Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No internet for 5 weeks - eircom not giving answers.

Options
  • 16-08-2012 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭

On the 11th of July my broadband suddenly wasn't working. Rang eircom and they said it was probably the modem so they sent a new one. It didn't fix the problem.

Over the next week or so they sent 3 different people to try and fix it - none succeeded.

After 5 weeks and countless phone calls to eircom we still don't have internet or any answers.

For about a week we had limited but usable internet after it was dropped to 4mb(from 8, I think) but now it's back to not working every few seconds.

My Dad spoke to a manager this morning and he said he has been unable to contact the team trying to fix it as they won't answer their phones so he's trying to contact their manager now :confused:

It's getting ridiculous now and my sister needs to check her CAO offers on Monday morning.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Anyone? It's really important that we get it back soon :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

alroley wrote: »
    On the 11th of July my broadband suddenly wasn't working. Rang eircom and they said it was probably the modem so they sent a new one. It didn't fix the problem.

Over the next week or so they sent 3 different people to try and fix it - none succeeded.

After 5 weeks and countless phone calls to eircom we still don't have internet or any answers.

For about a week we had limited but usable internet after it was dropped to 4mb(from 8, I think) but now it's back to not working every few seconds.

My Dad spoke to a manager this morning and he said he has been unable to contact the team trying to fix it as they won't answer their phones so he's trying to contact their manager now :confused:

It's getting ridiculous now and my sister needs to check her CAO offers on Monday morning.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Hi alroley,

I'll look into this for you and see if we can push it with tech support. Can you PM me the phone number and I'll chase the fault up for you.

Thanks

James

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

Thanks for the speedy reply with PM.

Have been able to check the fault report and can see the history on the account. There was an engineer out yesterday who has changed the port and some other small things at the exchange. They have acknowledged on the fault report that the problem still exists even after these changes. The actual line test is not indicating any problems so they need to dig a bit deeper to find the issue. It was assigned to a new crew this morning at 9.30 but no-one has been dispatched just yet. The reference number for the fault is 11378330and should hopefully be resolved by tomorrow. I have also email the manager who logged the initial fault for any further updates. Will let you know as soon as I get something back.

Regards

James

Thanks very much James.
    I hope it can be fixed by tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

OP, we had a similar problem with Eircom, it lasted two months, sometimes no broadband and other times a very poor signal. We had 4 technicians come out to us. We were treated appallingly by Eircom after over 10 years of custom. We were advised by a customer service representative that if 3 technicians cannot solve the problem then the contract is null and void and you are free to leave without penalty. Of course when we left Eircom we had to get Comreg involved because "their customer service representative should never have said we could leave penalty free". In the end Eircom made all the penalty charges disappear and we left penalty free.

My partner was running a business from our home at the time. He was relying on broadband to check stock and prices from his suppliers. Eircom couldn't have cared less about that and in the end, over the two months, he actually lost significant custom because of Eircom but sure they didn't care, surprise surprise.

• Advertisement

OP, we had a similar problem with Eircom, it lasted two months, sometimes no broadband and other times a very poor signal. We had 4 technicians come out to us. We were treated appallingly by Eircom after over 10 years of custom. We were advised by a customer service representative that if 3 technicians cannot solve the problem then the contract is null and void and you are free to leave without penalty. Of course when we left Eircom we had to get Comreg involved because "their customer service representative should never have said we could leave penalty free". In the end Eircom made all the penalty charges disappear and we left penalty free.

My partner was running a business from our home at the time. He was relying on broadband to check stock and prices from his suppliers. Eircom couldn't have cared less about that and in the end, over the two months, he actually lost significant custom because of Eircom but sure they didn't care, surprise surprise.

Was the problem fixed before or after you left eircom?

I have thought about trying to leave but because the problem is so deep it would be eircom fixing it anyway, I think?

Thanks for sharing your story - awful that your partner lost out so much from it :(

Rang eircom again today - got through to a very rude guy who wouldn't tell me what the problem was and said it could be 6-12 MONTHS before it was fixed!!

I really don't know what to do - I am getting no where.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Rang eircom again today - got through to a very rude guy who wouldn't tell me what the problem was and said it could be 6-12 MONTHS before it was fixed!!

I really don't know what to do - I am getting no where.

Thanks for your post alroley.

Your broadband fault is currently assigned to an engineering crew and is pending repair.
    I spoke with Technical Support and they advise that your broadband connection has been intermittent. They also advise that broadband engineers are currently looking into your broadband and are checking your phoneline from the exchange up to the main phone point going into your premises.

They have advised if you need a further update that you call them. There is no need to use a reference number as they are aware of your broadband case. They have also changed your broadband profile slightly in order to stabilise your broadband connection.

Once engineers have completed their checks, and if you are still experiencing intermittent sync or connection issues, contact Technical Support. If your broadband returns to normal, contact Support so they can try to change your broadband profile back again.

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (locall); Hours : 8am - 10pm (7 days).

