Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pediatric dentist that doesn't cost the Earth?

Options
  • 16-08-2012 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

My 6 year old needs a root canal and 3 fillings and we have been recommended that he be put to sleep for the treatment as it is a rather big job and he is terribly scared of any dental visit.

We have been quoted €2,400 for the whole operation incl. some sealants on 3 molars.

I nearly fell of my chair when I saw the price. We hold a medical card and I know most of the treatments wont be covered anyways, but it just means I've been pretty used to small dental payments so far and that seemed like a rather steep price to pay. I know you pay for what you get and I know my son will be in good hands and all, but I'm desperately looking for a cheaper alternative without sacrificing too much on the quality of service. Is this a tall order?

If anyone has any advice/ recommendation, I would really appreciate it. Will consider travelling to up north or other parts of country.

Also, it is even worth going down Hse route? Crumlin or Dental Hospital?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

SLT wrote: »
    My 6 year old needs a root canal and 3 fillings and we have been recommended that he be put to sleep for the treatment as it is a rather big job and he is terribly scared of any dental visit.

We have been quoted €2,400 for the whole operation incl. some sealants on 3 molars.

I nearly fell of my chair when I saw the price. We hold a medical card and I know most of the treatments wont be covered anyways, but it just means I've been pretty used to small dental payments so far and that seemed like a rather steep price to pay. I know you pay for what you get and I know my son will be in good hands and all, but I'm desperately looking for a cheaper alternative without sacrificing too much on the quality of service. Is this a tall order?

If anyone has any advice/ recommendation, I would really appreciate it. Will consider travelling to up north or other parts of country.

Thanks.
    is this on baby teeth?? why root treatment on teeth that are going to fall out soon anyway if they are, if they arent isnt your child entitled to free dental care??? the fillings def are free my 7 year old got them from the school dentist ie the public one , all children going to school are entitled to free dental treatment unless your child goes to a fee paying school

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

I would contact the patient Services Manager in the Dublin Dental Hospital.

She will know if it is possible to have this treatment done for you child in the dental hospital. You may have to wait a while for treatment.
    The dental hospital mainly do treatment with a dental student who is supervised by a qualified dentist or professor in the dental school.
    I know that at one stage for children the work was carried out be qualified dentists who were doing further post grad qualifications to deal with children.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I'm with cordub on this one, what on earth is a 6 year old doing getting root canal ?. Firstly, get a second opinion, your child is free with the local health centre. I do know that Crumlin Hosp does have a dental service, but you'd either have to discuss this with your GP or ring Crumlin yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

A root canal on a baby tooth is not the same as one on a permanent tooth. Much easier and less expensive to do. I presume the dentist is placing a little stainless crown on the tooth also. A good dentist should manage that in about 20-30 minutes. However working on a 6 year old can be difficult if the kid isn't cooperative. It must be the general anaesthetic that is pushing the price up.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭day dreamer

Hi there

treatment in Crumlin limited to patients of the hospital, i.e the very sick or those referred in through HSE, usually those with special needs.

Root canal treatment on a milk tooth is done routinely, it help preserve the space for the adult tooth.

All children are entitled to dental treatment in the HSE clinics. Unfortunately cutbacks and staff shortages have curtailed this service greatly. Only those in target classes are called and outside this they will see you in an emergency. Then emergency treatment limited to fixing adult teeth or pain relief (usually extractions) so it is unlikely that you will get all the necesary work done via the HSE but worth a try.

If the work is being done under GA this could be the reason for a lot of the costs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 SLT

Day_dreamer, thanks for giving the right answers to a lot of the questions posed.

Yes, the GA and hospital fees are the main expense. Hospital fee (Beacon!) is priced at 850 euro and Anaesthetist Fee at 525 euro. Then the fillings and root canal adds up...I mean, where else would they put a child to sleep for less than that?

He was at a dentist 8 weeks ago and a not very child friendly dentist (emergency, on a sunday!) put in a temporary medicine as there was absess in the tooth. I don't think the medicine is supposed to last so long..so i really want his tooth sorted.

Rang Dublin Dental Hospital and got him referred to there and HOPEFULLY they will at least see him SOON (how can i speed it up?, any advice/tips?) as I have read that the waiting times are unbearable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

Is the tooth actually abscessed? then the only treatment option is extraction. remove the tooth and probably place a space maintainer.

Root canal treatments on infected baby teeth are not successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 SLT

Hmm.. Georgieporgy, that is interesting thing you pointed out. The first dentist said so and the two subsequent dentists I brought him to didn't oppose to the idea that there is abscess on tooth. The most recent visit was to a private paediatrician who did an X-ray on him and hence suggested root canal and the stainless steel crown on. So I guess I never question that plan of action (root canal)
    Would the X-ray not give a good picture of what the tooth needs?

Thanks for helping me think here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭ManMade

SLT wrote: »

Thanks.
    Since they government toke away away PRSI benefits you may as well get used to stupid prices. The problem with the PRSI was it allowed dentists to shove their prices sky high without anyone even registering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Wrong, they have had to be lowered since Prsi scrapped because without the insurance patients have to pay more of the cost of treatment. As people's financial situations have worsened, dentists have reduced prices to improve affordability and keep patients coming in.

Show me one dentist who has increased prices since 2008, I'll show you an idiot disconnected from reality.

The high cost of the treatment above is because of the GA,.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Viy

Hi, I know your message was posted last August. Just wondering how you got on with your son. My 6 year old has been advised he needs root canal treatment too and we have been quoted 3200 which is very expensive I think. Just looking for some advice here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

the vast majority of this fee if for the general anaesthetic not the dental treatment, maybe sedation or gas would be OK. Ask your dentist if that is possible.

Advertisement