Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Messed up view?

• 16-08-2012 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

I was chatting to a co worker, and they come out with this;

" If you are good at something, dont show anyone else how to do it because then they might be better at it than you "

.... I just stared back at her like what a messed up attitude to have, she is my mentor in a way and i do not want to be learning that!

Do you agree with her views? I think it is a pretty sad outlook.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

CavanCrew wrote: »

" If you are good at something, dont show anyone else how to do it because then they might be better at it than you "

.... I just stared back at her like what a messed up attitude to have, she is my mentor in a way and i do not want to be learning that, especially in a hospital setting !

Nobody is irreplaceable both in life and in work...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Knowledge is power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

If you're good at something never do it for free

No seriously though, there's always going to be someone else thats better at something than you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Nobody is irreplaceable both in life and in work...
    ..........yet it's amazing the number of people who convince themselves they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

.... I just stared back at her like what a messed up attitude to have, she is my mentor in a way and i do not want to be learning that!

Your mentor is an idiot, get a new mentor ....or even better.... recognise that you don't need a mentor

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

"If you are good at something, dont show anyone else how to do it because then they might be better at it than you "
    Plenty of people like this, its an inferiority complex.

She obviously knows she can do this thing, but its the only value she can bring to the job. I guess she plans to retire at her current level.

Also pretty stupid, she could teach people how she does it and become 'the expert' or someone else will figure it out for themselves and she becomes redundant.

..........yet it's amazing the number of people who convince themselves they are.

Clearly i am !! but that's a matter for the courts to decide !!

I'm wondering ... is this in reference to prostate exams ? by any chance..

Actually OP I was at a training course yesterday, we were discussing the barriers and the benefits of delegating work. What you describe in your OP is one of the barriers that was mentioned by a few people and something that apparently comes up very reguarly, so messed up view or not, a lot of people think it!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

If she's supposed to be your mentor then you really have to wonder what kind of stuff she is teaching you, or not teaching you as the case may be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

We are all but mere machines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Very, very sad... And highly unproductive. I'm lucky I guess that the company I work for has a very high emphasis on sharing knowledge, so I get to train others in fields I'm really good in, and receive training from them in return for other things.
    I find this a very rewarding and productive way to run things.

Advertisement