Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help a new vegetarian please?

Options
  • 16-08-2012 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭

Hello
    Recently convert to pescatarianism, was only eating small portions of meat three times a week for a year previous, have now cut it our since April.

I do eat fish, so dinners like stirfrys and curries now just have fish instead of meat. Eat fruit and veg, waffles, chips, veggie sausages, fishcakes, cereals are weetabix and muesli, eggs..drinking 2litres uisce a day..cut out coffee on wekedays..

The past two weeks tho, Im WRECKED. Not doing anything differently, okay maybe a little less exercise then when the Olympics were on, but I still walk to work, and run, and zumba But I mean having to drag myself out of bed exhausted, even having had 8 hours sleep.

Could it be a dietary thing? Im worried Im not getting enough iron, really feel its partially a dietary thing..

Woudl really appreciate any tips or certains foods to go for; I find the internet so overwhelming with so much info..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Have you tried fresh beetroot and / or spinach? If you make a conscious effort to load up pon iron-rich foods, you can easily find out if that's the problem.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Hello
    Recently convert to vegetarianism, was only eating small portions of meat three times a week for a year previous, have now cut it our since April.

I do eat fish,

You are not a vegetarian, you are a pescetarian.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Yes you are right I am sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sav1980

Hey there!, I'd say give your body a little time to get used to the new diet. You say you've cut back on coffee? Maybe that's affecting your energy, your body may be detoxing, maybe you're taking in less calories? veggie diets are higher in fibre and because of this you may be getting full on less calories, it may also as suggested be low iron. Try to eat lots of green leafy veg and dried fruit, I think pulses like lentils and chickpeas are a good source of iron as well. If you do need to supplement - take a multivitamin or there's a supplement called spatone you can get at supermarkets / healthfood stores thats basically sachets of iron rich water - its very natural and very easy on the tummy. It looks like you've made some good dietary changes so don't be disheartened, your diet may just need a few tweaks here and there before you see / feel all the benefits. Good luck!

Thank you!
    Im not a beetroot fan sadly, but do love spinach, and tuck inot those and green beans as my dinner veggie along with waffles (quick and handy). I do think my calorie intake is down, just wish I didnt feel so sluggish! Ill take a handful of nuts or boldly some choc for a burst of energy in the day but the slump hits continually:\
    Thansk for spatone tip too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sav1980

forgot to say as well re iron, drinking tea with meals can actually hinder the absorption of iron from the food, so if that applies to you maybe try drinking tea at other times and not with meals...

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

waffles, chips, veggie sausages, fishcakes, cereals are weetabix and muesli..

No wonder you are feeling tired. Cut out all those carbs which are giving you sugar highs and crashes. I would suggest going over to the fitness forum and having a read through some of the information there. Most people do not lack iron even if they are a vegetarian.

If you are eating fish then have a nice mackerel/tuna steak/other fillet of fish and then load the plate up with either salad or green veggies for your dinner. Some eggs for breakfast and a big salad or some soup for lunch and some small snacks should see you through the day.

It might help to track what you are eating and your calorie needs through an onlilne resource such as my fitness pal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

You might want to consider going to a doctor for some blood tests just to make sure you're not deficient in anything such as iron and that there isn't another underlying cause. Then at least you'd have a better idea of what you might need to supplement or eat more of.

I should have said I eat lots of green veg and other veg, and make smoothie etc..looks a bit mad seeing waffles, chips, veggie sausages, fishcakes, cereals are weetabix and muesli.. ..I meant those in conjunction with lots of veg like spinach and green beans!!
    Thanks everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

^ Just as an add on smoothies are nothing but glasses full of sugar if made with lots of fruit, yoghurt or milk.

It doesent matter if its inconjunction with veg they need to be got rid of to eliminate the sugar highs/lows. Replace with more of the greens. That could be why you are wrecked you are getting a rush then crashing several times a day.

Sugar really is addictive stuff, you even say yourself you take some nuts/choc to eliviate the slump you get in the day. Cut out the sugar (carbs) then no slump and no need for extra snacks in the afternoon.

Again do some reading on the health and fitness forum as there is some really helpful info over there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

Vitamin C will help to boost iron absorption to try including some Orange juice or Vitc rich veg with your main Iron rich meal.

How are you feeling now LadyMaybelle?

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

I would say the cutting back on coffee has a lot to do with it. Up to recently I drank 3 cups a day every day for the last ten years. Cut down a fortnight ago, and cut it out altogether this week because of pregnancy and OMG the fatigue. It is passing though, think it takes about a week or two for your body to get used to not having the regular shots of caffeine.

Other than that, you could take a multivitamin, one of those ones with 100% everything, with extra iron.

Advertisement