Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord looking for mattress cleaning advice.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Merch wrote: »
    I'm not trying to demand proof, but I'd like to see if thats written down somewhere to see what the differences are, do you have a link to something that details it? Its out of interest.

I'm really sorry, but I don't. I just remember this being the way when I used to be renting flats, and have heard people saying more recently than that that they can't get an unfurnished place because landlords don't want to let unfurnished, because tenants have greater rights. It may, of course, be a legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Not sure why you wouldn't possibly want a better quality maybe cleaner mattress (at least you know who was in the bed) :)

I wasn't including the bed and soft furnishings in furniture. Also have my own TV, kettle, toaster etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

I'm really sorry, but I don't. I just remember this being the way when I used to be renting flats, and have heard people saying more recently than that that they can't get an unfurnished place because landlords don't want to let unfurnished, because tenants have greater rights. It may, of course, be a legend.

It is a legend. Apart from a few older lettings from the time of rent control, all lettings are governed by the Residential Tenancies Act. There is no distinction between furnished and unfurnished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Not a bother,
    I wasn't including the bed and soft furnishings in furniture. Also have my own TV, kettle, toaster etc.

and the mattress??
    I'd prefer to use my own, looking back at the places I rented
    I am under the impression on the continent its all empty, bring your own stuff, paint it how you want and then leave it a blank coat of white when ur done, that also might be part legend or only part true?
    that way you can have the best stuff you want/can afford, its clean and its all your own responsibility to look after, repair,replace etc seems the more sensible route to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

KAYFOAM LTD make a mattress with a zip off cover which is ideal for the rental market its called a SHAW mattress .
    I would also remind people who recomend a certain retailer selling mostly imported beds maybe they should support Irish jobs for a change HOMElEE BEDS in GALWAY and KAYFOAM Ltd in Kilcullen both make beds every bit as good as those sourced from ENGLAND.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Wow, urine on mattress and thinking of getting it cleaned. Yuck. I doubt my landlord is this bad but i'm gonna inspect my mattress next time i get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭peter_dublin

Leading on from this and i'm unsure if this should be a seperate thread. Do people then think it is acceptable for the/a landlord to charge the tenent the complete price of a new mattress should they stain (urine) the old one. As an example in my own place the mattress 100% has a urine stain from when a newborn left down on it let rip.

I be interested in peoples views as everyone is of the opinion that a stained mattress is to be replaced, but do people think it acceptable then for the landlord to charge the tenants the cost of a new mattress as they stained the old one. I wonder how PTRB would view it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Leading on from this and i'm unsure if this should be a seperate thread. Do people then think it is acceptable for the/a landlord to charge the tenent the complete price of a new mattress should they stain (urine) the old one. As an example in my own place the mattress 100% has a urine stain from when a newborn left down on it let rip.

I be interested in peoples views as everyone is of the opinion that a stained mattress is to be replaced, but do people think it acceptable then for the landlord to charge the tenants the cost of a new mattress as they stained the old one. I wonder how PTRB would view it.

Of course its not acceptable, are you serious?
    Why wasnt there a mattress cover on it?
    Its the landlords responsibility to ensure there is a waterproof mattress cover on it. If there wasnt then thats not the tenants fault or problem.

Its the landlords responsibility to ensure there is a waterproof mattress cover on it. If there wasnt then thats not the tenants fault or problem.

:-) This is the part I love you see, perhaps there should be plastic lined covers on the sofas aswell and if not it's the landlords problem if it gets stained, in this case you are now stating that landlords should fit plastic backed mattress protectors to resolve tenents of a duty of care.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

mikemac1 wrote: »
    People used to queue for flats? Where?

Dublin and Galway a decade ago

Been there, done that

More last week of August and thousands of students looking for a gaff

Bad times :(

And you very rarely got your deposit back. No PRTB, only recourse was to write to the Herald. Bad times indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I just remember this being the way when I used to be renting flats, and have heard people saying more recently than that that they can't get an unfurnished place because landlords don't want to let unfurnished, because tenants have greater rights. It may, of course, be a legend.
    It is a legend. Apart from a few older lettings from the time of rent control, all lettings are governed by the Residential Tenancies Act. There is no distinction between furnished and unfurnished.

It used to be the case, prior to recent laws, that tenants in an unfurnished flat had greater rights and were more difficult to dislodge, than those in furnished flats. This led to most flats being provided furnished in the 70s and 80s and until the present. The distinction has however been abolished, but lives on in folk memory.

Besides, how do you always know what size bed will be provided? You could end up with a double mattress which is too small for a king-sized base, or vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Besides, how do you always know what size bed will be provided? You could end up with a double mattress which is too small for a king-sized base, or vice versa.

In fairness most landlords will put in double beds, they don't make the room look smaller and they're cheaper as well.

One thing I did when I was recently letting my house was leave all the packaging on the new mattresses on the beds. It wasn't exactly professional looking in the photos but it got the message across and the phone didn't stop ringing. House was let within a day of going on daft and there was plenty of other houses to let in the area.

:-) This is the part I love you see, perhaps there should be plastic lined covers on the sofas aswell and if not it's the landlords problem if it gets stained, in this case you are now stating that landlords should fit plastic backed mattress protectors to resolve tenents of a duty of care.

It would seem to be fairly common sense that a mattress is far more likely to be subject to bodily fluids than a couch. Even just sweating in sleep is going to impact a mattress in a way a couch wont be impacted. Couch cushion covers are usually removable and washable also, but mattresses are not made that way.

Of course there is going to be some wear and tear along the way but to suggest that a mattress that is stained with urine is acceptable to offer in a rental as the OP has, is a disgusting attitude and its no wonder people prefer to buy than rent.

It would seem that an easy solution is to use mattress covers, however if you somehow feel that this resolves tenants of a duty of care - then perhaps you shouldnt be in the landlord business?

I dont think there is any legal obligation for a landlord to provide mattress covers but it makes sense, I did the rent a room scheme many years ago and even though I supplied mattress protectors and asked for them to be used some people often did not even put on bed sheets or pillow cases!
    edit, these people would make a point of using their own duvet (understandable) but then take off the bedding (washed and ironed I provided) and use nothing to cover the mattress??
    I can see how it would make sense from the landlords point of view for a relatively small price to provide mattress protectors to keep the mattress clean, but there is no way they know if they are being used.

I dont think there is any legal obligation for a landlord to provide mattress covers but it makes sense, I did the rent a room scheme many years ago and even though I supplied mattress protectors and asked for them to be used some people often did not even put on bed sheets or pillow cases!

I can see how it would make sense from the landlords point of view for a relatively small price to provide mattress protectors to keep the mattress clean, but there is no way they know if they are being used.

Exactly and this is the point, if people are so particular about mattresses and in fairness it is not only Urine which stains a mattress and as such not all stains result from it but you cannot know what caused the stain. I've personally have never seen a matress heavily stained by sweat. My point simply is that is people are so particular about mattresses being stained (not only by urine) then it has to be accepted that the people who cause the staining are held to account. You honestly cannot expect a landlord to replace a mattress every tenency esp if they just last a year, its often suggested her that that should be the case but then on the other hand people also don't want a "cheap" mattress. Can't have you cake and eat it. Urinating on a mattess is not normal wear and tear.

For the note my rental has a two year old £1100 sterling mattress, should I replace this if the tenents urinate or otherwise damage it. Not a chance I will, it comming out of their pocket.

Exactly and this is the point, if people are so particular about mattresses and I in fairness it is not only Urine which stains a mattress and as such not all stains result from it but you cannot know what caused the stain. I've personally have never seen a matress heavily stained by sweat. My point simply is that is people are so particular about mattresses being stained (not only by urine) then it has to be accepted that the people who cause the staining are held to account. You honestly cannot expect a landlord to replace a mattress every tenency esp if they just last a year, its often suggested her that that should be the case but then on the other hand people also don't want a "cheap" mattress. Can't have you cake and eat it. Urinating on a mattess is not normal wear and tear.

I agree, a mattress should last 5-8 years depending on the quality in my opinion, but new tenants are less likely to want to sleep on something someone else has used (which is understandable). Its unreasonable to replace one too soon or to be able to detect damage or certain staining, and if something is damaged then really it makes it less useable,
    so I think tenants should provide their own mattress, I know I would want to, that way they know what is on it (them) and they get the quality they are willing to pay.
    I do think in a lot of cases when people dont own something (ie payed for it) then they take less care of it, but thats with anything
    Personally I think people should provide their own furniture and appliances but that is unlikely to happen here, a lot of people are quite happy to have the furniture provided and dont want the hassle of obtaining it/transporting or assembling it/or paying for it.

If the situation I heard of on the continent is common, then it sounds like the better option to me.

Exactly and this is the point, if people are so particular about mattresses and in fairness it is not only Urine which stains a mattress and as such not all stains result from it but you cannot know what caused the stain. I've personally have never seen a matress heavily stained by sweat. My point simply is that is people are so particular about mattresses being stained (not only by urine) then it has to be accepted that the people who cause the staining are held to account. You honestly cannot expect a landlord to replace a mattress every tenency esp if they just last a year, its often suggested her that that should be the case but then on the other hand people also don't want a "cheap" mattress. Can't have you cake and eat it. Urinating on a mattess is not normal wear and tear.

For the note my rental has a two year old £1100 sterling mattress, should I replace this if the tenents urinate or otherwise damage it. Not a chance I will, it comming out of their pocket.

But there wouldnt be any staining if there was a mattress cover used in the first place. If you put on a mattress cover and tell the tenant that staining is going to cost them, then fair enough. But you cannot say nothing, not have a mattress cover and then ask for recompense. Urinating on a mattress is not normal wear and tear, but the OP is talking about a 5 year old mattress, with known urine stains - is this acceptable to rent to someone? No way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,949 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Unless there are children involved, why is there urine on the mattress? :confused:

And why would the first thing you think be to clean it/hide it and not replace it?

If they are provided and not used then it is totally acceptable to charge the tenant for staining.

• Advertisement

dulpit wrote: »
    Unless there are children involved, why is there urine on the mattress? :confused:

Sometimes adults urinate in their sleep through illness or drunkeness.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,949 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Coming out of the previous tenant's pocket though, correct? Not the new tenant who had nothing to do with the mess?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Sometimes adults urinate in their sleep through illness or drunkeness.

Or for weird sex.

Zamboni wrote: »
    Or for weird sex.

True. I was thinking of 'accidents' as opposed to deliberate urination (In which case youd certainly hope they would endeavour to protect the soft furnishings!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Go to Bargaintown. Prob around €140 for a new double mattress.

Swampy wrote: »
    Go to Bargaintown. Prob around €140 for a new double mattress.

who? the landlord or the tenant?
    Im sure you can get a double for less than that, but my back wouldnt tolerate it too long and a mattress of that quality definitely wont last.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭grange mac

No way id sleep on a piss stained mattress...should hav a mattress protecter on it but no need to change it every time new tennant just when they make **** of it, deduct from deposit when leaving and tell them to take their lovely stained matress with them as it is now theirs to enjoy....

dulpit wrote: »
    Coming out of the previous tenant's pocket though, correct? Not the new tenant who had nothing to do with the mess?

Of course, it would have nothing to do with the new tenent at all.

But there wouldnt be any staining if there was a mattress cover used in the first place. If you put on a mattress cover and tell the tenant that staining is going to cost them, then fair enough. But you cannot say nothing, not have a mattress cover and then ask for recompense. Urinating on a mattress is not normal wear and tear, but the OP is talking about a 5 year old mattress, with known urine stains - is this acceptable to rent to someone? No way.

No this is not and as I said the tenents responsible should have been held to account, for the OP it is too late at this stage, my point was simply about what people actually percieve to be acceptable with respect to mattresses. While I always fit a cotton mattress protector I'm not sure a plastic backed one would make for a comftable sleep and I honestly think it is up to tenents to ensure items such as are maintained. If your child is a bed wetter you should know this and take action, in addition if they are feeling unwell again it is their responsibility to ensure permanent damage is not caused due to this.

All possible causes aside is it is not my responsibility to police mattresses to ensure tenents don't stain them, I fitted a Latex topped mattress which is lovely to sleep on, stick a plastic backed sheet between you and the latex and you've created a sweat box as that is the benifit of Latex over memory foam, in my case this is why there is only a cotton mattress protector. You want to get freaking with the wee, no problem, just make sure you don't stain the mattress or i'm charging :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

who? the landlord or the tenant?
    Im sure you can get a double for less than that, but my back wouldnt tolerate it too long and a mattress of that quality definitely wont last.

Landlord. Keep it cheap so you can replace it regularly when necessary. Any decent landlord would not expect a tenant to use something they would not be comfortable with themselves.

Advertisement