Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview and Freeview from Aeriel

Options
  • 16-08-2012 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I'm sorry if this problem has been brought up before (if so, I haven't found it).

Firstly, I'm on a hill in Wicklow Town. I have a Sky dish connected to one TV. I have two other TVs which are connected to a rooftop aeriel. Before the transmitter in N.Wales was switched off I used get all the Irish and British channels.

I bought a cheap Freeview box for one of the TVs and this has worked fine. One TV just gets the Irish channels and the other gets the Irish channels direct and the British channels via the Freeview box.

My problem is finding a single box which enables me to get both Saorview and Freeview via the existing rooftop aeriel. I don't need HD or recording. Just a simple, easy to install, relatively inexpensive solution.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 BonyMartian

I had a similar problem for which I managed to get a solution (partly) through boards.ie.

I bought a secondhand Humax HD Fox T2 box which picks up all available Irish and British channels. (£50 on eBay).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Skull Murphy

A Saorview receiver (or any DVB-T receiver that decodes MPEG4 HD) will get you the Irish digital channels & the UK Freeview standard def. channels. The generic receivers are unlikely to have text or interactive (red button) features.

A Freeview HD receiver (like that mentioned in post #2) will add the UK HD channels to this list & will provide some future proofing in the case of some of the existing UK SD channels changing to the newer transmission standard (DVB-T2), although this is likely to be some time away yet, especially if you're only receiving the PSB channels from the Arfon transmitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭newleaf

Are you working off just one aerial? You might need one to get Freeview from Wales, and a smaller one pointed differently to get Saorview.

Advertisement