Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TUS Programme

Comments

I got this letter recently. I cannot see them offering me anything suitable or useful. I am going to return the letter and not accept their "offer".

Is it likely that I will be sanctioned?

Why not go and see what they have to offer. You just might get the help you need to find a job or retrain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Hmmmmm?

i was sent to Tus and refused a GAA job but after i signed.
    they flipped out and threatened to cut my dole i complained to the dole office
    about there attitude
    they sent me back to turas nua
    not that big of a deal in the end just don't let them push you around

IF YOU GET A JOB WHEN YOU ARE WITH THRAS NUA DON'T LET THEM KNOW THEY WILL TAKE CREDIT REGARDLESS IF THEY HELPED OR NOT
    TURAS NUA IS A SCAM WITH THERE FAKE COURSES THAT SHOULD NOT QUALIFY AS COURSES

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Hmmmmm?

you will not get **** from Tus that is not what they do
    it is cheap labor closer to slave labor than a real job
    Tus take good full time high paying taxable jobs and and turn them into 4 to 5 extremely low paying nontaxable jobs
    i can get the cleaning up a little trash or painting a gazebo to make a park look good but taking care of GAA fields or Charity shops
    they are more than capable of making money to pay a worker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

i had mixed experience with TUS.
    the supervisor was great in all regards and put me trough ton of training certs- one would usually have to pay for, thus some benefit and also it cut into placement days so made experience more durable.

thou working with c^nts that see this as easy free fckn help was most draining part. As some snobs in places see you as slave for them.

As OP who said he wont bother, id say go but pick carefully or even make **** up if needed to land smth that takes least of time and responsibilities. Until you sort yourself out with proper job.

also if you do accept any placement talk with person who does it or other people in same place on TuS to get good perspective, this will go far if placement is total dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭laurey

Redish wrote: »
    FYI I have had 2 calls for TUS and i signed the letter at the start and never turned up. Say yes in letters and do nothing

Are you saying to ignore the tus letter? Surely tus would inform social welfare no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I’ve just finished my TUS scheme. Really felt it was a massive waste of time and now I’ve signed back on and their telling me it will be 3-4 weeks until my payment comes through as there’s a huge backlog. Which is disgraceful I was told going back into JSA would be seamless. I havnt been paid Nearly 2 weeks and I’m completely broke. I’m also wondering will I lose my Christmas bonus this year as you have to be on JSA for 15 months to qualify?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭segosego89

laurey wrote: »
    Are you saying to ignore the tus letter? Surely tus would inform social welfare no?
    In my experience the system eventually places those who refuse to accept Tús placements on a 9 week payment suspension. So for example, if you received two or three letters from Tús and didn't engage with them, you might think that you're okay for a few months because nothing has happened to your payment but then you might get a nasty surprise randomly one week when you visit the post office to collect your payment and find that the clerk behind the counter says there's nothing there for you. That's the DSP's indirect way of telling you that your payment has now been suspended because you didn't engage with the Tús letters.

Then obviously you'll have to contact your local welfare office and ask why you couldn't collect your payment in the post office for that week and you'll have to go through the unpleasant scenario of dealing with an angry clerk in the social welfare office who has to explain to you that your payment was suspended because you didn't engage with the Tús people. The people in the office might be able to reinstate your payment(JSA etc) but that will be only be a temporary reinstatement. It's implied but not explicitly explained to you that in order to reinstate your payment fully you will have to respond to the letters and take up a Tús placement.

Also if you live outside of a city or town and you're used to collecting your payment in a post office that's located in a rural or semi rural area they will force you to collect your next payment(the first payment that you receive after getting your payment temporarily reinstated) in the main post office that's located either in the nearest big town or the nearest big city depending on where you live. This is just the DSP sending you another message that you must engage with the Tús people. The way the system is set up is a bit ungraceful but that's the way it is.

I'm a bit surprised that there is not more coverage in the media about the Tús scheme and how it's set up. You hear tons of negativity about JobPath in the news but you never hear anything about the Tús scheme? Maybe people that are forced onto the scheme feel they have no power?
    If I remember correctly the Tús scheme was set up to appease the countries that bailed Ireland out during the recession? I think Éamon Ó Cuív was responsible for bringing in this thing when he was Minister for Social Protection in 2010.

