Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TUS Programme

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,092 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Mflack, hope it goes to plan for you. Best of luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭MFlack2012

dodzy wrote: »
    Mflack, hope it goes to plan for you. Best of luck :)

Thanks so much :) Wasn't expecting much going in, but the support worker was a gem and had me set up in a job meeting within two days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 VirgoGirl

Didn't go so well for me, I was informed of all the jobs on offer and one stood out in particular that I liked the sound of. But when I went for the "interview" the role was very different and so were the hours. I was told it would be mornings but in fact the supervisor was looking for someone to work afternoons! Wasn't mad about the place and the rest of the staff didn't appear friendly at all. Team leader is trying to find me something else now!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭segosego89

I read last Thursday on the Independent's website that Tús and Gateway are being axed as part of Public Expenditure and Reform Minister Paschal Donohoe's review of Government spending. Also I think Deputy Willie O' Dea mentioned that Tús would be ending based on some report that he received during a recent session in the Committee On Social Protection in the Oireachtas last week. Does anybody know when those schemes would be ending specifically?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

segosego89 wrote: »
    I read last Thursday on the Independent's website that Tús and Gateway are being axed as part of Public Expenditure and Reform Minister Paschal Donohoe's review of Government spending. Also I think Deputy Willie O' Dea mentioned that Tús would be ending based on some report that he received during a recent session in the Committee On Social Protection in the Oireachtas last week. Does anybody know when those schemes would be ending specifically?

Seetec and Turas Nua are proving so effective at getting the long termed unemployed back to work that it's hardly surprising that the schemes will be dispensed with.

• Advertisement

Hi Infogiver, thanks for the response. Just wondering how do people know that Seetec and Turas Nua are so effective? Are there studies available to the general public which suggests there effectiveness?

Would anyone know if it's possible to claim Casual Payment (x&o's) while on Tus Programme? I was on it while working part-time. I am only doing 2.5 days per week work on the programme and am looking for part-time work to boost my income but picking's are slim in my area (Obviously still looking for full time also).

If you look up Tús on Citizens Information it says the following "Participants on Tús can take up other part-time employment provided it does not interfere with the work and times of the Tús work placement. If participants are offered full-time alternative work they may terminate their work placement contract."

If you look up Tús on Citizens Information it says the following "Participants on Tús can take up other part-time employment provided it does not interfere with the work and times of the Tús work placement. If participants are offered full-time alternative work they may terminate their work placement contract."

Yes I I've been made aware of that. I am just wondering if I can claim Casual Work Payment while on Tus to supplement not working the other days until I find part time work.

Oh right I think I understand. That's a good question. I'm not sure. Usually people on Tus work 20 hours a week approximately and they work every weekday or something like that if I'm not mistaken. The fact that you're not working more than 3 days makes me wonder whether you can actually claim Casual Work Payment also whilst being on the scheme. Maybe ring up your Social Welfare office? Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!

• Advertisement

Oh right I think I understand. That's a good question. I'm not sure. Usually people on Tus work 20 hours a week approximately and they work every weekday or something like that if I'm not mistaken. The fact that you're not working more than 3 days makes me wonder whether you can actually claim Casual Work Payment also whilst being on the scheme. Maybe ring up your Social Welfare office? Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!

Thank you for your help :) Yeah, I'm only doing 2.5 days at 19.5 hours per week and it'll be on alternate days each week (e.g mon-wed and wed-fri) so it'll be tough to get part-time work to fit in around for a while. I'm in the office/admin area so shop and retail wouldn't be particularly useful or open to me at the minute. I think because you sign up with Tus they take you off the Welfare though, so I'm not sure if going in to ask them would be of any use. But may have to try it.

No problem! I think SW may still have some involvement even if you're involved in Tús. Yeah no harm to ring them up when you're able to. That's a pity about the alternate days thing in your Tús job - It makes it harder for you to get extra work. Can I ask how do you find your Tús job? Have you been in the job for long?

No problem! I think SW may still have some involvement even if you're involved in Tús. Yeah no harm to ring them up when you're able to. That's a pity about the alternate days thing in your Tús job - It makes it harder for you to get extra work. Can I ask how do you find your Tús job? Have you been in the job for long?

Yeah, no harm to give them a call and see! :) I actually think it may suit me doing the alternate days, they were quite easy going about it. It means getting a four day weekend every two weeks so that's a good point but it might mean a bit of hassle trying to find PT work to fit around it. I got the Tus job straight away when I met with my Tus Advisor, she was super. Had an interview the following week and due to start now on Wednesday. Looking forward to it but was on a lot more in my Casual's job, that just ended a few months ago so will struggle if I can't get supplement/PT Work.

It's good that you're happy with your experience with Tús. Although it's a pity about the PT situation. Perhaps you could organize something with a prospective employer and they can allow you to work different hours every other week so as to not interfere with your Tús job? I can't imagine that you wouldn't be able to get supplementary income support considering a Tús job is no different than any other job and you're not working more than 3 days in that job. Sure get onto SW tomorrow on the phone and they can let you know!

It's good that you're happy with your experience with Tús. Although it's a pity about the PT situation. Perhaps you could organize something with a prospective employer and they can allow you to work different hours every other week so as to not interfere with your Tús job? I can't imagine that you wouldn't be able to get supplementary income support considering a Tús job is no different than any other job and you're not working more than 3 days in that job. Sure get onto SW tomorrow on the phone and they can let you know!

Yes they have said as I'm job-sharing with another Tus Participant that swapping and changing shifts wouldn't be a problem. But they did it this way so we each get the same days off e.g a Fri and Mon every two weeks. I was hoping actually knowing the days of work each week would help in finding PT work but not as of yet.

I have sent a query to SW and Fingers crossed will get a reply back tomorrow or will pop in before my start on Wednesday.

Hopefully they'll get back to you sooner rather than later. Maybe give them a ring if they don't. I hope it works out for you in the end!

Hopefully they'll get back to you sooner rather than later. Maybe give them a ring if they don't. I hope it works out for you in the end!

Many Thanks! :D

One more question? :rolleyes: Sorry!

Anyone know if you've still to attend Obair activation meetings while on TUS Placement? My TUS Advisor says no, but my Obair advisor says yes. As far as I've been made aware, I've been removed from SW and put on TUS Payroll and so I have no obligation etc to attend Obair. Anyone know?

What's "Obair activation"? I've never heard of it. Is that a new scheme?

It's Obair. The monthly meetings are just called 'activation meetings' where you meet an advisor each month for a few minutes to hand them a list of jobs that you've applied for :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No.

Obair has been around a long time. It's also known as the LES local employment service.

They have a number of offices

http://www.localemploymentservices.ie/locations/

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

MFlack2012 wrote: »
    One more question? :rolleyes: Sorry!

Anyone know if you've still to attend Obair activation meetings while on TUS Placement? My TUS Advisor says no, but my Obair advisor says yes. As far as I've been made aware, I've been removed from SW and put on TUS Payroll and so I have no obligation etc to attend Obair. Anyone know?

I wouldnt think you do. When I used obair I was on CE for a year and didnt have to meet the obair people regularly. Ironically enough though I ended up working in the next door office.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Oh right, I didn't know that. Have you explained to the Obhair people that you're on a Tús placement? Maybe just attend the Obhair session to avoid hassle. You don't want your SW payment to be cut! I wonder are the Tús and Gateway administrators cognisant of the fact that those schemes are being closed down this year? I wonder will this have an impact on people currently being put into placement? Considering work placement lasts for 12 months what will happen to those who are just recently being put on the scheme? Will they find out in 6 months time that Tús is closing down and they wont be able to continue their Tús job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Oh right, I didn't know that. Have you explained to the Obhair people that you're on a Tús placement? Maybe just attend the Obhair session to avoid hassle. You don't want your SW payment to be cut! I wonder are the Tús and Gateway administrators cognisant of the fact that those schemes are being closed down this year? I wonder will this have an impact on people currently being put into placement? Considering work placement lasts for 12 months what will happen to those who are just recently being put on the scheme? Will they find out in 6 months time that Tús is closing down and they wont be able to continue their Tús job?

Where did you read that schemes were ending this year as i thought it was internships were gone. Be some loss to councils to get rid of gateway as they will have actual workers to clean the streets.

I informed them on the last meeting a month ago. I am not on a SW payment now as TUS cuts you off SW and puts you on a TUS Payroll, meaning TUS pay you.

I haven't heard anything about the schemes being closed or anything about the placements being cut short. I do know that my advisor only took me on and she'll be off in two months to a different department. I've heard stories like this also on other TUS Participants. Could very well be that the schemes are being fazed out.

votecounts wrote: »
    Where did you read that schemes were ending this year as i thought it was internships were gone. Be some loss to councils to get rid of gateway as they will have actual workers to clean the streets.
    Hi there,

During a recent Committee On Social Protection in the Oireachtas last week, Deputy Willie O' Dea mentioned a report released recently that said Tús and Gateway were being axed due to budgetary concerns.

Also I read about it in this article : http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/fundamental-back-to-work-schemes-face-axe-under-budget-spending-review-35436463.html

Yes, you're correct in saying that Jobsbridge has been axed. Yet Minister Varadkar mentioned in the Dail a couple of months ago that he intends to replace it with something else at some stage. Also a new activation scheme called Jobspath has been rolled out across the country over the last year or two. I think this is supposed to replace Tus, Gateway et al in some way but I'm not sure. Jobspath consists of two private companies(Seetec and Turas Nua) who are responsible for getting people back into work apparently. They are paid a commission when people have been put into employment etc. There's been cases where people have been put into employment that they personally consider unsuitable but they have no choice and face sanctions if they turn it down. There's been mostly positive feedback from the scheme but at the same time there's been 100's of complaints about it recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭schizo1014

Hi I don't know if this is the right place to post this but I recently started a TUS scheme but noticed I'm getting deducted €10 tax every week, is this normally the case?

schizo1014 wrote: »
    Hi I don't know if this is the right place to post this but I recently started a TUS scheme but noticed I'm getting deducted €10 tax every week, is this normally the case?

HI,

I'm in the same boat. My Tus advisor said It's emergency tax and once the documents go through to the tax office, that they sent off, I will get it back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭schizo1014

HI,

I'm in the same boat. My Tus advisor said It's emergency tax and once the documents go through to the tax office, that they sent off, I will get it back.

Thanks for the reply, I was thinking it was something like that alright. Good to know we get it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,092 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

schizo1014 wrote: »
    HI,

Just to clarify the tax situation folks. You are correct; in the majority of cases, you will not be paying tax on a Tus payment.

The €10 per week is common and stems from a person that was in receipt of €188 per week on JA. When they stsrt Tus, they move to the minimum payment of €210.50 per week.

If a spouse is working, they, in many cases, have at some point been awarded full credits to minimise their PAYE exposure leaving the partner with a baseline €1650 credit for the year. This figure when spread over the year works out at weekly credit of €32 per week.

To calculate weekly tax due, simply take 20% of the €210.50 and subtract the weekly credit:

210.50-20%=42
    42-32(weekly tax credit)= 10

You will get it rebated in many cases but in situations where a spouse's credit is reduced in order to increase yours, then it will be week 1 for the year. This in effect will mean you will not get the rebate(week 1 basis) but from the time the credit is reapportioned, you will then be tax free . You can claim any tax paid once you have completed the programme or in January of the following year, whichever comes first.

Note: The new system requires all people to register for PAYE online, receive a PIN, then enter their employment details. A bit more complicated for some compared to the old system where you simply rang up and spoke to an actual person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Asking for a friend who is on gateway, what were the changes that were announced yesterday by the the minister or were there any? don't have time to spend ages searching as i'm at work

Asking for a friend who is on gateway, what were the changes that were announced yesterday by the the minister or were there any? don't have time to spend ages searching as i'm at work
    Hi,

The Minister for Social Protection talked about the future of Tús and Gateway in the Dail on the 23rd of February.
    You can hear what he says by going to the link that I've provided and skipping to the video at 2:33:04.
    He is asked a Parliamentary Question by Deputy O' Dea regarding the future of labour activation schemes.

The Minister said that he is bringing a memorandum(a guidance of operations) to the government in the next few weeks. My impression is that there may be a possibility that the schemes are to be either scaled down or discontinued but Varadkar was a bit vague with his response to be honest. There were reports in the media a few weeks ago that Paschal Donohue wants to axe the schemes to save money for the next budget.
    My personal feeling is that there's a tacit understanding in the government that the JobPath scheme is going to replace Tús and Gateway.

Here's the link: http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=34661&&CatID=130

Is this what you were looking for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭myappeal

Hi segosego89,

Just picking up on something you said:

My personal feeling is that there's a tacit understanding in the government that the JobPath scheme is going to replace Tús and Gateway.

Do you think that the DSP will seek to use time on TUS and Gateway as allowable 'training' time for the purpose of JobPath? Given JobPath is a pay-by-result employment support, placement on a TUS/Gateway type post would not attract any payment for the JobPath provider.

myappeal wrote: »
    Hi segosego89,

Just picking up on something you said:

Do you think that the DSP will seek to use time on TUS and Gateway as allowable 'training' time for the purpose of JobPath? Given JobPath is a pay-by-result employment support, placement on a TUS/Gateway type post would not attract any payment for the JobPath provider.
    To be honest I don't know much about what people in JobPath specifically have to do? I know that they have to attend meetings etc. Must they take courses etc?
    I'm not sure I understand your question:
    Are you asking whether a person who is currently on a Tús placement will be allowed to use their time spent on Tús as time spent on JobPath?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭myappeal

Hi,

Sorry for any confusion... the myriad of schemes and options makes things complicated... even at the best of times.

Just thinking that it might be an issue for JobPath to be used replace TUS/Gateway given that Jobpath only lasts for 12 months. In order to engage with Jobpath the person must be on Jobseekers payment and its a pay-by-result.

The jobpath provider will not get paid for putting somebody on TUS/Gateway as its not employment, if they seek to use jobpath to replace TUS/Gateway there would have to be jobs to put them in at the end of the jobpath engagement or else the provider will not get paid.

I suppose its similar to the logic regarding Jobpath and community employment, given CE is not a job, Jobpath does not place people on CE and could not replace CE given their differing roles.

myappeal wrote: »
    Hi,

Sorry for any confusion... the myriad of schemes and options makes things complicated... even at the best of times.

Just thinking that it might be an issue for JobPath to be used replace TUS/Gateway given that Jobpath only lasts for 12 months. In order to engage with Jobpath the person must be on Jobseekers payment and its a pay-by-result.

The jobpath provider will not get paid for putting somebody on TUS/Gateway as its not employment, if they seek to use jobpath to replace TUS/Gateway there would have to be jobs to put them in at the end of the jobpath engagement or else the provider will not get paid.

I suppose its similar to the logic regarding Jobpath and community employment, given CE is not a job, Jobpath does not place people on CE and could not replace CE given their differing roles.
    Apologies, I didn't mean that Jobpath would replace the Tús scheme in a way in which the Jobpath people would be responsible for putting people into jobs similar to the ones provided by Tús. I meant it would replace Tús in the way that it is supposed to get people back to work. Sorry for not being clear about what I meant!

Tús was created during a time where jobs were not plentiful but now that the economy has picked up the government came up with the Jobpath scheme which is a system that is supposed to push people on the live register into private sector jobs.

The point of Jobpath is to put people into jobs available in the private sector rather than jobs that are supplied by the state(CE schemes etc).

