Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TUS Programme

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 uncleseano

So did she called up for the interview and afterwards they offered her a position?

If so you need a totally airtight reason for refusal or I imagine she'll get docked.

Airtight reasons being 'hey you can work at this petrol station' - answer 'I am alergic to petrol fumes and will die on contact, here is my doctors note'

• Registered Users Posts: 29 decky84

uncleseano wrote: »
    So did she called up for the interview and afterwards they offered her a position?

If so you need a totally airtight reason for refusal or I imagine she'll get docked.

Airtight reasons being 'hey you can work at this petrol station' - answer 'I am alergic to petrol fumes and will die on contact, here is my doctors note'

She got called for interview but hasn't physically gone to it yet. Doesn't want to either and she is stressing out now. Its not as if she hasn't been looking for a position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

decky84 wrote: »
    She got called for interview but hasn't physically gone to it yet. Doesn't want to either and she is stressing out now. Its not as if she hasn't been looking for a position.

If she is suffering from stress and can’t go to interviews for jobs then she can’t get JSA until she is better.
    She needs to go to her GP and get a Illness Benefit cert.
    She needs to fill that in and submit it to SW. If she hasn’t enough PRSI to get Illness Benefit then she can go to the CWO and get a SWA.
    If she’s living with you then she will be means tested against your income.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 uncleseano

Yup.. the catch is if you aren't able to go to TuS then you aren't able to work or something so they'll drop or lower your JSA. Though I'd love to hear from someone who has actually had that happen to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

i see this a lot now on this thread and similar topics.what's there to stress about ? last couple pages clearly go into basically all info what to expect, its not like your going for 30k job here. dress appropriately bring any prof of looking for job any qualifications she might have and show up and talk.

then come back here and if it was totally bad or dead end go on from there. its silly to make conclusions about smth that one only reads and didnt attempted to do.

couple things i learned while being unemployed always do smth educate yourself if theres no jobs going your side or other issues ecollege.ie springboard covers a lot do do on spare time , always dress professionally doesnt matter if its intreo calling you or likes of TUS or job interview.

In my case i went full above and actually had a really good reason why im not in a job and looking for specific role and once they looked over what ive been doing on my spare time CV, there was a pause at the end that i was overqualified for anything they had going until i opened my mouth and mentioned i could do some low key stuff, since as said many times it beats being on the dole constantly.

and then if she gets offered smth like scrubbing floor or some charity dead end job she might refuse and go on from there, since as explained above, once people are picked for TUS its matter of weeks before likes of seetec and others will be on to her as well.

I know once i read from 1st page to my interview i had mixed feelings about it as well, but i wasnt working for well over a year, and had other issues thus i had nothing to lose, even if i was do decline any offers they had i still wasn't looking at major loss in general as had bigger things in my head to worry about.

• Advertisement

uncleseano wrote: »
    Yup.. the catch is if you aren't able to go to TuS then you aren't able to work or something so they'll drop or lower your JSA. Though I'd love to hear from someone who has actually had that happen to them

Think i covered that as well, if one really wants to dodge have a mad night out before the interview, or sit besides someone smoking joint, and you prob wont hear from them again. what would follow is true i think its cuts on the dole every few weeks, or getting refereed to likes of seetec and final cut off.then 3 months later you go back and sign on again if one wants to have such life/future.

scamalert wrote: »
    Think i covered that as well, if one really wants to dodge have a mad night out before the interview, or sit besides someone smoking joint, and you prob wont hear from them again. what would follow is true i think its cuts on the dole every few weeks, or getting refereed to likes of seetec and final cut off.then 3 months later you go back and sign on again if one wants to have such life/future.

