Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat Leaving Cert for '13

• 16-08-2012 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hey everyone..

Well done to all those who got their results yesterday :)

I sat the LC in 2011 but I hate my course so I am considering repeating the Leaving Cert this year to obtain points for my first choice.

Have 400pts, Aiming for 480+

I would sit English, Biology, Agricultural Science again. Dropping History(due to changes since), French.

Not sure about dropping Art. My grade was a C1 in 2011.. But I need B's and A's

I am looking for a bit of information on taking Business, Geography, Home Ec - From scratch! What's involved, the workload, difficulties etc

Thanks guys - Really appreciate it:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭HeaneyBabe

Wouldn't recommend geography in the space of a year, there is already too much coursework, never mind the project.

What about economics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

CatEyed92 wrote: »
    Hey everyone..

Well done to all those who got their results yesterday :)

I sat the LC in 2011 but I hate my course so I am considering repeating the Leaving Cert this year to obtain points for my first choice.

Have 400pts, Aiming for 480+

I would sit English, Biology, Agricultural Science again. Dropping History(due to changes since), French.

Not sure about dropping Art. My grade was a C1 in 2011.. But I need B's and A's

I am looking for a bit of information on taking Business, Geography, Home Ec - From scratch! What's involved, the workload, difficulties etc

Thanks guys - Really appreciate it:)

Business - very hard to get a high B or an A. You really have to know the book inside out.

Geography - i took it up in my repeat year and got a B1 and that was considering it was a challenging paper, so i would highly recommend it! Its a huge course btw.

Sorry dont do home ec

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭CatEyed92

HeaneyBabe wrote: »
    Wouldn't recommend geography in the space of a year, there is already too much coursework, never mind the project.

What about economics?

Not sure I have the mind for economics haha:D I like how geo seems to be all facts etc and Ive always regretted not taking it!

Is the workload that bad?

Not sure I have the mind for economics haha:D I like how geo seems to be all facts etc and Ive always regretted not taking it!

it is not that bad, most of my class took it up in one year and the grades were very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭amyleaving

Hey i don't know anything about geography but i know many of the people i know doing it really seemed to like it.
    Business is a tricky one, many people used to say on the forums here that it is an easier subject compared to others and i would disagree , you basically sit and learn the book, there is little else so if you can learn big chunks of info then it may be for you.I did fairly bad in the mocks in business but i went up from a d1 to a b1 in the real thing, where as i heard maybe drop from a b in the mocks to a d in the real thing, it depends on the person!
    I loved home ec since junior cert it was my favourite subject , i would always get A's in tests and i got an A in the mock , in the real thing i went down to a b3 i was shocked!i always thought it was easier but maybe home ec isn't so easy after all.
    In regards to marking schemes the business one is very clear and helpful.
    I would just think about where your interests lie. Nutrition/food/some science for home ec, world business, selling products, some accounting,insurance in business or geography, nature ,population,etc

• Advertisement

Economics is pretty easy in my opinion and totally doable in a year, but maybe I'm biased haha.

In my opinion, geog has an enormous work load. If you're willing to spend a lot of time on it, then it could be doable, but it will be hard. Even physically doing the exam is stressful, you have to do 3 longish questions which each have an A B and C part, each one of these a b and c parts requiring you to write at least 1 a4 page to have a chance of doing well (because you have to get your Srps in).. then, 1 really long question which ideally should be about 3 or 4 a4 pages and you have short questions, all in the space of 2 hours 50 mins.. so it is hard, very hard.

If you like it though, then give it a shot. I would recommend economics though for an easier choice.

Hmm everything seems to have pro's and con's :)

I did history at third level but I hate it now and in the LC I never went over a C1 :( plus, the case study has changed thus giving the Irish topic 2 sections to work on..
    Not sure if it's ideal anymore..

Any Home Ec people out there?

Business seems ok in the sense that it doesn't seem to be all essays?

Geography.. I did well in JC but that was YONKS AGOOOO :D

Geography.. I did well in JC but that was YONKS AGOOOO :D

so did I, then got a C2 yesterday :( but our exam was really hard and i had THE WORST TEACHER EVER.

Economics is pretty easy in my opinion and totally doable in a year, but maybe I'm biased haha.

In my opinion, geog has an enormous work load. If you're willing to spend a lot of time on it, then it could be doable, but it will be hard. Even physically doing the exam is stressful, you have to do 3 longish questions which each have an A B and C part, each one of these a b and c parts requiring you to write at least 1 a4 page to have a chance of doing well (because you have to get your Srps in).. then, 1 really long question which ideally should be about 3 or 4 a4 pages and you have short questions, all in the space of 2 hours 50 mins.. so it is hard, very hard.

