Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yellow Spot

Options
  • 16-08-2012 12:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

I'm a big fan of Green Spot. It's hands down my favourite whiskey. I picked up a bottle of the new Yellow Spot last week in the distillery in Midleton.

Not sure whether I'm as big a fan of it. I also picked up a bottle of the distillery reserve 12 year old Jameson, which I much prefer.

Anyone else tried Yellow Spot? Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I really like Yellow Spot.
    It is sweeter than the Green.
    I'm usually not a fan of the sweeter whiskeys but I like the complexity of this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

Just noticed the celtic whiskey shop nor the drinkstore are stocking this at the moment. anyone know any where in Dublin that is?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

puffishoes wrote: »
    Just noticed the celtic whiskey shop nor the drinkstore are stocking this at the moment. anyone know any where in Dublin that is?

Mitchell and Sons? They have a place in the IFSC and Glasthule.

AFAIK there were only 5000 cases made and 4000 of them were for export.
    It might be all gone!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

There's plenty in the old jameson distillery in smithfield. As with all pot still whiskeys, you have to let it breath for a few days before it comes into it's stride. So give it a few days and if you don't like it then then you probably never will.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Bruce7

There's plenty in the old jameson distillery in smithfield. As with all pot still whiskeys, you have to let it breath for a few days before it comes into it's stride. So give it a few days and if you don't like it then then you probably never will.

Interesting. I didn't know this. What do you mean by 'let it breathe'? Leave the bottle uncorked for a few days?

Mitchells sell it online as well, for anyone looking.

http://www.mitchellandson.com/spirits/type/spot-range-whiskies.html

Bruce7 wrote: »
    Interesting. I didn't know this. What do you mean by 'let it breathe'? Leave the bottle uncorked for a few days?

New one on me too. I assume he means opening the bottle, pouring off a drop and recorking it for a few days.
    If you left the bottle uncorked for days, the alcohol would evaporate.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Bruce7 wrote: »

Mitchells sell it online as well, for anyone looking.

http://www.mitchellandson.com/spirits/type/spot-range-whiskies.html

Allow it to oxygenate by opening it, allowing some fresh air into the bottle and closing it again. I find that the first glass straight out of a new bottle, particularly from a pps or peated whiskey can be a bit rough and a whiskey drinks better if opened a few days beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Some whiskeys will change in the bottle slightly while others a bit more after opening. Some for the good some for the bad. However it may not be noticeable to everyone. I had not noticed any wild divinations but the very first glass from a bottle can come across as "bigger" on flavour that later on in the bottle if you have left it for a while. It can also be a situation that you become more accustomed to the taste and the expectation may not be as it was so your experience can often be quite different when you go back to any whiskey.

The Yellow Spot is very different to the Green Spot

Where you might get subtle traces of mint along with the vanilla Honey and Caramel on the Green Spot with a drying finisg. The Yellow spot is a much fruitier afair. The honey is still there but it is more unctuous (Sorry I love that word ;-) ) with peach and apricot as well as a lovely spice kick which may not be to every ones taste with the fruit carrying into the finish and ending as if you had licked an envelope. On balance a much richer whiskey.

I must admit I prefer it over the Green Spot but it is all down to personal choice.

In relation to availability all allocations have been distributed so if they are out they are out and you'll have to wait till next year for the next batch. I know McCambridges in Galway had it last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Morf wrote: »
    Mitchell and Sons? They have a place in the IFSC and Glasthule.

The one in the IFSC has loads, i picked up a bottle in there a few weeks ago €65 so not hugely expensive either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement