Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redevelopment of Brewery Road/Leopardstown Junction

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Interesting. They are providing a link road from Leopardstown Road/Brewery Road, through the hospital grounds and on to Murphystown Road - presumably under the M50. Note the 90 degree turns (on the cycle path at least) to avoid going through the British embassy residence just before/after it pops out under the M50.

Cycle routing - http://www.dlrcoco.ie/media/media,8471,en.pdf
    I couldn't find the detailed road routing. It's hard to imagine they will have those big 90 degree turns in a link road like that.

The road markings in the link that Homer911 provided indicate that they are routing M50 traffic up that direction. It seems a bit of overkill given the size of Leopardstown Road going up to the M50 past Bewleys already.

I'll pass on to my parents who still live in the area.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Not sure this will achieve much, I live and work in the area and can't see the benefit of this, there is a bridge close to the westwood gym what exactly was the use of that when it was built. Doesn't seem to be in use.

The roundabout it a killer for cyclists at the moment, a few guys in the office reg give out about drivers non indication on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Cannot wait to see the traffic that this causes during the development work!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

zagmund wrote: »
    Interesting. They are providing a link road from Leopardstown Road/Brewery Road, through the hospital grounds and on to Murphystown Road - presumably under the M50.

Definitely a new bridge:
    http://www.dlrcoco.ie/media/media,8463,en.pdf

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Not sure this will achieve much, I live and work in the area and can't see the benefit of this, there is a bridge close to the westwood gym what exactly was the use of that when it was built. Doesn't seem to be in use.

Probably a condition imposed by the racecourse for them to have continued access to their land on the south side of the motorway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

homer911 wrote: »
    Probably a condition imposed by the racecourse for them to have continued access to their land on the south side of the motorway

Thats it exactly, their overflow parking was bisected by the motorway, they still have some retained on the south side, so the bridge would only get much use on big race days

As for the newly published scheme, the reference point is the Sandyford Urban Framework plan which projects all future infrastructure in the area for about 20 years. This proposal encompasses two objectives, removing the roundabout which is not suitable for pedestrians and cyclists and also to be able to favour the peak vehicle traffic in the desired direction. The second objective, ie the link road to the back of Central Park is to open up the remaining land there for intensified development when things pick up in the future and also to link across to Murphystown Way to separate the local traffic from Motorway bound traffic where possible

Yes the construction phase will be highly disruptive but in advance of that the fun begins later this year with the break out of Burton Hall Road onto the dual carriageway bit of Leopardstown Road (Vodafone) , this is another part of that jigsaw which will divert a certain amount of Motorway-Industrial estate traffic from needing the roundabout before its removed

Larbre34 wrote: »
    the fun begins later this year with the break out of Burton Hall Road onto the dual carriageway bit of Leopardstown Road (Vodafone) , this is another part of that jigsaw which will divert a certain amount of Motorway-Industrial estate traffic from needing the roundabout before its removed

Starting in October for 8 months apparently, cant locate the drawings for it online though..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Wouldnt it make a whole lot of sense to provide an on ramp to the motorway going south while all this work is happening.Could be accessed by going across the lands currently owned by the religeous order, it's madness that I either have to through the Industrial estate or up Hillcrest Road and back down to the magic roundabout, or go Torquay/Brighton Road to the Carrickmines on ramp to access the motorway going south.

Wouldnt it make a whole lot of sense to provide an on ramp to the motorway going south while all this work is happening.Could be accessed by going across the lands currently owned by the religeous order, it's madness that I either have to through the Industrial estate or up Hillcrest Road and back down to the magic roundabout, or go Torquay/Brighton Road to the Carrickmines on ramp to access the motorway going south.

It would be too close to the southbound on ramp from the 'magic' roundabout so the traffic would conflict, and so was ruled out in the original planning of the M50 to Shankill. The NRA revisited it in more recent years and ruled it out again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

If you're going south from Leopardstown, it's often as handy to nip into the racecourse and do any business you might have in McGuirks' golf shop or Westwood then continue through to Junction 15. Of course, it's no through traffic...

• Advertisement

Dubl07 wrote: »
    If you're going south from Leopardstown, it's often as handy to nip into the racecourse and do any business you might have in McGuirks' golf shop or Westwood then continue through to Junction 15. Of course, it's no through traffic...

The horrendous speed-bumps are enough to put most people off...