If you like it though, then give it a shot. I would recommend economics though for an easier choice.

What is involved in Economics? Just had a peek at the 2012 paper. Look's quite scary :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I'd imagine business is doable in a year, it's not the most interesting subject but there aren't any complicated aspects to it so it's basically a case of learning things off, if you don't mind that. The course might seem a bit long at first, but there's a lot of repetition and you can cut it down a bit - I left out unit 7 and got an A2 (though obviously you need to know the other six units really well in that case)

• Advertisement

I certainly agree, with you, i hope im not giving the op the impression geography is easy, it was a real struggle to get it done in one year but possible to get a really good grade. Timing is vital for geography.

The short questions are worth around 16% and are relatively easy. The part A's are easy, reading charts etc.

Its divided into

Phyiscal: rocks, landforms, volcanoes, etc

Regional: you study culture in different areas, you compare the west of ireland to the east, paris, mezziogorno, india

Human/economic elective: depends which one your teacher does, human involves population, problems in world cities, maps, etc

The option ( the big long essay)

- you do three aspects or paragraphs
    - 8 srps per paragraph
    - layout is importance and marks go for coherence(are you on the point)
    - Most do geoecology ( this is soils + a biome ( dessert or tropical rainforest)

The project
    - takes alot of work but handy to get marks in

What is involved in Economics? Just had a peek at the 2012 paper. Look's quite scary :o

Economics is split into 2 sections, Micro and Macro.

Macro is economics in relation to the world today, for example why the government cut jobs, the government's aims for the country, why the unemployment rate is so high, what is stopping jobs being available.. so basically it's really interesting because we're hearing about it in the news at the moment and a lot of it is common knowledge. There is a lesser amount of learning and understanding involved in the macro section.

Micro is all about understanding. For example, why do consumers act the way they do, why demand goes up when prices go down, what causes changes in prices.. and to be honest this part will be the tricky part, but it is doable. This section is hard to explain, but it will require understanding it. It's all about demand and supply, elasticity and different laws.. but it is interesting too.

It is such a short course in my opinion, we were finished the course in february of 6th year after taking our time.

I always got A's through 5th and 6th year, with the occasional B.. but I got a C1 in the LC yesterday and have no idea what happened cause I thought I did well.. (getting it checked). I am NOT a logical thinker and definitely thought that I didn't have the brains for economics, but it is very easy once explained properly.

I preferred economics over geography, but I think geography's work load and the amount of study that is needed is the reason why I prefer economics. But it is a tough decision haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

Business is alright. It's not a difficult subject but there is a lot to learn. I completely abandoned Unit 1 for the LC and still managed an A1. Unit 1 for me was just far too much information to try and memorize. But I know people who loved Unit 1. It's all down to the person but it is definitely possible to leave stuff out in Business. But, do make sure you know you ABQ units inside out. They're vital!

Boeing777 wrote: »
    Business is alright. It's not a difficult subject but there is a lot to learn. I completely abandoned Unit 1 for the LC and still managed an A1. Unit 1 for me was just far too much information to try and memorize. But I know people who loved Unit 1. It's all down to the person but it is definitely possible to leave stuff out in Business. But, do make sure you know you ABQ units inside out. They're vital!

Jesus! Any tips for getting a B1 for Business?;)

Jesus! Any tips for getting a B1 for Business?;)

- write in bullet points
    - learn the book exactly
    - no waffle or making stuff up
    - you can leave out a unit i would suggest unit 1 next year as you cant leave out unit 7 as its an abq unit.
    - know your abq units inside out

Sunny!! wrote: »
    - write in bullet points
    - learn the book exactly
    - no waffle or making stuff up
    - you can leave out a unit i would suggest unit 1 next year as you cant leave out unit 7 as its an abq unit.
    - know your abq units inside out

Thank you :)

What is ABQ?

Thank you :)

What is ABQ?

-applied business question
    - its a typical business in an everyday situation
    - its a comprehension about the business
    - you apply what your learn in you abq units (5,6 and 7 next year) to the comprehension and answer questions
    - quoting from the text is vital

That's great advice guys :)

Any opinions on taking Chemistry from scratch under a year? Bad idea or...?

I think, with the cooking project in home ec etc it might be ruled out.. :confused:

Thoughts on chemistry etc?

I think, with the cooking project in home ec etc it might be ruled out.. :confused:

it depends on the grade you want in chemistry. What grade do you want and what course you want to do?. I would say avoid chemistry.

it depends on the grade you want in chemistry. What grade do you want and what course you want to do?. I would say avoid chemistry.