They are catching up with everyone now so if it’s not TUS it’s a CE Scheme Jobpath Seetec Turas Nua etc take your pick but no one escapes.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭redshoes15

Why does your partner not want to attend her meeting with Tús? If she has been looking for employment and has not found anything maybe there’s a reason why, gap in employment would be the first thing that comes to mind. Maybe taking part on the programme would fill the gap and assist her in picking up employment. As far as I’m aware all Tús participants are encouraged to keep
    looking for employment while on the programme. Certainly can’t hurt can it?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Conor1974

Hi,
    I’m a stay at home dad looking to go back to work for the first time in 8 years.
    Have never received sw in that time and was wondering which department do I contact in order to get me back in the workforce.Everything I read about tus and seetec is that you have to be on jsa for 12 months.Any information greatly appreciated.
    Tia

Conor1974 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I’m a stay at home dad looking to go back to work for the first time in 8 years.
    Have never received sw in that time and was wondering which department do I contact in order to get me back in the workforce.Everything I read about tus and seetec is that you have to be on jsa for 12 months.Any information greatly appreciated.
    Tia
    Your first move is to sign on for JSA, which is means tested so you might get nothing depending on your financial circumstances. The SW office or your local CIC will help you investigate what schemes you qualify for. You don’t have to be 12 months to be referred to TN/Seetec.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Now,I just had my TUS interview this morning. In fairnest,very nice people to talk to. Easy going,they were impressed with my CV and skills I already got. Told me it would a shame for me to "swipe the footpaths" and they have a "perfect position" in a local Archives office, restoring pictures etc. All great, matching my skills and degree that I got. BUT...Few weeks ago I started looking into Back to Work Allowance, opening my own business. I went to few meetings about it, applied for Start Your Own Business Course and all. I did mentioned that to TUS ppl this morning. I showed very detailed business plan. I also told them that I believe starting my own business would be much more beneficial for me, at least in 2years time I might have a successful business etc.rather than coming back to them in 12mths time asking for JA once again....Doesn't make sense to me at all. Even if you look at the financial part of it. During those 2years they would pay me less than during my placement,and then another JA...(I'm not thinking of applying for those 'grants' available-too much hassle to get them anyways,plus I don't need them). Now. They agreed with my logic,but said I should give it a go for at least 3mths, and then move on to BTWA. Did anyone done it??? Or are they just trying to lurk me into it? Surely it's a scheme that runs for 12 mths,right??? I do have a small baby,so working from home doing my own business would be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

Anyone finish one of these recently?
    What do you need to sign back on if am not offered full time work.

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    Anyone finish one of these recently?
    What do you need to sign back on if am not offered full time work.
    3 years on the dole to pass if im correct to be eligible again, but question is dont you want proper work, since you sound like someone has to hand it to you :confused: , as from my experience its ok for 3 months or so and maybe for those who are above 50+ or never worked in their life but for someone skilled its like getting cleaning job 20h a week and youd make way more,by the end of the week, then the extra plus 27 quid now that goes out the window for fuel food, and time spent doing f all really, not judging but any low skill no brains job could be easily replaced by tus offering full time employment instead.

Just to add my experience its total grind, they do cover few training courses etc but its really useless in larger scheme, likes of BTWA or further higher level education where you get to keep dole for a while is way to go, to get out from the bottom of the 200e a week handout for doing charity support work at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Hmmmmm?

Tus turns what could be a full time high paying taxable job into 4 or 5 very low paying nontaxable jobs
    then to add to it the cost of paying tus to oversee it all

turas nua only purpose is to breath over your shoulder when you are looking for a job essentially what the social welfare office is being payed for
    turas nua is less than 18% effective and most of that is people trying to get away from turas nua

and when you do get a job no thanks to turas nua
    and you don't tell them

they will stalk you to find out where you work so they can tell the government they got you the job so they can get payed for it

the course's they offer are a scam
    the useful information that makes up all the courses
    will barely fill a pamphlet
    but they still get 7 to 12 2to3 hour courses from that info by packing them with brain teasers and optical illusions
    **** like what can you put in a box that will make it lighter
    the answer is holes

and there mandatory confidence training course where if you have the confidence to refuse the course you get
    punished by getting your dole cut or just getting off the dole

and tanks to turas nua i have the pleasure of dealing with a nigerian prince who relay wants to share his millions with me
    and i found out that my family is getting target by a serial killer at least that is what it looks like judging by all the rich distant relatives that are dropping dead i hope i am not next

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Hmmmmm? wrote: »
    and tanks to turas nua i have the pleasure of dealing with a nigerian prince who relay wants to share his millions with me

:confused: really can you elaborate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

fryup wrote: »
    :confused: really can you elaborate

I haven't a clue what the hell they were talking about either :confused:

well that one post def drifted into abyss, my guess OPs email was leaked trough job searching and hes getting scam emails now.

Thou having finished entire year of TUS the biggest flaw i seen is massive expenditure for those running the scheme you have about 5-10 top tier paid people, now dealing with tus was a breeze really they do look out for you and want you to make smth out of yourself be it training or extra support in getting job.

the main issue thou is placements offered some of them as mentioned could easily be turned into full paid jobs, but none the less its EU money laundry, many places that take TUS participants receive huge grants, they have few people on full time and equal amount of free labor that is still paid by the government and EU funding, worst i think that many of those places should undergo massive inspections as some in their jobs are cozy for 10-20 years raking in benefits left and right and do feck all besides moaning how bad it is. Been in some toxic environment on my placement and glad im off the hook with them schemes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Redish

FTI, when you get the letter for TUS it says if you say no to this your benefits will be cut. Say yes and send that in. Wait for the next one that says the next thing and see how that goes. It's against EU law to cut your benefits unless you agree to it. So if it says you will be cut say yes, if them words are not in it don't sign yes. If you do go for a meeting and they ask u 2 sign something ask to look at the part where it says if you don't sign you will be cut. If the part where if you don't sign you will be cut isn't in there don't sign it.

Don't sign anything that does not say if you don't sign this you will be cut is my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭redarmy

Redish wrote: »
    Don't sign anything that does not say if you don't sign this you will be cut is my advice.
    ????

• Advertisement

If you have questions pm me. I know the law on this in a non direct way. ask if u want i'm online ones a day so will see within 48 hours at the worst.

What u want 2 know?

When you get a letter that says sign it unless you will be cut sign that one. If you are in a position to sign anything from there on make sure u see that if u dont sign it will cause a cut. If it dont say cut dont sign easy. Watch what that does to the situation.

FYI I have had 2 calls for TUS and i signed the letter at the start and never turned up. Say yes in letters and do nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I have been on a TUS placement that didn't go according to plan and I am leaving the scheme early by mutual agreement and am going back on JSA. Intreo are treating this as a fresh claim and are not simply reactivating my previous JSA claim which I was on before I signed up for TUS. This surprises me because I was told by TUS that my old JSA claim would be reactivated once the year was up should I not have gained full-time employment in the meantime.

Now I know I didn't complete the full year but in the case generally if one had is it normal procedure that if one goes back on JSA is it standard procedure for them to threat this like a fresh claim which necessitates providing a fair bit of documentation and form filling and so on?

FYI I signed up for TUS voluntarily as I had just completed a year long springboard course which had a module of work-experience and I though TUS could find me a placement that would fulfill my college course obligations as they promised at the outset but they didn't. Long story, wasn't completely their fault the way it panned out.

A secondary question is, my JSA claim forms are asking me to state what I was doing up to the point of new claim. Do I threat my period on TUS as if it were actual employment in which case I'd have to provide a P45 etc. And if so will TUS send me out a P45?

once you do a year on Tus you get p45 from them.

that said its a bit unclear if you reached mutual agreement that you didnt work out for scheme did you not get told by whoever supervised you that youll get everything sorted out ?

As once year is up couple weeks before finishing you get your papers for WF office to sign back up where you left of if you didnt get any job etc. and week or two later you get p45- if you last all year that was mine experience.

A bit naive thinking that they could get placement for you thou, its free labor at best.

how long did you stay on it and what was wrong if you dont mind me asking- as in my experience they dont usually let people off it aside good reason and usually if one place doesnt work they will work to find something else, as mine was total crap hole, supervisor thou was supportive but placement itself was toxic, thou became friends with few people that were on same scheme as well,so not all bad but monkey brain grind at best the work you have to do.

and yeah its considered as employment as you get weekly payslips.Just find it strange they didnt give you any paper to bring back to social if you had agreed its not working out, i get theres contract but there should be some clause to let you of the hook without completing entire year.

Now you having to apply again could raise some questions why'd you left so id speak to whoever was ur TUS supervisor to see what's the story, about ending placement and how it works, in your case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

scamalert, I wanted to keep my post as brief as possible. TUS has provided a letter for Intreo which explains everything, and she has been in touch with them herself by email as well so I've no concerns about finishing early. None of that issues is really why I posted here.

As for me being naive, I had a solid agreement with TUS that I would only undertake a placement if it matched my college obligations. I was under no pressure whatsoever to take it by them or by Intreo - as I said I took up the placement voluntarily. What actually happened is that the placement business which is Pobal funded offered me a role and when I worked for then it turned out they expected me to fill a role that was not what was originally offered , to my disgust, because this meant it wasn't suitable for my college work-experience module. I don't wish to say anything more about it than that. Again that issue is not why I posted here, I was just providing a little bit of context. Maybe I was naive to trust the employer which is maybe what you meant but it's wasn't TUS's fault is my point.

Thanks for the info about the P45, at least I can fill out the forms in the right way now for my meeting with Intreo tomorrow.

well i didn't mean anything bad by saying naive.

Anyway it makes sense for you to have to fill all the forms again, as what you explained now makes more sense, since you volunteered yourself and its not suiting you and both parties agreeing, means you leave TUS but since year hasn't passed they cant issue you with letter to put you back as you were on JSA thus the hassle with filling all the details all over again as if you were to sign the first time.

Since when you take up TUS they take you off the system from JSA-SW completely for the year and reinstate that once you completed it.

Just give your details as employed rest can be explained with letter and in the office if they will ask for reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Brian99Brian

I just got forced into accepting a role on Tus which wasn't in the line of work I asked for.
    The guy on the phone was really pushy and gave me 3 options none of which was the kinda thing I said I wanted.
    I explained this but he was really insistent and said he'd get started on the paperwork immediately.

• Advertisement

I just got forced into accepting a role on Tus which wasn't in the line of work I asked for.
    The guy on the phone was really pushy and gave me 3 options none of which was the kinda thing I said I wanted.
    I explained this but he was really insistent and said he'd get started on the paperwork immediately.

They don’t really care. Their only reason for existing is to get people to broaden their horizons and accept any job.

They don’t really care. Their only reason for existing is to get people to broaden their horizons and accept any job.

Thats my impression of it now alright, I worry Ill be like a fish out of water cause Im not very DIY inclined

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭jeffk

Ah the aul take any job

I got
    Take any job, no, found one suited, didnt work out
    Back to take any job, no, lose 9 weeks dole, almost 2K,took any job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Thats my impression of it now alright, I worry Ill be like a fish out of water cause Im not very DIY inclined

Start, fake an injury and go on the sick.

The absolute cheek of them expecting people to work. It’s unbelievable. 19 1/2 whole hours? Every week? Sure that’s inhumane! They think that people are mugs. Fake an injury, go out sick, and sue the arse off them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭jeffk

splinter65 wrote: »
    The absolute cheek of them expecting people to work. It’s unbelievable. 19 1/2 whole hours? Every week? Sure that’s inhumane! They think that people are mugs. Fake an injury, go out sick, and sue the arse off them.

Have you been on these schemes before?

Do you call sitting on a couch drinking coffee watching Jeremy Kyle work :confused:

• Advertisement

well to be fair TUS isn't there to give you a job that you'd like.

whats wrong with one you were given or offered ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Derek!

jeffk wrote: »
    Have you been on these schemes before?

Do you call sitting on a couch drinking coffee watching Jeremy Kyle work :confused:

You get what you pay for in this life.. so a euro an hour more than most were getting already minus the bus fare costs that sounds about right

well to be fair TUS isn't there to give you a job that you'd like.

whats wrong with one you were given or offered ?

Well I wouldn't apply for a job I was unable to do on my own so I shouldn't have to with Tus either.

Nice to know I have options if it doesn't work out lol

Well I wouldn't apply for a job I was unable to do on my own so I shouldn't have to with Tus either.

If there’s a genuine reason why you cannot do the job, then you just show them the proof and you don’t have to do it.

• Advertisement

If there’s a genuine reason why you cannot do the job, then you just show them the proof and you don’t have to do it.

