Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday Spin???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Merch is on a Suzuki 250cc cruiser....very clean bike aswell for its age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

250 cruiser, suzuki, It seems to accelerate well in the lower gears ( until I compare it), but when you are in 5th all it's doing is keeping the revs down, if Im at 60 (or more, as I have been a few times on the motorway) there is not much if anything left to overtake unless I hug the tank and crawl past someone, certainly no noticeable acceleration, so a slight hill or gust causes it to die off.
    I guess its not really meant to be driven at that speed :)

I dont think I was up at that speed on the spin, I wasnt looking at the speedo, was watching the road, i think I was at my own limits there, in the dry I feel ok, but cornering in the wet, Im cautious.

That is perfectly normal to be cautious especially in the wet Keith, it will take along time for that to decline...the feeling of "any minute now the bike will slide" especialy when cornering in the wet. Only by getting out and riding in them conditions will you get better. Motorbikes have a very steep learning curve and a very unforgiving one too. Thats why we get out when we can to get experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

the feeling of "any minute now the bike will slide" Well put Wonda. Its hard to find the balance. Oh to be young again when you had no fear:D I must start up the bike. I havent had a chance to take it out in 2 weeks now:o

Come out with us next week Joe, or I do be out mid week also.....giz a bell if you out and about.

• Advertisement

Im up for a massive Sunday spin next weekend if the weathers good!

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

urbanledge wrote: »
    Im up for a massive Sunday spin next weekend if the weathers good!

oh no you didn't! :p

LOL......CRINGE!!!!

Must have a bike made out of Icing Sugar......only takin the piss mate. I will give you a PM next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Any limerick heads on here at all...tis a long way to go for a dublin spin

I ride from carlow to meet up with the guys, we dont neccessary stick to around the Dublin reagon once we have met up.

We all could meet up somewhere in the middle like portlaoise, should take you about an hour and a bit to get there on the motorway and same for the dublin heads. Some nice roads around portlaoise.

• Advertisement

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Come out with us next week Joe, or I do be out mid week also.....giz a bell if you out and about.

Not a bad idea. Im available mid week and sunday. Ill be in touch.

We are due a spin to Carlow again TBH next week or the week after. We usually go about 2hrs away from the meeting point and then try to come back on said point again in a different loop. Does not always work out like that all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Spins do not start in Dublin.
    We have people come from Wicklow, Wexford, Kilkenny, Carlow,Kildare, Laois,Offaly, Meath, Westmeath and Dublin.
    We meet up at different places first and then all the group meet somewhere central for the groups.
    Spins go to different places each time.

Spins go to different places each time.

When you know where you are going and not pretending to know where you are goin! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

When you are mingling with bigger bikes you think that you are far too slow or that you need more speed BUT when you actually think about it you dont (not for weekend spins and the like) The bike you have is totally fine and you were fine with us all day long. Sure there was another 250cc with us today aswell. I know its not comparing apples to apples but you get the general idea. If we were touring across Ireland then yes you would struggle keeping up with bigger bikes.

Yes, its nice to have the power there when you need it for a bit of a blast but your bike is fine for what you you it for. See you in 2 weeks time.....

When I think about it, it seems that Merch wants more power. Simple.
    It seems that it is not fine - re read the postd Merch has posted.

Sunday/weekend spins for me are about going for a blast, not tooteling along wishing you had a more powerfull bie.
    Merch wrote: »
    250 cruiser, suzuki, It seems to accelerate well in the lower gears ( until I compare it), but when you are in 5th all it's doing is keeping the revs down, if Im at 60 (or more, as I have been a few times on the motorway) there is not much if anything left to overtake unless I hug the tank and crawl past someone, certainly no noticeable acceleration, so a slight hill or gust causes it to die off.
    I guess its not really meant to be driven at that speed :)

I dont think I was up at that speed on the spin, I wasnt looking at the speedo, was watching the road, i think I was at my own limits there, in the dry I feel ok, but cornering in the wet, Im cautious.

Seems to me you want a bit more power. time to check out donedeal, etc. There will be something out there for you.

I think we are all a bit cautious in the wet - not of us want to have a low side, and we are always a bit more cautious when the roads are wet.
    That is perfectly normal to be cautious especially in the wet Keith, it will take along time for that to decline...the feeling of "any minute now the bike will slide" especialy when cornering in the wet. Only by getting out and riding in them conditions will you get better. Motorbikes have a very steep learning curve and a very unforgiving one too. Thats why we get out when we can to get experience.

So, how long did it take you?

I would like more power but I am going to stick with what i have for a while, 2years anyway, until my restriction is up.
    In that time I'll get as much experience on the road as I can.
    If I can get something else then, my bike may not be worth too much, I might just hold onto it.

The bike can go the speed I can manage, maybe more. It'll be fine for me now and on the spin it was ok.

It was on the way down and the way back on the motorway that was/seemed like a pain, just seems slow, even though I can get 70+ there, I cant overtake anything, its kind of relative as everything else is doing 65-70 so maybe the speed/acceleration/power that I think isnt available is a bit of an illusion, I dont think it would do 80 unless I was going down a steep hill! :)
    Tbh I think its best I get experience before getting a bigger bike, Im glad to be able to get out on it.
    I've gone out for spins on my own and its not as good, no one to pace yourself off, no advice, banter etc

The lad is only finding his feet and learning the correct positions on the road etc, so more power is the last thing he needs at this particular time. If he feels he wants a bigger bike....off ya go buddy. Maybe he would like a different stlye of bike rather then a more powerful bike? He was not tooteling any where, he kept the pace nicely and was on some very tight and twisty roads and a few more spins will do him the world of good. I think alot of peeps on 125/250cc quickly realise that they would love a bit more power, especially if out riding with bigger bikes constantly. If we were all on 250cc bikes there would be no problems.

As you said, If your idea of a weekend ride is fast blast on the crotch rocket off ya go. Some people like a relaxed ride with good company and craic so each to there own...

As for myself learning to ride in the wet I am still learning, you never stop learning. I will always be cautious and smooth in the wet but I do like the challenge of wet riding. I have a fair bit of experience in the rain as I dont stop going out because of it. I am out in it alot and have been all over Ireland in the pissing rain non stop for hours on end riding on all types of roads....it helps to have good gear and good tyres all the same.

Its kind of pipe dream
    I think you're right wonda

when my experience exceeds the bikes ability then I'll move up, maybe not 2 years, will have to see how long it takes me to improve.

Merch are you on your full ? I'm still on a learner and don't really want to go on any spins until i get off that...go for plenty of runs on my own though to get the experience in there.

I am but I havent really been out on the bike that much since the test, I only started last year, I think the spin could be a good way to get experience, I am not really road experienced to say the least, I practiced to pass the test, but I wasn't left behind.
    I used to go on some spins myself, which I'd still do. (But the spin has its advantages is what i mean)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I was always going by spins myself but i found that while that made me more comfortable on my bike i didnt really learn anything.
    When you are out with a few people it helps you learn road position and personally for me it helped me realise just how far i can lean my bike over. Its good seeing someone in front of me take a corner at speed that usually i would of gone through slowly because i didnt have the confidence to lean the bike over enough. It wouldnt give me instant confidence to also lean the bike that much but it defo reinforces in your mind that its safe to lean that much which in turn helped me gain confidence in leaning the bike.

Merch wrote: »
    Its kind of pipe dream
    I think you're right wonda

when my experience exceeds the bikes ability then I'll move up, maybe not 2 years, will have to see how long it takes me to improve.

If you get out on the bike on your own or with like minded guys you will improve double time....

Its totally natural to want a bigger bike as your experience grows. Its just you might want it a bit sooner starting off on a 125/250cc. You can outgrow them pretty quickly, I already know the next bike I would like...its a natural progression TBH. If I have to wait the 2 yrs no bother if I can do the new IBT module 5 (if ratified) then I will.

Merch are you on your full ? I'm still on a learner and don't really want to go on any spins until i get off that...go for plenty of runs on my own though to get the experience in there.

Dont let the fact that you are on a learner put you off on going on spins. Im on a learner and have gone on 3 spins so far and I really enjoyed them all. Like the lads mentioned, the experience and tips you pick up from the others is vital. I can ride the bike up & down the N4 5 days a week but thats not giving me any good experience on bends or country roads. For example, I can ride up the N4 at 80kph and feel pretty confident in doing that. But put me in an empty car park and ask me to do tight/slow turns around cones & im Fu*ked. How long have you had your learner permit now?

Dont let the fact that you are on a learner put you off on going on spins. Im on a learner and have gone on 3 spins so far and I really enjoyed them all. Like the lads mentioned, the experience and tips you pick up from the others is vital. I can ride the bike up & down the N4 5 days a week but thats not giving me any good experience on bends or country roads. For example, I can ride up the N4 at 80kph and feel pretty confident in doing that. But put me in an empty car park and ask me to do tight/slow turns around cones & im Fu*ked. How long have you had your learner permit now?

riding since April now. waiting for the new laws before i apply for the test. I suppose it depends what type of a spin in it. i wouldnt like to put people on the spin at risk over something ive done down to lack of experience

riding since April now. waiting for the new laws before i apply for the test. I suppose it depends what type of a spin in it. i wouldnt like to put people on the spin at risk over something ive done down to lack of experience

If you can ride within your own comfort zone and are aware of your limits then you are more then welcome, unfortunately I have been out twice now with new lads with something to prove and they were trying to impress ( i dont know why there were no hot chicks) binned it badly. In fact the more new lads on bikes out the better I say.....as long as you have brakes of course and a sense of humour ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

So whats the craic tomorrow lads? What way you heading?

As much as I would like to go tomorrow, cant make it

Few casualties tomorrow for what ever the reason, but I will be out and about. Its not meant to be a great day but I wont let that stop me, dont forget the clocks go back tonite so dont be late to the meeting points.

Goodlad PM sent.

Sorry lads can't make it this week, I'm working through the night and I will be sleeping tomorow to make up for it. Have a good one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Still in Portugal :) should be out next week haha

Advertisement