Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Life on Mars

• 16-08-2012 12:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭

Now I don't think they're going to find much on Mars except some rocks. Certainly nothing like our very own living dinosaurs the crocks.
    So could we not fly a swimming pool or something onto the planet full of fish to start off.
    Then we could gradually get more and more ambitious. Sharks, crocks and and octopuses could all be flown over.
    Surely if there is no life on these planets its our duty to provide them with life.

Who knows, over years they could evolve into very sophisticated life forms. Think of crock people! Now crocks are cold blooded so I think they could really work on Mars. Obviously we'd have to give them a helping hand into settling into their new environment but I think it's something that really should be explored.

Then perhaps when the sun gobbles up Mercury, crock people could welcome all of us to Mars as refugees.

Is it something people would like to see Nasa exploring?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You'd need to terraform Mars first. The atmosphere is soooooo thin compared to here. If you could stand without a spacesuit on Mars a 200Mph wind would feel like a very light breeze. If you screamed at the top of your lungs someone 40 feet away would be hard pressed to hear you. It's also very dim light wise. Like dusk here on earth. Then you have the scary radiation streaming in from space. Somewhere like Venus might be the better bet. It's complete hell now, but if you could figure out a way to strip the CO2 you might have a better chance at creating a better environment and sustaining it as its the same size as earth. Even if you could magically give Mars an atmosphere in the morning a la Total Recall it would fly off into space because of the lack of gravity.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Oh Teddy, Teddy, Teddy.....we need to find you a hobby!!

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Teddy, you could be our very own Croc Dundee and die go with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Wibbs wrote: »
    . Even if you could magically give Mars an atmosphere in the morning a la Total Recall it would fly off into space because of the lack of gravity.

We also need to find a way to kick start it's core and get it's magnetic field going again. Chances are though that is has solidified long ago for some reason and our has kept on going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭EZ24GET

You could have a shiney new title " First Martian Croc Supervisor" It would suit you, and when the crocs ran out of food I'm sure you'd have no problem sacrificing yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

They would probably have a better chance on Titan, it's a pity they don't invest some more resources exploring it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

When the sun takes us out, it's going to take Mars too.

When that happens you need to get to Titan to enjoy those lazy, crazy, hazy days of summer.

Anyway, I'm sure some giant rock or solar super-flare will have taken us out by then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Jawgap wrote: »
    When the sun takes us out, it's going to take Mars too.

When that happens you need to get to Titan to enjoy those lazy, crazy, hazy days of summer.

Anyway, I'm sure some giant rock or solar super-flare will have taken us out by then.

All life on this planet will be long dead before the sun swallows the planet up. The oceans and atmosphere will have boiled away millions of years before then.

Plus that, at about the same time the Andromeda galaxy will collide with ours and that will create all sorts of fun as the two giant black holes merge and every thing will be all over the place. Fun time to be around. I'd love to be a fly one wall as it were to see all that first hand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Mars gravity is to weak to sustain an Earth-like atmosphere, It also has no magnetic field to keep an Earth-like atmosphere and deflect harmful cosmic rays. Forget about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

quaid, start the reactor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

People may point and laugh at TeddyTedson but scientists have recently found a mouse on mars!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

All life on this planet will be long dead before the sun swallows the planet up. The oceans and atmosphere will have boiled away millions of years before then.

Plus that, at about the same time the Andromeda galaxy will collide with ours and that will create all sorts of fun as the two giant black holes merge and every thing will be all over the place. Fun time to be around. I'd love to be a fly one wall as it were to see all that first hand.

LIES.

God won't let that happen.
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

why not move earth to Mars and Mars to here, seems the easiest solution in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The swimming pool idea won't work; German holiday makers would have their towels out to reserve their spot within seconds. There's probably other flaws in the plan too, but that's what sprung to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Surely it would be easier to transport a human rather than a fcuking shark or a load of fish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Now I don't think they're going to find much on Mars except some rocks. Certainly nothing like our very own living dinosaurs the crocks.
    So could we not fly a swimming pool or something onto the planet full of fish to start off.
    Then we could gradually get more and more ambitious. Sharks, crocks and and octopuses could all be flown over.
    Surely if there is no life on these planets its our duty to provide them with life.

Who knows, over years they could evolve into very sophisticated life forms. Think of crock people! Now crocks are cold blooded so I think they could really work on Mars. Obviously we'd have to give them a helping hand into settling into their new environment but I think it's something that really should be explored.

Then perhaps when the sun gobbles up Mercury, crock people could welcome all of us to Mars as refugees.

Is it something people would like to see Nasa exploring?

Cold blooded creatures don't like cold climates, that's why there are very few of them here in Ireland... well other than the politicians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I knew I was right to join the Scientologists - I'll be long gone by then!

"The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one," he said.
    "The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one - but they still
    come!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Wibbs wrote: »
    You'd need to terraform Mars first. The atmosphere is soooooo thin compared to here. If you could stand without a spacesuit on Mars a 200Mph wind would feel like a very light breeze. If you screamed at the top of your lungs someone 40 feet away would be hard pressed to hear you. It's also very dim light wise. Like dusk here on earth. Then you have the scary radiation streaming in from space. Somewhere like Venus might be the better bet. It's complete hell now, but if you could figure out a way to strip the CO2 you might have a better chance at creating a better environment and sustaining it as its the same size as earth. Even if you could magically give Mars an atmosphere in the morning a la Total Recall it would fly off into space because of the lack of gravity.

So.. basically... still better than living in Tallaght?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

We also need to find a way to kick start it's core and get it's magnetic field going again. Chances are though that is has solidified long ago for some reason and our has kept on going.

Well, I know a guy called Quaid, I think he can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Colmustard wrote: »
    come!"

He said going to Mars not coming from.
    Also now I've got Jeff Wayne stuck in my head, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Colmustard wrote: »
    come!"

My parents own that LP on vinyl and used to play it. The main theme scared the sh*t outta me. In retrospect its an amazing album. Only upon a repeat listen did i realise it was Phil Lynott playing the voice of the preacher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Anyone else incredibly disappointed that the OP stopped rhyming after the first line?

I was sure we were getting a witty poem of some sort. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

kfallon wrote: »
    Oh Teddy, Teddy, Teddy.....we need to find you a hobby!!

:p

Ahh, his intentions were right at least :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

There is life on Mars.
    They're called Tharks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

There is life on Mars.
    They're called Tharks.

There's more than just Tharks.

Weird how I can only get that reference due to reading the books in the last couple of months. I wonder how many times before that it popped up, and I just skimmed past it not recognising it.
    It happened recently with some other book too, within a week somebody referenced it.

• Advertisement

There is life on Mars.
    They're called Tharks.

I seen that film recently, it was one of the biggest flops in cinema history so I wasn't expecting much.

But:eek: I thought it was very good, I find myself recommending it.

Advertisement