Best Regards,
    Ant

It was working fine for a few days and was up to around 3mb/s but now back down to 0.89mb/s and getting this message like 80% of the time :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

It was working fine for a few days and was up to around 3mb/s but now back down to 0.89mb/s and getting this message like 80% of the time :(

Hi alroley,

The line and broadband connection seem fine since the engineer was out on the 21/08/12.

Do you get the same error message when you are accessing the internet through different web browsers i.e firefox exc ...

Does anyone within the address access the internet for online gaming as some games require the DNS settings to be changed to access gaming online?

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement

It's the same on both Firefox and Chrome.

My brother uses it for his xbox.

If I'm watching a movie or something nothing else will work in a new tab until it's loaded fully.

The rest of the time it's hit and miss on whether a page will load or not, and usually when it does pictures won't appear (like on Facebook).

It was working fine again up until a few days ago.

It's the same on both Firefox and Chrome.

My brother uses it for his xbox.

If I'm watching a movie or something nothing else will work in a new tab until it's loaded fully.

The rest of the time it's hit and miss on whether a page will load or not, and usually when it does pictures won't appear (like on Facebook).

It was working fine again up until a few days ago.

Hi,

Can you disconnect the Xbox for a few hours to see if there is still a delay with the standard browsing?

Thanks, Mark

Sure! Will do that now.

Disconnected the xbox but it was still the same.

Speed up to 1.91 mb/s today. Still having issues with pages/pictures not loading a lot of the time.

Would love if it was back up to at least 3 - used to get around 5 before issues started in July.

I'm confused over it all though - I'm in the middle of a city - should I not be getting close to 8?

Speed up to 1.91 mb/s today. Still having issues with pages/pictures not loading a lot of the time.

Would love if it was back up to at least 3 - used to get around 5 before issues started in July.

I'm confused over it all though - I'm in the middle of a city - should I not be getting close to 8?

Hi alroley,

Apologies, the broadband speed was reduced during the fault investigation. I have increased the profile to 5MB.

That should take effect in the next hour.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark,

As far as I know the line just can't handle 5MB any more(it used to,no one has explained why it changed).But when it is lowered it only works some of the time.

Now I am getting this error and no page will load at all.
    This was the same error I was getting before it was "fixed".

Got it dropped down to 3MB and seems to be working okay(better than yesterday but not perfect - still having problems with pages/pictures loading but it's way more usable) for now. Was told that the line can handle 6MB - but every time it's above 4MB it won't work.

Got it dropped down to 3MB and seems to be working okay(better than yesterday but not perfect - still having problems with pages/pictures loading but it's way more usable) for now. Was told that the line can handle 6MB - but every time it's above 4MB it won't work.

Hi alroley,

Sorry I did not get back to you sooner, I am following up with managers in broadband technical support and I should get back to you early next week.

Thanks, Mark

Thanks very much Mark :)

• Advertisement

Experiencing extremely limited connection today. Speed test was 1.42mb/s.

Any updates on what's wrong?

It's been awful the past few days :\

It's been awful the past few days :\

Hi alroley,

I am sorry to go over old ground but the speed is steady at 3Mb to the main socket, 1.4MB over wifi (depending on the device) can be within the normal speed range?

Thanks, Mark

I don't really understand what you mean. I would put up with 1.4mb/s if I wasn't getting that error message most of the time. That's the most annoying thing.

I don't really understand what you mean. I would put up with 1.4mb/s if I wasn't getting that error message most of the time. That's the most annoying thing.

Hi alroley,

Can you outline the exact error message you are getting please?

Thanks, Mark

The one I posted a screen-cap of in post #10 in this thread.

Disconnected the xbox but it was still the same.

Hi alroley,

Apologies I had that in the case history.

The only issue that I can think of is that with the xbox live sometimes the DNS settings sometimes need to be changed and the firewall may need to be lowered.

As when the xbox was disconnected the general browsing seemed to work fine?

Has your brother made any change to the modem settings / config for setting up the xbox / live gaming?

Thanks, Mark

There's been no changes to the xbox and even when it's completely disconnected I still get the same message.

From what's happened it seems that when the line is raised and then lowered back down to 3mb it works fine(but slower than it was before) for a few days and then goes back to being very slow and not working most of the time.

There's been no changes to the xbox and even when it's completely disconnected I still get the same message.

From what's happened it seems that when the line is raised and then lowered back down to 3mb it works fine(but slower than it was before) for a few days and then goes back to being very slow and not working most of the time.

Hi alroley,

I have been speaking to managers in broadband technical support. They asked if you could try the below FirmWare update to see that has any change.

http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/download/zyxel/

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement

Did that.

Back up to 2.66mb/s and so far haven't had any issues with pages not loading. Line is still set at 3MB (I think) - do you think it could handle being brought back up again? Every time it has been put over 3MB it hasn't worked at all.

Was told it could handle 6MB(which is right because up until July is was always over 5MB/s)

Advertisement