Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TUS Programme

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

But aren't CE & Tús basically the very same scheme, just with different titles?

But that's the thing, she either has to say Yes or No. If she chooses option 2 and says No, then goes on to explain about her eCollege course but they don't think it's a valid excuse then her payment gets stopped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

So if she says No, they will evaluate her reasons then more then likely just force her into a placement or stop her JSA anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Phat Cat wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you mean by that. The form only gives two options 1) Accept interview for a position 2) Refuse position but explain in detail why you are refusing it.

The issue with option 2 is that if your reason isn't deemed good enough then her JSA will be cut off.

I mean accept interview, but bring proof that she is doing something about improving her chances of gainful employment and ask the interviewer to at least defer any placement with TUS until eCourse is finished. They're not all ogres and should take her efforts into consideration and assist her efforts.

• Advertisement

I think that the best thing that she can do is reply No to the letter and state the reason why. When they most likely reject it and send her to an interview anyway, then she can try to explain her situation to the interviewer and hope for the best.

Also is it true that you are subject to PAYE on this scheme? I read somewhere that around €10 can be deduced from the €208 that you receive.

I think that the best thing that she can do is reply No to the letter and state the reason why. When they most likely reject it and send her to an interview anyway, then she can try to explain her situation to the interviewer and hope for the best.

Also is it true that you are subject to PAYE on this scheme? I read somewhere that around €10 can be deduced from the €208 that you receive.

That would only apply if someone was claiming for dependents and it takes them over the PAYE threshold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,092 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Generally speaking:

Single person. No tax.
    Married person, spouse not working. No tax
    Married person, spouse working, tax credits split, no tax.
    Married person, spouse working and claiming all credits, leaving you with nil, then possible tax implications.

My wife received a letter from Tús on Monday with forms to be submitted by the end of the month or her JSA will be cut off
    im sure the letter did not say that her "JSA will be cut off".

dodzy wrote: »
    im sure the letter did not say that her "JSA will be cut off".

Well no, not in those exact words. It did clearly state that if she did not want to participate on the scheme or if she didn't return the forms by a certain date, then her benefits would be affected.
    Refusal of work placement Under the National Employment Action Plan someone getting Jobseeker’s Allowance (JA) is required to take up work opportunities such as the offer of a Tús work placement. If they refuse a work opportunity without good reason, they may have their social welfare payment reduced or terminated. If, following a refusal of a placement, someone’s payment is reduced or terminated they may appeal this decision to the Social Welfare Appeals Office within 21 days.

• Advertisement

Well no, not in those exact words. It did clearly state that if she did not want to participate on the scheme or if she didn't return the forms by a certain date, then her benefits would be affected.
    and not in those exact words either I'm guessing

and not in those exact words either I'm guessing

Okay I read it again and it was could and not would, but that's beside the point, the fact of the matter is that it looks like she will be forced to participate on this scheme.

She went to the citizens advice office and they told her that it's pretty much unavoidable, apparently even if she says no, they will either send her for an interview anyway and/or threaten to deduct or terminate her payment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭satguy

I'm 4 months into my TUS placement, when I was called up for my Interview I asked for something working with computers, I gave the interviewers some website addresses of sites I had built / designed.

Then about a year later I get a call asking if I would like to take a placement at The Irish Wheelchair Association teaching basic PC skills to some of their users.

I have to say, it's been great, and 4 months have gone by in a blink, I have a computer room with 8 PC stations, all good machines with good internet access. I have no end of guys and gals looking to learn stuff, from simple Gmail stuff to paying bills online or doing stuff on Facebook. Just today I spent two hours showing a 60 year old man how to put songs from the internet on to his phone. The first song he asked for was AC/DC and then he moved on to Thin Lizzy, we had great fun, even the gang that built up behind us said they had a great time.

I do 19 hours over 3 days, I pick my days, I have a 4 minute commute to work and and never have to work on a Friday as the centre is closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭kmmh58

Hi does anyone have an idea of how this scheme and maternity leave/pay works.

If I was claiming JA I could continue getting my payments as normal (u don't have to sign on for up to 8 weeks after birth) but how does it work for this Tus scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭denlaw

I'm starting a TUS in my local soccer club which i've been involved with since i was a boy, (i'm 48 now), just one question, since i was laid off back in 2011 after 27yrs, i started doing online FAS courses, ive passed the ECDL, Comptia A+ Network+ and i'm halfway through the CCNA, after i get the CCNA i want to do the security+, will i still be allowed to avail of the free online courses ?...

denlaw wrote: »
    I'm starting a TUS in my local soccer club which i've been involved with since i was a boy, (i'm 48 now), just one question, since i was laid off back in 2011 after 27yrs, i started doing online FAS courses, ive passed the ECDL, Comptia A+ Network+ and i'm halfway through the CCNA, after i get the CCNA i want to do the security+, will i still be allowed to avail of the free online courses ?...
    you will, 100%.

Got my first weeks "wages" today, down over €40 on my welfare payment, tell me i must be paying some sort of emergency tax, i rang the tax office last week as well to tell them i was going on this...:confused:

I was also down a good bit of money (€45) for a few weeks. (5 Weeks)
    But you get it back after a while, just contact the tax office.

I had to do that, they gave me €25 euro back, but kept my €20 top up for PRSI payment, well €14.65 of it anyway.
    So my top up was really only €5.35, which was ok, until the council said that as I was now working, they were adding €35 to my rent.
    I did lodge an appeal that took weeks, but lost my appeal.

But I still stand over everything I said in post #1214 on page 81.

satguy wrote: »
    I was also down a good bit of money (€45) for a few weeks. (5 Weeks)
    But you get it back after a while, just contact the tax office.

I had to do that, they gave me €25 euro back, but kept my €20 top up for PRSI payment, well €14.65 of it anyway.
    So my top up was really only €5.35, which was ok, until the council said that as I was now working, they were adding €35 to my rent.
    I did lodge an appeal that took weeks, but lost my appeal.

But I still stand over everything I said in post #1214 on page 81.
    down 40 quid even over 5 weeks is a big hit for me and the family, they told me i wouldn't be down in money, i even rang the tax office the minute i got the number off them

While the TUS programme is a good thing in general, there are a few people that spend their days working in a cubicle that gets smaller every year, it is those people that are using the TUS programme to kick people while they are down.
    How easy would it have been to pre inform Tax or Council that Joe Bloggs / Somebody , is about to start a TUS placement. But instead they bend you over and take advantage of you while you are vulnerable .

• Advertisement

While the TUS programme is a good thing in general, there are a few people that spend their days working in a cubicle that gets smaller every year, it is those people that are using the TUS programme to kick people while they are down.
    How easy would it have been to pre inform Tax or Council that Joe Bloggs / Somebody , is about to start a TUS placement. But instead they bend you over and take advantage of you while you are vulnerable .
    TBH I don't mind going in, I'm my own boss, they even count the 2 hrs I do training the kids On a Saturday morning as part of the 19hrs, I've a family to care for and things are tight since I was made redundant 3 yrs ago, I went looking for this for something to do in the mornings, they didn't tell me to do it, even the money where they take a prsi payment of you cause you've gone over €352, what a bunch of family hating collection of twats running this country...

• Registered Users Posts: 6 JanBee

Holiday question - are Christmas day and Stephen's day treated like bank holidays? They fall on a Thursday and Friday which are the two days I don't work. So am I entitled to two other days off for example the next Monday and Tuesday? Thanks!

JanBee wrote: »
    Holiday question - are Christmas day and Stephen's day treated like bank holidays? They fall on a Thursday and Friday which are the two days I don't work. So am I entitled to two other days off for example the next Monday and Tuesday? Thanks!
    Of course you are :)

We always register new folks with Revenue in advance of their start date and in most circumstances, the Cert will issue before first payroll so no issues there.

The PRSI is a constant PITA that we have to deal with. The "20€ top-up" is eroded pretty quickly once a participant received in excess of €352 per week. In simple terms. a 2 adult & 1 child family will only receive a top-up of €5.60 as the €20 topup pushes them from €342.80 ( €188 + €124.80 + €29.80 ) over the threshold ( they go to €362 ) and are therefor exposed to 4% PRSI on the gross.

We've been trying to get this changed for 3 yrs. Still no joy unfortunately.

Of course you are :)

Thanks for the reply. My organisation are closing for two weeks over Christmas but the staff employed there are using their annual leave days to do this. I was wondering if I could avoid using any of my holiday days based on the fact that the office won't be open, or would I need to do the same as them and use annual leave. I'm the only Tus worker there so not sure how it works. ..

Thanks for the reply. My organisation are closing for two weeks over Christmas but the staff employed there are using their annual leave days to do this. I was wondering if I could avoid using any of my holiday days based on the fact that the office won't be open, or would I need to do the same as them and use annual leave. I'm the only Tus worker there so not sure how it works. ..
    What are the closing date, from and to?

Closed Monday 22nd Dec back open Monday 5th Jan. My working days are Monday and Tuesday and half day Wednesday. Thanks ☺

Closed Monday 22nd Dec back open Monday 5th Jan. My working days are Monday and Tuesday and half day Wednesday. Thanks ☺
    You will have to take the hols during this period (unless your Tus Teamleader can relocate you ). This being the case, and bearing in mind that you get approx 81hrs hols per year, you will have to use approx 39hrs worst case scenario*

*Check with you Teamleader :)

just from personal exp, your annual leave includes your xmas holidays etc, where i worked last we got 5 weeks annual leave with 2 weeks in august as the annual shut down, you didn't have to take them then as there was massive maintenance done and they were always short of lads..

in other words, i'd imagine you'd have to take your holidays the same as where your placed...i might be wrong though...

• Advertisement

You will have to take the hols during this period (unless your Tus Teamleader can relocate you ). This being the case, and bearing in mind that you get approx 81hrs hols per year, you will have to use approx 39hrs worst case scenario*

aye, looks like that

Wow that's alot of holiday days to be taking. That's why I was asking my original question about Christmas day etc being a bank holiday. I am hoping I get 3 holiday days back for Christmas day, Stephens day and New Years day. That way I would only use 2days holiday leave. I will check with my teamleader because I'm even confusing myself now!

Wow that's alot of holiday days to be taking. That's why I was asking my original question about Christmas day etc being a bank holiday. I am hoping I get 3 holiday days back for Christmas day, Stephens day and New Years day. That way I would only use 2days holiday leave. I will check with my teamleader because I'm even confusing myself now!
    Thats the best thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭iHateManCity

Just wondering what kinda jobs are there for people who don't have much experience working?
    I've only done a year's work with some low level computer courses in between.
    I have an appointment to see the team leader Wednesday but I'm just curious.
    even that job was a basic factory job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

There are a whole range of jobs. The most important thing for you to think about is what you would like to do.

Some people really put thought into what they would like on their CV at the end of it while others don't give it a second thought and just want to get the 12 months over asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

racso1975 wrote: »
    There are a whole range of jobs. The most important thing for you to think about is what you would like to do.

Some people really put thought into what they would like on their CV at the end of it while others don't give it a second thought and just want to get the 12 months over asap.

Hav received an invitation to attend an initial interview on Thursday, there is a profile form they want filling out and bringing to the interview. It asks if you agree to be Garda vetted. If you don't agree is that the end of it? Also it asks for two references, if I don't have any references what happens then? Has anyone been in this position before?

• Advertisement

rsole1 wrote: »
    Hav received an invitation to attend an initial interview on Thursday, there is a profile form they want filling out and bringing to the interview. It asks if you agree to be Garda vetted. If you don't agree is that the end of it? Also it asks for two references, if I don't have any references what happens then? Has anyone been in this position before?
    Deja Vu ? from over 2yrs ago ?

Deja Vu ? from over 2yrs ago ?

Yes that's right, but last time there was no "profile" form to be filled in before arrival.

Yes that's right, but last time there was no "profile" form to be filled in before arrival.
    Did you tell them that they already interviewed you.....over 2 yrs ago ?

Did you tell them that they already interviewed you.....over 2 yrs ago ?

The letter arrived today asking me to the meeting Thursday - should I email the person concerned and tell him ? I am refusing the Garda vetting so how will that play out?

The letter arrived today asking me to the meeting Thursday - should I email the person concerned and tell him ? I am refusing the Garda vetting so how will that play out?

