Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TUS Programme

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Hi Ceecee,

We live in a village and my wife has just finished a Tus scheme.

There were some projects going on in the village. She absolutely loved it and was sorry to leave. She found that they were very flexible with transport. I think for one course they all did there was a bus laid on.

As with all these things though the devil is in the detail. Wait and see what they say. They can't expect you to get a cab for a Tus scheme.

Hope it works out Ceecee.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 215 ✭✭ceecee14

Thank you.Glad your wife liked it. Hoping it works out for me like it did your wife. I'll just have to wait for my interview and hope for the best.
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭bikermartin

Do you have to accept any offer made on this scheme ? Or can you decline location 1 but willing to accept location 2 and 3. And why is there a place on the form for reason of refusal if no reason is accepted to be put on the list for interviews ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Got a letter about these today, I've never heard about them before, anybody here ever do any of these 4 they suggested? Or just know what's involved in them.

Environmental Studies
    Caring Services
    General Community Services
    Heritage and Cultural Services

• Registered Users Posts: 34 fgob

ItsHoggie wrote: »
    Got a letter about these today, I've never heard about them before, anybody here ever do any of these 4 they suggested? Or just know what's involved in them.

Environmental Studies
    Caring Services
    General Community Services
    Heritage and Cultural Services

the party is over im afraid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

Do you have to accept any offer made on this scheme ? Or can you decline location 1 but willing to accept location 2 and 3. And why is there a place on the form for reason of refusal if no reason is accepted to be put on the list for interviews ?

Say you were offered a place at the county dog pound but you are allergic to dogs. Then it would be entirely in order to mention that here. Attach a doctor's note.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,092 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

fgob wrote: »
    the party is over im afraid

There's plenty of unemployed people out there that would not refer to their status as a "party'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭satguy

My year still has 4 months left to run, and I have been asked if I would like to transfer straight from TUS to FAS when my time comes.

I teach PC skills to adults with learning difficulties, and look after the office network, it would cost €40K to replace me. I have said ok, as someone once said, "whats another year"

satguy wrote: »
    My year still has 4 months left to run, and I have been asked if I would like to transfer straight from TUS to FAS when my time comes.

I teach PC skills to adults with learning difficulties, and look after the office network, it would cost €40K to replace me. I have said ok, as someone once said, "whats another year"

You mean transfer straight to a CE scheme? With the same organisation?

dodzy wrote: »
    You mean transfer straight to a CE scheme? With the same organisation?

Not sure, I am on TUS , but had to go to FAS office on Monday to register.

But yes, I am staying with the same organisation..

• Advertisement

satguy wrote: »
    Not sure, I am on TUS , but had to go to FAS office on Monday to register.

But yes, I am staying with the same organisation..

Yeah, seems like they are keen to hold you so they will manipulate the system to transfer you to another scheme. Pretty much "as it was" for you in terms of hours and payment, and you might get an additional 2yrs on top of your Tus 12mth placement. Best of luck in whatever you choose.

dodzy wrote: »
    Yeah, seems like they are keen to hold you so they will manipulate the system to transfer you to another scheme. Pretty much "as it was" for you in terms of hours and payment, and you might get an additional 2yrs on top of your Tus 12mth placement. Best of luck in whatever you choose.

Yes, they said that nothing will change, same hours, same everything.

The Midland HSE have given them a purpose built facility, so we are moving. I packed away all the IT equipment and network gear.
    8 training computers, 8 admin work stations, with 7 networked printers.

If I don't move with them,, I'd still set up the new centre for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭iHateManCity

Hi all..
    I have been on a tus placement for 5 months now..
    I am unhappy with how my employer treats me and I am hoping to transfer to another placement..

I was wondering if anyone who has managed to transfer can tell me about it?
    As in how to go about it and how long it takes?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭yellow76

I've been told that if you move straight From Tus to Ce then you only get 1 year in Ce. Instead of a possible 3 you might get if you are between 35 and 55 yrs? If you sign on for a few weeks in between Tus and CE you will be eligible for the 3 years in CE.

Can anyone confirm or deny?!

yellow76 wrote: »
    I've been told that if you move straight From Tus to Ce then you only get 1 year in Ce. Instead of a possible 3 you might get if you are between 35 and 55 yrs? If you sign on for a few weeks in between Tus and CE you will be eligible for the 3 years in CE.

Can anyone confirm or deny?!
    Initially you could not transition from Tus to CE. Then they shifted the goal posts which allowed a 1yr MAX CE placement following Tus. I know of people that are well into their 2nd year at this stage so he initial "1yr MAX" is waffle. Immediate transfer or lapsing a few weeks makes no difference. It'll be down to the CE supervisor I feel, and how much they want to keep you at the end of the year. There's also a stipulation that you cannot stay in the placement, but you must move to another location to qualify for CE. More waffle, as I've seen the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭KALO

Hi does anyone have experience switching from TUS programme to an internship?
    Been on the TUS for 8 months now and I'm delighted to say I've been offered an internship.
    Any advice would be great.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Daveg.046

Hi Had a letter from Social Protection inviting me to participate in a TUS Programme. So off I went to the interview, I was told that I would have to partisapate in the program for one year and that I would get 208 euro for the 19.5 hours I would work in this program. If I refuse to partisapate I would have to give a good reason why and that I would be cut on my dole payment if I did not partisapate. Of course I said yes because I only get 65 euro dole at the moment and an increase to 208 would make a hell of a difference to my situation. I have now been told by some people that Tus only top up my dole payment by 50 euro.What I want to knowis this true. Also, if I work more then 19.5 hours will I be payed for those hours under the Tus

• Registered Users Posts: 8 richdee

Daveg.046, the minimum you can me paid while on Tús is 208 euros. So your money will increase to that. The 50 euro top up is for Jobsbridge. There is no over time paid while on Tús. If you do extra hours one week, you can reduce your hours the following week.

ihate man city, if you wish to transfer positions while on Tús, you should discuss this with your local supervisor, who may be able to facilitate the move, depending on what vacancies there are in that area.

Kalo, I think you would be better off to finish you year on Tús, and then go on to Jobsbridge. You may have to sign back on for a week or two to qualify for Jobsbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 ELBAOS

Just wondering has anyone done a 2nd tus scheme within the 3 year gap that is mentioned? I did a tus 2 and half years ago and want to do another one now that is available, they initially said I could, said I was starting next week then rang back saying I cant now again as the System will not let them input my details as it has not been 3 years??
    Any info from anyone or anyone been allowed do it within the 3 years??
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭denlaw

can i still get this on tus?, we haven't received any notification on this this year, i'm still smarting about having to pay over €14 on a stamp out of the extra (sic) €20 i get because i'm married....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

denlaw wrote: »
    can i still get this on tus?, we haven't received any notification on this this year, i'm still smarting about having to pay over €14 on a stamp out of the extra (sic) €20 i get because i'm married....

Yes, application forms available now. http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_to_families_and_children/back_to_school_clothing_and_footwear_allowance.html#ld1a9a

ELBAOS wrote: »
    Just wondering has anyone done a 2nd tus scheme within the 3 year gap that is mentioned? I did a tus 2 and half years ago and want to do another one now that is available, they initially said I could, said I was starting next week then rang back saying I cant now again as the System will not let them input my details as it has not been 3 years??
    Any info from anyone or anyone been allowed do it within the 3 years??
    Thanks

3yrs. Not before. Payroll admin (POBAL) will flag it on the system.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Closed for clean up again!!!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Some items of interest from the forum charter.

3. Please be tactful when replying to posts, remember that people are here to seek advice and may be in a very difficult personal situation. Any advice given should be mature, constructive and non-abusive. Excessive sarkiness & bullying will not be tolerated

5. This is not a forum for critiscizing Government Departments or Semi-State Bodies.

5a - 5 includes the policies of the Government Departments of Semi-State Bodies
    Also attack the post not the poster.
    There will be no further warnings/clean ups in this thread any further breaches of the charter will result in bannings (wholesale bannings)

mp22

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

I have been working in a local sports club on a TUS course since November

Have had no complaints, and in fact, many compliments about how hard I was working

Was called in by the local "development agency" who are running TUS and told i am being removed from the position as the club received complaints from some stranger in Belfast about Pro Irish republican comments I made on my facebook page.

I wasn't told or shown what these comments were meant to be so I had no chance to defend myself just moved on now to a different placement

sickened by the way I have been treated, my political views are my own and are not something I have ever taken down to the placement , I am non-sectarian and non-racist and as I said just sickened that my agency didn't at least back me up on this matter just meekly moved me on elsewhere

Can't wait till the whole thing is over now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Ok just got the letter today, been looking for information hopefully someone can help with my questions

- I do not have a driving license & I live in a small town so would they make me go into the city for this? It would mean having to take the bus which is roughly €8 return which I couldn't afford

- I am in the process of gathering information for the back to work enterprise allowance which I would like to start March/April next year ( I've done a start your own business course & spoken to my local enterprise board ) how would this affect it?

- I am claiming for me & the missus. I see I would get €20 a week but is this taxed?

Thanks for your help

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Ok just got the letter today, been looking for information hopefully someone can help with my questions

- I do not have a driving license & I live in a small town so would they make me go into the city for this? It would mean having to take the bus which is roughly €8 return which I couldn't afford

- I am in the process of gathering information for the back to work enterprise allowance which I would like to start March/April next year ( I've done a start your own business course & spoken to my local enterprise board ) how would this affect it?

- I am claiming for me & the missus. I see I would get €20 a week but is this taxed?

Thanks for your help

1. They should arrange a meeting point in your area to avoid you incurring the expense

2. Go to the meeting and tell them your plan. There are plenty that use the BTWEA as an excuse to avoid the programme completely. We hear it all the time. Not saying for one minute that you are not genuine though.

3. Nope, you'll pay no tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Only started TUS 2 months ago and not due to finish until june next year except i just found out im pregnant and due my baby in april and im stressed out over what way my payments are gonna work out like obv have to leave TUS before its meant to finish but does anyone know if im entitled to go back onto the social welfare?? Its stressing me out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Colewalker96

Does anyone know roughly how long after you send back the letter wanting to take the placement when you will be interviewed its been about a month since i said yes and sent the form back and i have heard nothing back. I'd actually like to take this so I can have some expirience , been trying to get a job for 2 years now and everywhere says i need more expirience but how am I meant to get it ?

Does anyone know roughly how long after you send back the letter wanting to take the placement when you will be interviewed its been about a month since i said yes and sent the form back and i have heard nothing back. I'd actually like to take this so I can have some expirience , been trying to get a job for 2 years now and everywhere says i need more expirience but how am I meant to get it ?

From what I've been told you will only get an interview if a suitable job arises.

• Advertisement

It could take months. I sent the letter 7 months ago. I've had two interviews and I'm waiting to start, so basically waiting by the phone for the go ahead. Don't get your hopes up either for a certain job, thought I was getting my dream job and they decided not to take anyone on. So now I've to do something I told them that I was not interested in.

ceecee14 wrote: »
    It could take months. I sent the letter 7 months ago. I've had two interviews and I'm waiting to start, so basically waiting by the phone for the go ahead. Don't get your hopes up either for a certain job, thought I was getting my dream job and they decided not to take anyone on. So now I've to do something I told them that I was not interested in.

Surely they cant force you to do something you don't want to when they could easily find someone else who would like to do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

I had an interview for a ce scheme this week. It only lasted 10 minutes. Is that a bad sign?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Juxtapose

I just got a letter in the post today about the Tús community work placement initiative.
    It says i am required to attend a group information meeting at 10am next Monday morning where they will give me more information about tús etc.

Whats the craic with this? I'm actually going back to college part time this September, is it manditory that i attend this meeting or my JSA will be cut off?

I've worked in the past month, which jba took from my payments, so its not like im actively sitting on my thumbs happy to pick up the dole. Community work placement is not beneficial to me or my line of work. College is the best option for me right now.

Are any of these reason enough to not attend the meeting? They gave an email, should i relay this information or is it best just to turn up and explain to them there?

Juxtapose wrote: »
    I just got a letter in the post today about the Tús community work placement initiative.
    It says i am required to attend a group information meeting at 10am next Monday morning where they will give me more information about tús etc.

Whats the craic with this? I'm actually going back to college part time this September, is it manditory that i attend this meeting or my JSA will be cut off?

I've worked in the past month, which jba took from my payments, so its not like im actively sitting on my thumbs happy to pick up the dole. Community work placement is not beneficial to me or my line of work. College is the best option for me right now.

Are any of these reason enough to not attend the meeting? They gave an email, should i relay this information or is it best just to turn up and explain to them there?
    I would advise ringing them and explain your situation. Tell them that you are happy to meet them in person to discuss. You'll be fine. These people are not barbarians. Genuinely, if you can provide information that you have a plan in place, they will be happy for you and send you on your way, as this programme is not for everyone. Obviously you can appreciate the amount of BS excuses they get on a daily basis from those that are happy to remain on benefits and have no interest in looking for work so they have to make a concerted effort to work with those that have been referred.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Juxtapose

Thanks Dodzy, sound advice.

I'll give them a ring tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭denlaw

Can this be done?
    On a tus at the moment with my local soccer club, apparently tus aren't supplying anyone else after i finish and i believe a ce is going to take its place, I've played and managed with this club man and boy and take pride in keeping it right.. I'm also on the board of management of the club.. Is there a big problem going from one scheme to another..

denlaw wrote: »
    Can this be done?
    On a tus at the moment with my local soccer club, apparently tus aren't supplying anyone else after i finish and i believe a ce is going to take its place, I've played and managed with this club man and boy and take pride in keeping it right.. I'm also on the board of management of the club.. Is there a big problem going from one scheme to another..
    tus to CE is possible. The other way is more difficult. You need to find out who the CE Supervisor is and make contact. Tus to CE is a regular occurrence.

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Surely they cant force you to do something you don't want to when they could easily find someone else who would like to do it

Sher why can't they? If I didn't accept they said my name would be sent back to the department and my money would either be stopped or I'd be forced to do a course, which I can't do, as I have a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bond2012

Hi I just had a tus meeting today and I told them I had a child and they asked me would child care be a problem and I said no, because it's not so I'm thinking if I had said yes they might have sorted something for childcare for me. You will not know unless you go for the meeting, as far as I'm aware if you find a job in the middle of a tus scheme you are entitled to stop tus and go working.

Hi I had a meeting today regarding Tus, can you tell me if there is help towards childcare as I've two teenagers attending school but 3 small ones all under 3and half

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Sher why can't they? If I didn't accept they said my name would be sent back to the department and my money would either be stopped or I'd be forced to do a course, which I can't do, as I have a child.

Why cant you do a course if you have a child? Lots of parents do courses. You would have access to CETS, which you don't have on TUS.

MouseTail wrote: »
    Why cant you do a course if you have a child? Lots of parents do courses. You would have access to CETS, which you don't have on TUS.

I have done two courses so I'm not interested in another course. Tus is only 5 minutes away from my house as a course is over an hour away. Thanks for the information but I'm waiting for a tus placement not a course.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Tomaspol

Hi, i live with my partner and wevegot a 3.5 years old son.
    Im claiming jobseekers allowance and i'm currently on Tus Programme.
    Me and my partner we are about to split, breake and move to separate houses. She is taking our child with her.
    When we split i will have to reapply for the rent allowance.
    I just checked on the citizen information website in regard to the rent allowance while being on TUS and it says :
    'You continue to be entitled to claim Rent Supplement if you were claiming it when you started the scheme"
    But am i entitled to apply for it while being on Tus programme?
    And if yes will my Rent allowance amount be affected because im on TUS ?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 laurenceltic

I received a letter about Tus the other day, i thought if have to be in receipt of social welfare for a year is it? i'm unemployed since January. Question for anyone who went for an interview how long was it until you found a placement?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 laurenceltic

I received a letter about Tus the other day, i thought u have to be in receipt of social welfare for a year is it? i'm unemployed since January. Question for anyone who went for an interview how long was it until you found a placement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

You will get maternity leave for 6 months And paid maternity leave. It depends on your stamps from two years ago how much you will geT. After your maternity leave is up you finish your remaining time on Tus.
    I am pregnant too and stressing for different reasons.
    I have my group interview In two days for Tus. I would like a Tus placement but I'm worried about timing. I doubt I will be placed somewhere before the baby is due in Dec. So I won't get the six months maternity leave. Instead I will probably be placed when baby is only a month or two old.
    Does anyone have experience with this?
    I would like to have six months with my newborn before returning to work.
    I had loads of interviews while being pregnant but no luck.
    It seems unfair that if I got the Tus call earlier I would get the maternity leave but now I could be called anytime after I have the baby and have to start then.

I received a letter about Tus the other day, i thought u have to be in receipt of social welfare for a year is it? i'm unemployed since January. Question for anyone who went for an interview how long was it until you found a placement?
    you need to be in receipt of Jobseeker's Allowance for a continuous period of 12mths to be eligible. You should not have been contacted. I would just send the letter back stating this fact and that will be the end of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭kissmequick

I have done two courses so I'm not interested in another course. Tus is only 5 minutes away from my house as a course is over an hour away. Thanks for the information but I'm waiting for a tus placement not a course.

Perhaps you're referring to an ongoing local Project or something, that you know will be taking on Tús Participants, but just in case ya don't know, there could be 20 minutes or so to travel depending on where ya live.... They'd be grouped by 4/5 areas together so usually there'd be something in in the next Village or couple of Villages over, usually I think the Bosses are accommodating to get ya as near home as is possible, but then it also depends on current Participants finishing up and those Positions would need to be filled too, and they might be a bit further away, but the Bosses well some Bosses anyway accommodate new Participants however they can.

Some peeps might just un-luckily live out of the way too, I do know of 1/2 that would be a good 30 minutes away from any Tús Placements... But Villages are fairly big oule areas too! A couple of areas could be fairly sprawled out like ..... Okay am rambling here now. Anyways was just saying, unless yer just lucky to come on when someone else finished up that suits where you live, or there's an accommodating Boss over-seeing things, - there could be a wee bit of travel involved.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

what happens if i don't do TUS ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭jos22

fryup wrote: »
    what happens if i don't do TUS ??

you would be called to a meeting at your local welfare office.
    where a cut to your payments would likely to be imposed.

Advertisement