Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI: League of Ireland Fixtures (Weeks 23/24) Aug 17-20, 2012

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

[As far as I'm aware the league tables are correct, but will amend if necessary.]

Double week for everyone in the Premier but Rovers and a huge game on Friday night for Drogs to keep their challenge going and Rovers to get second spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I miss stovelid :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

To be honest I don't think we have a challenge left. Sligo need to loose 3 games from their remaining 11 and that ain't going to happen now is it? Ultimately we want 3 points out of it but a score draw I think is on the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Des wrote: »

What happened with that guy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Rumour has it he is in a Thai prison after being caught in a field with a pumpkin. His defense of "it wasn't a pumpkin before 12" didn't work in court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Games Friday and Monday.

There was a time I used to look forward to weekends like this. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

dfx- wrote: »
    Double week for everyone in the Premier but Rovers
    And Dundalk.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Two tough games for us. Don't expect much against Derry, been a while since we got more than a point off them.

Win against Shels is achievable though.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

iregk wrote: »
    To be honest I don't think we have a challenge left. Sligo need to loose 3 games from their remaining 11 and that ain't going to happen now is it? Ultimately we want 3 points out of it but a score draw I think is on the cards.

Doubtful that shams will challenge but i fear pats - great result in cork.
    We have to play them home and away and they are the best team we played this season(including trnava)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

"Midweek fixtures" in an already poorly supported league! Why? FFS, we hasd to travel to Drogs on a Monday, now they have to return the favour to us. Make the season 3 weeks longer and keep them all to the weekends where possible.

With regards the games, I will be happy with 4 points from the 2 games, but reckon we will end up with 1 :mad:

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote: »
    "Midweek fixtures" in an already poorly supported league! Why?

To cut down on the number of weeks clubs have to pay wages.

Surely the hit thats taken on the gates would offset that?

Like we had 2100 on Monday for SPA whereas had that game been a Friday we would had about 500 more through the gates (I know that game was moved because of their Euro campaign).

It means clubs can play an away game on a Monday and have a home game (and income) on a Friday.

It's not perfect, but it's understandable from a financial point of view.

We have been away to Drogs midweek, now they are away to us midweek.

Bray are away to us during the next midweek program, yet we have been away to them on a Friday.

Makes zero sense to me anyway. Clubs want butts on seats. Monday games do not help this.

I see what you are saying, but take it to the nth degree, there should be more series of midweeks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Des wrote: »

We must exist in a post-stovelid world :(

Actually we have UCD on Monday. Probably the best team to have for that fixture as they're not likely to bring any fans anyway.
    Personally this season is costing me a fortune. I've only missed two away games.

Hopeful of three points tomorrow night. Quigley is on decent form at the minute and Buchanan could feature and looks to have a few goals in him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

I fear for Shels tonight......anything like last week and we are getting a whipping :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

Dub XV wrote: »
    I fear for Shels tonight......anything like last week and we are getting a whipping :o

i fear a backlash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

We will play badly and we will lose badly.

Its a long time since we've won up there. Still, guess we'll have to start sometime!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

CSF wrote: »
    We will play badly and we will lose badly.

But I don't want to go to Tolka Park to see Shels getting pumped :confused:

*goes in a huff*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Looks like the last time Sligo won a League match in Tolka was in 1994! :eek: We'll still lose 3-0 tbh, with Quigley banging them in and Ndo getting a sing song from the New Stand!

Looks like the last time Sligo won a League match in Tolka was in 1994! :eek: We'll still lose 3-0 tbh, with Quigley banging them in and Ndo getting a sing song from the New Stand!

So you don't think, Chris Bennion will keep a clean sheet? Always expect the unexpected, I guess, Sligo have to win and they might underestimate Shels. i happened before

Lars1916 wrote: »
    So you don't think, Chris Bennion will keep a clean sheet? Always expect the unexpected, I guess, Sligo have to win and they might underestimate Shels. i happened before

I don't rate Bennion at all, Deano is a better keeper and he has the moviation because he loves this club!

Sligo will hammer us tbh, maybe not on the scoreline but definitely possession wise, etc... Granted our bus only made the 2nd half of the match in Sligo but Sligo absolutely bossed the 2nd half.

You're right about the unexpected, Shels managed to beat Derry up there this season when we hadn't won up there in years.

I don't rate Bennion at all, Deano is a better keeper and he has the moviation because he loves this club!