Hi, just wondering if I'm right in saying that people on the Tús scheme might be working cleaning up litter in a specific location(local GAA pitch lets say) one week and then will be cleaning up litter in a different location(a playground lets say) on a different week?

If you're offered a job working as a groundskeeper at a local soccer pitch for example does that mean you will always be working at that specific place or is it at the Tús advisor's discretion to bounce you around to different areas of your local town to work on things that weren't mention in the initial job offering?

This gang are mad keen on me. Got two letters saying "Ballyhoura" TUS and I replied to both saying I live in the city and Ballyhoura is massively out of the way (I don't drive). Anyway got a letter about an appointment at Intreo office a week ago. It didn't say anything about being penalised if I didn't turn up, the weather was god awful, I also had a cold so I didn't bother. Also around the same time I had another one of the LES appointments and I emailed them could I reschedule as I had the flu/cold or whatever it was. Yesterday I got a call about missing the Intreo appointment. They told me it was TUS and just because it said "Ballyhoura" didn't mean I'd be placed out there and to just turn up for an interview, have a chat and I "didn't have to take it" (their words).

Now in addition today I got a letter from Intreo telling me to turn up for an appointment next week and this letter does have the dreaded "payment may be reduced" at the bottom. I'm guessing it's a bollocking for missing the LES appointment. I have rescheduled twice before (I just rescheduled I did always turn up the second time). I only have three appointments left with LES and was ill so it's a bit OTT to call me in to Intreo in my opinion.

But there you go. My head is spinning with all the different letters, appointments and phone calls. Not sure what to do about TUS. I got a letter from them too today as a follow up to the phone call. It says I need to ring to make an interview. Doesn't say I have to do it. From reading here it sounds like I really do need to engage with them.

• Advertisement

segosego89 wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering if I'm right in saying that people on the Tús scheme might be working cleaning up litter in a specific location(local GAA pitch lets say) one week and then will be cleaning up litter in a different location(a playground lets say) on a different week?

If you're offered a job working as a groundskeeper at a local soccer pitch for example does that mean you will always be working at that specific place or is it at the Tús advisor's discretion to bounce you around to different areas of your local town to work on things that weren't mention in the initial job offering?
    its possible depending on area, but would be best asked at the interview.

As i see TUS as a contribution back instead of sitting on dole, but lets be honest all the fckn jobs they offer are paid jobs that they abuse for whatever charity gaa public service etc, which gives none to little skills for majority people doing them, plus all the places get massive funding's from EU and state to sit on their ass for decades, doing bare minimum.

as remember couple years back when i was with TUS in the interview they wanted to push some reception job for some clown who does events etc - total piss take.

entire scheme should be revamped into 3months placement probation period if person is able to work they should get permanent contract, not picking 20 people and doing rotations on places that are well able to hire staff - as looking back at own experience its like jobdrige you could end up in decent place, but you get bare minimum wage, fck u attitude from other workers who are paid, and at the end, only benefit is that you want to get off the dole, not to repeat any of the same $hit.

scamalert wrote: »
    its possible depending on area, but would be best asked at the interview.

As i see TUS as a contribution back instead of sitting on dole, but lets be honest all the fckn jobs they offer are paid jobs that they abuse for whatever charity gaa public service etc, which gives none to little skills for majority people doing them, plus all the places get massive funding's from EU and state to sit on their ass for decades, doing bare minimum.

as remember couple years back when i was with TUS in the interview they wanted to push some reception job for some clown who does events etc - total piss take.

entire scheme should be revamped into 3months placement probation period if person is able to work they should get permanent contract, not picking 20 people and doing rotations on places that are well able to hire staff - as looking back at own experience its like jobdrige you could end up in decent place, but you get bare minimum wage, fck u attitude from other workers who are paid, and at the end, only benefit is that you want to get off the dole, not to repeat any of the same $hit.
    I really don't know why there isn't more uproar about the Tús scheme. Like there was big uproar about Jobsbridge before it was discontinued years ago and there was uproar about Jobpath to the point of the government actually voting to get rid of it. Jobpath will discontinue in a years time if I'm not mistaken when their contract with the government ends.

Why hasn't there been any uproar about the Tús scheme? Is it because the numbers of people that are subjected to it are not great enough for something to be done about it? I think there's only about 7000 people approx on the scheme at any time...

This gang are mad keen on me. Got two letters saying "Ballyhoura" TUS and I replied to both saying I live in the city and Ballyhoura is massively out of the way (I don't drive). Anyway got a letter about an appointment at Intreo office a week ago. It didn't say anything about being penalised if I didn't turn up, the weather was god awful, I also had a cold so I didn't bother. Also around the same time I had another one of the LES appointments and I emailed them could I reschedule as I had the flu/cold or whatever it was. Yesterday I got a call about missing the Intreo appointment. They told me it was TUS and just because it said "Ballyhoura" didn't mean I'd be placed out there and to just turn up for an interview, have a chat and I "didn't have to take it" (their words).

Now in addition today I got a letter from Intreo telling me to turn up for an appointment next week and this letter does have the dreaded "payment may be reduced" at the bottom. I'm guessing it's a bollocking for missing the LES appointment. I have rescheduled twice before (I just rescheduled I did always turn up the second time). I only have three appointments left with LES and was ill so it's a bit OTT to call me in to Intreo in my opinion.

But there you go. My head is spinning with all the different letters, appointments and phone calls. Not sure what to do about TUS. I got a letter from them too today as a follow up to the phone call. It says I need to ring to make an interview. Doesn't say I have to do it. From reading here it sounds like I really do need to engage with them.

I would highly recommend that you engage with them. Please see a previous post that I made earlier in this forum. You will eventually get a nasty surprise in the post office if you do not engage with them. The Tus people themselves are usually presented in a non threatening manner but they are required to report non engagement of selected participants to the DSP. You might think you are okay avoiding them for a couple of months but the DSP will eventually cut you off without warning.

Case worker told me that the TUS scheme was mainly for people with no experience or little/no qualifications and there was no point in me doing it. That was a relief. I filled in the TUS form and sent it to them about 3 weeks ago.

Not been contacted about it again.

That's great news for you. Though it's a bit unusual to hear because people who have degrees etc have been forced onto the scheme.
    My experience is that it's not entirely at the discretion of the case officer to make that decision for you but perhaps I'm wrong in this case.

When you sent back the Tús form were you then sent a letter by your case officer asking you to meet with him/her in your local social welfare office? Or did you organize the meeting yourself?

I got the TUS letter in the post and then I got a separate letter to meet the case worker. When I met the case officer I explained that I got the TUS letter. The case worker told me to explain my circumstances in the TUS letter/form.

That was basically it. The case worker did not resolve the matter for me. They just basically agreed with my view that the TUS programme would not really be suitable for me.
    Yeah see, this situation happened to me before a couple of years ago.

I met with a the case officer in the Intreo Office explaining that I received a letter from the Tús people(I think I was offered a Tús job as a groundskeeper). I explained to the case officer that I didn't want to take up a Tús placement and he advised me to write a letter to the Tús department explaining my circumstances. After I sent the letter, I then got a phone call from someone from the Tús department and they explained that I had to take the placement and attend the interview or else I would get a 9 weeks benefits suspension.

My theory on how the Tús department works is that they get a case officer working in a local Intreo office to identify people in the locality that he/she would consider as potential candidates for selection on a one year placement on the Tús scheme. The case officer then corroborates the list of candidates with someone who works in the local partnership(let's say Cork City Partnership). The case officer and the relevant person in the local partnership are basically trying to figure out what person from the list would be the best suit for a Tús placement. I believe that they choose people based on how long they been on the register and the length of time they've been on the register between jobs. I think they select people that have gone years without work because it means that when they place that person on a scheme they will have a better chance that that person would remain in the placement for the year based on their history on the register.

So the case officer basically says to themselves when identifying candidates "Okay this potential candidate has gone without work for 2 years so if I selected him/her for a Tús placement I can almost predict that they will remain on the placement for the year based on the previous long term periods of unemployment and I wont have to worry about them leaving the placement after only 3 months because they've all of a sudden found full time employment somewhere in the private sector".

The thing is that when the "case worker told you to explain your circumstances in the TUS letter/form" I'm not sure if the case officer was being disingenuous to you. As in, was that their way of brushing you off and letting you find out on your own from the Tús people that you actually do have to take up a Tús placement.
    Or another possibility is that they may be ignorant of the fact that people that they have identified for Tús cannot just respond to a Tús letter explaining that they're unsuitable for the scheme....

Another possibility is that you were actually let off the hook...but it's not usually at the discretion of the case officer to let people of the hook in regards to Tús placements..

