Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you ever pretend to be stupid?

• 16-08-2012 3:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

I do it all the time. One of my friends figured this out and is outraged.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    I do it all the time. One of my friends figured this out and is outraged.

Thoughts?

I don't have any - I'm too stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

Yes, well I have the most innocent face so I do ham it up a bit when needed, especially when confronted by boss-like people and the such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Stupid is as stupid does

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

I pretend to be smart,it works on people who are stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Stupid is as stupid does

The fool doth think he is wise but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

Apparently George W Bush acted more stupid than he was to appease the American public. See below

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

A female friend once told me she hated it when her friends dumbed themselves down so they could get guys to like them. I was shocked. But it did explain some of the comments I'd heard women come out with in the pub.

I play stupid in work sometimes. Well, not stupoid, but I definitely tone it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Sometimes act stupid because I'm worried people will see me as some sort of smartarse. Lately though I've figured out it's really them that's the problem and not me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Why would anyone do this?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

No, I'm pretty comfortable with my intelligence. I can interact with others without shoving this in others' faces but that doesn't mean I dumb myself down!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

If someone I don't know that well says something that I know isn't true confidently, I won't correct him/her or anything. I'm not sure if that counts as acting stupid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Doc wrote: »

It gives the pretender a psychological advantage. It puts the pretender's prey at ease that he is superior of mind.

If the pretender asks stupid questions the prey may adopt a parental/protective role which can be used by the pretender for all sorts of manipulative shenanigans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

WumBuster wrote: »
    Apparently George W Bush acted more stupid than he was to appease the American public. See below

Interesting vid. I remember Michael Moore claiming something similar although I think his argument was more that by acting stupid, Bush could plausibly plead ignorance should he need to - e.g. in the case of a possible impeachment. Clinton was impeached for a hell of a lot less...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Grayson wrote: »
    A female friend once told me she hated it when her friends dumbed themselves down so they could get guys to like them. I was shocked. But it did explain some of the comments I'd heard women come out with in the pub.

This is a recognised thing, and a lot of women don't even realise they're doing it. It's been studied over and over, and it's been proven that women perceived to be dumb are considered superficially more attractive. Women respond in kind by dumbing themselves down in the presence of males they find attractive.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/9289125/Men-more-attracted-to-women-who-act-dumb.html

I see it happening, and I see it working, and I find it incredibly frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

It's a decent tactic for the right (usually professional) situation. People gravitate towards others that they feel more intelligent around, so it's an easy trade off to play dumb around them and they'll eventually tell you everything they know. They don't see you as a threat, after all. You also see a person's true colours a lot quicker once they start to monologue around you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

It gives the pretender a psychological advantage. It puts the pretender's prey at ease that he is superior of mind.

If the pretender asks stupid questions the prey may adopt a parental/protective role which can be used by the pretender for all sorts of manipulative shenanigans.

That might work for some people but I just don't like hanging out with stupid people so would avoid them.

In work I never wish to seem stupid and certainly don't want to actively try to be seen as stupid by anyone.

I really don't see the advantage of acting in anyway other then yourself among your friends.

If you are intelligent but act dumb among friends then in my opinion you're not just acting stupid you are stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Tweedle Dumb

Chocolate. definitely chocolate cake is my favourite...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Who's acting..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I used to always pretend I didn't know what was going on in school so teachers would leave me alone. They'd tended to ignore the kids who wouldn't speak up and shower attention on the attention seekers so if I was asked a question I'd pretend I didn't know the answer just so they'd leave me alone.

I pretended I didn't know how to work the stock scanner in work so they'd get someone else to do it cause it bores me to tears. They wouldn't waste the time training me to do it anyway.

So if those classify as pretending to be stupid, then yes I do.

Pretending not to have a braincell in your body to impress someone is a completely different thing, I can spot it a mile, I know loads of girls that do it cause they think its funny, but really, they just look like tools cause everyone can see through it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

A lot of people say that I pretend to be stupid after having a good few drinks, but I know it's them being stupid, 'cause they can't understand me. . .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Pretend? No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

Doc wrote: »

Agree always makes me think of acting Columbo
    the KISS Method. "K.I.S.S" is an acronym for "Keep-It-Simple-Stupid". When the salesman employs this method they will behave as if they are too stupid to answer the customer’s questions. In other words, by acting stupid they won't answer any questions that they don't wish to answer.
    The "Colombo Act' is a popular variation of the "KISS" method and is often used during price negotiations. This is when the salesmen will model themselves after the bumbling television character "Colombo". In other words, they will act incompetent while actually controlling the pace and direction of the conversation.

The salesman maintains control of the customer by acting as though they don’t possess the capacity to answer exotic questions like price and payment. Not to mention, the salesman's act of incompetence may give the customer a feeling of superiority which leads them to rely on a false sense of being in control.
    www.hoopdi.com/guide/index.php/Car-Dealer-Secrets/The-KISS-Method.html
    Well worth a read.

Like Bertie I'm just a simple common man & of course no smart people would fall for this, too smart you know ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

Occasionally I'll not only play stupid, but also draw the retro-racism card. If someone approaches me or accosts me in a manner I don't feel like bothering with, whether they are rude or aggressive or annoying, I will often just say, "No English".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

I sometimes pretend to be a cunt. Other times I'm not pretending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Grayson wrote: »

This is a recognised thing, and a lot of women don't even realise they're doing it. It's been studied over and over, and it's been proven that women perceived to be dumb are considered superficially more attractive. Women respond in kind by dumbing themselves down in the presence of males they find attractive.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/9289125/Men-more-attracted-to-women-who-act-dumb.html

But women never dumb themselves down around me...

foreveralone.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Yep, I often do it. It's sometimes good to keep your cards close to your chest.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

I do it sometimes but not often.

Louis Theroux is excellent at it and it is basically his entire interview technique

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭Echoes675

I would do it when liaising with any kind of tech support but in such a way that my answers actually steer the conclusion my way :) such as warranty repairs/replacements etc.. Internet connectivity issues. If they are fobbing me off with some kind of rubbish answer/suggestion I'll let them know that I actually do know what I'm talking about and get my way that way. (I work in a company providing support for the IT infrastructure in the NHS/GP surgeries across the UK so am more proficient than most of the "tech guys" in call centers out there)

I know this is a bit manipulative but it's just easier cause invariably these guys are so glued to their script that if you let them know you know your shít they can't seem to handle it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

It's hard to explain but I found myself pretending to stumble over words when growing up to fit in more.

My mother shoved alot of books in front of me as a child. Because of this, my vocabulary was far superior to pretty much everyone elses. But nobody likes a know-it-all so I would "um...." occasionally even when I knew exactly what word I was searching for and it was a fake pause.

I still do it to this day from force of habit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Certainly not on boards in all and any ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

That is weird. I've always been attracted to brains. The idea of sitting at home with a woman who's dumb is just horrible. But I guess the article makes sense. If you're looking for a one night stand, a dumb girl is going to be easier to chat up, so guys would subconsciounsly target them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

2+2=5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

i usually pretend i'm stupid when i go shoplifting,

e.g 'sorry mr.security guard i forgot i put the tray of dutch gold underneath the shopping trolly' same charade applies for tracksuits under the buggy in champion sports ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I sometimes pretend I'm a Fire Engine, does that count. It started..... oh sh1t gotta go, I have a call out.

Ne Na
    Ne Na
    Ne Na
    Ne Na
    Ne Na

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Apparently, this is quite accurate. Dumbed down Reagan vs the Reagan we didn't see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

If I hear something really stupid by a girl I kind of tend to think she is stupid. Okay for a roll in the hay though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I could be wrong, but i think acting stupid is very much a female thing. I have no idea why, but it seems to be the case.
    Smart is sexy ladies, smart is sexy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I don't understand the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

I think this question is very confussing. My hed hurts. p.s. where is the 'return key'

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

I love lamp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Kirby wrote: »
    It's hard to explain but I found myself pretending to stumble over words when growing up to fit in more.

My mother shoved alot of books in front of me as a child. Because of this, my vocabulary was far superior to pretty much everyone elses. But nobody likes a know-it-all so I would "um...." occasionally even when I knew exactly what word I was searching for and it was a fake pause.

I still do it to this day from force of habit.

You don't do that with us, we can never get you to shut up now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Guilty or not guilty, stupid your honour, I didn't know. They usually feel pity and say case dismissed as they shake their head.

Yeah pretending to be ignorant gets me out of so many infractions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

When pulled over ion the car by the guards, STUPIT TIME!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »

Stupid subservient time, Oh Yes your guardship,,absolutely, I am really really sorry your worship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Colmustard wrote: »
    Stupid subservient time, Oh Yes your guardship,,absolutely, I am really really sorry your worship.

How subtle :rolleyes:

How subtle :rolleyes:

What
    I could say what's up pig, nothing better to be doing, could you just p1ss off and let me on my way.

I suppose that might work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

I have a good spoken vocabulary. I sometimes don't select the exact word that I want to use because people won't understand and they'll make me feel like Im showing off. But that's just with certain friends. With others I can use all my big words! And I'm in my 30's so should be past all this crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

cowzerp wrote: »

Exactly the time to act stupid, same if you've parked somewhere you shouldn't - looking confused and acting repentant usually works.

Otherwise, it's pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I try to pretend to be smart...

Although I have noticed it a lot with girls in my college who act absolutely dumb. I don't think they even realise how bloody dumb and stupid they're acting. And you know they're pretending to be dumb and stupid because you can't get into the course I'm doing if you're dumb and furthermore these girls are also the ones who always get honours in exams so you know they're a lot more intelligent than they pretend to be. Its pretty annoying and fake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

"Me no speaky da inglis" I said to the TV license inspector

Well no I didn't but I plan to if he corners me someday

• Advertisement
Advertisement