The idea is that Tús and Gateway will be abolished and it will be the responsibility of the Local Authority to hire people for work related to the council. It's the responsibility of the council to hire people to work in jobs that would have had been dealt with by the Tús scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

anyone on the this scheme, be able to give an insight what jobs are available on this or is the same crowd that i see picking up litter in the town of carlow as an example

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    anyone on the this scheme, be able to give an insight what jobs are available on this or is the same crowd that i see picking up litter in the town of carlow as an example

There are many jobs available under the scheme if you are willing to work and see it as experience. If you are educated and looking for work in a particular role, I had a job lined up within minutes of speaking with the advisor. If you are uneducated in a particular role, I've heard it can take a week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

if you have a TUS job lined up but also a CE scheme interview in the same week, which one should you give preference to. On a side note for the interview would shirt and trousers be suitable or would a suit be essential
    Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    if you have a TUS job lined up but also a CE scheme interview in the same week, which one should you give preference to. On a side note for the interview would shirt and trousers be suitable or would a suit be essential
    Thanks in advance

A CE scheme

TUS is for one year and after that you have to go
    Ce is at first for one year with the possibility ( if both parties want to ) extend it for another year or more

You can go for TUS first with a chance to move afterwards to CE but from CE to TUS is not possible
    I'm almost finished on TUS and already asked for a CE scheme with the option to go on with it for 6 years

Does anyone know if Basic Supplementary Allowance is available for those on TUS? Financially very unstable while doing my TUS placement. Continuously looking for full time and even part time to supplement my earnings but am struggling to find anything. Have consistently requested help from TUS but receiving only 'Send me your CV and I'll see what changes we can make'. Have already been through all this with Obair, my CV is not the problem.

Does anyone know if Basic Supplementary Allowance is available for those on TUS? Financially very unstable while doing my TUS placement. Continuously looking for full time and even part time to supplement my earnings but am struggling to find anything. Have consistently requested help from TUS but receiving only 'Send me your CV and I'll see what changes we can make'. Have already been through all this with Obair, my CV is not the problem.

What is your income from TUS and what other income has your family?

infogiver wrote: »
    What is your income from TUS and what other income has your family?

€215.50, no other income, mature lady.

€215.50, no other income, mature lady.

If your living on your own then you have 24.50 in excess of SWA for someone in your circumstances.
    I'm sorry your finding it hard to manage.
    Have you rent or mortgage?

If your living on your own then you have 24.50 in excess of SWA for someone in your circumstances.
    I'm sorry your finding it hard to manage.
    Have you rent or mortgage?

Thankfully, no. But I have loans outstanding from my schooling, car and other bills. By the time my bills are paid, I've very little to live on.

Thankfully, no. But I have loans outstanding from my schooling, car and other bills. By the time my bills are paid, I've very little to live on.

If your having difficulty with bills, have you talked to MABS?

If your having difficulty with bills, have you talked to MABS?

I haven't talked to anyone yet as I've been trying to get even part time work to supplement the placement. Tax and insurance is due though in the next few weeks and pretty much screwed at that stage. I was hoping Tus could help find something well before now, but it doesn't look likely. Will have a look into MABS. Never dealt with them before.

I haven't talked to anyone yet as I've been trying to get even part time work to supplement the placement. Tax and insurance is due though in the next few weeks and pretty much screwed at that stage. I was hoping Tus could help find something well before now, but it doesn't look likely. Will have a look into MABS. Never dealt with them before.

MABS will help you to organise your debts into a manageable amount every week. Contact them tomorrow.

MABS will help you to organise your debts into a manageable amount every week. Contact them tomorrow.

Unfortunately MABS is only to discuss how to spread your payments etc. Doesn't suit my needs. I know how to stretch my money, but don't have enough of it to stretch as far as it needs to. After my bills, I've less than €10 per week for necessities.

Can you explain, are TUS supposed to actually be helping to find and place you in suitable jobs while on the programme? I mean surely, they're supposed to at least help you find part time work while on your placement.

• Advertisement
Advertisement