Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any way to get the 90 euro upc charge down

• 16-08-2012 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hey all,

my new apartment is fully wired for upc but they still want to charge 90 euro as a connection fee. Is there any way to get them to lower this cost?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I think a student gets free connection, have you a student handy ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

if u setup online dont you get it free?? Whats the charge for

• Registered Users Posts: 26 falinx

Nope, setup online it's still 90. I believe the 90 is for the admin fee ie, clicking the tickbox to enable services to the apartment again and the deliver of the modem. That's why I reckon it's just way too high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

What about signing up through boards.ie link - you can get a EUR50 voucher*

Or, through DID/PC World/Currys link - you can get a EUR 250 / EUR 150 voucher*

* Depends on the packages you order.

I know technically you'll still have to pay the EUR 90, but at least you could get it back in a voucher.

tnx might just do that..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Hi

If the apartment is already wired for UPC would you be able to do a self install? If you can then there should be no installation fee. All they do is connect you to the network from the outside. You do the rest after they send out the equipment to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Think UPC still charge the €90 for actually activating your service on their computer system,even if you go with the self install.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I don't get that, having ordered UPC broadband on behalf of someone this week, I was told the activation fee was €45? Or is this done per service, e.g. getting TV plus broadband adds up to €90 activation fee? I didn't see any option for self install when I ordered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

I got upc about a 3 months ago. There were charges but size i did it online via the chat thing with a upc agent the charges were removed i think its the same for everyone online. This wasnt a normal setup I had to get an engineer out to wire the house for the broadband and he set it up there and then. I paid nothing for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Mellio

Well I was on to the customer service chat people as I wanted two points put in and 2 boxes for multi room.

I was told there is no longer a self install option, why purely because they were losing far too much money from it(not there words).

I was qouted €60 for the point and €45 to set up the box, what they mean is plug it in and press ok a few times. So €105 per room, In total
    €210 for 2 rooms.

The €60 I can accept but the €45 to plug in a digital box is disgraceful.

Found a guy on adverts who does the first point for €50 and the second for €25 so a bit of saving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you're getting a point fitted by UPC how can you expect to do a self install?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Mellio

colm_mcm wrote: »
    If you're getting a point fitted by UPC how can you expect to do a self install?

Because the self install was just about receiving the box and plugging it in.

even if you got them to install a point in your bedroom why could you not order a self install online afterwards, they dont do self install now anyway.

But why would you do that unless it was free online? I reckon you took them up wrong and they told you they were losing money by giving stuff for free :D

Hey guys,

just to confirm here without a shadow of a doubt the following are applicable to new customers:

1. 90 Euro IS applicable to ANY person (excluding students) signing up for the first time no matter what (irrespective of whether you are already wired for upc or not.)
    2. The current special is 4 months half price but this only starts from the SECOND month, not the first (so in effect the bills are front loaded like a mortgage)
    3. You can sign up for the 4 months half price deal but if you then downgrade to a lower package then this will set you back 10.93
    4. If you get the tv/bb package you get to keep the modem for the bb but NOT the tv box.

If anyone can possibly prove any different I would love to hear it as I have just spoken to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Hi Falinx

Many thanks for the update. It is good to know that going forward. It now seems to be a trend for them. I had considered moving over to them for their 100MB broadband and phone but this has made me think twice.

falinx wrote: »
    1. 90 Euro IS applicable to ANY person (excluding students) signing up for the first time no matter what (irrespective of whether you are already wired for upc or not.)

Nah, a few of my friends got the student offer last September and paid for equipment. Given that it's now august and there's no student offer announced, I think you're wrong here.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

What's this about student's getting free connection? I can't see anything on there page about it.

That's cos it's not there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

I don't want to come across as a meaniepants here but I've lived in 4 separate houses /apartments over the past 5 and a bit years and have had absolutely free instalation by engineers and no connection fees every time. I wanted a free wi fi box about 3 months ago and they sent one out to me for self instalation.
    This thread doesn't match my experience with UPC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

I don't want to come across as a meaniepants here but I've lived in 4 separate houses /apartments over the past 5 and a bit years and have had absolutely free instalation by engineers and no connection fees every time. I wanted a free wi fi box about 3 months ago and they sent one out to me for self instalation.
    This thread doesn't match my experience with UPC.
    Nor mine but things have changed in the last few months. I got my equipment free-of-charge in January, when there was a free connection offer when ordering online. However, I rang them up a few weeks ago about getting my ma a new modem/router for her home connection but they wanted €45 to deactivate the old Scientific Atlanta DOCSIS 2.0 modem and to commission a new one for her, on top of making her upgrade to 50Mb (at the time 25Mb was the low-end package, which she is on). They said she could downgrade after one month, but it'd cost an extra €10 downgrade fee on top of charging the €45 for the new modem/router on top of paying €5 extra for the one month she'd have to be on the 50Mb package. My folks don't need 50Mb so there's no use in upgrading but to jump through UPC's hoops. They flat-out refused to send a new modem unless she upgraded, not even if she was willing to pay the €45, because to them, the DOCSIS 2.0 modem is enough to sustain the full 25Mb. It's a pity because that's not entirely true, plus, the speed tests I've done say different and as far as I can tell the signal coming into the house is just fine.

It looks like the UPC free lunch is over. Hopefully they'll see a drop in sales as a result, since at least with Sky you own all the equipment they install instead of renting it. If there's a noticeable drop in their sales figures, they might re-consider the self-install option. I wouldn't hold my breath, though. I reckon that if it's going to happen, it won't be very soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Nor mine but things have changed in the last few months. I got my equipment free-of-charge in January, when there was a free connection offer when ordering online. However, I rang them up a few weeks ago about getting my ma a new modem/router for her home connection but they wanted €45 to deactivate the old Scientific Atlanta DOCSIS 2.0 modem and to commission a new one for her, on top of making her upgrade to 50Mb (at the time 25Mb was the low-end package, which she is on). They said she could downgrade after one month, but it'd cost an extra €10 downgrade fee on top of charging the €45 for the new modem/router on top of paying €5 extra for the one month she'd have to be on the 50Mb package. My folks don't need 50Mb so there's no use in upgrading but to jump through UPC's hoops. They flat-out refused to send a new modem unless she upgraded, not even if she was willing to pay the €45, because to them, the DOCSIS 2.0 modem is enough to sustain the full 25Mb. It's a pity because that's not entirely true, plus, the speed tests I've done say different and as far as I can tell the signal coming into the house is just fine.

It looks like the UPC free lunch is over. Hopefully they'll see a drop in sales as a result, since at least with Sky you own all the equipment they install instead of renting it. If there's a noticeable drop in their sales figures, they might re-consider the self-install option. I wouldn't hold my breath, though. I reckon that if it's going to happen, it won't be very soon.
    I think they gave me the free wi fi box because of loyalty, 5 years is fairly loyal I guess. My dad moved to UPC a few months ago on my instructions and he did pay full whack for the instalation alright, I thought they just shafted him but maybe they've changed now alright, he's happy out though, he's saved hundreds per year with a better service, Eircom are cowboys.

Eircom are cowboys.
    Agreed. After using ADSL with various providers since 2004, all resellers of eircom (no LLU), I've never been happier with my connection than I am now with UPC since January this year. I could go on and on about it but I think this Broadband board is evidence enough with all the posts complaining about declining speeds at peak hours (even on their non-congested ADSL2+ "Next Gen" crap) and other problems affecting customers in huge numbers. Eircom are cowboys but they're not even the cheap kind! The only thing people should be enticed by is if UPC is not available their area, though it remains to be seen how the upcoming FTTC and FTTH services works out (I know BT Infinity customers in the UK who are for the most part happy, but even they have their troubles from time to time with speeds degrading from time to time).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Just rang them up there, want to go from the 30meg im on to the 100meg which will cost me an extra 12quid a month so a bit of a no brainer there.

So I asked to upgrade my router, lady on the phone says there will be a 45 Euro activation charge.

Me "WHAT"
    Her " I know sir, no point in arguing but its standard now"
    Me "You want to charge me €45 euro for something that AN POST do for €5, I don't want anyone to install the kit, just send me out the modem and upgrade me to 100meg"
    Her "No point in arguing it's standard"
    Me "When is my contract up"
    Her "It's up now sir"
    Me "Fine, cancel my contract not a hope in bloody hell im paying 45 quid for delivery when you get the modem back at the end of my contract and im going to do the self install.
    Her "Well we have a customer loyalty team who may be able to help"
    Me "Well connect me to them please"
    Her " OkAY, I'll arrange a call back later on"

I mean this with the utmost sincerity, not a chance in hell i'm paying 45 quid delivery for a modem that they get back, it would be different if i ended up owning the kit, I'll happily cancel downgrade my connection as it's not overly important but not a chance I'm paying this charge.

Charging someone 45 quid who's been a customer for 5 + years to change from 30-100 which is probably a flick of a switch, just rofl.
    Cowboys.com

Just rang them up there, want to go from the 30meg im on to the 100meg which will cost me an extra 12quid a month so a bit of a no brainer there.

So I asked to upgrade my router, lady on the phone says there will be a 45 Euro activation charge.