I'd probably be looking for B3 and up.
    I want to do Childrens and General Nursing (500).
    I just thought Chemistry = NO projects :p

Guessing it's quite tough! :confused:

• Advertisement

I'd probably be looking for B3 and up.
    I want to do Childrens and General Nursing (500).
    I just thought Chemistry = NO projects :p

Guessing it's quite tough! :confused:

I'll be totally honest i'd do another subject it be alot less hassle and take alot of effort in one year.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

It's an odd one Chemistry :) I only got the subject this year after doing badly in it in 5th year but I think if you are exam focused it's a nice paper to sit in a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Gallad123

Home ec has a variety of topics which can be asked, making it harder to predict. In the end your going to have to learn off everything except for topics which came up last year and to do that and the project is asking alot especially if your doing geography aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DarOSull

I would recommend Design and Communications Graphics. I picked it up, having not done it for JC. It ended up being my best subject, I got a B1 a few days ago. There's some project work (40%) but if you stick to it and give it time it's hardly any work for the reward you get (points). I'd advise you to look it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mcnm1993

Chemistry can be really tough and you either love it or hate it. I'd definitely recommend phys/chem though especially if you have the option of doing it outside school. It is a much nicer course that you can cover in a year and you don't have to study certain aspects of both subjects that people find difficult. Best of luck with your decision:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Cian_Collins

Whats people overall opinion about repeating ?
    I done it this year and got 270 ..... ya I know **** right :P but for me I was just so happy I passed everything :D as I found the whole Leaving cert year quite hard and found the study hard. My 1st choice was Public Administration in UL it was 330 I new I wouldnt get it but was hoping i could srap through with the Hear scheme but appartently you only get the hear scheme only if you get 300 points and over so sadly I aint getting me 1st choi and its the only coarse Ive me heart set on ..
    Im not sure about my other choices .... so I am considering repeating Im going to be 19 in december and dont like the fact of that but if it means I go into a coarse I like instead of going into a coarse I dont like and ending up unhappy and dropping out Id rather repeat .:rolleyes:...........
    So any advise on repeating? Is it worth it, The thought of going back to all the books agn is horrible ... I donno Would I be able to doagain so thinking maybe I should take some caorse I get offered that is if i get an offer:confused:

Hey guys :)

I'm making my subject choices for next week and I was thinking of taking two new subjects - Business and Geography new?

Is this wise? Anyone out there having done the two together?

It's a awful situation but I have to think about points. History didn't get me past a C - alot of effort for very little in return I found in my last LC :(

Thanks guys

I'm making my subject choices for next week and I was thinking of taking two new subjects - Business and Geography new?

It's a awful situation but I have to think about points. History didn't get me past a C - alot of effort for very little in return I found in my last LC :(

Thanks guys

I took up geography in a year and got a B1, so i thought it was good return. I do business(didnt take it up in a year) it really depends on what grade you need in it. An A grade could be tricky in a year.

I personally find it boring and its all wrote learning so be prepared!

any questions about the subjects feel free to ask:)

I took up geography in a year and got a B1, so i thought it was good return. I do business(didnt take it up in a year) it really depends on what grade you need in it. An A grade could be tricky in a year.

I personally find it boring and its all wrote learning so be prepared!

any questions about the subjects feel free to ask:)

That would be the grade I would need! :)

How, under a year, did you manage that? Just learn as the homework/study was given or...?

And, how much percent is the project worth and is it hard to get a good mark?

Thank you Sunny :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Thanks guys
    I didn't repeat but I did these two, so I'll throw in my thoughts :)
    First of all to answer your subsequent post, the geography project is worth 20% and it's easy if you follow a teacher's instructions.

I found business extremely boring at times, very interesting at others, so it's hard to do well if you're not interested. With the marking scheme being so picky it's hard to do very well imo. The ABQ section is also a little more than rote-learning - not much more, but still.

I got an A2 in geography and a B3 in business, if that puts any perspective on it. I think a lot of that was down to my teacher's lax approach to business and never doing exam questions (I wasn't as well-prepared on exam day as I could have been as a result). In geography my teacher covered the entire syllabus but the exam was very difficult, I found myself making things up and hoping they'd fit the question, really...they did, as my result shows, but it was an awful wait to find out! :pac:

There's a lot in geography and it's not as predictable as it once was, meaning you have to cover the obscure bits. Business is different. Sometimes you have to know the stuff (e.g. types of companies) but sometimes you can waffle it...e.g. "how to motivate employees" :P

I think taking up both new might be a bit difficult - I'd advise geography over it, and then economics is meant to be easy if you're not already doing it. :)

Advertisement