Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Server 2012 Certification

Options
  • 16-08-2012 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering what the story is in relation to Windows Server 2012 certification.

I complete two of the MCSA Exams for Server 2003 (The first exam & and the exchange module). These were being paid for by my company at the time. I moved companies after that and took on a much more intensive job and lost the will for any further studying outside of work hours.

I'm getting to stage now again where I don't want to get stuck in a rut and would like to brush up my skill set. I assume 2012 would be the best set of exams to go for once it becomes available? Or would 2008 be a better option for now?

Also what courses are required to get MCSA certifcation in Server 2012. I've struggled to find clear information on line.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

Easy question to answer re Server 2012 MCSA. This link tells you exactly what you need for MCSA 2012.

re 2008/2012, I would start with 2008 as alot of companies in Ireland tend to be late adopters for OS refreshes, this link explains about the MCSA for 2008. The other good thing about getting the 2008 is that you then only need 1 exam to upgrade to 2012.

I am currently working on the MCSA 2008, having not long started on self study for the first exam (which looks like may be hardest, if book size is anything to go by).

Also, unfortunately your previous exams will not count towards requirements.

best of luck with it all, PM me if you want any more info, have some stuff saved here about the exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

Cheers for that. Super answer.
    I might give 2008 a lash so.

Would you reccomend any particular set of books for it?
    I think the last exams I had the Microsoft Books (Microsoft Press) and found them good.

Tinytony wrote: »
    Cheers for that. Super answer.
    I might give 2008 a lash so.

Would you reccomend any particular set of books for it?
    I think the last exams I had the Microsoft Books (Microsoft Press) and found them good.

I bought the MS Press Certification pack for MCSA 2008 from amazon (link) Currently with 43 Stg discount, plus you get a 15% exam discount voucher with each book.

For all exams I have done I have bought the official MS Press books, and supplemented that with reading on technet as well.

I bought the MS Press Certification pack for MCSA 2008 from amazon (link) Currently with 43 Stg discount, plus you get a 15% exam discount voucher with each book.

For all exams I have done I have bought the official MS Press books, and supplemented that with reading on technet as well.

I've bought those now and will give a look over them. What are the requirements in terms of hardware / software for the labs etc?

Tinytony wrote: »
    I've bought those now and will give a look over them. What are the requirements in terms of hardware / software for the labs etc?

depends on how u wanna do it, if you want to use them on virtual machines then you might want to have a decent machine, otherwise if you have a couple of low spec machines, 1GHz, 1gb ram etc.

I have 3 old P4's with 1gb ram and 40gb hdd that i use for my virtual lab, including a couple of virtual machines on my mac as well.

• Advertisement

depends on how u wanna do it, if you want to use them on virtual machines then you might want to have a decent machine, otherwise if you have a couple of low spec machines, 1GHz, 1gb ram etc.

I have 3 old P4's with 1gb ram and 40gb hdd that i use for my virtual lab, including a couple of virtual machines on my mac as well.

Ya, I might bring home a high spec machine from work and use it for VM's.
    Thanks for all the advice.

Advertisement