Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday Spin???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I think he means if the group are blowing the cobwebs off and caining the bikes at silly speeds and he trys to keep up and gets done for speeding it will suck!

But sure if a group are driving like madmen all you have to do it pull in, wave bye bye at them with a middle finger and then head on home knowing that you didnt force yourself to drive like a spa just because someone else was.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    I too have considered going along to one of these ride outs as I use the bike for commuting and have not yet been along to any of the organized ride outs.

One thing putting me off so far was seeing groups of bikers acting a maggot on the N81 and makes me think all the ride outs are like that. I seriously can't afford to ride out of my comfort zone as I depend on it for daily commuting.

And apart from the fact the bike is dirty as hell that I am ashamed to show my face with the bike in such state! :D Hopefully weather improving so I can get to clean her up properly.

Always drive within your comfort zone (of course you want to push yourself a bit to become a better rider)

But as for speed, style etc. etc. on the Sunday spin. The Lads that want to go that bit faster will pass anyone slower out when safe to do so. If you want to take it handy you do just that and lads will pass you if and when its safe for both riders.

You wont get lost/left behind as one of the more experienced riders will always keep an eye on the riders behind, pull in at any intersection where they could go wrong, point you in the right direction and we get around like that.

I myself will usually stick up near the front as thats just the pace for me. If it gets to fast I just move over to the left and let anyone who wants pass.

Many a time I also enjoy following the newbie at the back of the group to give them a bit of confidence that they are not last :D

Sure im on a sv1000s and ya would swear im on a honda 90 with the pace i do, hahaha!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I too have considered going along to one of these ride outs as I use the bike for commuting and have not yet been along to any of the organized ride outs.

One thing putting me off so far was seeing groups of bikers acting a maggot on the N81 and makes me think all the ride outs are like that. I seriously can't afford to ride out of my comfort zone as I depend on it for daily commuting.

And apart from the fact the bike is dirty as hell that I am ashamed to show my face with the bike in such state! :D Hopefully weather improving so I can get to clean her up properly.
    First rule of every ride out that's ever happened in the history of motorcycling is to go at your own pace.
    Never been on a boards sunday spin, but on any spin or rally I've been on, just go your own pace. NEVER try and ride out of your comfort zone cos it's not fun.
    Not sure about sunday spin, but when I'm touring I'm watching the scenery too. Some lads go out on the most scenic roads and all they much have seen is the tarmac in front of them. Fast riding on bendy roads is for the track

goodlad wrote: »
    Sure im on a sv1000s and ya would swear im on a honda 90 with the pace i do, hahaha!
    Sounds cool, that's all that matters :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Zascar wrote: »
    However what do you mean by: I seriously can't afford to ride out of my comfort zone as I depend on it for daily commuting.

Really you want to up your skill level to make your commute even safer.

I'm commuting now nearly 2 years and I am more than happy and confident I can do it and I do feel safe on my commute. As goodlad mentioned, that is exactly why I did not join any spins yet. I would not like to feel under pressure to ride in the manner I do not feel comfortable.
    As mentioned above, you wont know what the sunday spin is like until you try it.

Well I guess that is spot on!

goodlad wrote: »
    I think he means if the group are blowing the cobwebs off and caining the bikes at silly speeds and he trys to keep up and gets done for speeding it will suck!

But sure if a group are driving like madmen all you have to do it pull in, wave bye bye at them with a middle finger and then head on home knowing that you didnt force yourself to drive like a spa just because someone else was.

Never really thought of it that way...

leppla wrote: »
    Always drive within your comfort zone (of course you want to push yourself a bit to become a better rider)

But as for speed, style etc. etc. on the Sunday spin. The Lads that want to go that bit faster will pass anyone slower out when safe to do so. If you want to take it handy you do just that and lads will pass you if and when its safe for both riders.

You wont get lost/left behind as one of the more experienced riders will always keep an eye on the riders behind, pull in at any intersection where they could go wrong, point you in the right direction and we get around like that.

I myself will usually stick up near the front as thats just the pace for me. If it gets to fast I just move over to the left and let anyone who wants pass.

Many a time I also enjoy following the newbie at the back of the group to give them a bit of confidence that they are not last :D

I guess I will just have to try it, but I will wait for the nicer weather. It is enough I am stuck in the rain and the likes Monday to Friday. Really don't need that on my day off. :D

I'm commuting now nearly 2 years and I am more than happy and confident I can do it and I do feel safe on my commute. As goodlad mentioned, that is exactly why I did not join any spins yet. I would not like to feel under pressure to ride in the manner I do not feel comfortable.

Well I guess that is spot on!

Never really thought of it that way...

I guess I will just have to try it, but I will wait for the nicer weather. It is enough I am stuck in the rain and the likes Monday to Friday. Really don't need that on my day off. :D

I commute Monday to Friday also. But Sundays ate totally different. Love them spins

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Just to put things straight, all are welcome on any sunday spin.
    Nobody gets left behind.
    Ride within your own comfort zone, no worries about being left behind or getting lost.
    Everyone keeps an eye on the bike behind them, so there is no big gap.
    When changing direction, the front rider will wait at the junction until everyone comes along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Forgot to ask how you got on. Did you manage to shake the cobwebs off?

Cheers mate. Didn't happen unfortunately. :( Herself is due any day now, couldn't take a chance on going too far in case she goes into labour. :pac: Will be going local during the week (hopefully) if you want to come along.

Cheers mate. Didn't happen unfortunately. :( Herself is due any day now, couldn't take a chance on going too far in case she goes into labour. :pac: Will be going local during the week (hopefully) if you want to come along.
    I'm in the same boat, might see you in Holles Street. I'll be the one putting a baby into a blanket lined pannier outside. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Cienciano wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat, might see you in Holles Street. I'll be the one putting a baby into a blanket lined pannier outside. :pac:

Pffft! Tank-bag is the way forward mate! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

At the moment im available on thursday. Sure lets see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

At the moment im available on thursday. Sure lets see what happens.

Thats if you have a bike left Joe with that fookin Dawg eating the bike every day....:pac:

Just to put things straight, all are welcome on any sunday spin.
    Nobody gets left behind.
    Ride within your own comfort zone, no worries about being left behind or getting lost.
    Everyone keeps an eye on the bike behind them, so there is no big gap.
    When changing direction, the front rider will wait at the junction until everyone comes along.

Exactly...but just a little disclaimer, if you are not prepared to look after yourself or the others around you in the above manner. Then maybe this is not the spin for you. ;)
    We have had people throw a strop and leave after an hour or so because they did not like the group stopping for others to catch up and the like or would not wait at junctions for others to know where to go.....thats to much hassle for them.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    would actually love to do this TBH....I will try to twist a few arms and join in for the CRAIC.

Arm Twisted :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

would actually love to do this TBH....I will try to twist a few arms and join in for the CRAIC.

I don't think I will be around for that date due work, if I am count me in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

ouch stop twisting my arm!!!

I work weekends but i will take that Sunday off if i can afford to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭thecivvie

I'm working, but I'd recommend anyone considering a spin to take this one in.. I love Connemara.. But wrap up well!.

Get pix!.

Connemara is great and if the weather is like today leathers are more than enough, I melted coming back from Galway today :)

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Just a quickie, we meet at Advance Pitstop most Sunday mornings @ 10:30 for a nice leisurely spin, nothing too hectic. Usually involves a hot cuppa at some point, plenty of shennanigans and good fun. All levels welcome, and no-one is left behind. Usually back and all for lunch to keep the OH's happy !:D

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

Right lads who will be at Naas in the morning?

Fancy a spin its been ages :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

nerrad1983 wrote: »
    Right lads who will be at Naas in the morning?

Fancy a spin its been ages :o

Motorbike racing today and tomorrow in Mondello.

Adelaide Masters Series.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Anyone up the Wicklow gap this morning...??.....Jesus all that salt and grit on the roads...i barely got the knee down at all.............:D

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭rat_race

Anyone up the Wicklow gap this morning...??.....Jesus all that salt and grit on the roads...i barely got the knee down at all.............:D

I was up there. Yeah, was a bit annoying...better that than ice though :)

Make sure you wash the bikes after that salt....needed to get a new chain for the bike so had to miss this spin. See you all next week....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

rat_race wrote: »
    I was up there. Yeah, was a bit annoying...better that than ice though :)

Was up there yesterday too...i thought it was ice in places....:eek:....
    needed to get a new chain for the bike so had to miss this spin. See you all next week....

,,,thats a poor excuse..............:D

• Advertisement

Yeah it is really....chain snapping at 100mph is NO BIGGIE, a couple of tight spots so I aint risking it.

Advertisement