Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rifle cleaning equipment

Options
  • 16-08-2012 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭

I have a new .223 on the way so I am going to get a few cleaning bits while I'm at it. Where is the best place to buy all this stuff, I'd prefer to get everything at once.

Here is what I am looking to buy.

- Cleaning rod, With the new rifle having a 26" barrel my usual rod will not be long enough so would like a good rod that will work in my .223 and .25-06

- Jags/brushes, that suit the thread on the rod.

- Bore guide, will one bore guide do or will I need a separate one for my remington .223 and my tikka .25-06

Also while I'm at it I'd like to get a chamber brush. What websites and brands do ye use? Its one thing that I dont like buying online as I'd prefer to see them in the flesh first but no gun shop has a great selection so I'll tak eyer word on it!

Ideally I'd like someone to give me a list of whats right for the job and a website to buy it off! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Constab2

I just bought the Tipton Range (Jags,Brushes, rods x2 20 & 30 cal),the jags & brushes are excellent as well as the rods the boreguide is a bit fiddly but does work goes from .17 all the way to the 30 cal roughly €240 for the lot.
    Got the rods from UK Stalkers & rest from Cabelas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Mike87

I do the vast majority of my dealings with Brian Duffy in Galway (shoot.ie) In the 2 years of buying from him I have yet to have one bad experience.

Theres not too many dealers I can say that about.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Bore-Tech is what i use now. I still have Parker-hale, Tipton, and Tetra rods, but the Bore-Tech is a much better rod for my needs as it also is much longer at 57". I also use their line of jags, brushes, mops, and bore guide. The bearings in the handle work much better, and make cleaning easier.

As for cleaning products i've a healthy mix of products. From KG, to Forrest foam, Butch's boreshine, Wipeout, oils, meth. spirits, etc. Most of it i get from Jim Griffin (he carries a good line of cleaners), but i also ordered some jags, and mops, etc from Sinclair/Brownell's.. They will not ship solvents, but other than that most can be got from them. Jim also does a selection of Bore-tech rods. Not sure what he has in stock at the moment though.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

I use most of the Dewey range , from rod to jags and brushes and use them with a Lucas bore guide.

Ordered direct from then=m as the prices were low and the service was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Get yourself a bore snake.

• Advertisement

Get yourself a bore snake.

Handy yokes but dont give the same level of cleaning as a good rod and brushes.

Also maybe people say they damage the crown but thats a debate in itself as its been argued until the cows come home and they still arent home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

Ezridax wrote: »
    Bore-Tech is what i use now. I still have Parker-hale, Tipton, and Tetra rods, but the Bore-Tech is a much better rod for my needs as it also is much longer at 57". I also use their line of jags, brushes, mops, and bore guide. The bearings in the handle work much better, and make cleaning easier.

As for cleaning products i've a healthy mix of products. From KG, to Forrest foam, Butch's boreshine, Wipeout, oils, meth. spirits, etc. Most of it i get from Jim Griffin (he carries a good line of cleaners), but i also ordered some jags, and mops, etc from Sinclair/Brownell's.. They will not ship solvents, but other than that most can be got from them. Jim also does a selection of Bore-tech rods. Not sure what he has in stock at the moment though.

Thanks lads for the info, Erzi where did you get your Bore-Tech bore guide?

Also on the website it had three types of bore guide but also three types of nose cones.... would I need 2 different bore guides and nose cones for my .223 and .25-06?

I think I'll give Jim griffen a ring tomorrow about the rods and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

patsat wrote: »
    Thanks lads for the info, Erzi where did you get your Bore-Tech bore guide?

Also on the website it had three types of bore guide but also three types of nose cones.... would I need 2 different bore guides and nose cones for my .223 and .25-06?

I think I'll give Jim griffen a ring tomorrow about the rods and stuff.

Doesn't have a bore-tech for a .223 or I would have bought it a few days ago ;)

Ordered the cleaning gear from Sinclair BUT if you're going with them be very careful with your shipping choice. E-mail and ask for a cost estimate before you confirm, I messed up my shipping option and picked a stupidly expensive one :o

Also will you need 2 rods? Will the .223 rod flex excessively (rubbing the inside of the bore) in the .25-06? I know I used my parker hale on the brothers .308 and I wouldn't do it again. Was flexing all over the shop.

Sinclair also do one piece bore guides for different actions, they're rip offs of the Lucas type and less than $20. Got one of these as well because they seem a much better job than the old universal one I have.

If you wait a few days I can give a proper review when I get my stuff in the door

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭johnfaul

would anyone know any place online that ships solvents to Ireland,
    I am looking for boretech eliminator and Kg 1.
    Thanks john

johnfaul wrote: »
    would anyone know any place online that ships solvents to Ireland,
    I am looking for boretech eliminator and Kg 1.
    Thanks john

I bought all the KG products from this fella and he posted to Ireland so worth a message on Ebay LINK

• Advertisement

I got my bore tech rod and accessories today in the post. Really tastey bit of kit and I'm delighted with it. The bore guide is excellent.

Vegeta wrote: »
    I got my bore tech rod and accessories today in the post. Really tastey bit of kit and I'm delighted with it. The bore guide is excellent.

Must check them out next time. I spent a small fortune between Dewey and Lucas made to order guide and your stuff sounds just as good. Well wear or should that be no wear :)

Tikkat3 wrote: »
    Must check them out next time. I spent a small fortune between Dewey and Lucas made to order guide and your stuff sounds just as good. Well wear or should that be no wear :)

I have a parker hale rod already and handled/checked out tipton rods and the bore tech rod is really nice. Never used a Dewey though.

The rod was $48 and the bore guide was under $20. Problem is shipping. I never asked how much it would be. The way their system works you pick a shipping option and agree to pay whatever it is. They don't tell you the figure on checkout, they told me in an e-mail just as they shipped it. I thought I'd get a chance for a final yes or no. Shipping was $80 and it's because the rod is awkward size.

So Sinclairs service was great but shipping price put a downer on it. I needed the items badly so being honest I don't really care.

I have a parker hale rod already and handled/checked out tipton rods and the bore tech rod is really nice. Never used a Dewey though.

The rod was $48 and the bore guide was under $20. Problem is shipping. I never asked how much it would be. The way their system works you pick a shipping option and agree to pay whatever it is. They don't tell you the figure on checkout, they told me in an e-mail just as they shipped it. I thought I'd get a chance for a final yes or no. Shipping was $80 and it's because the rod is awkward size.

So Sinclairs service was great but shipping price put a downer on it. I needed the items badly so being honest I don't really care.

Wow that was a fair hit on the shipping but you got what you wanted and you are happy with it.

If I remember, I paid a good bit for the Lucas guide and the rod was reasonable.

I have the Dewey rod and will say its nice, went nylon coated, and postage was reasonable if memory serves me.

In relation to shipping, I hear ya. I pay for what I need if I need it rather than spending the time and hassle on the phones ringing around the island and finding out at the end that you should and could have ordered direct.

Happy cleaning :)

Hey folks, http://www.tacfiresystems.co.uk/ will ship KG cleaning products to us here in Ireland. :D

I ordered a few bits off them last weekend, then emailed them Wednesday to ask was the items shipped. They told me they had not shipped them because they were waiting for a delivery for one of the items but it was due in the day after :rolleyes:

Haven't received conformation that the items are shipped yet though so I'll let ye know what I think of their service once/if I get the items! :P

Ordered stuff off stalkersuk at te same time and had them Friday :)

I ordered a few bits off them last weekend, then emailed them Wednesday to ask was the items shipped. They told me they had not shipped them because they were waiting for a delivery for one of the items but it was due in the day after :rolleyes:

Ahhh I hate that. Let us know how it goes good or bad

Ahhh I hate that. Let us know how it goes good or bad

Will do, that stalkersuk is a good site, gonna be using that again!

Haven't received conformation that the items are shipped yet though so I'll let ye know what I think of their service once/if I get the items! :P

Ordered stuff off stalkersuk at te same time and had them Friday :)

My order from tacfire was delivered yday so happy enough! :)

My order from tacfire was delivered yday so happy enough! :)

Thanks for the update patsat. Was it just cleaning stuff or something extra nice :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement