Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dry Suits + Undersuit

• 16-08-2012 3:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

I recently bought a dry suit http://www.flagshipscuba.com/details.php?p=187, but the Dive shop sold out of the undersuit I was looking for.

I'm heading off to Donegal on a dive next weekend and was wondering how necessary is it to wear undersuits like the thermalux etc.

Would I get away with a wearing a few wicking technical base layers? The likes of underarmour or dri-flo?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Sorry, but I can't offer any advice as to what to wear under the suit - perhaps fleece garments?

I was posting to ask that after your dive, could you report back with your experiences please?

Thanks, and best of luck with your dive.

What depths are you anticipating?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Fairly shallow in and around 28. As far as I can tell the undersuits are just fleeces / poly with wicking materials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

I have 2 undersuits and generally I will just wear tracksuit bottems and a tshirt underneath because drysuits can keep you almost too warm. If needs be throw in a fleece underneath and thick warm socks, but thats as good as an undersuit.

You will be warm in a new suit, because I am sure there will be 0 leaks

Enjoy Donegal ! ! !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭denismc

A lot depends on your cold tolerance but typically in a neoprene suit you could get away with a few wicking baselayers especially this time of year as the water is close to its warmest.
    I would avoid thinsulate type garments with a neoprene suit as they add bulk and you will need more weight than if using fourth element or base layers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Well, I did a bit of experimenting and I was toasty all weekend.

Used a long sleeve Dri-Flo wicking t-shirt and pair of jogging leggings and some wooly socks.

Also experimented with http://us.icebreaker.com/200-Lightweight-Mondo-Zip/IBE159,en,pd.html?dwvar_IBE159_color=001&start=5&cgid=mens-tops&prefn1=features&prefv1=Half%20Zip&prefn2=weatherConditions&prefv2=Cold and was plenty warm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement