Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I use my girlfriend's iTunes?

• 16-08-2012 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭

1. My laptop has died. I had my music on it.

I tried to use my girlfriend's itunes on her laptop but the music wouldn't copy to my phone. I'm guessing this is a copyright protection thing?

Is there any way around it? I really want to put music on my iphone. How about if I uninstall itunes on her laptop and reinstall it? Would that work?

2. Also, separate question. When I open her itunes, I see her music, but I can't see it on the C drive i.e in a music folder.

Does the music stay in itunes even when you delete it from the original folder that was there before you bring it over to itunes?

If so, now that it's been deleted from the music folder, is it possible to do the reverse and bring it from itunes back to the main c drive music folder?

The reason I ask, is that I like some of the music in her itunes but can't see in it in her normal folders.

I hope I'm explaining myself ok.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Bazsutto

1. From what I gather, I take it you do not have any music on your phone as presant? If you do have music on it, the following will erase it.

First thing you need to do is setup a separate login account on your g/f's laptop, so you can have your own iTunes Library. Now you want to locate the music on her PC that you want to put onto your phone and add it to iTunes by selection "Add Folder to Library". Next you want to backup your iPhone using iTunes. Do this before you sync it. After backup has been performed, sync the iphone and you're done.

2. Music is not stored in iTunes itself. It is on the PC somewhere. To find where it is located on the computer, open your g/f's itunes, highlight a song in the library and Press Ctrl + R. Explorer should open in new window showing the location of the song and her music library.

Hope this helps,

Barry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

There's no need to create a new user on the laptop to have a second iTunes library. I think holding CTRL and L when opening iTunes gives a choice of which library you want to use. Google it to be sure.

If the op has music in their iPhone they could use sharepod to transfer it to the laptop before syncing so they won't lose it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Ctrl + Shift + R ;) right clicking on any song and clicking LOCATE IN EXPLORER is the same thing so take your choice to find the music..

as for putting it onto your phone I'd recommend using MediaMonkey and just syncing the stuff over with that - none of that ****e limit apple impose on you by wiping your devices when you try to copy stuff from another iTunes other than the one on your own laptop.

Once you find your music library simply add it to MediaMonkey just like you would with iTunes. Then select all the songs you wand, right click, SEND TO and your iPhone should be listed (assuming it's plugged in :P )

couldn't be easier and you can do it from multiple laptops without any problems and you can also use it in reverse to copy music back to the desktop

(I don't own iPhone so can't vouch for it myself but it works flawlessly with my iPod so can't see where the issue would arise as iPhone's are supported)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

Am I missing something here, why can't you just click manually manage music and drag and drop any song you want onto the iphone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

kjl wrote: »
    Am I missing something here, why can't you just click manually manage music and drag and drop any song you want onto the iphone?

Because it won't let me. Apple protect copyright so that you can't download music from someone else's itunes.

Say I buy an album in itunes and it's on my laptop, you can't come along and take the album off my itunes for free. It's to make sure whoever gets the album pays for it. That's what I can make out from it anyway.

To the other posters, thanks a lot. I downloadeed the Media Monkey in the end and to anyone who hates itunes becuase it's such a pain, I highly recommend Media Monkey. It's free. You just drag music into it and right click/send to your iphone. Even if the files are mp3, you just have to right click and send them to your iphone and the transfer speed is super quick.

Find of the year for me this year!

One question about it, does the iphone play mp3's or does media monkey convert them to apple format amazingly quick after you send them to the iphone? I didn't think iphones played mp3s?

• Advertisement

iphone plays mp3 without a problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

kraggy wrote: »
    Because it won't let me. Apple protect copyright so that you can't download music from someone else's itunes.

Say I buy an album in itunes and it's on my laptop, you can't come along and take the album off my itunes for free. It's to make sure whoever gets the album pays for it. That's what I can make out from it anyway.

To the other posters, thanks a lot. I downloadeed the Media Monkey in the end and to anyone who hates itunes becuase it's such a pain, I highly recommend Media Monkey. It's free. You just drag music into it and right click/send to your iphone. Even if the files are mp3, you just have to right click and send them to your iphone and the transfer speed is super quick.

Find of the year for me this year!

One question about it, does the iphone play mp3's or does media monkey convert them to apple format amazingly quick after you send them to the iphone? I didn't think iphones played mp3s?

unless she bought them from iTunes you can 100% copy her songs to you iphone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

kjl wrote: »
    unless she bought them from iTunes you can 100% copy her songs to you iphone.

If you bring your iPod or iPhone over to your mates house and try to copy music onto your device with their iTunes on their laptop it'll make you wipe your device before letting you copy the stuff over. And if you then try to go back to your own PC it'll make you wipe it again before letting you sync again. This has always been the way with my iPod anyways so unless it's different with an iPhone or iPods these days that's the problem the OP was having from what I could gather anyways.

Yeah it's always being that way with the iPhone. You can use sharepod to copy the music off the iPhone first though and then sync.

From the op it's not clear if they already have music on their phone so I'm guessing this is the point kji was trying to get across.

Advertisement