Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moths

• 16-08-2012 11:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭

Unfortunately I noticed moths in my bed room. How can I get rid of them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

mood wrote: »
    Unfortunately I noticed moths in my bed room. How can I get rid of them?

eat them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

Moth balls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

convert wrote: »
    Moth balls

As the above said. Try and get them with lavander or cedar as they are not the nicest of smelling things. Try amazon for a good selection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

I hate the smell of moth balls. I was hoping for other options. Amazon do have moth products but postage is way too expensive. What shops sell that type of thing?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

eat them?

Stay on topic with helpful suggestions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I have lavender bags on some of my clothes hangers, I bought them on eBay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

If you have a few minutes to spare, you can make some lavendar bags to hang with your clothes or put in your drawers. They're really easy to make and keep things smelling nice. I've never found them to help with moths, though :( or maybe my moths are just super resiliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Where do you buy mothballs?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

I find them in old fashioned hardware shops.

A quick way of making lavender sachets is to get some of the favour bags people use for the candy covered almonds at weddings and fill with dried lavender. You'll make 10 bags for less than €10.

SBWife wrote: »
    I find them in old fashioned hardware shops.

Hard to come by them these days in Dublin. :cool:

Would somewhere like Woodies sell them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

I got cedar ones in the hardware shop in Ranelagh a while back. I think they had 'proper' mothballs as well but the reek is too much. The local hardware shops should all have them, there's usually one about (in D6ish there's the Ranelagh one, Leneghans in da Mines, one in Harolds Cross, if any of those suit). Not sure if Woodies do.

Got some in McCabes Pharmacy. Jeez, they're stinky. Might have a look for the cedar ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 danceash

Ya Woodies have them.I got ceder ones there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

Ceded ones prevent if you don't already have moths but if the moths are already present IMO they don't do Jack!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

You need to find out where they're nesting - eg pull out the bed and clean the room from top to bottom. Their cocoon things are like furry grey grains of rice. I had them bad in my room - they were in some old clothes that had found their way under the bed. I get the odd few in the evenings - I zap them with a fly swatter I got in the €1.49 shop lol! ;)

tk123 wrote: »
    You need to find out where they're nesting - eg pull out the bed and clean the room from top to bottom. Their cocoon things are like furry grey grains of rice. I had them bad in my room - they were in some old clothes that had found their way under the bed. I get the odd few in the evenings - I zap them with a fly swatter I got in the €1.49 shop lol! ;)

Not really possible as it's an old house and there are gaps in the floor boards and round pipes so they could be coming from anywhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

There are dozens of moths in my house every evening. I've never noticed any damage to clothes though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

I just noticed this thread and I was horrified when putting my children to bed last night that the ceilings and light shades were covered with these little moth creatures, they were all over the hall and my bedroom too. I leave the front door open (live in a bungalow) because the kids are out playing and obviously they were attracted to the lights in the bedrooms and hall. I'm hoping that this means they came from outside and not inside so I don't have to empty out all the wardrobes etc.:eek::eek::eek: (Hoarders United is my home)

Now I panicked last night and hadn't a clue how to get rid of them so I just hoovered all of the little b*****ds up. It took ages. Now I see some of you mentioning Lavender here and on another site I seen Citrus Oil as a remedy. I cleaned out the hoover tray and left it and the hose out over night to "air".

Did I do enough? Should I do a lot more? Any suggestions :confused:

I just noticed this thread and I was horrified when putting my children to bed last night that the ceilings and light shades were covered with these little moth creatures, they were all over the hall and my bedroom too. I leave the front door open (live in a bungalow) because the kids are out playing and obviously they were attracted to the lights in the bedrooms and hall. I'm hoping that this means they came from outside and not inside so I don't have to empty out all the wardrobes etc.:eek::eek::eek: (Hoarders United is my home)

Now I panicked last night and hadn't a clue how to get rid of them so I just hoovered all of the little b*****ds up. It took ages. Now I see some of you mentioning Lavender here and on another site I seen Citrus Oil as a remedy. I cleaned out the hoover tray and left it and the hose out over night to "air".

Did I do enough? Should I do a lot more? Any suggestions :confused:

I think the moths that come in form outside (attracted by light) are different than house moths. They are larger and don't eat holes in clothes. You firstly need to identify which moths are in your house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Do not under any circumstances get mothballs! The stink of them remain on your clothes and in any room you put them in for months on end. I remember always noticing that smell on some people's clothes when I was young and not understanding what it was until I came home one weekend and noticed the smell acutely. My dad had placed mothballs in every wardrobe in the house. We all gave out to him for the stink!

I'm sure if you google, you will find clever odourless ways to get rid of moths.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

mood wrote: »
    I think the moths that come in form outside (attracted by light) are different than house moths. They are larger and don't eat holes in clothes. You firstly need to identify which moths are in your house.

Yes Mood I think these are the boyo's they were definitely not there earlier on, and just appeared last night, and they are bigger. Zapped the feckers anyway and checked there again this evening, got about 4 more stragglers, but all gone now. Phew! Thanks you put my mind at rest. :)

Yes Mood I think these are the boyo's they were definitely not there earlier on, and just appeared last night, and they are bigger. Zapped the feckers anyway and checked there again this evening, got about 4 more stragglers, but all gone now. Phew! Thanks you put my mind at rest. :)

If they are a dark, hairy version of a butterfly they are not the ones that eat material.

Advertisement