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭alanzo27

I started TÚS last week in a charity shop. I'm enjoying it and I am working hard/showing initiative. My background is in IT and I have recently completed an apprenticeship but I have ongoing mental health issues / suspected Aspergers. I have only been on the live register about 1 1/2 months.

However, the woman who runs the shop is snobby and sees me as the person who will do everything for her. She pushes me away when customers come in, and gossips a lot about customers. She also doesn't seem to like the positive changes I have been making as she reverses changes I make. The guy who works with me is useless and does nothing. He might hoover the floor but that is the extent of it. I feel like a 'guinea pig'.

• Advertisement

alanzo27 wrote: »
    I started TÚS last week in a charity shop. I'm enjoying it and I am working hard/showing initiative. My background is in IT and I have recently completed an apprenticeship but I have ongoing mental health issues / suspected Aspergers. I have only been on the live register about 1 1/2 months.

However, the woman who runs the shop is snobby and sees me as the person who will do everything for her. She pushes me away when customers come in, and gossips a lot about customers. She also doesn't seem to like the positive changes I have been making as she reverses changes I make. The guy who works with me is useless and does nothing. He might hoover the floor but that is the extent of it. I feel like a 'guinea pig'.
    Yes that pretty much summarizes TUS experience, it isnt worth time or hassle to make any changes do your work, and ignore any crap, your just a number for a year there, wont make any changes to those who run such places even if you wanted to.

Thou theres quite few courses that TUS runs that seem could be of benefit to you, if want pm will recommend what to get on ;) also if your in IT and serious theres a site cant remember now the name of it but you have to be on SW and quite few IT cert courses that you can do - not beginner crap either as far as i remember, to further your knowledge- and get certified, which works way better to be occupied while you get a proper job if you end up back on register.

"I have only been on the live register about 1 1/2 months."

Does that mean that this is your first time being on the register? Have you been on the register on previous occasions? The DSP takes into account previous periods of time spent on the register(either you receiving JSA, Back To Education Allowance , time on a CE Scheme etc..).

So if you were on JSA for 10 and 1/2 months a couple of years ago let's say. And then you signed off after 10.5 months but eventually signed back on 1 and 1/2 months ago, the DSP would take into account previous periods of time spent on the live register. So in other words they would add the 10.5 months and the 1.5 months together to make 12 months and because of that you would be eligible for Tús. You don't need to be on the live register for 12 consecutive months in order to be put forward for Tús.

I've never heard of someone being referred to Tús after just 1.5 months. Usually someone has to be on the register for a year.

Yes that pretty much summarizes TUS experience, it isnt worth time or hassle to make any changes do your work, and ignore any crap, your just a number for a year there, wont make any changes to those who run such places even if you wanted to.

Thou theres quite few courses that TUS runs that seem could be of benefit to you, if want pm will recommend what to get on ;) also if your in IT and serious theres a site cant remember now the name of it but you have to be on SW and quite few IT cert courses that you can do - not beginner crap either as far as i remember, to further your knowledge- and get certified, which works way better to be occupied while you get a proper job if you end up back on register.
    Can I ask did you personally have an experience on the Tús scheme yourself? If so, may I ask what kind of work did you do for the year?

"I have only been on the live register about 1 1/2 months."

Does that mean that this is your first time being on the register? Have you been on the register on previous occasions? The DSP takes into account previous periods of time spent on the register(either you receiving JSA, Back To Education Allowance , time on a CE Scheme etc..).

So if you were on JSA for 10 and 1/2 months a couple of years ago let's say. And then you signed off after 10.5 months but eventually signed back on 1 and 1/2 months ago, the DSP would take into account previous periods of time spent on the live register. So in other words they would add the 10.5 months and the 1.5 months together to make 12 months and because of that you would be eligible for Tús. You don't need to be on the live register for 12 consecutive months in order to be put forward for Tús.

I've never heard of someone being referred to Tús after just 1.5 months. Usually someone has to be on the register for a year.

I think it is an accumulation of previous occasions where I have been on the Live Register before.

I am very close to reporting the woman running the Charity Shop to my TÚS Leader. She is treating me like a child.

I gave plenty of notice to my TÚS Leader and the woman to say that I had to attend the bank urgently to address issues with direct debits this morning. She scowled at me saying that I didn't give enough notice and that it wasn't urgent.

She has been late last week consistently leaving me in the lashing rain while I have been early consistently. She does nothing but gossip in the front of the shop and I will not tolerate her bullying me.
    Sorry to hear that you're having problems with your Tús placement.

From what you've described it does seem that the woman who runs the Charity Shop might be taking advantage of you because of your circumstances(being forced for a year to work in a Charity Shop with no way of changing your placement etc). I don't know the history of the shop but she may have developed complacency over the years through her usage of Tús participants and knows from experience that she can get away with being very rude towards them without any consequences. This might explain why she has no problem with treating you in a curt and ungraceful manner.
    I personally would never take this kind of behaviour and would make a complaint immediately to be honest or at the very least talk back to her very sternly to make a point. However it might be wiser in the long run to make a formal complaint rather than to talk back to her.

A lot of the time if you make complaints regarding something which involves just yourself and another person(the person you're complaining about, in this case the manager of the shop) it tends to boil down to your word against hers unfortunately.
    I might be totally wrong in this case but in my experience there would also be an unspoken deference extended towards the manager if a formal complaint is issued.
    In other words, the Tús organizer may side with the manager instead of you by using the excuse that there have been no previous complaints issued towards the manager by previous Tús participants working in the shop etc.

I would advise that you write down significant incidents that have occurred between yourself and the manager and also record the dates that these incidents occurred. If you want to make a complaint I would do so in writing so that there would be a record of correspondence exchanged between yourself and the Tús organizer. This could be important in the long run down the line in case you want to take your complaint further(contact the Minister for Social Protection for example).

Can I ask how you intended to make a complaint? Were you going to do it in person or write an email or something like that?

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear that you're having problems with your Tús placement.

From what you've described it does seem that the woman who runs the Charity Shop might be taking advantage of you because of your circumstances(being forced for a year to work in a Charity Shop with no way of changing your placement etc). I don't know the history of the shop but she may have developed complacency over the years through her usage of Tús participants and knows from experience that she can get away with being very rude towards them without any consequences. This might explain why she has no problem with treating you in a curt and ungraceful manner.
    I personally would never take this kind of behaviour and would make a complaint immediately to be honest or at the very least talk back to her very sternly to make a point. However it might be wiser in the long run to make a formal complaint rather than to talk back to her.

A lot of the time if you make complaints regarding something which involves just yourself and another person(the person you're complaining about, in this case the manager of the shop) it tends to boil down to your word against hers unfortunately.
    I might be totally wrong in this case but in my experience there would also be an unspoken deference extended towards the manager if a formal complaint is issued.
    In other words, the Tús organizer may side with the manager instead of you by using the excuse that there have been no previous complaints issued towards the manager by previous Tús participants working in the shop etc.

I would advise that you write down significant incidents that have occurred between yourself and the manager and also record the dates that these incidents occurred. If you want to make a complaint I would do so in writing so that there would be a record of correspondence exchanged between yourself and the Tús organizer. This could be important in the long run down the line in case you want to take your complaint further(contact the Minister for Social Protection for example).

Can I ask how you intended to make a complaint? Were you going to do it in person or write an email or something like that?

I am contemplating speaking to my TÚS Leader firstly and requesting to move to an alternative placement. I will also try to let the woman running the Charity Shop know that I am unhappy and I am not going to tolerate her behaviour. I have been taken notes each day since I began, including times and dates of incidents as references.

I am contemplating speaking to my TÚS Leader firstly and requesting to move to an alternative placement. I will also try to let the woman running the Charity Shop know that I am unhappy and I am not going to tolerate her behaviour. I have been taken notes each day since I began, including times and dates of incidents as references.
    Yeah, that sounds like a good plan.

Although I'm not sure how easy it is to request to be moved to a different placement. Usually when you're placed somewhere you are forced to remain there for the year. Maybe you should communicate to the Tús leader that you a seriously considering making a complaint against the manager regarding a number of incidents that have affected you negatively and that you are prepared to take the complaint higher if the issue is not resolved?

That might make the Tús leader consider moving you somewhere else or at the very least will correct the behaviour of the manager.

I don't know much about charity shops but I always thought that they were non-profit organizations? From what you've described the manager of this particular sounds like she's running a for-profit business? Why would she be acting this way towards you if it supposed to be a non-profit business?

It's supposedly non-profit but I believe that the manager of the Charity Shop takes certain items that have value and sells them by advertising them online.

That is a very serious allegation. By all means speak to your TUS Supervisor regarding a different placement.

I will be speaking to my TÚS Leader. I cannot confirm that this is the case but I have heard the manager mentioning selling items online. It is only speculation so I have no solid evidence.

If i didn't go trough similar crap, where your told your basically disposable i wouldn't believe you, but id say most things you tell are true.

As said in my first post you wont change how those places are run in no way, and its mad to deal with come c^nts who dont know any better, to tell you anything. But as above ask to be placed somewhere else, express that crap you do, wont even go on your CV anyway. plus as mentioned ask for courses - anything that might cut time in place, on top you get 4 weeks holidays, if crap gets to much use them up wisely.

Its ****e when your treated as that- but put it down for experience, as its for a year, you can still look for jobs and leave place any time you find anything.

I will be speaking to my TÚS Leader. I cannot confirm that this is the case but I have heard the manager mentioning selling items online. It is only speculation so I have no solid evidence.

Personally I wouldn't go mentioning stuff like that. Just look after yourself. No point in going making enemies for yourself in my opinion.

Not trying to make enemies. Just don't want to be taken advantage of. I'm dropping my speculation as I now know all the proceeds from the online sales are given to the charity.

Still doesn't excuse the behaviour of the manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 MrsThomas

Just reading the thread here:

Well I received a letter to sign up for Tus scheme if I refuse to sign up give a reason why with a * if you do not sign up your payment may be cut off or deducted.

I’m shocked to get it because I moved from Dublin to Louth was half way through seetac and the lady there told me I will be re directed to seetec again.

I have college degree & chronic illness and prefer to work from home or office job she completely understood etc. I don’t drive and live where there is no public transport so can I refuse the TUS SCHEME- I have great past experience and would not want to sign up to some shi*ty job for 12 months I’m
    Hopeful I will get the job I am after it’s just matter of time.

Any advice ?
    Has anyone
    Wrote no X AND GAVE THEM REASONS?

I have college degree & chronic illness and prefer to work from home or office job she completely understood etc. I don’t drive and live where there is no public transport so can I refuse the TUS SCHEME- I have great past experience and would not want to sign up to some shi*ty job for 12 months I’m
    Hopeful I will get the job I am after it’s just matter of time.

dont put anything on the sheet you received as excuse, instead go to interview and say whats highlighted above, that way they will see its genuine reason, as these things go they wont push you to do anything as seems many who get letter jump straight away to refuse, yet its simple interview at first- if it doesnt work out they wont push you to sign up for some crap. So nothing to be afraid of as many get first impression they will be forced onto something, not the way it works.

Your dead right refusing right away might give away a bad attitude from the start.

Do you know how fast it works from the moment you send the letter ? Like the interview etc. I hope we get a choice some people state of you decide not to proceed with tus your payment is cut off for 9 weeks that’s mad

MrsThomas wrote: »
    Your dead right refusing right away might give away a bad attitude from the start.

Do you know how fast it works from the moment you send the letter ? Like the interview etc. I hope we get a choice some people state of you decide not to proceed with tus your payment is cut off for 9 weeks that’s mad
    its been couple years for me since dealing with them but letter is invitation as i remember correctly not a sign up, maybe its a notice that you been picked for interview dont remember for sure, but it has date on it, or next letter once its set.

in general its 2-3 weeks date time, to attend interview, bring any degrees etc paperwork in what your qualified, jobs you look at, any progress or training taken, all that counts once you show and explain what your looking for and what steps you have taken.

If you show that your educated, looking for jobs and have general sense, they will most likely wont engage further, think its people with attitude why should i, or i wont that draw their attention.

• Advertisement

Thanks a million for the heads up and advice - hopefully it’ll all go well for me thanks again

Thanks a million for the heads up and advice - hopefully it’ll all go well for me thanks again
    Can I ask did the letter actually offer you a specific job or did it just ask you to be interviewed by the Tus people? Also I'm just wondering how long had you been in Louth before you received the letter?

