Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incorrect grades given

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 NewStart!

Yeah It happened to me :( In geography went in to view the scripts because I wasn't happy with my "result" got a c3 on the certificate looked at the paper - B1 written on the front cover :/
    Looked at my agricultural science exam and they hadn't added in my project :o went up to grades there !
    Needless to say I advise EVERYONE to look at all there scripts now ! Ended up getting the points for my first course but by that time I was in my course now had a house settled and everything ! Worked out for me well in the end but still those errors should not occur ! !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

dambarude wrote: »
    If a clear mistake has been made in transferring your final mark/grade to the results database you can get it rectified without a recheck. An example would be where your results sheet said you got a B3 in Biology, but when your script was handed to you during viewing it said on the front page that you got 397/400 so should have got an A1. I'd say this happens very rarely though.

See: http://www.examinations.ie/candidates/Candidate_Info_2012.pdf

Something like this happened to me last year. In my maths exam the examiner was supposed to pick my best 6 questions of something like that and instead picked my worst 6 - including the ones I didn't do!!!

It was easily fixed though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Cruel Sun wrote: »
    What happened then? My entire business class was left disappointed. People who got 97/98 percent in the mocks all gone down to low B's. I was sure I'd gotten an A, worked hard at the subject for the 2 years, as did many others. We had a fantastic teacher, who used to mark leaving certs, I got an A in almost every test yet I only get a B2 in the exam.

How can a whole class do that badly? It seems fairly inconsistent to me, why was our school singled out, why are some schools given easier markers than others, all they have to do is follow a marking scheme. The subject is business, it's not as if it's English, in most cases the answer is either right or wrong.

Honestly something like Chavways described doesn't seem impossible either.
    I remember someone here once said their history class had the same problem. Some didn't mind, some did. After a few in a class get pulled up, the SEC gets the whole class recorrected on the basis that the corrector was bad, and the person said everyone got an amended results sheet a few weeks later.

Also, I don't think there really is a "last few exams" to be corrected as some people are saying. Every corrector has their own last few, surely? The bell curve is national, not local.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I'm frustrated with business as well as English I knew more information than I did last year. I didn't even know the correct way to answer most question but I still got another D3 and last year I felt the paper went awful this year it felt like it went good. I just find the English very shocking as I did do well all throughout the year and I worked so hard but I've always been okay with English. Can paper 1 bring you down?
    This paper was left until the end and we didn't have a lot of practice with paper 1 can it bring you down? all my practice was mainly with paper 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭opticalillusion

This thread gives me hope.

• Advertisement

I'm frustrated with business as well as English I knew more information than I did last year. I didn't even know the correct way to answer most question but I still got another D3 and last year I felt the paper went awful this year it felt like it went good. I just find the English very shocking as I did do well all throughout the year and I worked so hard but I've always been okay with English. Can paper 1 bring you down?
    This paper was left until the end and we didn't have a lot of practice with paper 1 can it bring you down? all my practice was mainly with paper 2.
    Of course it could bring you down, in fact I think it often does bring people down a small bit because most are under the impression that you can't study for it. This year Pleaney on P2 probably brought a lot of people down. Depends on the person really, could be great at the language and not know the prescribed material, or be average at it and know it all. :)

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Of course it could bring you down, in fact I think it often does bring people down a small bit because most are under the impression that you can't study for it. This year Pleaney on P2 probably brought a lot of people down. Depends on the person really, could be great at the language and not know the prescribed material, or be average at it and know it all. :)

I'm sure my poetry went great and the general vision although I forgot the characters in dancing with lughnasa and compared 2 main characters with the mundy sisters(might've got marked down here) as I was under pressure and forgot the names but the answer was perfect apart from that . I know my hamlet question went terrible apart from that. Then paper 1 was good apart from the question b in descriptive writing and I wasn't used to any of the other question bs that came up. So I'm thinking that paper 1 brought me down.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Daisy03

It happened me in Irish five years ago. I got a B1 in Irish when I would normally have been an A1 student. Although disappointed, I was happy as I had enough points for my course. My teacher convinced me to appeal and it turned out the marks had been added up incorrectly. It also happened to the girl I sat next to as they left out the marks from her essay.

Of course it could just be that different markers look for different things. In sixth year I was worried that my English teacher was marking my essays too easy. I was never brilliant at English but as soon as I got her in fifth year I started getting A's. I asked another teacher that I knew well to correct an essay that had already been corrected by my own teacher. I rewrote it exactly and gave it to her. My result with my own teacher was an A2 but the other teacher graded it a C1.

I'm sure my poetry went great and the general vision although I forgot the characters in dancing with lughnasa and compared 2 main characters with the mundy sisters(might've got marked down here) as I was under pressure and forgot the names but the answer was perfect apart from that . I know my hamlet question went terrible apart from that. Then paper 1 was good apart from the question b in descriptive writing and I wasn't used to any of the other question bs that came up. So I'm thinking that paper 1 brought me down.
    You might have not applied yourself to the poetry question, lost purpose marks and when that happens, you lose the marks down the list too, even if your clarity/language are fine. I didn't do that GVV question, it was awful I thought and very unusual, so I can't comment there. No harm viewing it anyway to see. :)
    Daisy03 wrote: »

Of course it could just be that different markers look for different things. In sixth year I was worried that my English teacher was marking my essays too easy. I was never brilliant at English but as soon as I got her in fifth year I started getting A's. I asked another teacher that I knew well to correct an essay that had already been corrected by my own teacher. I rewrote it exactly and gave it to her. My result with my own teacher was an A2 but the other teacher graded it a C1.
    This actually happened to me too in a way. My English teacher was great and I never doubted his marking (save for when I'd get lower purpose marks than clarity :P), but I gave an 83/100 story to my friend and her teacher gave it a B3 or something which was pretty low for me, but I got an A2 in the exam anyway. English is maybe a little too subjective.

Patchy~ wrote: »
    You might have not applied yourself to the poetry question, lost purpose marks and when that happens, you lose the marks down the list too, even if your clarity/language are fine. I didn't do that GVV question, it was awful I thought and very unusual, so I can't comment there. No harm viewing it anyway to see. :)

Yeah you might be right , I'll see when the viewing happens. I hope it's something silly like a miscalculation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Are you an examiner, is it possible mine was an admin error? As in somebody accidenty misconstrued an A for a C and consequently transcribed it incorrectly, wishful thinking?

Yes, but not this year. In English, the examiners do not deal with grades, only marks. However, it is possible that a mark from inside was not transcribed to the outside or an answer was disallowed that should not have been. Appeal and hope it is something simple like that.
    Cruel Sun wrote: »
    It seems fairly inconsistent to me, why was our school singled out, why are some schools given easier markers than others, all they have to do is follow a marking scheme.

This smacks of paranoia. Schools are not given to examiners, examiners are given a bundle of 'centres' which could be all from one really large school or a mixture of different schools and one class can be given to two different examiners. There are no 'easy examiners', there may be examiners who apply the marking scheme too leniently, but they are picked up by their Advising Examiner and often have to go and remark bundles of papers if there is a problem. It sounds like you all made the same mistake, used a wrong method or were inadequately prepared for one particular question. It may also be possible (though unlikely) that the examiner didn't apply the marking scheme properly in all of your papers.

You should all remember that mistakes do happen, they are very rare and examiners are teachers too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

@ OP and others: I'm going to say this a lot over the next few days, as every year, but ...

Arrange to VIEW any papers in which you're disappointed with the result / feel you did better than your mark suggests in the company of an *experienced examiner* in the subject if at all possible ... this might be your own teacher or another teacher from the school, or even a family friend.

This will give you a much better idea of whether you should appeal or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

English is a strange one. I don't think preparing essays or having plans is how to approach it. I only wrote one full essay this year and I only did it because it was homework. I think it's more important to read as much and as often as possible as well as the course work. The way certain teachers teach the subject get students thinking if I learn this off or if I include this many quotes then I deserve this grade. It was ridiculous back in June that people were pissed because they relied on Pleaney.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭jayo76

In response to the original question , yes it does happen that sometimes the wrong grades are recieved, either transcribed wrongly or calculation error. In the school i teach in, in the last 3 years 3 students recieved upgrades when it became clear on viewing their scripts that they had been given the wrong grade.

In light of that i would advise anyone who is very disappointed in their result to view the script. However to say that certain schools or batches or classes are targeted as some posters have suggested is utter rubbish. Equally teachers telling their classes that they suffered because of the need of an examiner to conform to the bell curve is downright wrong and a case of a teacher covering themselves.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Happened to me in English too as a matter of fact: A student always and then a B3 in the exam. This was in '97 so you could get it re-checked but couldn't actually see the paper yourself.

That year there was a bit of controversy about the grades in English and how subjective they seemed to be with pupils like myself getting grades well below expectations. It riled my mum enough for me to end up on Liveline talking to Marriane Funnicane about it :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

ixoy wrote: »
    It riled my mum enough for me to end up on Liveline talking to Marriane Funnicane about it :o
    :eek:

Lord, that was a terrible punishment to inflict on you just because your English grade was poorer than expected! :pac:

Advertisement