old that locked a cat in a container and tried to burn it.

So its not about concern for the child then ? You cant be concerned about his future if your assuming his motives and ascribing a label of evil. Thats not looking at it with the childs interests in mind its looking for a way to criminalise him.

So its not about concern for the child then ? You cant be concerned about his future if your assuming his motives and ascribing a label of evil. Thats not looking at it with the childs interests in mind its looking for a way to criminalise him.

Oh, I never said he was evil. I said let us feel that way. I think he's disturbed. I dunno about evil. Others more than likely think that way.

One question: what if it was a baby he put inside? Would you feel that's different?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

The cat is alive and well, some damage to the tail, though.

Full article was quote but incase you missed it:

"An eight-year-old boy from Kent put his neighbour's cat in a microwave and turned the appliance on, the RSPCA said.
    The cat was found in the microwave in Rochester on Saturday after its owner heard it being turned on.
    The animal survived but may have suffered internal damage.
    The RSPCA said the youth offending team at Medway Police Station and social services had been contacted but the boy was too young to face criminal charges.
    RSPCA inspector Ray Bailey said: "This was an absolutely horrendous incident and all the more shocking because of the alleged involvement of such a young child."

I bet the cat isn't that well. Never mind the damage to his tail, I'd be more worried about the internal damage from having his organs cooked. He's unlikely to last too long if that's the case. Poor fella :(.

I bet the cat isn't that well. Never mind the damage to his tail, I'd be more worried about the internal damage from having his organs cooked. He's unlikely to last too long if that's the case. Poor fella :(.

Well it was taken to the RSPCA so I'd wager it's still there and being taken care of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

No one here knows the reason the child did it. Children do stupid things without really thinking. Everyone does stupid things without really thinking. It could very well be that the child thought they were heating the cat up because it was cold or something. Sure you can get microwavable slippers and everything, they just heat up, the child could have been thinking of something like that. I don't think children of 8 consider that putting something in to cook actually changes it's chemical composition, they probably mostly see it more that it makes things warm.

It is possible that the child knew what they were doing & intended to harm the cat, but I think it's more likely that they didn't really understand that it would harm the cat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I have to agree with Scioch, to a degree (:P).

We don't have enough information to make a judgement on this. We don't know of any past incidents to infer that the child has any issues with empathy or similar. We don't know why the child was putting the cat in the microwave, I have heard of both children and adults puttings wet animals into ovens and microwaves thinking that a low temp setting would be fine for drying them off.

The story states that the mother intervened at the sound of the microwave starting so it's completly wrong to state that the child was standing there watching it.

To say that a child of 8 would have no idea what he was doing in this situation is complete BS though. He would have had some idea of what he was doing but without more info you can't really say more.

I used to "kill" army men in my mircowave. Am I okay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

maybe its a really tick child

Orim wrote: »

I used to "kill" army men in my mircowave. Am I okay?

I don't know. Are you?

Oh, I never said he was evil. I said let us feel that way. I think he's disturbed. I dunno about evil. Others more than likely think that way.

I'm talking about how easily people have decided he is evil and disturbed without know why he did it, what he felt when he did. Its easy for people to say he knew what he was doing. He's 8 ffs, how much can he know about the consequences of his actions. How much empathy can he have for another creature ? He's a child still learning.
    One question: what if it was a baby he put inside? Would you feel that's different?

A child isnt a cat. That would be a much more serious incident.

Let me ask you something. Why is what he did different than me killing the bird with the slingshot ? I knowingly harmed an animal without knowing how such an action would impact on me and thats how I learned. Was I a disturbed child ? Id every kid who steps on an ant a disturbed child ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

My son is 8 and he has common sense not to do anything like that.

Any kid that would is clearly just evil or severely lacking in mental development.

A child isnt a cat. That would be a much more serious incident

And why is that?
    What makes a living creature, like a cat, that can let creatures know it's hurt or in pain different to a baby that can do the same?

Neither can talk but I sure as Hell know that when either of them is crying, something is wrong.

I think it is wrong and worrying to assume that an 8 year old has no concept of empathy, a child of that age is aware that it is inflicting pain.

I have to agree with Scioch, to a degree (:P).

We don't have enough information to make a judgement on this. We don't know of any past incidents to infer that the child has any issues with empathy or similar. We don't know why the child was putting the cat in the microwave, I have heard of both children and adults puttings wet animals into ovens and microwaves thinking that a low temp setting would be fine for drying them off.

The story states that the mother intervened at the sound of the microwave starting so it's completly wrong to state that the child was standing there watching it.

To say that a child of 8 would have no idea what he was doing in this situation is complete BS though. He would have had some idea of what he was doing but without more info you can't really say more.

I'm not saying he had no idea I'm just saying is disturbing how people can so easily view an 8 year old motives in line with an adults. An 8 year doesnt do that to watch the cat die and take pleasure from it. They do it to see what happens. Yes it was stupid and I'd imagine the kid has gotten one hell of a life lesson from this but to label him evil or a psycho is bang out of order. And seems to me to be a reaction to the injury sustained by the cat than any real reasoned thought of the actions of the child.

I don't know. Are you?

I'd like to think so. Took a kettleful of boiling water on the feet to protect my brother about the same time so I think it balances out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Am I the only one who can't understand how an eight year old could get a cat into a microwave in the first place? The cat would be scratching and struggling like mad and even then it probably wouldn't fit into a standard microwave. The whole thing smells like troll shit to me.

