Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

H100 & 3570K Overclocking

Options
  • 16-08-2012 3:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭

Being a gigantic man-child I couldnt resist staying up to stupid o'clock to install the H100 I just got.

Firstly some feed back. People say the fans are loud. They're not. They make your ears bleed! I have been on quieter helicopters. My cat jumped on the case and was levitates a foot in the air. The product as it ships is bloody stupid - there is no way to use the fans on max as they come. I've hooked them up to a fan controller for now until I can replace them.

That aside I think I have another issue. When I plug the fans into the pump one gets stuck on 100%. The fan is fine if I plug it into my other fan controller and oddly - if I plug the second fan on to the header the stuck one was just on it works okay. Do you think that is the fan or the controller that is banjaxed? I really cant isolate either the fan or the header as the culprit.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Okay technical issues above aside.

At 4.6Ghz I'm getting 87C on my hottest core on Intel Burn Test on maximum. When I drop into prime95 I'm not breaking 80C (High 70s) is that okay.

I think I'm at the lowest voltage I can go +0.135 offset from stock. I was getting crashes at +0.125 and have had one at the +0.135 setting but I'm chalking that down to running out of RAM. Thoughts?

I'll leave Prime95 going tonight for a few hours and see if I get any errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I tend not to trust IBT for longevity. I've found that in most cases, and hour or longer of IBT will run fine, but I'll get crashes anywhere from 15-20 hours into Prime. How much does this impact on stability? Couldn't tell ya. I just like to be as sure as I can be with OCs.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Akvavit

I have a H100 in the mail somewhere between here and the OCUK warehouse - so I will look forward to your thoughts on this cooler.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Beez

I also have the 3570k and a H100 and am getting very similar temps at 4.5Ghz with fans on low. On low they are extremely quiet and a few degree dif in temp compared to high so i never bothered replacing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

its recommended that you don't run IBT with ivy. prime95 stable will be as high as the temps will go ingame, so it should be fine. I'd still play a few hours of your favorite game just to be in the clear. try explaining to the misses that you're not gaming, but testing an overclock. she'd leave me :o

• Advertisement

Thanks TB I've got rid of it - I'm finally stable at 4.5Ghz +0.145 offset - I'm going to start adding some loadline calibration. Off to play with the GPU for a bit will update this one in a few days.

Still got exams next week :(

Okay stability testing 4.6Ghz now. I'm at 1.368v though hiting 80-81C on prime.

Thoughts?

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Re. the fan controller/pump of the H100, IIRC its the same as the H80's which I use w/i5 2500k. I had similar issues with the fans-one was always running @ 100%, seems a common enough issue with them.

You can reset the pump by holding the pump button for 5 secs and rebooting (I think-give a look on the corsair forums for full details), and it seems to rectify issue for a while-but the issue recurred for me even after several issues.

Instead of RMA ing and getting a replacement with the same issue (happened a few people), I set the pump to speed setting 2 and connected both fans (push-pull) to the motherboard, one to the CPU header & the second to chassis fan 3 or 4, and control them via AI suite. Max I temp get running standard IBT test is 63 deg C, idles at 29 deg C.

BTW I have two of those lovely corsair fans that came with free to anyone who wants them :P

glynf wrote: »
    Re. the fan controller/pump of the H100, IIRC its the same as the H80's which I use w/i5 2500k. I had similar issues with the fans-one was always running @ 100%, seems a common enough issue with them.

You can reset the pump by holding the pump button for 5 secs and rebooting (I think-give a look on the corsair forums for full details), and it seems to rectify issue for a while-but the issue recurred for me even after several issues.

Instead of RMA ing and getting a replacement with the same issue (happened a few people), I set the pump to speed setting 2 and connected both fans (push-pull) to the motherboard, one to the CPU header & the second to chassis fan 3 or 4, and control them via AI suite. Max I temp get running standard IBT test is 63 deg C, idles at 29 deg C.

BTW I have two of those lovely corsair fans that came with free to anyone who wants them :P

Thanks G thats a major help - will save me RMAing the bloody thing. I need to do some serious work on cooling fans - luckily I have noise canceling head phones - I need them at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

No probs. Other than the flaky fan control, I think thee H80 is the business.
    I had an Antec Kuhler 620 which I returned because of a constant gurgling/air bubbles in it, never had similar issue with the H80.

• Advertisement
Advertisement