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

Notice of Confirmation of Compulsory Purchase Order - Leopardstown Link Road and Roundabout Reconfiguration Phase 1

http://www.dlrcoco.ie/newsevents/latestnews/title,9390,en.html

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭arikv

Notice of Confirmation of Compulsory Purchase Order - Leopardstown Link Road and Roundabout Reconfiguration Phase 1

http://www.dlrcoco.ie/newsevents/latestnews/title,9390,en.html

any idea when is bruton hall extension due to open? and will that help cars leaving the estate in the evening or is it ine way/ busses only? TIA

arikv wrote: »
    any idea when is bruton hall extension due to open? and will that help cars leaving the estate in the evening or is it ine way/ busses only? TIA

Ive heard October to open, and no its not one way or buses only, its for all traffic, but you wont be able to turn right into it or left out of it, its to serve traffic from Sandyford to/from the motorway direction only, otherwise you keep using the main roundabout under the LUAS

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Ive heard October to open, and no its not one way or buses only, its for all traffic, but you wont be able to turn right into it or left out of it, its to serve traffic from Sandyford to/from the motorway direction only, otherwise you keep using the main roundabout under the LUAS

Thanks, I hope it`ll relief some of the pressure caused by traffic leaving the estate going towards the roundabout.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

According to DLR's road site, construction of this scheme began back in November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

DLRCOCO have published their plans for this roundabout - a new road to be created and the roundabout to be replaced with traffic lights!

Full details here
    http://www.dlrcoco.ie/aboutus/councildepartments/transportation/findit/statusofmajorroadschemes/leopardstownlinkroad/

This is the actual junction
    http://www.dlrcoco.ie/files/Leopardstown_Link_Road/Drawing_2_12.pdf

Yeah the lights work really well at the other end of sandyford. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

I think the new junction will be safer. Too many people don't have a clue how to use a roundabout this size and the pedestrian-crossing traffic lights on Brewery & Leopardstown roads are a disaster in the making.

I really wish they'd put ramps on both Brewery and Leopardstown as well. Drivers seem to regard the 50km limit as a funny joke.

Yeah pedestrian and cycle safety is abysmal in that area of sandyford / leopardstown, the change to getting rid of the minor entrances will help. However the construction period will be catastrophic for traffic.

Its not just safety though, i heard from a colleague working on the microsoft development that they were prepared to shelve their Campus development and move out of the area altogether if the traffic and access issues werent addressed

I thought this was shelved when they narrowed the roundabout and introduced a dedicated lane for those exiting left out of Sandyford Business Park?

• Advertisement

I thought this was shelved when they narrowed the roundabout and introduced a dedicated lane for those exiting left out of Sandyford Business Park?

No that was only an interim measure to provide quick relief to traffic leaving the Business Park which was backed up 20 minutes each evening. Whats starting now is a complete reworking of everything and was always going to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Just down around the entrance to Leopardstown Race Track and it really has kicked off alright. I would imagine they won't do much with existing roads with the race meeting kicking off on 26th

Bumping this as it looks like work is well underway now. The new entrance to south county business park is being developed through the racecourse entrance.

The roundabout itself is really overdue it's replacement, with the traffic levels increasing dramatically over the last year brewery road and Leopardstown road are at a standstill every morning with queues back to the N11 in either direction. Can wait until its gone.

cisk wrote: »
    Bumping this as it looks like work is well underway now. The new entrance to south county business park is being developed through the racecourse entrance.

The roundabout itself is really overdue it's replacement, with the traffic levels increasing dramatically over the last year brewery road and Leopardstown road are at a standstill every morning with queues back to the N11 in either direction. Can wait until its gone.

It's currently at its worse ever, with the temporary hard shoulder in place when coming from the N11 it's making it worse.

I hope it'll be quicker than other projects nearby (Pottery Road / Dalkey roundabout to name but a few).

if they have sense they'll:
    A. work at nights as there are not many house there and stop during rush hour.
    B. Make sure all works are done in one go and in order as opposed to digging it up a few times to get bits and bob in.

The big Sandyford businesses like microsoft were given briefings recently.

The works are all being done in one go, but in two phases. The new racecourse / business park entrance will be completed before the roundabout is touched, this is to allow both existing entrances to be closed.

The roundabout wont be started until towards the end of this year, and will take until next summer.

There will be no night works, as there are indeed a good many homes close by at Woodford, Carmanhall and Silver Pines as well as the hotel.

Traffic will be managed but disruption is expected to be very severe.

Thanks, didn't get a chance to go to the information event. Its good that its going ahead but as expected its going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Is the bridge across the M50 proceeding as part of the current works?

That would do more to improve traffic flow than all the rest of the project.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Any info on when the roundabout at the Leopardstown junction with the M50 will become a signalised crossroads? I take it the two projects are completely separate?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Aard wrote: »
    Any info on when the roundabout at the Leopardstown junction with the M50 will become a signalised crossroads? I take it the two projects are completely separate?

Didn't even know there was any proposal to do that! What's wrong with the existing set-up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Ask DLR! I imagine a signalised junction can manage traffic flows better than a roundabout. Especially when coordinated with neighbouring traffic signals.

Edit: It's also part of adding a new entrance to the industrial estate. And making it safer to cross on foot.

Advertisement