Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Dublin and hoping for some feedback/ideas

Options
  • 16-08-2012 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭

Hi all,

Moving to Dublin in a few weeks from Cork and now the search for a place to live begins. Looking for at least a 2 bed with parking. Paying around €750 for a quality one bed apartment in Cork suburbs and from what I can see I’m wasting my time trying to find a 2 bed in Dublin anywhere suitable for less than €1000. Was thinking of a limited of €900 but there’s very little out there I’m finding. Obviously if it was more central and transport costs were minimised we’d pay a premium.

Transport for work commute and for my OH (who doesn’t drive), accessibility and local amenities/shops etc are key.

Will be working in the city centre near the red Luas line but finding the options are a bit limited, would appreciated any thoughts or experiences on the below. Basically for the budget and requirements is there anywhere obvious I haven’t considered?

City West – nice place, seems cheap for the apparent quality of some buildings, would seem like it’s a bit isolated and is a good way out, not many local shops etc?
    • Ranelagh, Rathmines, Milltown – would be ok location, close enough to city but there’s not a huge choice and prices seem crazy.
    • Portmarnock/Malahide – distance ok, would have enough local facilities, commute could be costly though and rents are high
    • Clontarf /Drumcondra – like and know those areas but poor choice
    • Only place city centre I’ve seen that I like is Mountjoy Sq but must check quality of those conversions when I arrange viewings and see if the places are small.
    • Inchicore – is it safe? Transport might be a bit of an issue?

Any thoughts feedback or ideas are more than welcome – apologies for the length of the post!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭scotchannie

I'm living in balbriggan in a two bed, with parking for 670 pm ... commute into city center on train which is a 40 min journey and the trains are very regular in the morning up until 9 oclock and then there's one every hour or so... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Are you both going to be working in the city centre? You say red line, if you're working down in the IFSC then Ringsend/Sandymount could be an option for a quick stroll into work.

Stoneybatter is a decent place to live - are you young, is your social life important or will you be heading back to Cork every Friday evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Inchicore is like any other area of the City,if you keep your wits about you you'll be grand.Also has great bus links with the 13/40/68/69 routes all passing through the village,as well as the Luas Red Line stops at Blackhorse and Driminagh.

Tesco express in the village too,as well as pubs,restaurants etc.

Cousin who's from Kerry lives there and he loves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭spitonmedickie

Thanks for the ideas. Might look a little further out then. Some nice looking places in Stoneybatter and think we've narrowed it down to somwhere like that or Inchicore unless the rent is so much cheaper in Balbriggan that it's a no brainer.

Would be a pretty permanent move, not up and down to Cork every weekend like, so not sure what the night life is like in towns outside the city but talking about it closer the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Maybe places like Phibsboro, Glasnevin, Chapelizod, Harolds Cross, Kilmainham, Marino and Ringsend might suit? All close to the city, generally safe, and would be more affordable than places like Ranelagh or Clontarf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭HOS 1997

Bumping this thread instead of starting a new one.

Maybe starting a job in Blanchardstown soon, what would be the best place to live to suit working there?

Advertisement