Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Has to Stop!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭MsStroggatrix

9V batterym, Oscilator and MOSFET driving small transformer wired backwards into a diode ladder. Wrap conductive fabric on handlebars and steal able parts and connect to output. Rig up to some sort of trigger mechanism and zap.

Will give a nasty jolt at the very least.

Would have to have a warning on the bike. Also probably illegal, but so is stealing my bike.,

http://youtu.be/20RANvEOodY

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭MsStroggatrix

LED driver chip might be the ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Bob Annaliffia

Hi,

Just got my bike nicked from Castleknock Station Bike rack. Just a crappy mountain bike. My guess they are batching them and shipping them out of the country.

Now my choice is take an extra 10 mins twice a day to walk, or get a replacement bike. Which, even if it's a piece of sh#t, is at risk of being stolen again.

So after some research it seems the best thing to do is buy an expensive U-lock (€60) and a serious chain and pad locks (€40). And use them leaving as little slack or room as possible. Apparently that combo moves the thieves on, as they need extra tools to combat both. Tool of choice at the moment is a car jack for popping u-locks. Chain/lock takes a 3 foot bolt cutter.

Or I can pay €75 a year for a bike locker (www.bikelocker.ie), plus a €25 deposit for the one key they give you. In their terms and conditions it states that the locker IS the property of irish rail, and that no-one takes ANY responsibility for anything in the locker if it is broke in to.

Only advantage is that the bike lockers seem to have their own dedicated CCTV, whereas the bike rack is in a total blindspot. It looks deliberate to me.
    And the situation is the same up the line in Coolmine station.

Some choice, eh?
    I think I'll be walking. And growing more conservative with every step.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

So after some research it seems the best thing to do is buy an expensive U-lock (€60) and a serious chain and pad locks (€40). And use them leaving as little slack or room as possible. Apparently that combo moves the thieves on, as they need extra tools to combat both. Tool of choice at the moment is a car jack for popping u-locks. Chain/lock takes a 3 foot bolt cutter.

For a cheap bike, the Evo Mini and a cable for the front should do it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kryptonite-Evolution-Mini-Unisex-Bicycle/dp/B005YPK9VQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373634753&sr=8-1&keywords=kryptonite+mini

They can't use a car jack if you use the lock properly.

Angle grinder works but is very noisy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Lumen wrote: »
    For a cheap bike, the Evo Mini and a cable for the front should do it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kryptonite-Evolution-Mini-Unisex-Bicycle/dp/B005YPK9VQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373634753&sr=8-1&keywords=kryptonite+mini

They can't use a car jack if you use the lock properly.

That set-up is available in the LBS in Blanchardstown for €40.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Lumen wrote: »

Sure a hi-vis vest and a shovel and nobody will pay the slightest heed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

studiorat wrote: »

Slightly off topic, where is there an LBS in Blanch? I'm new to the area and only aware of Halfords in West End or City Cycles in Cabra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

I wonder if you aproached the station master or iarnrod eireann about maybe installing your own bike locker. I'd say you could build one similar but smaller (no doubt size would be an issue) for under €100.

http://www.bikedocksolutions.ie/product/37.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

hardCopy wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, where is there an LBS in Blanch? I'm new to the area and only aware of Halfords in West End or City Cycles in Cabra.
    There's a place beside SuperQuinn, in the cottages opposite the car dealership. It's called Cyclezone.

I think I'll be walking. And growing more conservative with every step.[/QUOTE]
    studiorat wrote: »

Thanks for that Lumen and Studiorat.

Just to update, I'm now walking daily to Castleknock station, and nearly every day, the bikes are interfered with, or stolen. Or stripped leaving just the frame, someone is systematically ripping people off here, my own bike was nicked in daylight. And there is still no camera pointing directly at it, though there are about three that could be redirected from other areas, already covered from multiple angles. The cameras are provided by group 4 security. The guards haven't got back to me yet. Sure it's good weather for a walk.

Advertisement