Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beware of retailers who don't automatically issue a receipt

Options
  • 16-08-2012 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20 Fionn23ie

My local shop\garage in KK has a policy of NOT issuing receipts unless asked for. I recently started asking for receipts and discovered twice in the last few weeks I was over-charged! It was only 2-3 euro each time but God knows how many times over the years I've walked out of that shop 2-3 euro down! It adds up! Also how many others are walking out of the shop not having paid much attention to how much they were charged but not having a receipt to check!

If I was cynical I might think they don't issue receipts to cover up a scam!

What worries me most is when I asked staff they told me they have been instructed not to issue receipts! It seems very fishy to me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

I always go to the supermarket for more than one item, theres no shortage of supermarkets in Kilkenny now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Fionn23ie

I'll be joining you from now on!

Especially since Dunnes is only a couple of hundred yards from the shop\filling station!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Silverscott

Fionn23ie wrote: »
    Especially since Dunnes is only a couple of hundred yards from the shop\filling station!

Would it be down in Irishtown........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

My local shop\garage in KK has a policy of NOT issuing receipts unless asked for. I recently started asking for receipts and discovered twice in the last few weeks I was over-charged! It was only 2-3 euro each time but God knows how many times over the years I've walked out of that shop 2-3 euro down! It adds up! Also how many others are walking out of the shop not having paid much attention to how much they were charged but not having a receipt to check!

What worries me most is when I asked staff they told me they have been instructed not to issue receipts! It seems very fishy to me!

How can you not know that ur being overcharged? do you not look at the prices when buying something? and can you not add?

• Advertisement

I think you are missing the point!

I think you are missing the point!

No im definitely not im sure most people check the prices of things before they buy and most prob check their change before they leave so to me it sound like you did neither and you got stung and now your warning people against retailers that dont issue receipts so yeah i def didnt miss your point.

I'd rather not say exactly where it is! Have you had a similar experience?

You are funny...you sound so like my wife.

Perhaps it is a gender/man thing...to go into a convenience store, not be 100% sure on the price of each item you are buying (as the prices are not always displayed neatly under each item) but naively expect that you won't be screwed.

The point is the onus is being placed on the consumer in this case to uncover discrepancies (which are happening regularly at this store) at the point of sale (when there is often a long queue waiting behind you) when the solution is simple, inexpensive and already adopted as best practice by most retailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Many small shops don't issue receipts until requested, and there's no obligation to do so unless requested. It costs money to print receipts which most customers only scrunch up without reading and throw in or around the bin. Not being automatically issued with a receipt doesn't mean there's shenanigans afoot.
    "If you want a receipt ask for one" seems the best solution all round imo.

Perhaps it is a gender/man thing...to go into a convenience store, not be 100% sure on the price of each item you are buying (as the prices are not always displayed neatly under each item) but naively expect that you won't be screwed.

The point is the onus is being placed on the consumer in this case to uncover discrepancies (which are happening regularly at this store) at the point of sale (when there is often a long queue waiting behind you) when the solution is simple, inexpensive and already adopted as best practice by most retailers.
    But the onus has always been on the consumer to check what they're being charged. It's bad form but not illegal to charge more than the sticker price since the sticker price is only an invitation to treat. It's up to you to monitor the price charged and either accept or reject the contract before handing over your cash.

• Advertisement

I agree and that is the related to the message I would like to highlight...don't always assume you are being charged correctly...always ask for a receipt and check it before you leave the premises.

I was just surprised at the frequency at which mistakes were\are being made!

(I have to admit I like the pro-active, consumer friendly approach taken by many retailers in automatically issuing receipts though)

Im sure you are referring to me sounding like your wife and it might just shock you i am your wife :D im actually a bloke and i always know roughly what iv to pay and roughly what im gonna get back in my change its called simple maths.

Good man...you may be good at the "simple maths" but your spelling and punctuation leave a lot to be desired!!!

Good man...

Thanks.

Good man...you may be good at the "simple maths" but your spelling and punctuation leave a lot to be desired!!!

Now Fionn dont be getting personal and if you could please point out my spelling errors id gladly change them so you are a little bit happier.

S28382,

I set out to champion the cause of the hard-pressed consumer. Insinuating that the problem I am faced with is less about retailer/consumer engagement and more about my mathematical ability was the first personal insult to be posted here! I tried not to bow to that but in true Troll fashion you persisted (I took comfort, by the way, in seeing another post on this site referring to your behaviour as such) and I'm afraid you've succeeded in bringing me down to your level!

The best of luck with finding someone to help you out with your "simple English", I've neither the time nor inclination!

All that said I am happy I got the message across to the rest of the community.

S28382,

I set out to champion the cause of the hard-pressed consumer. Insinuating that the problem I am faced with is less about retailer/consumer engagement and more about my mathematical ability was the first personal insult to be posted here! I tried not to bow to that but in true Troll fashion you persisted (I took comfort, by the way, in seeing another post on this site referring to your behaviour as such) and I'm afraid you've succeeded in bringing me down to your level!

The best of luck with finding someone to help you out with your "simple English", I've neither the time nor inclination!

All that said I am happy I got the message across to the rest of the community.

In my first post i merely asked can you add and the last time i checked that was a question and not an insult. As for the trolling i most certainly dont troll i just dont go along with some of the other boardies points of view and ill put my point across in any way i see fit now some may call it what they want but im sure you appreciate my point of view that you got stung by not checking your change and now your warning people against retailers which is not really fair on them.

S28382 wrote: »
    In my first post i merely asked can you add and the last time i checked that was a question and not an insult. As for the trolling i most certainly dont troll i just dont go along with some of the other boardies points of view and ill put my point across in any way i see fit now some may call it what they want but im sure you appreciate my point of view that you got stung by not checking your change and now your warning people against retailers which is not really fair on them.

S28382,

I have absolutely no problem in people expressing their views; that's what makes forums such as this work! What I have a problem with is the manner in which your view was expressed, the sentiment and your lack of consideration and empathy with those who may have been wronged.

To set you straight - I was not "stung" on either occasion in question. I asked for the receipt, spotted the error and had it rectified. I am highlighting the practice in an attempt to reduce the risk for others. Through circumstance, a little hard-work and a lot of good luck I have been very well educated and find myself with a good job and more than enough money at this point in time. However, not everyone has had the fortune I have had and herein lies the point:

What if I was unfortunate enough to be unable to add or do basic maths? Would that have made it ok for me to have been over-charged? There are many people who suffer from dementia, numerical dyslexia or are mentally challenged to the extent that recognising these errors would be vey difficult or even impossible without a receipt. (Think about how you would have made your point in such a scenario?) Have some consideration and think about how to present your argument. Try not to be so condescending - it is quite apparent you are no Einstein!

Whatever the situation being over-charged is wrong full stop! Retailers have a straightforward and simple method of reducing the risk by issuing receipts (and most apply it). I would like to see more adopt this socially responsible approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Tessa Repulsive Stipend

Just for the record I'm not having a go fiona I'm just being blunt

Retailers can price something whatever they want they don't legally have to charge that it's bad form but if they tell you a price at the till and you overpay it's completely on you there taking advantage but your worse by letting them
    If they say that would be whatever euro please and you don't catch on you are as much at fault as them

Again not havin a go just being blunt

Yes Tessa Repulsive Stipend the points you make are not in conflict with mine. In fact, the title of the post represents your argument exactly - let the consumer beware! The advice I am giving is always ask for your receipt and check it.

The legislation in this area in Ireland is lacking and behind most other developed countries but many retailers in Ireland are going beyond legal requirements and adopting a social responsible approach by issuing receipts for each transaction. Some would argue it can be a source of competitive advantage (I would agree).

• Advertisement

S28382,

I have absolutely no problem in people expressing their views; that's what makes forums such as this work! What I have a problem with is the manner in which your view was expressed, the sentiment and your lack of consideration and empathy with those who may have been wronged.

To set you straight - I was not "stung" on either occasion in question. I asked for the receipt, spotted the error and had it rectified. I am highlighting the practice in an attempt to reduce the risk for others. Through circumstance, a little hard-work and a lot of good luck I have been very well educated and find myself with a good job and more than enough money at this point in time. However, not everyone has had the fortune I have had and herein lies the point:

What if I was unfortunate enough to be unable to add or do basic maths? Would that have made it ok for me to have been over-charged? There are many people who suffer from dementia, numerical dyslexia or are mentally challenged to the extent that recognising these errors would be vey difficult or even impossible without a receipt. (Think about how you would have made your point in such a scenario?) Have some consideration and think about how to present your argument. Try not to be so condescending - it is quite apparent you are no Einstein!

Whatever the situation being over-charged is wrong full stop! Retailers have a straightforward and simple method of reducing the risk by issuing receipts (and most apply it). I would like to see more adopt this socially responsible approach.

First off you dont know me in any way so for you to call me no Einstein is ok as im not no Einstein but in that itself im certainly no fool and i too have done well for myself so i dont see how well you or i have done is anything to do with this topic, now i like most people using this site dont really ever bother with punctuation or the correct wording of sentences as i find it quicker to just type any way i see fit so i assure you i can respond in any way you may see appropriate if you want.

I never said or implied that you or anyone was bad at anything and i think you should stop trying to imply that i did what i did say that it is simple maths when checking change and if some person is not capable on doing that then thats unfortunate for them i am not offending anyone when talking about simple maths the general population can do simple maths and anyone that falls into the bracket of not being able to do so then i appreciate is in a difficult postition so their situation is different to yours and here lies my argument;

You say that you got short changed, you come on here warning people about retailers just because you got short changed. Now i think that is wrong as not every retailer does something like that and bad review or a slandering of any business on this website can have a disastrous effect on a retailers business as some folks on this site take others peoples opinions on things as gospel and therefore a bad review can spread like wildfire and have a detrimental effect, of course that works both ways a good review can work wonders but that is not always the case as this website as you have proved is used more often than not for people to have a moan. What you are doing is making a place seem bad because you got shortchanged when all it takes is a quick look at your change to know if you have what you are owed. If it was a mistake on the tellers behalf than its human error if its a regular thing name and shame the retailer but of course than can only be done if it is proven to be the case. If i am correct in my guess about the place you are on about then i for one have never been short changed there maybe its just my luck or maybe im too mean to spend enough money in there to get short changed either way you need to back up your claim before you go bad mouthing a business. If it was the case that they were scamming people i would back you all the way i would encourage name and shame but you are in no position to do so.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I'm locking this thread because I will only have to infract one or both of you if I let it continue. I'd also rather have salt poured in my eyes than have to read anymore of this childish drivel.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement