Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need a new monitor for my new rig?

Options
  • 16-08-2012 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

I've a 32" FULL HD LED LG tv that I'm using as a monitor for my pc. I do not play games with it at the moment but I'm putting together a decent gaming pc with the intention of using this tv as a monitor. So currently its running at 1920 x 1080 @60Hz.

My question is: If my pc can churn out 80-90 fps, do I need a monitor that betters 60Hz to reflect the fps??

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

nope your tv will be just fine, it will put out more frames then the human eye can capture so that tv is already fairly beast for gaming unless you want to upgrade to a 2560x1440 ultra beast =P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

the human eye can see a lot more than 60fps.

imo a TV is rubbish for using as a gaming monitor.

its designed to be viewed from a distance, the pixels are enormous, the contrast and colours are all wrong etc etc.

I use a Samsung 32" TV with my HTPC and I occasionally use it for web browsing etc, and its terrible compared to my catleap, but pretty bad compared to proper monitor.

what's your budget?

less than €150 id be looking at a iiyama or BenQ, €185 will buy you a 23" Dell u2312hm, or something 120hz, €300+ for a catleap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Gaming is okay on a TV - FPS is very dependent on the person. I wouldnt sacrifice anything in your rig - unless you're doing something silly like buying an i7 - for a monitor just yet.

What you will notice if you get frame rates over 60 is tearing. This can be sorted with v-sync, Virtu MVP or setting the detail so high you drop down below 60FPS.

Outside of games TVs are terrible. Even browsing the web is painful imo. If the machine is never going to be used for that I'd say stick with the TV unless you're sensitive to frame rates. If you're going to use it for anything else - monitor all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭TheTacticsGuy

I'm already over my budget by €80 (i.e. €1080). I will have the problem of being too close to the tv when I start PC gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Get a wireless KB & Mouse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭TheTacticsGuy

Get a wireless KB & Mouse.

Dude I'd never use wireless Keyboard/Mouse for gaming.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    the human eye can see a lot more than 60fps.

imo a TV is rubbish for using as a gaming monitor.

its designed to be viewed from a distance, the pixels are enormous, the contrast and colours are all wrong etc etc.

I use a Samsung 32" TV with my HTPC and I occasionally use it for web browsing etc, and its terrible compared to my catleap, but pretty bad compared to proper monitor.

what's your budget?

less than €150 id be looking at a iiyama or BenQ, €185 will buy you a 23" Dell u2312hm, or something 120hz, €300+ for a catleap.

I have to disagree here, im using a 32" screen, pretty high spec.
    Ive had two samsung syncmaster lcd screens 22" and 24",a dell ultra sharp 22",I currently have a 22" benq lcd on my sons rig [all "proper monitors"]and this particular tv is a lot better for pretty much every task.
    Granted ive not had a catleap or similar but for 1080p its the best ive used.
    Put it this way 2RL friends and my brother have all gone from decent 24" lcd monitors to similar screens to me after seeing it in person.
    I have tried other similar size TVs and yes they were poor at best but stick to a high spec one and your fine.
    Having said that Im very close to considering a catleap btw :)

Advertisement