Can I ask did the letter actually offer you a specific job or did it just ask you to be interviewed by the Tus people? Also I'm just wondering how long had you been in Louth before you received the letter?
    letter is only invitation, any offers are when you go to meet them as lots of random low skill jobs in different fields.

the timing of when one gets called, as ive been told SW releases applications on random selection, but once it happens they could be sent to say seetec TUS or whoever and basically whoever first makes contact with you is up to them.

its possible some being longer or still fresh to be picked as higher chance to get them off SW as well, my speculation.

letter is only invitation, any offers are when you go to meet them as lots of random low skill jobs in different fields.

the timing of when one gets called, as ive been told SW releases applications on random selection, but once it happens they could be sent to say seetec TUS or whoever and basically whoever first makes contact with you is up to them.

its possible some being longer or still fresh to be picked as higher chance to get them off SW as well, my speculation.
    When you say "SW releases applications on random selection" you mean SW sends potential candidates that are on the live register to either Seetec, Turas Nua or Tús? And whichever organization selects one of the candidates that were given by SW is able to claim that candidate to be put through either the Jobpath scheme or the Tús scheme?

When you say "SW releases applications on random selection" you mean SW sends potential candidates that are on the live register to either Seetec, Turas Nua or Tús? And whichever organization selects one of the candidates that were given by SW is able to claim that candidate to be put through either the Jobpath scheme or the Tús scheme?
    Exactly, even if looking back good few dozen pages one can find, that say if Setec gets to you first then TUS have to back off, if they sign you, thus for some its better to get with TUS, as next usually follows from other agencies where it seems worse, from previous people experiences.

As there been cases where people got like weeks gaps between getting called to Seetec and TUS ? and afterwards they didn't like it, or other reasons, but TUS couldn't take em once they would tell them that another org has them signed, or they already engaged with them.

I received the letter today.
    Saying : writing to you to offer you and opportunity to apply for position on the Tus programe. Please note your jobseeker payment may be affected if a) you choose not to participate in the scheme b) not return letter by 3 rd December.

I was with seetec half wya through I was moving to Louth hence 4 months of awaiting to be with seetec In Louth só only got 2 months done in Louth with lovely lady in seetec to be told the course it’s finished. She told me
    If I don’t find job she’s sure I will be referred back to seetec and she would be happy to help me as we only worked together for such a short amount of period of time.

Yes where I live there’s no public transport we have a 2 year old and my husband starts his shift 6 am so no child at is open at these hours I’m looking for work from home such as PayPal or potentially get driving license and work in an office ( obstacle of me getting driving license I simply do not have money for it) I get €63! Weekly on job seeker allowance....

I received the letter today.
    Saying : writing to you to offer you and opportunity to apply for position on the Tus programe. Please note your jobseeker payment may be affected if a) you choose not to participate in the scheme b) not return letter by 3 rd December.

I was with seetec half wya through I was moving to Louth hence 4 months of awaiting to be with seetec In Louth só only got 2 months done in Louth with lovely lady in seetec to be told the course it’s finished. She told me
    If I don’t find job she’s sure I will be referred back to seetec and she would be happy to help me as we only worked together for such a short amount of period of time.

Yes where I live there’s no public transport we have a 2 year old and my husband starts his shift 6 am so no child at is open at these hours I’m looking for work from home such as PayPal or potentially get driving license and work in an office ( obstacle of me getting driving license I simply do not have money for it) I get €63! Weekly on job seeker allowance....

My understanding is that Jobpath is going to be wound down within the next few months so they might not be taking on more participants as they wont be able to get the full year from them. I might be totally wrong though.

Can I ask when you finished with the Jobpath people in Louth? Was it very recently?

I’ve finished roughly
    3/4 months ago was suppose to get end of the course certificate never did.
    They were all over the place- I have to say my advisor was lovely woman however too many times she never turned
    Up for our follow up....

Do you reckon they are going to close down the seetec? I’m wondering what will they do with me like how would tus programme work for a person that has no access to public transport and doesn’t drive and has college degree with a great work experience.

I’m dreading how the interview would go to be honest and I’m not sure if my €60 per week is worth all this stress ! If i was getting the €188 rate that would be a different story

I’ve finished roughly
    3/4 months ago was suppose to get end of the course certificate never did.
    They were all over the place- I have to say my advisor was lovely woman however too many times she never turned
    Up for our follow up....

Do you reckon they are going to close down the seetec? I’m wondering what will they do with me like how would tus programme work for a person that has no access to public transport and doesn’t drive and has college degree with a great work experience.

