Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Male bias" distorts our understanding of prehistoric man

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I dunno AK, I can sniff a bit of her own "bias" coming through myself. It also depends massively on the culture and time. Even today gender relationships vary quite markedly throughout the world. They vary markedly throughout surviving "stone age" hunter gatherers. With some it's pretty equal, though gender roles tend to be fixed even if both are valued, in others women are little more than chattel and unattached ones are in danger of abduction and rape etc.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

Wibbs wrote: »
    I dunno AK, I can sniff a bit of her own "bias" coming through myself.

I agree :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

"“The stereotypical and inaccurate view of male hunters dominating their more submissive female counterparts is an articulation of male bias in archaeology."

Is it just me or is she strawmanning here? as far as I'm aware such views have not been orthodox for quite some time. It's kind of like writing a book challenging the 'stereotypical and inaccurate view' that all dinosaurs were cold blooded lizards - pointless in that nobody really subscribes to it anymore.

edit: about the best example of gender bias I can find is me tagging threads like this under 'cave man'.

Advertisement