• Advertisement

And why is that?
    What makes a living creature, like a cat, that can let creatures know it's hurt or in pain different to a baby that can do the same?

Neither can talk but I sure as Hell know that when either of them is crying, something is wrong.

Because a human is of more worth to humans than a cat.

The trauma they would suffer might not be too different but how its viewed certainly is. Why is it ok to eat cows not babies ? Because cows are not human offspring.

My son is 8 and he has common sense not to do anything like that.

Any kid that would is clearly just evil or severely lacking in mental development.

Given the fact he's 8 wouldnt it make more sense to fall on the side of lack of development than being evil ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

I'm astonished how many people here assume 8 year olds are thick. They know what's going on and manipulate people all the time. He knew exactly what he was doing, he valued his own amusement over the cats torturous pain.

I actually think it's related to people in their twenties wanting to feel young. Smart 8 year olds makes them feel old, life isn't only beginning, it began 20 years ago.

Empathy is the greatest gift you can ever give a child.

I'm not saying he had no idea I'm just saying is disturbing how people can so easily view an 8 year old motives in line with an adults. An 8 year doesnt do that to watch the cat die and take pleasure from it. They do it to see what happens. Yes it was stupid and I'd imagine the kid has gotten one hell of a life lesson from this but to label him evil or a psycho is bang out of order. And seems to me to be a reaction to the injury sustained by the cat than any real reasoned thought of the actions of the child.

Some 8 year olds do things like this to take pleasure from it.

As I said there just isn't enough information to make an informed conclusion one way or the other.

Hopefully, it is a case of child that messed and has learned his lesson. But it may be that this child has issues and needs to be monitored or otherwise dealt with. I don't know and either can anyone else here.

Because a human is of more worth to humans than a cat.

The trauma they would suffer might not be too different but how its viewed certainly is. Why is it ok to eat cows not babies ? Because cows are not human offspring.

So you give us grief for worrying over a cat being tortured instead of coddling the child but you think we should coddle the child instead of caring about a cat because the cat isn't worth as much to you?

That makes you one of us. You're placing the value of one creature (the stupid boy) above another (the cat). We're just placing the value of one creature (the cat that got tortured) above another (the boy. Who I still think needs to be checked for issues).

• Advertisement

Medusa22 wrote: »
    I think it is wrong and worrying to assume that an 8 year old has no concept of empathy, a child of that age is aware that it is inflicting pain.

Do you think it wrong to assume an 8 years concept of empathy, consequence and reality to be on the same level as that of an adult ? Because thats what I'm saying.

Just because the child is aware pain is inflicted doesnt mean his understanding of pain, how it affects the cat and what it is he's actually doing comes close to any level of understanding an adult would have of it.

Do you think it wrong to assume an 8 years concept of empathy, consequence and reality to be on the same level as that of an adult ? Because thats what I'm saying.

Just because the child is aware pain is inflicted doesnt mean his understanding of pain, how it affects the cat and what it is he's actually doing comes close to any level of understanding an adult would have of it.

I don't think that a child has the same concept of empathy, consequence an reality as an adult but I do believe that an 8 year old child is aware that they are inflicting pain and are capable of understanding what the repercussions are. We don't know why the child did this, as others have said perhaps he thought that the cat was wet and the microwave would dry him off but I highly doubt it because the child is simply too old to do something like that without realising the consequences.

Some 8 year olds do things like this to take pleasure from it.

As I said there just isn't enough information to make an informed conclusion one way or the other.

Hopefully, it is a case of child that messed and has learned his lesson. But it may be that this child has issues and needs to be monitored or otherwise dealt with. I don't know and either can anyone else here.

8 year old taking pleasure from something isnt on the same level as an adult taking pleasure from something. He's a child and cannot be expected to fully understand the consequences of his actions in the same way an adult can.

Even with the details to say he deliberately did it to see the cat die there is still a debate on how that can be viewed. To label him evil without even having anything to suggest why he did it or how he felt about it though is contemptible as far as I'm concerned.

8 year old taking pleasure from something isnt on the same level as an adult taking pleasure from something. He's a child and cannot be expected to fully understand the consequences of his actions in the same way an adult can.

Even with the details to say he deliberately did it to see the cat die there is still a debate on how that can be viewed. To label him evil without even having anything to suggest why he did it or how he felt about it though is contemptible as far as I'm concerned.

How many people in the thread called him evil?

Medusa22 wrote: »
    I don't think that a child has the same concept of empathy, consequence an reality as an adult but I do believe that an 8 year old child is aware that they are inflicting pain and are capable of understanding what the repercussions are. We don't know why the child did this, as others have said perhaps he thought that the cat was wet and the microwave would dry him off but I highly doubt it because the child is simply too old to do something like that without realising the consequences.

How ? How can they fully understand the repercussions if not fully aware of the reality of something and the consequences of actions ?

As I said I killed a bird with a slingshot, I must have wanted to hurt it or kill it as I wouldnt have done it otherwise. Yet I know I didnt understand what hurting it and killing it really meant at that age. Knowing you shouldnt do something isnt the same as really understanding why.

To expect an 8 year old to have an understanding on a level to be able to call his actions deliberate and evil is ridiculous.

• Advertisement
Advertisement