Theres no major reason other than the fact I've never been good at fixing things which is what I expect part of the caretaker job might involve..
    Guess I'll have to just stick it out for a year now that the pushy guy has the ball rolling on it

Theres no major reason other than the fact I've never been good at fixing things which is what I expect part of the caretaker job might involve..
    Guess I'll have to just stick it out for a year now that the pushy guy has the ball rolling on it

Schemes like this can be a good learning curve. Learn what you can and do any training available. You never know but you might surprise yourself by enjoying the challenge.

Schemes like this can be a good learning curve. Learn what you can and do any training available. You never know but you might surprise yourself by enjoying the challenge.

Yea that's true.. I'll at least hear them out at the placement meeting on Thursday anyway..

Does anyone know if people on Tus get the extra €5 per week or is that just for jobseekers?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 stigy919

I got a letter last week asking would I be interested in taking part in the Tus scheme and I said yes. It would be good to get out of the house for a couple of hours a day. But today I got a call from Seetec to attend a Jobpath joint information session on Tuesday. Will being called up to Jobpath affect me being able to take a place on Tus as I haven't gone to any meeting with Tus yet. The person who called me said to go to the information session and explain it to them but im afraid once I go i'll be stuck with them and not be able to take a Tus placement. I was with jobpath for a year before and it was a complete waste of time.

stigy919 wrote: »
    I got a letter last week asking would I be interested in taking part in the Tus scheme and I said yes. It would be good to get out of the house for a couple of hours a day. But today I got a call from Seetec to attend a Jobpath joint information session on Tuesday. Will being called up to Jobpath affect me being able to take a place on Tus as I haven't gone to any meeting with Tus yet. The person who called me said to go to the information session and explain it to them but im afraid once I go i'll be stuck with them and not be able to take a Tus placement. I was with jobpath for a year before and it was a complete waste of time.

problem is once SW pick out people from what i recall, TUS and other schemes get your details as well so its matter of who will get to you first. I think that if you get invited for Seetec first that nulls out TUS programme, as they would have higher priority go figure, someone else might correct me on that, but its a tricky one.

problem is once SW pick out people from what i recall, TUS and other schemes get your details as well so its matter of who will get to you first. I think that if you get invited for Seetec first that nulls out TUS programme, as they would have higher priority go figure, someone else might correct me on that, but its a tricky one.

Yeah I didnt actually get any invite from TUS themselves. Just a letter from the SW asking would I be willing to take part in TUS. I'm gonna call in to them on monday and see what they say. Hopefully i'll still be able to take a TUS placement

stigy919 wrote: »
    Yeah I didnt actually get any invite from TUS themselves. Just a letter from the SW asking would I be willing to take part in TUS. I'm gonna call in to them on monday and see what they say. Hopefully i'll still be able to take a TUS placement
    thats the way it works they send letter from SW which you cant basically refuse for interview.

that said tell TUS that you got called by Seetec as they probably wont know it, as with Tus getting placement can take a while from several weeks to couple months.

thats the way it works they send letter from SW which you cant basically refuse for interview.

that said tell TUS that you got called by Seetec as they probably wont know it, as with Tus getting placement can take a while from several weeks to couple months.

Yeah if I get called for an interview to tús I'll let them know. Hopefully I do.

I don't mind going to seetec it's just that I don't drive and it's about a 30min drive from were I live with no public transport and the last guy had me coming in 3 or 4 days a week to job search. Ended up getting cut off for 9 weeks cause I couldnt get a lift for some appointments and he reported me to SW

• Registered Users Posts: 27 S4albarn

So is there any way of getting out of this?

I want to go back to college on Springboard in September unless I find a suitable job before then. I have no desire to go to work in the local GAA club or wherever Tús sends you.

If you reject the invitation, will the weekly payment be reduced or cut completely? Will there be a follow up letter or is this the only time they earn you that your payment may be affected?

Should I write that I am interested in alternative schemes like springboard or seetec on the comment space?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Trevor777

Hi all,
    I was wondering how a transfer from one Tus placement to another works? as in how much time and stuff?

Im about 3 weeks into mine but between the crowds in the hall and being expected to clean up the litter around the area near a busyish road, my anxiety levels have sky rocketed.
    I need the money so I cant just stop going before anyone suggests it lol.

• Advertisement
Advertisement