They should have you on record as being interviewed. Don't see why you have to jump thru the hoops again. Odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭jos22

on my time sheets I just filled in xmas days etc as a public holiday 8 hours and got the people I work for to sign the sheet and gave it in so I put 24 hours of public holidays for the 3 days over xmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Question, you know the sheets to sign in/out when doing the Tus programme. Does that get given back to Tus or is it something that whoever you are working with keeps an eye on?

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Garmin

I have just received one of these letters from the social welfare to apply for a position on the Tús programme.

I take home €372.40 as I am claiming for my wife and two dependants

So if I get the €20 euro top up that will push me to €392.40, so do I take it that I will actually only get just €3.30 extra since 4% of €392.40 is €15.69.

Will there be any other deductions? Will I have to pay any tax if I am claiming for my wife and two dependants?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 FrodoNaggins

I got a tus letter there today. Im only getting 40 euro a week. I wrote back and stated that I am a university honors graduate and I have attended a few interviews, as the job market for what I want to do is almost stagnant, for work in relation to my degree. I also said i did not do 4 years of university to sweep leaves for the council as a lower wage worker. I then went on to say that I have paid over 2,000 euros in fees and the 40 euro a week barely gets me around the country for interviews. I also said I can provide proof of jobs that I have applied and have had interviews for. Surely they cant cut me off for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭jos22

I got a tus letter there today. Im only getting 40 euro a week. I wrote back and stated that I am a university honors graduate and I have attended a few interviews, as the job market for what I want to do is almost stagnant, for work in relation to my degree. I also said i did not do 4 years of university to sweep leaves for the council as a lower wage worker. I then went on to say that I have paid over 2,000 euros in fees and the 40 euro a week barely gets me around the country for interviews. I also said I can provide proof of jobs that I have applied and have had interviews for. Surely they cant cut me off for that.

expect a phone call or a letter requesting you to meet with you welfare officer
    where you be told you doing TUS or loosing your dole

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭terryduff12

Garmin wrote: »
    I have just received one of these letters from the social welfare to apply for a position on the Tús programme.

So if I get the €20 euro top up that will push me to €392.40, so do I take it that I will actually only get just €3.30 extra since 4% of €392.40 is €15.69.

Will there be any other deductions? Will I have to pay any tax if I am claiming for my wife and two dependants?
    Was in the same situation as you just finished scheme was getting 360 ended up paying 30 euro tax every week so much for the extra 20 con job.
    You can claim Some of the tax you paid once you finished the scheme

jos22 wrote: »
    on my time sheets I just filled in xmas days etc as a public holiday 8 hours and got the people I work for to sign the sheet and gave it in so I put 24 hours of public holidays for the 3 days over xmas.

Thanks for the reply. Ye I checked with my teamleader and I can use xmas day etc as public holidays so I only need to take 15hrs holidays to get the two weeks off so it's not as bad as I thought :)

Would you not be in a better position by doing the programme? You'd be getting 200euro a week and could still apply for jobs in the area you are qualified for. If you do get a job you are allowed to leave the programme

You'll get an extra 168 per week for 19.5hrs for 52 weeks. And you walk away if you get a job. Dont see the issue myself.
    Garmin wrote: »

Yep, your topup will be all but eroded with PRSI but you should have zero tax implication unless your other half is working and earning a very good wage.
    Was in the same situation as you just finished scheme was getting 360 ended up paying 30 euro tax every week so much for the extra 20 con job.
    You can claim Some of the tax you paid once you finished the scheme
    I'd guess that your tax credits were not proportioned correctly. You should be able to claim back all overpaid taxes.

Just an update on my wife's situation.

She sent her Tús form back a few weeks ago, saying that she has 2 years on a CE Scheme already and is currently doing a Solas Online Course through eCollege.ie (along with a detailed letter from her online tutor).

She then got an invite to a Group Engagement Session this morning. She just rang me there to tell me that everybody that attended this session where people who said "NO" to the Tús Scheme and everybody was given the form again and forced to say "YES" or have their payment stopped.

So much for having a choice if they are going to force people onto the scheme regardless :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement