Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting No word back after an interview

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

Reading through your posts, this thread seems like the right place for my rant. I was looking at online job adverts today and was absolutely gobsmacked to see two CIDs advertised! It makes no sense to me as I always thought you cannot be interviewed for a CID position. You're either in the school four years or youre not. Is this a mix up by the school advertising the post?

This ad wasnt for my subjects but it just really annoyed me. If the schools advertising these positions cant give you a basic job description, whats the point. I always wonder if dodgy ads like this are trying to hint that the job is already gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

aunt aggie wrote: »
    Reading through your posts, this thread seems like the right place for my rant. I was looking at online job adverts today and was absolutely gobsmacked to see two CIDs advertised! It makes no sense to me as I always thought you cannot be interviewed for a CID position. You're either in the school four years or youre not. Is this a mix up by the school advertising the post?

This ad wasnt for my subjects but it just really annoyed me. If the schools advertising these positions cant give you a basic job description, whats the point. I always wonder if dodgy ads like this are trying to hint that the job is already gone.

Employers can give a cid whenever they like. They MUST give it after the expiration of four successive fixed term contracts but can give it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Patches22

From my experience it is usually that evening or the day after the interview that the principal rings you, although I did an interview on Friday for a job and heard back today that I got it.

If you don't get it you usually get a letter within 3 postal days of the interview.
    bdoo wrote: »
    Some of the VEC's are very good at it. In some cases if you apply online you will be informed by email if you were unsuccessful with a phonetically if you got the job.

Even getting on a panel is good though as other posts may arise during the year and can b filled from the panel.

Thanks for your replies. I don't know, the interview was yesterday and for some reason I feel I would have heard by now if I'd gotten it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭flatbackfour

Patches22 wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies. I don't know, the interview was yesterday and for some reason I feel I would have heard by now if I'd gotten it. :(

its still early days yet. You would never know. Something will turn up. it nearly always does.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 ed06

just wondering if you interview for a youthreach tutor position would it be the vec or youthreach co-ord that would notify you if successful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

To finally get back to this. I am the OP and i received a letter of rejection last yesterday. They did say they would ring me but at least I received some notification which was the least i expected. in the mean time I received a job closer to home for a longer period so all is good. I have been to interviews in the past other than this where I did not get any notification afterwards.

I am convinced that i am lacking something in interviews. Would love to be able to film myself in an interview situation. Anyone know is there any classes to go to where you can improve your interview skills?

Have an interview for a better job next Thursday which is the first day all students are back in the school where i accepted the job. Rang the school to see would they rearrange the interview and they would not as the panel have been arranged for that day (its in a VEC). Terrible annoying to have an interview like this on a day when most schools are back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭smallgarden

To finally get back to this. I am the OP and i received a letter of rejection last yesterday. They did say they would ring me but at least I received some notification which was the least i expected. in the mean time I received a job closer to home for a longer period so all is good. I have been to interviews in the past other than this where I did not get any notification afterwards.

I am convinced that i am lacking something in interviews. Would love to be able to film myself in an interview situation. Anyone know is there any classes to go to where you can improve your interview skills?

you could always ask for feedback from the interviews.youre legally entitled to the notes they take on you methinks. it mightnt be what youre doing at all but that someone else has more experience or something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭flatbackfour

Maybe you could phone the principal for feedback. it may be hard now because it was a while back. it may annoy him to have to talk to you but I would ask questions like what did I do well. Where did fall down on etc etc.

Specific targeted questions are best.
    Have an interview for a better job next Thursday which is the first day all students are back in the school where i accepted the job. Rang the school to see would they rearrange the interview and they would not as the panel have been arranged for that day (its in a VEC). Terrible annoying to have an interview like this on a day when most schools are back.

that is very annoying. Not sure how I would handle that one, although the fact that you are in a job may strenthen your hand when it comes to a new job, you have already proved yourself in interview for that school. I would mention in a subtle way in the interview that you are in employment already etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

that is very annoying. Not sure how I would handle that one, although the fact that you are in a job may strenthen your hand when it comes to a new job, you have already proved yourself in interview for that school. I would mention in a subtle way in the interview that you are in employment already etc.

i did mention it in a subtle way while making it clear that the job at their school was what I wanted. They would not budge however which gave me the feeling they did not really want me/job is gone already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭smallgarden

vec interviews wont budge,its taken them this long to put together an interview panel so if its an official interview they wont be able to change it.also theyre probably interviewing loads of people for loads of jobs so would be impossible to star rearranging interviews for everyone

understand its frustrating though.i had interview today and have another one monday.its for an area ive never worked in so leaves no time for planning or getting my head around it if get the job and the job varies completely in every school. but be delighted to get either job so fingers crossed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

i did mention it in a subtle way while making it clear that the job at their school was what I wanted. They would not budge however which gave me the feeling they did not really want me/job is gone already.

I wouldn't assume that the don't want you at all. They are probably interviewing 5 or 6 people for the job and have a panel of 3 people arranged plus a note taker etc. They just won't go changing all of that to suit one person in fairness.

Have you mentioned the interview in your new school?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

you could always ask for feedback from the interviews.youre legally entitled to the notes they take on you methinks. it mightnt be what youre doing at all but that someone else has more experience or something like that

I would be very surprised if they give you the notes they take during the interview. rarely do principals gibe me relevant feedback on why I did not get the job. I sometimes ring to ask why I did not get the job and there can be an awkward silence on heir part.

this summer I have had less than 14 hours notice for interviews which is a bummer when you are trying to make a little money with another job to keep yourself afloat over the summer. getting called for interview sometimes depends on being able to take the call there and then. if they cannot reach you there and then, too bad.

i think its important to save the ad from the newspaper or internet so you can take them up on it if tehz change something at the interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

That's a very awkward situation maynooth_rules! I'd say there's no chance a VEC will rearrange though. I've never had a VEC interview with less than four on the panel - especially since they usually contain politicians and department inspectors. I doubt flexibility is possible.

Advertisement