Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Please: Phantom Bidder?

Options
  • 16-08-2012 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

OH & I viewed a house last week & 2nd viewing, after 2 bids vendors agreed with our 3rd bid, I get a phone call from EA last night saying the vendors have a private bid in against us €10k more than us that didn't go through EA, EA seemed a little annoyed at this too and told them we we're genuine ready to settle.

Without giving too much info away, is this a phantom bidder or EA & Vendors playing games? Who knocks on someone's door and bids 10K over last bid? I'm annoyed, like the house but I'm not bidding against myself, should I phone them back later in week to see if they've accepted or let them come chasing me if it was phantom?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Sounds susupect to me. I'm not sure what I'd do in a situtation like this tbh. All you can do is make an educated guess. How long is the house on the market, is it in a sought after location ect because like you said, who knocks up to somebody (despite a recession and a property bust) and makes a bid of 10k more. I'd sit back and wait but its hard if you love the house, they know this only too well though.

Good luck, hope you get the house at the price you agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Tell them your bid stands for a week then you're looking elsewhere, sounds like game-playing to me, unless you really think the house is that desirable, which the vast majority aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Pay what you feel the house is worth to you - no more.

If you want the house that bad, then pay the extra, if not don't put any more bids in.

Really, really simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ring the EA back, offer €10k less than your most recent bid, and tell them that the offer expires Wednesday. It's sounds like the EA is trying to make you make a "4th bid".

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Independance

OH & I viewed a house last week & 2nd viewing, after 2 bids vendors agreed with our 3rd bid, I get a phone call from EA last night saying the vendors have a private bid in against us €10k more than us that didn't go through EA, EA seemed a little annoyed at this too and told them we we're genuine ready to settle.

Without giving too much info away, is this a phantom bidder or EA & Vendors playing games? Who knocks on someone's door and bids 10K over last bid? I'm annoyed, like the house but I'm not bidding against myself, should I phone them back later in week to see if they've accepted or let them come chasing me if it was phantom?

Thanks in advance

Just a follow up,

now 4.5mths since I was outbid on this house. The "for sale" sign was outside house up till mid December and a sold sticker was put in window mid December, but still hasn't appeared on sold database, this seems to be a long time in processing & may have missed mir deadline. Also 50+ less houses for sale in my area now than Jan 2012. Are people holding back now on putting houses up for sale?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

Just a follow up,

now 4.5mths since I was outbid on this house. The "for sale" sign was outside house up till mid December and a sold sticker was put in window mid December, but still hasn't appeared on sold database, this seems to be a long time in processing & may have missed mir deadline. Also 50+ less houses for sale in my area now than Jan 2012. Are people holding back now on putting houses up for sale?

Yes I would say so, especially since the Irish Independent are trying to spread rumours that prices are increasing. I expect people to hold out.

Also people are holding out who are not paying their mortgages as they know they will not be kicked out, putting a strain on stock.

I got mortgage approval months ago but I am on the fence now as the stock is being artificially kept high. People seem to be as greedy now as they were during the boom, so when they see demand up and stock down they are going to chance their arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Blame for these artificially higher prices can also be laid squarely at NAMA's door. They have a stock of thousands of houses that they are not releasing into the market:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

lima wrote: »
    Yes I would say so, especially since the Irish Independent are trying to spread rumours that prices are increasing. I expect people to hold out.

Also people are holding out who are not paying their mortgages as they know they will not be kicked out, putting a strain on stock.

I got mortgage approval months ago but I am on the fence now as the stock is being artificially kept high. People seem to be as greedy now as they were during the boom, so when they see demand up and stock down they are going to chance their arm.

For most I wouldn't say it is greed since they are trying to recoup as much of their losses as they can.
    Likewise with the bank.

The intersting one I find is property which has been up for sale, for years even, still with the original asking price and no decreases.
    The only logical explanation is that the asking price is the amount outstanding to the bank and there is a standoff of sorts between the mortgage holder and the bank.

If the banks, and the government, finally started moving on insolvent mortgage holders, be they home owners or buy to letters, then there would be more property on the market, prices would drop and people would start buying.

As it is we are in a phoney market.
    It akin to Western Europe in 1940 where everyone can guess eventually things will kick off, and all that is happening is a precursor with the odd little skirmish.
    Blame for these artificially higher prices can also be laid squarely at NAMA's door. They have a stock of thousands of houses that they are not releasing into the market:mad:

It is also the banks which seems to be at the behest of government.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

lima wrote: »

no such thing as a rumour about house prices now with the property price register. cant speak for everything but the 6 diff areas ive checked have shown sale price increases through Q3 & Q4

could very well be MIR related could be a dead cat bounce but the facts are the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Just a follow up,

we went sale agreed on our house at the beginning of july. didnt get keys until last week in nov. the for sale sign remained up all that time. even no there are still two signs at the top of our road. our agent has put a sold sticker on his sign but the other agent's sign is still up with for sale still on it. our house sale only appeared online mid dec. so it can take time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Luca Brasi

Get a friend to do a viewing and then let him put in a bid 3000 above yours just to see the response. If they say they want higher let the friend withdraw his "offer" and walk away

Just a follow up,

Just a follow up on above house:

I went to view a house (€230k) in Aug 2012 and put in an offer of €200, family wanted at least €210 so I went to €207,500 and they clear out house, they didn't want to clear house and said the lowest they would go is €205K and we clear it, so I was happy with that and got ea to phone them to say ok. 9-10hrs later I get a phone call from EA at 9:45pm the EA phones to say a private bidder offered them €215k, I didn't raise it as I was soo mad, I phoned EA a few days later and was told that bidder paid deposit the next morning after the bid and I was locked out.

5mths later I looked at the PPR website this morning and the house sold for €205, I'm so mad at the moment as I was willing to take the house for that price and along comes a private bidder at same, I think it was a neighbour or family member in the end. We are so annoyed as I have a 2yr old and my wife is now 6mths pregnant. I hate the way some people play around the property market and mess with other peoples lives!!

Any comments welcome :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

One of the many reasons I'm selling my house privately and not involving an estate agent, I just couldn't be doing with all that stress and you have to pay them commisson at the end of it!!

OP, if you're in Galway I've a nice house for a great price!!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭seamusmacc

I went to view a house (€230k) in Aug 2012 and put in an offer of €200, family wanted at least €210 so I went to €207,500 and they clear out house, they didn't want to clear house and said the lowest they would go is €205K and we clear it, so I was happy with that and got ea to phone them to say ok. 9-10hrs later I get a phone call from EA at 9:45pm the EA phones to say a private bidder offered them €215k, I didn't raise it as I was soo mad, I phoned EA a few days later and was told that bidder paid deposit the next morning after the bid and I was locked out.

5mths later I looked at the PPR website this morning and the house sold for €205, I'm so mad at the moment as I was willing to take the house for that price and along comes a private bidder at same, I think it was a neighbour or family member in the end. We are so annoyed as I have a 2yr old and my wife is now 6mths pregnant. I hate the way some people play around the property market and mess with other peoples lives!!

not sure how accurate for the price registered in PPR, my mate's house was registered 8K less than what he paid for. anyway, let bygones be bygones, hopefully you will find some where soon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 lightoffshore

I'm awaiting a yes/no from a vendor via the estate agent at the moment. At the last second before the ES was going back to the vendor, they told me quite a few bids had come in over the last few days which had pushed the price up by 30k. I'm a cash bidder. I think they're lying to me and only trying to draw more cash out of me by putting me on the spot. Said they were going back to the vendor in the next hour and they needed to know now. I told them I was leaving the bid as it was. Funny thing is that over the previous weeks, while the bidding was going on they were coming back to me every day. All of a sudden I hear nothing for three days and it has gone up by 30 k. Sound suspect?

Also, bids had been going in in increments of 2-5k so to go up by 30k was a massive jump for them not to let me know about. Also, per chance there were to bidders at that level within 2k of each other. How is it that it was okay for them to be informed of each others position and for me not to be in the loop. Suspect?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I tried to buy a house for cash last summer.EA agreed the price was very fair and advised the couple to take the offer.
    Suddenly the vendor changed EA and the house sold the next day.
    On PPR website sold at 2k less than my offer.
    I would say that there was some cash handed over on the side as well as the original EA said they weren't budging on their sale price.(I wanted the house and offered 92% of asking price).

Also, bids had been going in in increments of 2-5k so to go up by 30k was a massive jump for them not to let me know about. Also, per chance there were to bidders at that level within 2k of each other. How is it that it was okay for them to be informed of each others position and for me not to be in the loop. Suspect?
    I think I see what happened. EA got one other bidder, and played them off a phantom bidder to a point where the other bidder wouldn't go above the phantom bidders highest bid, so now they bring you in to try to get a "real" bidder in before they goto the seller. Very suspect indeed!

I'm awaiting a yes/no from a vendor via the estate agent at the moment. At the last second before the ES was going back to the vendor, they told me quite a few bids had come in over the last few days which had pushed the price up by 30k. I'm a cash bidder. I think they're lying to me and only trying to draw more cash out of me by putting me on the spot. Said they were going back to the vendor in the next hour and they needed to know now. I told them I was leaving the bid as it was. Funny thing is that over the previous weeks, while the bidding was going on they were coming back to me every day. All of a sudden I hear nothing for three days and it has gone up by 30 k. Sound suspect?

Yes, this is what happend to us, we were only bidders for a week/10days and at final bid & awaiting go ahead by vendors from EA, the EA phones at 9:45pm to say a bid came in 10k more and wanted us to add 5k!!

Did ye get the house Indepdance?

• Advertisement

Did ye get the house Indepdance?

No as I said before this is what happened:

Originally Posted by Independance viewpost.gif

Any comments welcome confused.png

I was taken by surprise at 9:45pm and apparently the new bidder had paid his deposit the next morning, when clearly I was chucked around all week, this leads me to beleive it was a neighbour or family member who bought it, who jumps in at 10k over my offer at and when I looked at PPR site this week it sold for €205, which was my last offer not the 215k I was let to beleive was in and not the 220k they wanted me to bid next!! Really pissed off! lol :(

Cowboys those estate agents.

No news back on my bid yet. Have spoken to the ES and believe its all real bids now, and not a phatom bidder. I'm cash at 290, but there are two bidders at 322 and 321 respectively. One has "shown proof of finance". Its a receivership sale on behalf of a bank. Reckon I'm out of the game or have a chance? Was kinda hoping my cash bid might still be attractive.

Have spoken to the ES and believe its all real bids now, and not a phatom bidder. I'm cash at 290, but there are two bidders at 322 and 321 respectively.
    A week and a half later, who contacted who?

I contacted the ES to see if there was any update. Also had an friend call up wondering about the house, and it all checks out, with the info the ES was giving me (re bids etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

There's no transparency with EA's, plenty whispering in the ear of the seller and plenty phantom bidders in the ear of the buyer.

Its a pity there isn't an ebay type bidding system in place for house sale...well I suppose there is but not many paddies buy houses on ebay...but maybe we should. Proof of finance would be required for it to work correctly on large amounts, and no EA's!

I know of an EA who told a friend of mine who was trying to sell a house back in 2009 that he could "try and push up the price"....it's in their blood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jvlme

D3PO wrote: »
    no such thing as a rumour about house prices now with the property price register. cant speak for everything but the 6 diff areas ive checked have shown sale price increases through Q3 & Q4

could very well be MIR related could be a dead cat bounce but the facts are the facts.

Are you an Estate Agent by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jvlme

ArraMusha wrote: »
    There's no transparency with EA's, plenty whispering in the ear of the seller and plenty phantom bidders in the ear of the buyer.

Its a pity there isn't an ebay type bidding system in place for house sale...well I suppose there is but not many paddies buy houses on ebay...but maybe we should. Proof of finance would be required for it to work correctly on large amounts, and no EA's!

I know of an EA who told a friend of mine who was trying to sell a house back in 2009 that he could "try and push up the price"....it's in their blood.

A lack of transparency pervades many sectors, including estate agents. Vested interests are still calling the shots and the media are only too willing to court the opinion of these people and present it as impartial, factual analysis

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

jvlme wrote: »
    Are you an Estate Agent by any chance?

No Im not. I destest EAs infact. My post refered to FACTUAL information available in the PPR to everybody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

jvlme wrote: »
    A lack of transparency pervades many sectors, including estate agents. Vested interests are still calling the shots and the media are only too willing to court the opinion of these people and present it as impartial, factual analysis
    Is anybody willing to show all of his or her cards? Will a potential purchaser disclose that he or she is prepared to go as high as €350k when putting in a hopeful bid of €300k?

I sold two properties last year, using two different EAs. I would have been very upset if either had been totally transparent with prospective purchasers, and weakened my bargaining position. I was paying them to act in my interest. And my interest was, quite literally, a vested interest.

If and when purchasers pay EAs to find properties and negotiate their purchase, they can seek transparency at their end of the transaction. Until then, purchasers should simply accept that the EA works for the vendor, and will try to maximise the selling price: that's what the job is about.

Advertisement