Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sex Offender in Arbour Hill goes to court over Kosher food & onions.

• 16-08-2012 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

As reported in the Irish Independent today Ivan Peter Gan (48), aka Peter Ivan Dunne, claims that he is not being provided with kosher food at Arbour Hill prison in Dublin in accordance with his Jewish faith.
    He wants to go to the High Court with this , saying they are not supplying his 'dietary needs'.

"Gan is currently serving a five-year jail term in Arbour Hill after he was convicted in Kilkenny Circuit Criminal Court of having sex with a mentally impaired woman.
    The offence happened in Kilkenny in 2001, when the Englishman was working in the city."

He fled to England but was extradited to Ireland in 2009.

"Opposing his extradition on human rights grounds, he claimed to an English court that the Irish prison authorities would not provide him with food free from onions, which he is allergic to.
    He further claimed that he would not be provided with kosher food and was at risk from republicans. However, his case was dismissed by the English courts."

Apparantly the Judge Justice Paul McDermott said he raised 'significant questions', and put hthe case back till October.

Onions! Demanding special Kosher food?

Personally I think because of his despicable crime and then fleeing the country he has some neck on him to be asking for special treatment.

Comments

well if he's allergic to onions i think that's reasonable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

You can't expect him to eat food that is essentially poisonous to him just because he's in prison. I think they have a duty to provide him with food he's not allergic to.

On the kosher front, I don't know, I presume his religion also forbids being a sex offender and he was OK ignoring that rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I don't think dog food has onions in it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Newaglish wrote: »
    You can't expect him to eat food that is essentially poisonous to him just because he's in prison. I think they have a duty to provide him with food he's not allergic to.

On the kosher front, I don't know, I presume his religion also forbids being a sex offender and he was OK ignoring that rule.

"A la Carte" religion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

No onions is fair enough. On the other hand there is now a place for all that imported garlic.... Yummy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

You can't expect him to eat food that is essentially poisonous.

Yeah, Jesus, I hope the poor sex offender doesn't get poisoned. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Provide him with onion free food, he might be a scumbag but he's allergic to them. I'd love to see the judge say "What is your religions stance on sexual abuse" in relation to his kosher appeal. He forfeited his right to kosher when committed the crime as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Is he allergic to bread and cheese?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

He raped a mentally impaired woman?

Shove a porkchop down the pricks throat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

CHAIN GANG THEM ALL, GET THEM WORKINGGG:mad:

Get them Splitting rocks or picking up the rubbish in the canals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

He is a convert to the Jewish faith, for 'several years' according to the Examiner.
    I agree all prisoners have a right to eat of course, maybe its the crime he committed has me having no compassion for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I think all the other prisoners should wear onions around their necks just like the French ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Is he allergic to a noose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I think they have a duty to provide him with food he's not allergic to.
    I can picture all the boys in the joy now.

"I'm alleeeeerrgick to de porridge"
    "and de cornflakes"
    "this can go on all day, I need a fry up, extra bacon"

and as for religion.
    "I'm a Flying Spaghetti Monster worshipper -I need to be let out at weekends, and can only eat filet mignon steaks for dinner"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Does he only take circumcised too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Imagine being allergic to onions? Nightmare. Onions make everything tastier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭MarkHitide

His special dietary requirements sound suspiciously convenient. I'm sure almost every dinner served in an Irish prison would have either onions or pork product in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Porridge & water so.
    Fcuk him making demands for kosher food, it's a prison not a fcuking hotel.
    And wasting money bringing this to the high court? There's families with disabled children that can't get funding for proper resources & help.
    And the irony is that this prick, especially given his crime, now has the ear of a high court judge & the media to bring his "plight" to light.
    This story has really pissed me off.

MarkHitide wrote: »
    His special dietary requirements sound suspiciously convenient. I'm sure almost every dinner served in an Irish prison would have either onions or pork product in them.

One of the Sunday papers published one of the prisons 28 day menu. They get four options for lunch and another four for dinner. The chefs(mostly prisoners too)are FETAC qualified, so the grub wouldn't be too bad at all.

IrishAm wrote: »
    One of the Sunday papers published one of the prisons 28 day menu. They get four options for lunch and another four for dinner. The chefs(mostly prisoners too)are FETAC qualified, so the grub wouldn't be too bad at all.

It's the gravies and sauces that would almost certainly contain the onion, and the poor fiend can't be expected to eat his dinner dry-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭p to the e

Hmmmm sounds like the prison staff need a solution to this predicament. One great big Final Solution. Hmmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

They should give the fcuker nothing but onions

See how he likes them apples

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

as someone who hates the taste and texture of onions [though wont claim its an allergy!] they are in a hell of a lot of stuff,honestly cannot see how he has managed to escape them up till now if he really is allergic.
    has he actualy been tested and they confirmed it?

he doesnt like the food? they shoud get him prescribed ensure plus liquid; one small bottle of this is equal to a meal and he coud have one in place of each physical meal.
    its bursting with nutrition so he cant complain it isnt a balanced diet,but all the flavours taste like vomit so he woud probably say he is allergic to that to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

For the record Judaism says the punishment for rape is that he should be forced to marry his victim (Deut 22:19) but it isn't exactly forbidden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

You all do realise that feeding someone something they're allergic to is torture. Not effectively torture, but actual torture. No-one should have to endure that.

And saying, "Ah sure, everyone in there will be allergic to cornflakes, etc." doesn't mean much. There are doctors in prisons, it's fairly straightforward to do an alergy test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

For the record Judaism says the punishment for rape is that he should be forced to marry his victim (Deut 22:19) but it isn't exactly forbidden.

Well that's kind of depressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

it didnt say he raped her, is just having sex with a mentally impaired person considered rape?

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Real Life wrote: »

it didnt say he raped her, is just having sex with a mentally impaired person considered rape?
    Well if they have the mental capacity of a ten year old child then it is in my book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Considering he's in prison for it, one can only assume that the woman was not in a position to give consent and therefor it is rape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

YES if victim cannot give informed consent due to mental incapacitation, then of course it is rape!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I just don't see how this is a problem. Prison is a holiday in Ireland.
    TBH it would be harder to keep Kosher and onions out of your food when your on the dole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

With onions.

Lyaiera wrote: »
    You all do realise that feeding someone something they're allergic to is torture. Not effectively torture, but actual torture. No-one should have to endure that.

And saying, "Ah sure, everyone in there will be allergic to cornflakes, etc." doesn't mean much. There are doctors in prisons, it's fairly straightforward to do an alergy test.

Force feeding him any food would be torture. That is simply not the case here, he is claiming his dietary needs are not being met.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Real Life wrote:

So having sex with a mentally impaired person okay with you?

Cool. At least we know where you stand.

Force feeding him any food would be torture. That is simply not the case here, he is claiming his dietary needs sure not being met.

Failure to provide adequate food for a prisoner's dietary needs is torture. There's no two ways about that.

• Advertisement

Failure to provide adequate food for a prisoner's dietary needs is torture. There's no two ways about that.

He didnt give a **** about his victims needs .

Prisoners get cereal, toast, fruit, tea and coffee for breakfast. They get a cooked breakfast on Sundays. For lunch and dinner they get a choice of four meals. One of the papers recently published a 28 day menu from one of our prisons. I cant find the article right now, but the menu was similar enough to this one from a British prison; http://www.emeraldinsight.com/content_images/fig/0701090303001.png

Plenty of options that meet the chaps requirements.

'Falling a Bit Short in their Duty of Care' maybe-

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    He didnt give a **** about his victims needs .

Yes. But I like to think that society in general holds itself to a higher standard than that of a rapist.

An outrageous opinion, but then again I am a bleeding heart liberal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Prisoners get cereal, toast, fruit, tea and coffee for breakfast. They get a cooked breakfast on Sundays. For lunch and dinner they get a choice of four meals. One of the papers recently published a 28 day menu from one of our prisons. I cant find the article right now, but the menu was similar enough to this one from a British prison; http://www.emeraldinsight.com/content_images/fig/0701090303001.png

There seems to be plenty of halal options, is kosher much more difficult to comply with?

If he is genuinely allergic to onions than obviously he shouldn't be given food with them in it, but taking into consideration the amount of posters here who like the idea of sex offenders getting raped in prison I doubt his allergy will generate too much sympathy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Jester252 wrote: »
    ... Prison is a holiday in Ireland...
    Really? How long were you in for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

zef wrote: »
    He is a convert to the Jewish faith, for 'several years' according to the Examiner.

Did he convert while in prison? Because I've heard of prisoners being recommended to convert, because the kosher option is likely to be of higher quality than the mainstream option (because they can use any old crap for that).

Yes. But I like to think that society in general holds itself to a higher standard than that of a rapist.

I like to think that society has already demonstrated that it does, in this case.

sex cases are the lowest of the low so i would really hope that the rest of society holds itself to a higher standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

With all due respect, that's bollocks. I work in a well known Dublin prison and this is what they get.

Breakfast 8:20am: Cornflakes/Rice Krispies/Weetabix/Tea/Milk. There is NO cooked meal for breakfast on a sunday or ever, with the exception of Christmas morning. They dont get served porridge either.

Dinner 12noon : No choice of four meals. Its one set dish. Main meal of the day. An example would be chicken,mashed potaoes,gravy and veg. The odd time they get a bit of ice cream or a banana/pear/apple as dessert. Again Tea and Milk are served. Bread and butter is also available

Tea 4pm: Light meal. Again, no choices. Maybe a tuna salad or a small meat pie with peas. Tea and Milk served again.

Dietary requirements are met always e.g. Vegetarian meals.

Any treats such as cakes/crisps/bars etc can be purchased from the prison tuck shop out of their personal accounts.

Most food allergies mysteriously disappear when you're hungry enough.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Don't given him Kosher. Tough ****, it isnt on the menu in Prison. Its a sacrifice you choose to make by committing your crime. But if he is allergic to onions surely its not that hard to avoid giving him them. I can understand that but not the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

He should be made eat nothing but Onions - ffs he's a criminal, he gave away his rights to be a human when he decided to act like a monster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Yakult wrote: »
    Don't given him Kosher. Tough ****, it isnt on the menu in Prison. Its a sacrifice you choose to make by committing your crime. But if he is allergic to onions surely its not that hard to avoid giving him them. I can understand that but not the rest.
    But why allow some allowances for religion at all if the state is going to pick and choose which are convenient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

Scruffles wrote: »
    as someone who hates the taste and texture of onions [though wont claim its an allergy!] they are in a hell of a lot of stuff,honestly cannot see how he has managed to escape them up till now if he really is allergic.
    has he actualy been tested and they confirmed it?

he doesnt like the food? they shoud get him prescribed ensure plus liquid; one small bottle of this is equal to a meal and he coud have one in place of each physical meal.
    its bursting with nutrition so he cant complain it isnt a balanced diet,but all the flavours taste like vomit so he woud probably say he is allergic to that to.

Oh you know about ensures, do you have CF?

• Advertisement
Advertisement