Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Made a mess of my CAO. Help?

Options
  • 16-08-2012 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I made a bit of a balls of my CAO course choices. All throughout 6th year I had wanted to do science and had law as my next option. I put Science in UCD as my number one choice, followed by a few other science based courses. Law in UCD came in at number 4 on my CAO. After the final date for the change of mind had passed, I started to doubt whether science was what I really wanted to study. I liked it in school and we were always encouraged to study it as there is an abundance of jobs for graduates. So I threw it down, thinking it was what I wanted. After getting my results yesterday, my mind was cleared. My strengths lie with languages, etc. rather than with maths and science. I got 540 which is enough for Law in UCD and for Science in UCD. I'll be offered Science as it's my first choice but it's no longer what I want to do.

My question is: If I was to accept the offer for Science in UCD would I be able to transfer internally to Law in UCD? And if so, is it possible to transfer from UCD Law to Trinity Law at the end of first year (financial reasons)? Or will I just have to take a year out and reapply?

I have already called the CAO, they can't help. I've called the college also but I couldn't get through. Any help is much appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

123Mike wrote: »
    I made a bit of a balls of my CAO course choices. All throughout 6th year I had wanted to do science and had law as my next option. I put Science in UCD as my number one choice, followed by a few other science based courses. Law in UCD came in at number 4 on my CAO. After the final date for the change of mind had passed, I started to doubt whether science was what I really wanted to study. I liked it in school and we were always encouraged to study it as there is an abundance of jobs for graduates. So I threw it down, thinking it was what I wanted. After getting my results yesterday, my mind was cleared. My strengths lie with languages, etc. rather than with maths and science. I got 540 which is enough for Law in UCD and for Science in UCD. I'll be offered Science as it's my first choice but it's no longer what I want to do.

My question is: If I was to accept the offer for Science in UCD would I be able to transfer internally to Law in UCD? And if so, is it possible to transfer from UCD Law to Trinity Law at the end of first year (financial reasons)? Or will I just have to take a year out and reapply?

I have already called the CAO, they can't help. I've called the college also but I couldn't get through. Any help is much appreciated :)

To be honest, I'd say it's extremely difficult to even get the internal transfer as law is such a popular subject. There are only a set out amount of places on each course, and since UCD Law usually fills up with students who achieve very high points, it shows it's popularity. The only way to get the transfer is if there are free spaces, and even at that, you'd nearly have to be in a similar department to Law to transfer into it.

Advertisement