Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local TD,s attendance record of Dail Attendance

Options
  • 16-08-2012 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭

Just reading the indo we have Two TD,s in Top Ten with the worst Dail Attendance .
    Ciara Conway attendance 78% : explanation given 3 family bereavements, John Halligan attendance 78% Explanation given 3 family bereavements and spending time on 5 constituency clinics.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭deisemum

What about her non attendance due to her appearances on Midday? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

deisemum wrote: »

Come now, get the priorities right: what about her non attendance on TV3 due to her appearances in the Dail?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭hardybuck

decies wrote: »
    Just reading the indo we have Two TD,s in Top Ten with the worst Dail Attendance .
    Ciara Conway attendance 78% : explanation given 3 family bereavements, John Halligan attendance 78% Explanation given 3 family bereavements and spending time on 5 constituency clinics.

Any link for that? Not only did she miss the two sitting days of the Dail to appear on TV3, but I believe she missed an important vote on one of the days also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

Heres the problem lads, we, the public vote for these muppets and this is what we get. Same with Fianna Fail and all the other muppets who put themselves forward for their own gain.

I know some will respond to say that they did not vote for either of the above mentioned, neither did I. But somebody did or should I say a lot of somebodies did and this is the result. I don't think it is any different no matter who gets voted in. Can someone please show me any politician local of national who is worth a vote at this stage?

Heres the problem lads, we, the public vote for these muppets and this is what we get. Same with Fianna Fail and all the other muppets who put themselves forward for their own gain.

I know some will respond to say that they did not vote for either of the above mentioned, neither did I. But somebody did or should I say a lot of somebodies did and this is the result. I don't think it is any different no matter who gets voted in. Can someone please show me any politician local of national who is worth a vote at this stage?

I have to say the only two times I've gone to a politician about something, they got the job done. One was Davy Daniels - a local issue which he got action on almost immediately.

The other was Paudie Coffey who I directed a question to. He forwarded my query to a cabinet minister who had a written response to me within a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

deisemum wrote: »
    I'd imagine she was fobbed in that day. A TD needs only fob in and that's them registered as attended for that day, whether they spend a minute there, or 13 hours.

A more realistic figure for gauging actual attendance would be to look at their voting records which would give a fair indication of whether or not they were in the building at that time. Of course sometimes a situation may arise where a TD is in a meeting but most are instructed to drop everything and run into the chamber to vote.

As for the excuses, assuming they're genuine (and I can vouch for the excuse of one) then I don't think it's all that bad. If the electorate expect their TD's to go up to Dublin to fob in on the day of the funeral of somebody close to them then I really do despair...

AdMMM wrote: »
    I'd imagine she was fobbed in that day. A TD needs only fob in and that's them registered as attended for that day, whether they spend a minute there, or 13 hours.

A more realistic figure for gauging actual attendance would be to look at their voting records which would give a fair indication of whether or not they were in the building at that time. Of course sometimes a situation may arise where a TD is in a meeting but most are instructed to drop everything and run into the chamber to vote.

As for the excuses, assuming they're genuine (and I can vouch for the excuse of one) then I don't think it's all that bad. If the electorate expect their TD's to go up to Dublin to fob in on the day of the funeral of somebody close to them then I really do despair...

Well for the days she was on TV3 she is counted as in, so she must have clocked in for an hour or two first.

However, she only attended the Dail for 53 of the 68 days the Dail was sitting. She was there another 6 that the Dail was not in session, and even if you count those days, you're looking at an absenteeism rate of 13.25%. The industry average rate of absenteeism is about 4.5%.

I appreciate that TD's will do extra work on evenings and weekends, but given the short amount of days that the Dail actually sits, they should be aiming for full participation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

How many days does a funeral last Ciara. Another lame excuse from a failed elected rep. Most people take the day off the day some is buried, unless it is a very close family member when they might take three days.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭MoodRacer

Yes it makes disappointing reading. I suppose the bottom line is that it looks like we have voted forTurkeys. Their attendance is one thing and their remuneration another, but when you look at their participation in debates and submission of written questionsyou would wonder what they are actually doing up there for us.

Debates

Written Questions

Salary

Expenses 02/11-12/11

Expenses 01/12—6/12

Paudie Coffey

Ciara Conway

John Deasy

John Halligan

Source: kildarestreet.com /oireachras.ie

Points to note:

Debates:

ü Coffey averageamongst TD`s

ü Conway belowaverage amongst TD`s

ü Deasy wellbelow average amongst TD`s

ü Halligan aboveaverage amongst TD`s

Written Questions:

ü Coffey averageamongst TD`s

ü Conway averageamongst TD`s

ü Deasy aboveaverage amongst TD`s

ü Halligan wellbelow average amongst TD`s

Our reps seem to be average or below average when looking at the above figures which is all we really have to guage their performance.

Admittedly Halligan is aboveaverage in debates but this is to be expected as he is an independent andmember of the technical group which gives him speaking time. He has had, andwill have zero impact except an occasional few sound bites, i.e. recently onDeise Am in relation to an apology to the Ceann Comhairle but was unavailable(as was Conway) to comment to the same radio programme in relation to hisattendance figures.

Black Suir wrote: »
    How many days does a funeral last Ciara. Another lame excuse from a failed elected rep. Most people take the day off the day some is buried, unless it is a very close family member when they might take three days.

Agree. Conway - Disaster 2/10
    Coffee - Full of hot air, will support the party before the constituents who elected him. No backbone. 3/10
    Halligan - Enough said, worse than useless. 1/10
    Deasy - the sly fox, not afraid to speak his mind even if stupidly so at times. 5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

MoodRacer wrote: »
    You left out the very important three word alliterative phrase metric!

No mention of your man David in the Senate in your review of our representatives though, so I'll help you out.

He looks like Bradley Joseph Cournoyer, who incidentally is a child sex offender. 0/10 (how's that for baseless evaluations?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭MoodRacer

AdMMM wrote: »
    You left out the very important three word alliterative phrase metric!

No mention of your man David in the Senate in your review of our representatives though, so I'll help you out.

He looks like Bradley Joseph Cournoyer, who incidentally is a child sex offender. 0/10 (how's that for baseless evaluations?)

Ohh touchy touchy....did i hit a nerve??

So you have based your kind review on looks....... thats worrying pal, I think you you need some help - thats not the way it works in the real world:o

Didn`t mention the Seanad as this thread is in relation to Dáil Attendance or did you miss that?

But since you brought it up, `my man David` as you say, has spoke in 210 debates in the last year, well above average among Senators (or didn`t you check?)

Interesting though your apparent knowledge on sex offenders.....anything you want to share with us??:D

Hate to break it to you but you`re beloved Coffey is just another ordinary back bencher, nothing special - FACT

I won`t go down the road of what he looks or sounds like:rolleyes:

BTW, would you care to give your review on our current Deputies - based on performance to date, not looks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭JenniFurr

Ok there was some Halligan bashing there. Not that I'm trying to convince anyone that he's great but from my own experiences and from those I've sent his way he does a lot to help individuals. I had been unfairly denied disability allowance twice and had difficulty with getting a medical card and he did a lot to help, and when I say a lot, I mean it. I know that this doesn't mean anything to the statistics or someone will say "well that's what he's there for, duh" but if it weren't for his help I don't think I would actually be here today.

There's my biased two cents on that.

The figures aren't good enough though. I will definitely agree on that. But this is the nature of Irish politics. We just don't seem to be able to elect people that actually work for their money.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

The problem with Irish politics is that we elect people who do us personal favours the whole time instead of dealing with real problems. Fixing potholes/ getting passports & crap like that gets them in and keeps them in. The Healy-Rays Kerry have built a full dynasty off it. They shouldnt have any say in those things. Theyre there for a bigger job and should be doing that but small issues are constantly wasting time.
    Why work on regional/national issues when just as many points are gotten because marys son was able to go on holidays after not looking after his passport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭JenniFurr

The problem with Irish politics is that we elect people who do us personal favours the whole time instead of dealing with real problems. Fixing potholes/ getting passports & crap like that gets them in and keeps them in. The Healy-Rays Kerry have built a full dynasty off it. They shouldnt have any say in those things. Theyre there for a bigger job and should be doing that but small issues are constantly wasting time.
    Why work on regional/national issues when just as many points are gotten because marys son was able to go on holidays after not looking after his passport.

Sorry if I seemed like I was saying because a TD did something nice for me that therefore he's good at his job and I was going to vote for him every single time he's up for election. I just felt the 1/10 score was a bit harsh and wanted to say say he's not all that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

JenniFurr wrote: »
    Sorry if I seemed like I was saying because a TD did something nice for me that therefore he's good at his job and I was going to vote for him every single time he's up for election. I just felt the 1/10 score was a bit harsh and wanted to say say he's not all that bad.

Wasnt a target at you. More at the entire structure of politics here. There are genuine cases when you have to go up high to get things sorted but theres just as many people who go looking for trivial things with the promise" ill vote for you and so will my family"

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Facts and Figures mean nothing in the current way the Dail work. Government TDs are not given much speaking time. The opposition, similar but more leeway now because its smaller groups/parties.

It seems that some have this view that elected TDs should be doing trojan work like Ministers. Its not their job. They listen to your views through constituency meetings and bring them to the attention of the various ministers, attending various boards, there to vote on legislation and so on. They have no real power.

Whats evident here is that some people are using these meaningless figures to poke TDs with (government or otherwise) and complain. Either because they have a hidden agenda or because they don't understand the way the Dail works

During the last election, the topic of political reform was a point of discussion, and this was one of the areas of concern. Even if you are the Minister for Finance or Minister for Health, you will still be elected by your local people, who expect favours done for them.

We should, for certain important positions like the two mentioned above, have candidates who are not elected in the traditional format. Not only may it free up much needed time for these people, it might also encourage experts in their field to apply for the roles, and not need to get involved in politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Noctor Till 6@Noctortill6
    #Waterford TD John Halligan has been marked absent every Friday in the Dáil. Why? He joins us next to give his side of the story.
    Expand Reply Retweet Favorite

Advertisement