Sligo will hammer us tbh, maybe not on the scoreline but definitely possession wise, etc... Granted our bus only made the 2nd half of the match in Sligo but Sligo absolutely bossed the 2nd half.

You're right about the unexpected, Shels managed to beat Derry up there this season when we hadn't won up there in years.

Was reading some slagging against Bennion, maybe Sligo think, they can beat him with every shot and maybe, he will play the match of his life, just to prove all the critics wrong ;)

btw...will there be a long crowd outside the ticket office? Am planning to be down at Tolka at 7:30ish and want to pay a short visit to the Bar before the match starts? Or would that be too late? I don't want to miss the kick off, want to take one or two decent pics of the New Stand when the teams enter the pitch :)

Lars1916 wrote: »

btw...will there be a long crowd outside the ticket office? Am planning to be down at Tolka at 7:30ish and want to pay a short visit to the Bar before the match starts? Or would that be too late? I don't want to miss the kick off, want to take one or two decent pics of the New Stand when the teams enter the pitch :)

I've had a season ticket for years so don't use the ticket office but you might be better off going for about 7.15 depending on how quick you drink a pint!

I've had a season ticket for years so don't use the ticket office but you might be better off going for about 7.15 depending on how quick you drink a pint!

I have a very long and exhausting walk all the way down Grace Park Road, I might even have two pints. It's for a good cause anyway :D

So I better leave a few minutes earlier ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Cant see Bray getting much from the next two games, prob nothing tonight.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Actually we have UCD on Monday. Probably the best team to have for that fixture as they're not likely to bring any fans anyway.
    I might go now just to spite ya ;)
    Perfect opportunity to get off the bottom tonight with Dundalk not playing. Same result as the first day of the season would great.

• Advertisement

Hammer I wont make the match tonight. Family has to come first. Prob be 2 weeks till next one for me.

No problem man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

UCD 1-0 up against City after 10 minutes. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Big Jay heads in a corner in the first 2 minutes. 1-0 Rovers :)

Hope you weren't late in @ Lars! :D

Keigan Parker equalises for Cork, others are still 0-0.

2-0 Rovers, Peers gets the second after 16 minutes. Both CBs have scored now :)

Fantastic start!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

City 2-1 down, o.g.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

1-0 to Derry, we can't seem to get anything against them =/

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

Should be further ahead. Hit the post, had a shot cleared off the line and the Cork keepers made some great saves. John Dunleavy had to be taken off with a nasty looking injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

3-0 rovers a Penalty, Buchanan brought down. Quigley scored it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

Bray beat St. Pats 1-0! 3 red cards in the match, 2 for St. Pats. :eek:

Hmm, seems like there was only 1 red card each. Futbol24 had took away Pat's 2nd red.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

now 3-1 in tolka that now a result.good night for rovers puts us closer to the title

Im shocked. And delighted. Huge win given ucd won and dundalk not playing.

• Advertisement

Chris Turner with another red card, for a headbutt this time.

Clearly Alan Keane's fault.

That might have done it for Matthews. Probably not though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭kksaints

Really are the fans getting angry? Was wondering about the Cork manager as well.

Bad loss for us today. Thats any chance of the league pretty much gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

kksaints wrote: »

Really are the fans getting angry? Was wondering about the Cork manager as well.

I hear Clarke was bad for there goal??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭kksaints

Gringo180 wrote: »
    I hear Clarke was bad for there goal??

Wasnt there. Comms said it went in at the near post but I dont know.

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Big Jay heads in a corner in the first 2 minutes. 1-0 Rovers :)

Hope you weren't late in @ Lars! :D

Keigan Parker equalises for Cork, others are still 0-0.

2-0 Rovers, Peers gets the second after 16 minutes. Both CBs have scored now :)

Fantastic start!

No, I was right in time to have a pint in the Bar, before I could 'enjoy' the match. The 2:0...was in the New Stand...don't know, if I can call that one 'unlucky goalkeeping' :confused:

kksaints wrote: »

There are very few who could even tolerate him for another week. The man is a neanderthal with no footballing philosophy and needs to go now.

Can't imagine you'll be too quickly inclined back to Tolka after that Lars.

Is it true he stuck with 1 man up front despite ye being 2 down?

Things like that are baffling. He's a shocking manager though, always plays anti-football.

Why? Do you think, I brought bad luck? ;)

Don't know, it all seemed to be very unlucky, if you are 1:0 down after a few minutes it's always some uphill battle, I suppose

• Advertisement
Advertisement