Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To all those who voted for Wille O'Dea

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Nwm2

Such a simplistic interpretation that all it does is reveal your lack of objectivity.

A politician's work is not just in the Dail. I'm no Willie O'Dea fan, quite the opposite, but I'm very sure he "works" very long hours. I say this because it seems to be an 'always on' type job.

Also, does he serve the people of Limerick ONLY when he is in the Dail? Hardly.

Also, as a libertarian, I tend to fall on the small government side, so the less these guys meet the better for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

Spook58 wrote: »
    Yet again Wille has one of the worst attendence records. Anyone in a real jobs would have been sacked by now
    "Willie O'Dea, working for you " I don't think so.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/sinn-fein-leader-gerry-adams-missed-one-in-four-dail-days-3201684.html

He's an embarrassment at national level. Should have been a local councillor, getting toilet seats fixed, a hole in an old person's shed fixed sort of stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭TheGimp

He is an abject failure and the epitome of all that is wrong with politics in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

He is more a councillor than politician, he tends to sympathise with every group in the county in order to gain support but does help some communities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

A martyr for parish pump politics.

Goes to very funeral and sends mass cards etc.

**** off willie I dont want a mass card from you. You didnt know there person who died or anyone in the family.

Its all business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

I'm not a supporter of Willie's, but isn't every politician who is not constantly in the public eye doing the same thing????

Unfortunately it's the way that politics works. Every politician is reliant on the votes of the voters in his/her constituency to get elected. If the politician is in the government or on the front bench of the opposition then they stand a good chance of getting a lot of media coverage - they're out there and their actions/inactions are visible to the people. However, if you're not getting the media coverage you need, then you get involved in every local constituency issue you can find so that you stand some chance of getting people to vote for you the next time around.

Alll you need to do is look at the local papers any evening and see the "big" photos of local politicians standing pointing down at a pothole, pointing at graffiti on a wall, pointing at the hole in Mrs Murphy's door through which the rats come in, etc, etc, etc. Attending funerals, sending mass cards, etc is all the same thing. It might be fake, maybe just a gesture, but it's self advertising and whether you like it or not, there are votes in fixing potholes, stopping graffiti, etc. National politicians are elected at a local level and it's parish pump politics and issues that gets voters to vote for you.

Delphi91 wrote: »
    I'm not a supporter of Willie's, but isn't every politician who is not constantly in the public eye doing the same thing????

Unfortunately it's the way that politics works. Every politician is reliant on the votes of the voters in his/her constituency to get elected. If the politician is in the government or on the front bench of the opposition then they stand a good chance of getting a lot of media coverage - they're out there and their actions/inactions are visible to the people. However, if you're not getting the media coverage you need, then you get involved in every local constituency issue you can find so that you stand some chance of getting people to vote for you the next time around.

Alll you need to do is look at the local papers any evening and see the "big" photos of local politicians standing pointing down at a pothole, pointing at graffiti on a wall, pointing at the hole in Mrs Murphy's door through which the rats come in, etc, etc, etc. Attending funerals, sending mass cards, etc is all the same thing. It might be fake, maybe just a gesture, but it's self advertising and whether you like it or not, there are votes in fixing potholes, stopping graffiti, etc. National politicians are elected at a local level and it's parish pump politics and issues that gets voters to vote for you.

Most politicians do something for their area. O Dea's legacy will be he allowed bertie ahern bully him on any number of issues, be it , no investment, shannon losing flight, no jobs.
    He reminded me of blair doing anything to please bush. O dea would do anything to please ahern. How sad a politician can you get.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

liammur wrote: »
    Most politicians do something for their area.
    Unless they're from Limerick. What has the Minister of Finance done for his home city since FG/Lab came to power? He's watched 1000s of jobs go to Dublin, Cork, Galway. Everywhere but Limerick. And Jan O'Sullivan has done even less.
    O Dea's legacy will be he allowed bertie ahern bully him on any number of issues, be it , no investment, shannon losing flight, no jobs.
    He reminded me of blair doing anything to please bush. O dea would do anything to please ahern. How sad a politician can you get.
    Thing is most voters in this country are idiots. How else do you explain the likes of Jacky Healy Rae and Michael Lowry topping the polls? And they're are plenty more like them around the country. The simple truth is that most people will remember O'Dea as a great man who always got their lampost fixed, pothole filled, medical card sorted out, etc.

...The simple truth is that most people will remember O'Dea as a great man who always got their lampost fixed, pothole filled, medical card sorted out, etc.

And that's exactly what it comes down to at election time - that's where the votes are!!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Sully777

If a person stood up in the morning and said in the next General Election -" I am going to stand as a candidate" "I am not going to involve myself in Toilet Seats, facilitating Welfare Fraud for local constituents and writing letters about road marking but I am going to make this Country a better place for all Irish people". I'am afraid they wouldn't stand a chance. As you correctly said Parish Politics.

On O Dea...

I was in the Castletroy Park Hotel in Sept 2004 with a few family members raising money at a black tie event to try and fund equipment for the National Childrens Hospital when some idiot of an MC announced "please be upstanding to welcome the new Minister for Defense" O Dea made a speech about how great he was and yacked on about what it would mean to have a Cabinet Member in Limerick. I approached him after and asked "why the *uck are we here trying to raise money for incubators and facilities for kids with cancer, isn't that the Governments function, are'nt we awash with money in this Cetic Tiger?" He gave his usual muttered response and walked off. I have no time for the man.

• Advertisement

Sully777 wrote: »
    ...I am going to make this Country a better place for all Irish people"...

Which is what their sole concern should be! We elect them to the Dail to help to run the COUNTRY, not to run around organising medical cards, etc.

Unless they're from Limerick. What has the Minister of Finance done for his home city since FG/Lab came to power? He's watched 1000s of jobs go to Dublin, Cork, Galway. Everywhere but Limerick. And Jan O'Sullivan has done even less.

Thing is most voters in this country are idiots. How else do you explain the likes of Jacky Healy Rae and Michael Lowry topping the polls? And they're are plenty more like them around the country. The simple truth is that most people will remember O'Dea as a great man who always got their lampost fixed, pothole filled, medical card sorted out, etc.

Very good points. But, I understand why people have voted for the likes of Lowry/Healy Rae. Lowry for instance has delivered for the people of N Tipp. Would the likes of bertie ahern have put a penny into Tipp ? It's parish pump, but parish pump politics operates greater in Dublin than anywhere else to the detriment of the regions.

O Dea hasn't delivered for Limerick (apart from regeneration) which is a disaster imo.

Unfortunately, it must also be said that Noonan and J O Sullivan are quickly following in his footsteps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Noonan has done some things such as the new ward in the regional and funding for building new schools

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Far be it for me to defend Michael Noonan or Jan O'Sullivan, but their job isn't to bring all the goodies to Limerick. It's to legislate for the whole country.

Now, that said, there's been a few key developments in this region since they took office that will have a massive positive impact on Limerick and the Midwest region (although it will be some years before the impact is felt). These developments are:

1. The seperation of Shannon Airport from the DAA. That is very, very significant, and something that almost everyone in business in Limerick was crying out for for many years.

2. The amalgamation of Limerick city and county councils. Most people underestimate how big an effect this will have on the region because they don't understand just how damaging the current set up is. For the first time since the foundation of the State, Limerick will have a proper local government structure.

3. The purchase of the large site in the city centre (formerly known as the Opera Centre). It remains to be seen what will be done here, but the report is due out at the end of the year. It's the first step towards a true regeneration of Limerick City Centre.

Now, I can't stand FG or Labour, but I do think the developments above are very positive for Limerick and the Midwest. The benefits of these decisions won't be seen for at least 10 years though, but there's no way around that.

O'Dea will have no such legacy.

zulutango wrote: »
    Far be it for me to defend Michael Noonan or Jan O'Sullivan, but their job isn't to bring all the goodies to Limerick. It's to legislate for the whole country.

Now, that said, there's been a few key developments in this region since they took office that will have a massive positive impact on Limerick and the Midwest region (although it will be some years before the impact is felt). These developments are:

1. The seperation of Shannon Airport from the DAA. That is very, very significant, and something that almost everyone in business in Limerick was crying out for for many years.

2. The amalgamation of Limerick city and county councils. Most people underestimate how big an effect this will have on the region because they don't understand just how damaging the current set up is. For the first time since the foundation of the State, Limerick will have a proper local government structure.

3. The purchase of the large site in the city centre (formerly known as the Opera Centre). It remains to be seen what will be done here, but the report is due out at the end of the year. It's the first step towards a true regeneration of Limerick City Centre.

Now, I can't stand FG or Labour, but I do think the developments above are very positive for Limerick and the Midwest. The benefits of these decisions won't be seen for at least 10 years though, but there's no way around that.

That's true, but they should ensure that Limerick gets its fair share. This is where O Dea really left everybody down. I'm not 1 for parish pump politics, but how on earth could carrick on shannon (population 2,500) get more IDA jobs in 13 years under FF than all of Limerick city and county?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I agree that a TDs role should be to legislate, the unfortunate fact is that it doesn't work that way in this country.

While I agree that the changes you mentioned should be good for the Midwest, I think your giving too much credit to the current government.

The plan to seperate Shannon airport was Leo Varadkers and there isn't currently even an actual plan for the airport. It's future is in the hands of 2 different committees (which include DAA board members).

Also the plan to amalgamate the councils came from the Brosnan report which was set up by the previous government. Phil Hogan ran with it only because it would save money in the long run. He's doing the same with North and South Tipp and has plans to do the same for other places like Waterford.

Noonan and O'Sullivan can't really claim personal credit, although they will come the next election if these changes improve things.

Basically I don't have faith in any of our politicians, they're all as bad as each other. I think we need a totally new way of electing TDs to stop the parish pump rubbish. But thats another argument.

I agree that a TDs role should be to legislate, the unfortunate fact is that it doesn't work that way in this country.

While I agree that the changes you mentioned should be good for the Midwest, I think your giving too much credit to the current government.

The plan to seperate Shannon airport was Leo Varadkers and there isn't currently even an actual plan for the airport. It's future is in the hands of 2 different committees (which include DAA board members).

Also the plan to amalgamate the councils came from the Brosnan report which was set up by the previous government. Phil Hogan ran with it only because it would save money in the long run. He's doing the same with North and South Tipp and has plans to do the same for other places like Waterford.

Noonan and O'Sullivan can't really claim personal credit, although they will come the next election if these changes improve things.

Basically I don't have faith in any of our politicians, they're all as bad as each other. I think we need a totally new way of electing TDs to stop the parish pump rubbish. But thats another argument.

Spot on. Here in Limerick, we probably have the worst politicians of all. Local government would need far more power if parish pump politics were to cease, Leitrim is in a position where they may not get 1 TD in to government, so the system needs to ensure that the county isn't neglected.

Maybe I am, but whatever way you cut it the changes came while these two (and O'Donnell) were in government, so you'd have to give them credit over and above the likes of Willie O'Dea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Up and down the Country the Government will always have the dodgy local politicians to reel in the dull and gullible voters on the promise of a few sham rewards.

Lowry wheels n deals and brings the goods to Tipp, the Healy Raes talk the talk and bring roads n roundabouts to the kingdom of Kerry etc etc

- O'Dea is interesting as the only funding he has ever managed to get delivered to Limerick is still sitting in his current account - with the notable exception of the funds withdrawn to fund the local Sinn Fein HQ he paid for in compensation after slandering someone with unfounded pimping allegations, you know, the whole perjury court case and so on - not sure if that was before or after his pub brawl with that poor security guard...... And still never an honest days work done.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

You had a whole cabinet of teachers, lawyers, doctors and so forth in government in 2008 who oversaw the collapse of this state. We had to be bailed out by other people from another nation.

Irish men and women are they been raised the right way? Is our education dumbing down people stopping them from thinking clearly and critically.

• Advertisement

You had a whole cabinet of teachers, lawyers, doctors and so forth in government in 2008 who oversaw the collapse of this state. We had to be bailed out by other people from another nation.

Irish men and women are they been raised the right way? Is our education dumbing down people stopping them from thinking clearly and critically.

The answer to that is no. Irish people are not great at seeing the big picture, and that could be a symptom of the education system which encourages a narrow focus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

The answer to that is no. Irish people are not great at seeing the big picture, and that could be a symptom of the education system which encourages a narrow focus.

Should you have said yes then if you agree our education system might not be as polished as it such be, instead of saying no! I get what your saying its ok.

Should you have said yes then if you agree our education system might not be as polished as it such be, instead of saying no! I get what your saying its ok.

I was answering the first part of your question!

Irish people have NEVER been great at seeing the bigger picture and yes, the education system is certainly to blame. We teach kids to get through an exam, that's all we do. We tell them how to answer questions, we make them learn off answers, etc - whatever it takes to get through the Leaving Cert and into 3rd level.

We never plan for tomorrow. We're always playing catch up. It's the same with the political system in this country. I seriously doubt there's the equivalent of a 5-Year plan in place for this country. We stumble along from decision to decision, often consisting of half-baked ideas which will invariably not get the desired result. And most of these are knee-jerk reactions to situations. Take for example the farce last week concerning the childrens allowance - "Sure they can return it if they don't want it.....".

And when it all goes pear-shaped, what do we do? We set up a tribunal or we hire in a set of consultants to tell us what we did wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭watchingthepols

If memory serves me correctly Willie O'Dea have a very poor attendance record in the Dail last year as well.

Second worst for 2011 I think and keeping up the truency pattern for 2012 it seems..

He seems very busy at the moment acting as if he had nothing to do with the regeneration shambles.

I swear, he actually seems to have convinced himself that he was never a FF government minister.

O'Dea also has the destinction of being the highest collector of political donations in Limerick and trousered around €60,000 in a tax payer funded golden handshake when he was forced to resign as minister for defence.

A nice little earner indeed for Mr O'Dea for what he has turned into a part time job.

odea_lifestyle.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

How many masses does he go to? not that im often in a church but most of the time when I am he's there,well not for the mass,just hovering around the back at the end.

Same at the launch of Limerick Pride,lurking around at the start,posing for photos,said and did nothing,but 'seen'.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

That's true, but they should ensure that Limerick gets its fair share. This is where O Dea really left everybody down. I'm not 1 for parish pump politics, but how on earth could carrick on shannon (population 2,500) get more IDA jobs in 13 years under FF than all of Limerick city and county?
    The government can't tell businesses where to set up though, can they? You might argue that Limerick isn't as bad as it is made out to be, but why would a company take the risk? If they think they will do better in Cork, or Galway, or Carrick-on-Shannon, then that is where they will go and there's sod all the government can do about it. In which case, Limerick people will just have to go where the jobs are, rather than sitting on their arses waiting for the jobs to come them (while blaming the government).

Freiheit wrote: »
    How many masses does he go to? not that im often in a church but most of the time when I am he's there,well not for the mass,just hovering around the back at the end.

Same at the launch of Limerick Pride,lurking around at the start,posing for photos,said and did nothing,but 'seen'.....

It's time we forgot about O Dea. The man had his chance and did nothing. The focus should now be put on Noonan/J O sullivan.....see if they can do anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

The government can't tell businesses where to set up though, can they? You might argue that Limerick isn't as bad as it is made out to be, but why would a company take the risk? If they think they will do better in Cork, or Galway, or Carrick-on-Shannon, then that is where they will go and there's sod all the government can do about it. In which case, Limerick people will just have to go where the jobs are, rather than sitting on their arses waiting for the jobs to come them (while blaming the government).

The Government cant tell people where to set up a business but it can guide thats the IDA's role and use grants etc

I have been saying for a long time now that Limerick is an unemployment blackspot and needs urgent funding which is available from the EU if our halfwit politicians would bother doing anything about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

kilburn wrote: »
    The Government cant tell people where to set up a business but it can guide thats the IDA's role and use grants etc
    Yes, but what if they have been guiding like mad but still can't get the businesses in? Limerick does have the worst reputation - fairly or unfairly - of anywhere in the country.
    kilburn wrote: »
    I have been saying for a long time now that Limerick is an unemployment blackspot and needs urgent funding which is available from the EU if our halfwit politicians would bother doing anything about it.
    If it's available, I'm sure they would have applied for it - why would they not? :confused:

Advertisement