Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to know for my first teaching interview?

Options
  • 16-08-2012 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have my first interview as a NQT next week and I need to know how best to prepare for the questions. We never really got a run down on how the interviews operate while I was in the PDE last year.

Does anyone here have any sources to what they might ask?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭dg647

The questions can be varied. They may ask you about subject content/curriculum, they may ask about classroom management (maybe what would you do in a certain situation). They may ask about your CV/application form so if you enhanced any bit of that make sure you have an answer for that. make sure you know a bit about LCA, TY, LCVP if they are available in the school or if they relate to your subject area.

The most important thing for an interview is that you try to relax, best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

As I posted on another thread you are wasting your time starting a new thread and hoping for full informatioin.

Do a search here on boards in the ed section and search on ed posts as well there are so many threads on this already. Huge amount of info and sample questions between many threads. I have used these successfully to prepare for interviews.

Also no one gets prepared in college on how education interviews work. such is life

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

It might seem obvious but you need to know your subject inside out and be able to at least outline how you would (or plan to) teach it to every year and every level. This might well lead them to classroom management questions and that sort of thing but if they ask you about your subject and you seem unfamiliar with the course content or how to approach it, you're dead in the water.

That doesn't mean you need to come across as someone who's got 10 years of experience. Don't underestimate the value of being fresh and enthusiastic about your new career but you absolutely must know your subject (and by that, I mean you need to know what's to be taught, not what you learned in your degree).

Advertisement