Me "WHAT"
    Her " I know sir, no point in arguing but its standard now"
    Me "You want to charge me €45 euro for something that AN POST do for €5, I don't want anyone to install the kit, just send me out the modem and upgrade me to 100meg"
    Her "No point in arguing it's standard"
    Me "When is my contract up"
    Her "It's up now sir"
    Me "Fine, cancel my contract not a hope in bloody hell im paying 45 quid for delivery when you get the modem back at the end of my contract and im going to do the self install.
    Her "Well we have a customer loyalty team who may be able to help"
    Me "Well connect me to them please"
    Her " OkAY, I'll arrange a call back later on"

I mean this with the utmost sincerity, not a chance in hell i'm paying 45 quid delivery for a modem that they get back, it would be different if i ended up owning the kit, I'll happily cancel downgrade my connection as it's not overly important but not a chance I'm paying this charge.
    Coincidentally I had the same conversation with them today regarding my mother's account since she has an old Scientific Atlanta DOCSIS 2.0 modem. Unfortunately it is standard and even new customers don't get the opportunity for a free connection if ordered on the web like before. She's right, there is no easy way around it. The best advice is to keep on at them, speak to team leaders/seniors, and maybe someone with the right authority might grant your wish. Otherwise you're in the same boat as everyone else and if you feel strongly enough to cancel your account, just think about what you'd be paying if you took your business elsewhere and for what you'd be paying for. You wouldn't even be getting your former 30Mb/s speeds.

Coincidentally I had the same conversation with them today regarding my mother's account since she has an old Scientific Atlanta DOCSIS 2.0 modem. Unfortunately it is standard and even new customers don't get the opportunity for a free connection if ordered on the web like before. She's right, there is no easy way around it. The best advice is to keep on at them, speak to team leaders/seniors, and maybe someone with the right authority might grant your wish. Otherwise you're in the same boat as everyone else and if you feel strongly enough to cancel your account, just think about what you'd be paying if you took your business elsewhere and for what you'd be paying for. You wouldn't even be getting your former 30Mb/s speeds.

Of course but they must also think about losing me, 80 quid a month by 12 €960 a year because they wouldn't subside on their scandalous €45 charge, I tell you what if more people threatened to leave as a result of this I can guarantee you this fee wouldn't be in place.

I have NO problem paying an engineer but when I'm installing it, GTFO :)

Of course but they must also think about losing me, 80 quid a month by 12 €960 a year because they wouldn't subside on their scandalous €45 charge, I tell you what if more people threatened to leave as a result of this I can guarantee you this fee wouldn't be in place.

I have NO problem paying an engineer but when I'm installing it, GTFO :)
    I agree with you, 100%. I don't think my mother's going to fork it out either. They want €60 for a HD box and €45 for a new modem so she can get the HD pack and 50Mb. If I didn't get a free connection back in January when I signed up, I don't know if I would have succumbed.

I agree with you, 100%. I don't think my mother's going to fork it out either. They want €60 for a HD box and €45 for a new modem so she can get the HD pack and 50Mb. If I didn't get a free connection back in January when I signed up, I don't know if I would have succumbed.

It's a joke especially as they're taking it back, I'd be happy if within the confines of the contract I would get my 45 quid back minus a delivery charge when I terminate my contract, alas that's not the case and they want me to pay 400 + % uptake on delivery, haha.

It's not like this money covers them for anything other than delivery because if you Break/Lose/Damage the box you have to pay for another one so they're covered in all aspects.

45 quid delivery, just absolute extortion.

Just thought I'd give everyone an update.

Not only did I get the 45 euro fee waved after being put through to customer loyalty and explaining the situation I also got my multiroom fee waved.

Seems complaining is the only way forward.

Just thought I'd give everyone an update.

Not only did I get the 45 euro fee waved after being put through to customer loyalty and explaining the situation I also got my multiroom fee waved.

Seems complaining is the only way forward.
    You've inspired me, man!

• Advertisement

You've inspired me, man!

Just so you know what I've said, I used a very direct tone, I didn't get aggressive I was just assertive.

I spoke to a sales agent who gave me the usual reel of chat saying nothing could be done etc etc, I then said well I'd rather cancel if thats the case can you put me through to customer loyalty and this is what I said.

I'm a customer of UPC's for 2 years, i've been paying 75 euro a month for 30 meg and tv and not one person from UPC had the decency to ring me and tell me for the same price or less I could get 50 meg and 110 TV stations + a phone, you've had me paying for a subscription that's obsolete, now on top of this you want to charge me 45 euro for delivery, there is no installation im self installing, im not the owner of this kit, it's returned on contract termination.

Now I'll gladly stay with UPC move to the 100meg for 4quid a month extra and you can continue to claim 960quid a year off me or you can cancel my contract keep the 45 quid and con someone else into paying delivery either way I'm happy

She instantly said no problem, router free of charge and we will cut the multi room.

As Borat would say, GREAT SUCCESS!

Advertisement