Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Microwaved pussy!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

ScumLord wrote: »
    Neither of you know that's what he did, your making an assumption. You've taken a paragraph and turned it into the back story of a serial killer.

Ok...he done it to study the effects of radiation on organic matter for a project.

Very cool, I can see we got it all wrong. Future Nobel prize winner for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Neither of you know that's what he did, your making an assumption. You've taken a paragraph and turned it into the back story of a serial killer.

Neither do you. So stop making it out like he's innocent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Scioch wrote: »
    Your getting carried away again lol.

Sticking a cat in the microwave isnt a history of torturing animals similar to what serial killer or those in the bolger case had shown. No more than me killing that bird with a slingshot is. There needs to be multiple incidents to call it a tendency. So drawing a comparison based on one incident is getting carried away.

An entirely subjective opinion that I do not agree with :D

So how many times would a child have to microwave a cat for you to be concerned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

That is sick. Of course an 8-year-old knows a microwave heats and cooks food and would harm/kill a cat.

The kid is 8,not a toddler, he knew what he was doing. Vile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

EnterNow wrote: »
    Very cool, I can see we got it all wrong.
    I'm not saying your wrong, I'm just saying you can't say either way unless you where there.

In the case of my friend putting the cat in the oven she thought she was doing the cat a favour. She washed the cat, then thought she would dry it in the oven. It was stupid but it's not the only time I've heard an adult tell a similar story about stupid things they did as a child.

• Advertisement

I'm not saying your wrong, I'm just saying you can't say either way unless you where there.

In the case of my friend putting the cat in the oven she thought she was doing the cat a favour. She washed the cat, then thought she would dry it in the oven. It was stupid but it's not the only time I've heard an adult tell a similar story about stupid things they did as a child.

Let me put it like this,

I've a 9 year old boy. I've done my best over the nine years to put some morality & sense of ethics into him {aka being a parent}. I know for a fact, that my son would know its very wrong to be cruel to animals, & even more so, to put a kitten in a microwave. So even at this age, with very normal parenting, children do know such an act is wrong. This is fact, I see it for myself.

Now, I'm not saying this child didn't have a rough upbringing, or didn't have parents that couldn't give a fukc, or anything else because your right, I wasn't there & don't know the facts. What I do know, is that this child has issues, & the act of an 8 year old boy microwaving a pet is very, very wrong by todays standards.

And to be frank, no explanation nor even the truth itself, would change my mind that this kid needs help, & soon. Arguing with that, is whats wrong with society today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Oh ffs, he stuck a cat in a microwave. Big woop.
    Now, if it had been a wheelie bin, I'd be up in arms...

Let me put it like this,

I've a 9 year old boy. I've done my best over the nine years to put some morality & sense of ethics into him {aka being a parent}. I know for a fact, that my son would know its very wrong to be cruel to animals, & even more so, to put a kitten in a microwave. So even at this age, with very normal parenting, children do know such an act is wrong. This is fact, I see it for myself.

Now, I'm not saying this child didn't have a rough upbringing, or didn't have parents that couldn't give a fukc, or anything else because your right, I wasn't there & don't know the facts. What I do know, is that this child has issues, & the act of an 8 year old boy microwaving a pet is very, very wrong by todays standards.

And to be frank, no explanation nor even the truth itself, would change my mind that this kid needs help, & soon. Arguing with that, is whats wrong with society today.

Ye-Men!

Remember that old cnut caught on camera there a while ago too doing that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭p to the e

How would he fit a wheelie bin in a microwave?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    An entirely subjective opinion that I do not agree with :D

So how many times would a child have to microwave a cat for you to be concerned?

There is no set number of times but one incident to me isnt enough to suggest some deep rooted issue. You make mistakes and you learn, thats what kids do.

To link this behaviour with that of a serial killer or whatever the kid would have to show a tendency to act that way with animals. If he was known to have exhibited this behaviour on other occasions then I'd entertain a "serial killers tortured animals too" argument. So far this kid hasnt shown a tendency to torture animals (that we know). He has injured an animal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Scioch wrote: »
    Given the fact he's 8 wouldnt it make more sense to fall on the side of lack of development than being evil ?

possibly.

It could also be down to the parents negative attitude reflecting on the kid.
    No one really knows.

is that the regular response when an 8 year old tries to stick a cat inside you? you throw your arms up?

p to the e wrote: »
    How would he fit a wheelie bin in a microwave?

Facepalm!

Get your coat. Leave. Now.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Even before my youngest son could put it in words (we're talking not even two years old), he was afraid of the oven and would point it and make a sound with his lips to denote that he knew it was hot.

So while I'm not sure I would go as far as some of the nascent psychopath statements (but not discounting totally them either) but it's hard to believe that a normal 8 year-old cannot make the connection between a live animal and an oven or microwave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

There was a gorilla called Koko in America who was given a pet cat. When the cat died Koko used sign langauge to express sorrow that the cat had died. A gorilla understands the difference between alive and dead so I have trouble believing a 8 year old human doesnt. If I was that kids parent id bring him to therapy.

But your comparing your own individual experience to the entire population of children. Just because your child got it and never made any mistakes doesn't mean that's going to be the case across the board. There could be so many different reason the kid did this, from jealously to stupidity to cruelty. I just wouldn't assume the kid is a psychopath down to one paragraph in a newspaper.

But your comparing your own individual experience to the entire population of children. Just because your child got it and never made any mistakes doesn't mean that's going to be the case across the board. There could be so many different reason the kid did this, from jealously to stupidity to cruelty. I just wouldn't assume the kid is a psychopath down to one paragraph in a newspaper.

Okay but here's the thing: unless the kid is mentally handicapped, he has to be dealt with.

You can't say "oh he knows it's bad now, hopefully he won't decide to cook another animal".

I'm sure everyone on the side of "burn him like he burned the cat" would glady admit they're wrong if it turned out it was a one off.

But the issue isn't that. The issue is you and people like you who don't think he needs to be looked at. You can't say "oh, bad boy, don't do it again" and hope he won't.

But your comparing your own individual experience to the entire population of children. Just because your child got it and never made any mistakes doesn't mean that's going to be the case across the board.

I'm not comparing anything with anything. I'm simply saying if the child feels its acceptable to microwave his pets, regardless of the situation, he needs help.
    There could be so many different reason the kid did this, from jealously to stupidity to cruelty.

Any & all of those examples would still warrant saying the child needs help. Mind boggling why this wouldn't throw up alarm bells for some people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

steddyeddy wrote: »
    There was a gorilla called Koko in America who was given a pet cat. When the cat died Koko used sign langauge to express sorrow that the cat had died. A gorilla understands the difference between alive and dead so I have trouble believing a 8 year old human doesnt. If I was that kids parent id bring him to therapy.

Firstly I'm sure the kid knew the difference between alive and dead. But those concepts to a child are not what they are to an adult. Secondly a gorilla being taught to sign is proof of nothing but a gorilla being taught to sign. What is the gorillas concept of sorrow ? Something has changed ? I didnt want it to change ? Why it not move ?

There is an enormous difference in understanding after the fact that something has changed and understanding before hand the consequences of your actions and how it relates to the concepts of life, death and suffering and other instances of life.

A kid may know something is wrong, they may know its more wrong than other things but they dont really understand why thats the case. You do what your told until your of an age to understand enough about your actions to be responsible for yourself.

Thats the difference between a kid and an adult. Its not as simple as the kid knew the cat would be harmed ergo he wanted to harm the cat ergo he's evil ergo he'll graduate onto more and more evil things.

You ask any 8 year old whats wrong with killing things and you'll get a stock reply of "its bad". They dont understand this stuff they just know there is stuff they should do and stuff they shouldnt. So its a discipline issue at that age more than its any deep rooted urge to harm things. Unless they develop a tendency to do those things that is. Then you can question whether their concept of these things is a bit skewed.

But the issue isn't that. The issue is you and people like you who don't think he needs to be looked at. You can't say "oh, bad boy, don't do it again" and hope he won't.
    I never made any such claims. People have instantly branded him a psychotic without knowing any real details about the story. Plenty of kids have done that and worse and gone onto being completely normal adults (after they've been beaten by their parents, which would have been the punishment back in my day).

All I'm doing is dismissing the nonsense that the child is obviously an "evil" "psychopath". He may very well be but nobody in this thread knows enough to say either way.

20 years from now he may very well still feel bad for what he did and may not understand how he could do it.

• Advertisement

I never made any such claims. People have instantly branded him a psychotic without knowing any real details about the story. Plenty of kids have done that and worse and gone onto being completely normal adults (after they've been beaten by their parents, which would have been the punishment back in my day).

All I'm doing is dismissing the nonsense that the child is obviously an "evil" "psychopath". He may very well be but nobody in this thread knows enough to say either way.

20 years from now he may very well still feel bad for what he did and may not understand how he could do it.

It seems like you have. Or at least it feels like you're saying "no, he can't have any "evil" reason for doing that". I get that it might have been a mistake but trust me, if I had decided to put a cat into a microwave at the age of 8, I'd have wanted to check myself into therapy.

It's not as if we're saying "kill the kid; don't give him a chance". We're saying "he's messed up; he needs help".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

My nanny cooked cat in the oven once.

She was making buns and when she was away from the oven with the door open a cat hopped in to get warm, she came back, didn't see the cat in there so she threw in the buns and closed the door on it. She's not been mad about cats ever since.

It seems like you have. Or at least it feels like you're saying "no, he can't have any "evil" reason for doing that".
    I don't think he can have any evil reason for doing it because I don't believe in evil. Maybe he's sick in the head but that's not evil. We don't know what he was thinking, we don't even know if he intended or knew he would hurt the cat. We could assume he'd have known but without the full details it's all guess work. Unless we go to the kid and he's head starts spinning around spewing vomit like a water sprinkler I'm going to give the kid the benefit of the doubt.

I don't think he can have any evil reason for doing it because I don't believe in evil. Maybe he's sick in the head but that's not evil. We don't know what he was thinking, we don't even know if he intended or knew he would hurt the cat. We could assume he'd have known but without the full details it's all guess work. Unless we go to the kid and he's head starts spinning around spewing vomit like a water sprinkler I'm going to give the kid the benefit of the doubt.

That's why I said it in speech marks.
    The issue though is can you see why someone would want to send him to a therapist, just "in case" he has a screw loose and tried to roast the cat for kicks?

That's why I said it in speech marks.
    The issue though is can you see why someone would want to send him to a therapist, just "in case" he has a screw loose and tried to roast the cat for kicks?
    Of course, or he may need therapy because he accidentally killed his beloved cat, or he may need therapy because he's being abused and his parents have more time for the cat than they do for their own child. I don't like making guesses though.

Of course, or he may need therapy because he accidentally killed his beloved cat, or he may need therapy because he's being abused and his parents have more time for the cat than they do for their own child. I don't like making guesses though.

But you're making guesses by defendin him, no?
    You don't know why he did it. We're assuming he did it for X reason. X reason being something like "he's a psychotic little child" or "he needs help".

But my disgust at what happened aside: I'd be happy if he got the chance to get therapy even just once ot make sure he's okay.

So we agree that theraphy (at least once) to make sure the kid is fine, regardless of if he's hurting things for fun or if it's a way of acting out from abuse or what have you? :)

So we agree that theraphy (at least once) to make sure the kid is fine, regardless of if he's hurting things for fun or if it's a way of acting out from abuse or what have you? :)
    Yes, treat him like a person that needs help rather than some sick monster has been my point all along.

