Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

guitar cables?

Options
  • 16-08-2012 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

the best guitar/instrument cable to buy to suit a les paul ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭-=al=-

A blue one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 les paul 1967

A blue one! from -=al=-

i thank you for your input .............you obviously have a certain level of intelligence that goes beyond the realm of normality !!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

To be fair if you ask a silly question then don't be surprised if you get a silly answer. I just use straightforward Planet Waves cables. I have ones with an angled jack which I find a bit handier to plug into effects units.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

don't buy the cheapest crap and you'll be fine.

planet waves are as good as you'll get, but I make my own from yellow mic cable and really good plugs.

two reasons.

I KNOW which cables are mine, even in the near dark...... and if a solder joint breaks I can fix it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

..............just get the cheapest one. There is no point spending more than the cheapest, as they are all the same, and they all break eventually anyway, even the Planet Waves ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

..............just get the cheapest one. There is no point spending more than the cheapest, as they are all the same, and they all break eventually anyway if you don't know how to take care of them, even the Planet Waves ones.
    Fyp

Learn to coil them properly, and don't leave hanging from the jack socket. I've bought plenty as I've needed more. Never had one fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

they are all the same
    In my experience they're not. I've bought cheaper cables in the past and the the thinner insulating wire has resulted in the connection breaking if the cable gets stood on or stuffed into a bag without wrapping it properly. I also had one particularly cheap cable which was of such poor quality the connector into the guitar bent itself into a 90 degree angle over time just from the weight of the cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

For a Les Paul, I find right-angled ones best. No sticky-outy bit before looping it back over the strap.

On an aside, I have a pair of Whirlwind cables that I've had for about (probably more than) 15 years. That's good going...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Malice wrote: »
    In my experience they're not. I've bought cheaper cables in the past and the the thinner insulating wire has resulted in the connection breaking if the cable gets stood on or stuffed into a bag without wrapping it properly. I also had one particularly cheap cable which was of such poor quality the connector into the guitar bent itself into a 90 degree angle over time just from the weight of the cable.

I agree that not all cables are the same. The real cheapies are worthless IMO. I have used this one for the last three years for both practicing and gigging. I have another as a spare. Never had any problems and it's still going strong.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Custom-Length-Electric-Guitar-Leads-Neutrik-Gold-Jack-Plugs-Blue-VanDamme-Cable-/150761838560?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&var=&hash=item68ca091081

IMO, a lot depends on how you handle/pack away/coil them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

-=al=- wrote: »
    A blue one!
    Sorry Al. Can't let this go. A blue one will only suit a custom. Unless its curly. The cable that is, not the LP.

• Advertisement
Advertisement