Yes, treat him like a person that needs help rather than some sick monster has been my point all along.

Grand by me, then. :)
    My reactions to it was assuming he did do it on purpose (like to hurt the cat or the likes) for fun or some enjoyment, rather a means of acting out or because he's mentally challeneged.

I don't think anyone would argue that. People arn't born monsters, they become monsters. So to this little 8 year old, help should most certainly be available...because it sounds to me like he kinda needs it.

It was his neighbours cat btw, not his parents beloved cat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Cause kittens are cute and fluffy!!

If it was a cockroach or a worm, no one would give a toss!
    Speak for yourself. The cockroach would be unharmed btw.

Madam_X wrote: »
    Speak for yourself. The cockroach would be unharmed btw.
    I don't think even cockaroaches can survive having all the water molecules in their body actively excited. It's not quite the same thing as surviving a nuclear explosion, microwaving is a targeted attack.

There is only one way to find out though, fortunately I don't have a microwave to test it.

EDIT: Should have consulted google first.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080101111531AAobh8D

http://www.last-word.com/content_handling/show_tree/tree_id/2281.html

They can survive a bit longer but it depends. Though buggers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Xivilai

I think the parents should be very worried about how this kid's mind work. He needs some harsh discipline.
    Children should not want to experiment with animals like that.

I don't think even cockaroaches can survive having all the water molecules in their body actively excited. It's not quite the same thing as surviving a nuclear explosion, microwaving is a targeted attack.

There is only one way to find out though, fortunately I don't have a microwave to test it.

EDIT: Should have consulted google first.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080101111531AAobh8D

http://www.last-word.com/content_handling/show_tree/tree_id/2281.html

They can survive a bit longer but it depends. Though buggers.

Er... if I was to, you know, test this out for science, will I be condemned? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

i locked my sister in the wendy house for 3 hours one day

Er... if I was to, you know, test this out for science, will I be condemned? :p
    Not by me anyway. :D Science is the best excuse for cruelty to animals. Not saying it's a good one just the best of a bad bunch. :o

• Advertisement

Not by me anyway. :D Science is the best excuse for cruelty to animals. Not saying it's a good one just the best of a bad bunch. :o

You know, I've been wanting to taste this anti-zombie injection, wanna pop over to mine for a few drinks? ;)

You know, I've been wanting to taste this anti-zombie injection, wanna pop over to mine for a few drinks? ;)
    The zombie apocalypse has to happen, it's for our own good. Otherwise I've bought all these shotguns for nothing.

The zombie apocalypse has to happen, it's for our own good. Otherwise I've bought all these shotguns for nothing.

New science test! What happens when we shoot the user with a shotgun?

For science! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

When my sisters were young the older one but baby oil & vinegar on the younger one & sent her out into the sun for the day. She had to go to hospital for weeks to get the blisters dressed. But she wasn't intentionally trying to cause her harm. She was older than 8 aswell.

I just don't know how so many people instantly see this as an act of torture/cruelty. I mean people do some horrible things to animals, I heard some awful stories today about things people did to animals as children after bringing up this story. But I can't help but think this child could have been innocent in what they did & genuinely not meant harm by it. & frankly I prefer animals to children myself, children drive me mad but I'm still inclined to think they didn't realise the harm it does. I didn't have a microwave when I was 8, let alone know how one worked

Muir wrote: »
    When my sisters were young the older one but baby oil & vinegar on the younger one & sent her out into the sun for the day. She had to go to hospital for weeks to get the blisters dressed. But she wasn't intentionally trying to cause her harm. She was older than 8 aswell.

I just don't know how so many people instantly see this as an act of torture/cruelty. I mean people do some horrible things to animals, I heard some awful stories today about things people did to animals as children after bringing up this story. But I can't help but think this child could have been innocent in what they did & genuinely not meant harm by it. & frankly I prefer animals to children myself, children drive me mad but I'm still inclined to think they didn't realise the harm it does. I didn't have a microwave when I was 8, let alone know how one worked

I was one of the most vocal on the thread about the child being at fault.
    But again, I think that he should be sent of to a specialist to be evaluated. If I am wrong (and I do hope I am), I would glady offer an apology to everyone and to the boy.

The issue is that so far, a lot of people are saying "oh he's fine, let him be" and "condemn the psychopathic child". I fell into the latter. I'd be fine with him getting some kind of help though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

I was one of the most vocal on the thread about the child being at fault.
    But again, I think that he should be sent of to a specialist to be evaluated. If I am wrong (and I do hope I am), I would glady offer an apology to everyone and to the boy.

The issue is that so far, a lot of people are saying "oh he's fine, let him be" and "condemn the psychopathic child". I fell into the latter. I'd be fine with him getting some kind of help though.

I dunno I only started using the kettle when I was 7/8. I wouldn't have been using the cooker etc. so I don't think I would have properly understood the danger & harm of these things. I was told stories today of children doing much worse things, I actually got upset hearing about it, and I know these people as adults now & they a perfectly decent members of society.

I know it's possible that there was a malicious intention behind it, but that just wouldn't be my automatic assumption. I think the parents of the child should know themselves if the child genuinely didn't mean any harm, but if they think otherwise then of course they should seek help.

Muir wrote: »
    I dunno I only started using the kettle when I was 7/8. I wouldn't have been using the cooker etc. so I don't think I would have properly understood the danger & harm of these things. I was told stories today of children doing much worse things, I actually got upset hearing about it, and I know these people as adults now & they a perfectly decent members of society.

I know it's possible that there was a malicious intention behind it, but that just wouldn't be my automatic assumption. I think the parents of the child should know themselves if the child genuinely didn't mean any harm, but if they think otherwise then of course they should seek help.

Well using them and knowing what they do is very different. I'm not saying there was or there wasn't a malicious intent. I'm saying, regardless, send him to a session of theraphy or two. Nothing over-the-top or anything. Just something simple.

Worst case scenario: he misses a few hours of school from it, best case, we lock up a potential future animal abuse (or worse).

I would glady offer an apology to everyone and to the boy.
    That's going to be a weird letter to get in the door.

"Hi, you don't know me but I'm from the internet and we've been discussing your future at great length. Luckily, for you. We've decided that you should be given professional counselling to determine if you are, or are not a psychopath.

Over the next few days a member of the internet will visit you, don't worry, despite appearances he is a trained whatyamacallit, head doctor. He will assess your normality and report back to the rest of us here at internet head quarters.

Should he give your emotional health the thumbs up you won't hear from us again and you have my sincerest apologies for the things we said about you and your family.

If on the other hand he reports back negatively, well then... :pac:......"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Some pretty impressive psychiatric evaluations going on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Some pretty impressive psychiatric evaluations going on here.

Psychiatric evaluations is pretty much the entire point of the internet.

Remember you're Bing watched all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

My nephew is 8 and he would'nt do anything like that, Jesus my daughter is 4 and she wouldn't.

There's obviously something not right with that child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

My problem is the a lack of empathy exhibited by the child. If someone is in pain I find it uncomfortable to watch. Even the thought alone of a cat being heated to death isnt a comfortabe one. Frankly if my child felt comfortable watching a cat fry I would get him help. I would be a bad parent not to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

michellie wrote: »
    My nephew is 8 and he would'nt do anything like that, Jesus my daughter is 4 and she wouldn't.

There's obviously something not right with that child.

Or with the parents? I would tell my child quite clearly, that neither a microwave, not a cat is a toy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The fact is that some kids are bad minded little bastards.
    Some people are just born bad to the bone, I hate animal cruelty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

efb wrote: »
    Im pi$sing myself here!
    Cat go ping!

I take it you have no pets then have you?

• Advertisement
Advertisement