I’m dreading how the interview would go to be honest and I’m not sure if my €60 per week is worth all this stress ! If i was getting the €188 rate that would be a different story
    Well, Tús participants get the 188 Euro rate with a 20 Euro top up I believe. I'm not sure but maybe you would be entitled to the full 208 Euro base weekly wage if you participated in Tús even when taking your husband's salary into account? Maybe enquire about that?

I really recommend attending the initial interview.
    You will eventually be sanctioned for 9 weeks if you don't engage with them. I personally learned that the hard way. At least go to the first interview and see how you go? You never know they might not think you're suitable and possibly wont have to take up a position. Or perhaps they might find a suitable clerical position working in an office? My understanding is that if you don't engage with them initially the kinds of positions that they would offer would gradually become less favourable. So you might not be able to get a job in an office setting unless you readily engage with them initially. You might be forced into a less favourable position.

At least you can cover yourself by attending the first meeting/interview. I gave the same advice to another person on this thread and he later said he was glad he took my advice.

• Advertisement

Here is an article about Jobpath ending here:
    https://www.thejournal.ie/jobpath-extended-12-months-4824453-Sep2019/

My understanding from the article is that Jobseeker referrals to Turas Nua and Seetec were supposed to end in December 2019.
    But because of the contract that exists between the government and the two companies I believe that really Jobpath will end in December 2020.

I might be totally wrong but I think that's what it says in the article.

Definitely taking your advice signing the letter yes for the interview and see where it takes me.
    Interesting how seetec has seem to be failing the government yet they still invest in tus programme

Definitely taking your advice signing the letter yes for the interview and see where it takes me.
    Interesting how seetec has seem to be failing the government yet they still invest in tus programme
    The government came up with the Tús program during the bailout in 2010. My basic understanding is that the countries that bailed us out wanted those who are on any kind of welfare long term in Ireland should be forced to work in the community for a period of a year.
    The Tús program has little to do with helping those on benefits trying to get work but more to do with appeasing the countries that funded the Irish bailout in 2010.

There was talk from Paschal Donahue of getting rid of the Tús scheme a couple of years ago but nothing has come of it:
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/fundamental-back-to-work-schemes-face-axe-under-budget-spending-review-35436463.html

The government came up with the Tús program during the bailout in 2010. My basic understanding is that the countries that bailed us out wanted those who are on any kind of welfare long term in Ireland should be forced to work in the community for a period of a year.
    The Tús program has little to do with helping those on benefits trying to get work but more to do with appeasing the countries that funded the Irish bailout in 2010.

There was talk from Paschal Donahue of getting rid of the Tús scheme a couple of years ago but nothing has come of it:
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/fundamental-back-to-work-schemes-face-axe-under-budget-spending-review-35436463.html

Imagine expecting the workshy to actually work for their money!!

Yeah you've reminded me of another reason why Tús exists.

A lot of people are jealous of those who are on benefits etc and it's these kinds of people that enjoy the idea of those on the register be forced to work as litter pickers etc...
    So the reason for the scheme existing is a combination of the government bailout and envy from those who are possibly working in jobs that might not be of high quality themselves.

Out of
    Interest what jobs do they offer apart from little Pickering?

Do they expect people with college degrees and experiences do litter picking that’s a bit mad

• Advertisement

Out of
    Interest what jobs do they offer apart from little Pickering?

Do they expect people with college degrees and experiences do litter picking that’s a bit mad
    Yes, they will put people in those positions regardless of qualifications. But they don't seem to put women in litter picking jobs. It's always men in yellow coats that you see around towns doing that kind of work.

I believe that women generally are put in clerical positions(that are indoors) or something like working in a retirement home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

i dont see the issue with litter picking. someone has to do it.
    as for a college degree - it doesnt preclude someone from doing this task or any other that tus offers.

tbh its that type of attitude that has certain people unwilling to do 'any' job. a degree diesnt make someone better than someone with none. it just means they have a degree.

i engaged with tus when the opportunity arose some years ago. the reference i got from the position i had tbrough them helped me to get the job i have today.

its all down to attitude i feel.

i dont see the issue with litter picking. someone has to do it.
    as for a college degree - it doesnt preclude someone from doing this task or any other that tus offers.

tbh its that type of attitude that has certain people unwilling to do 'any' job. a degree diesnt make someone better than someone with none. it just means they have a degree.

i engaged with tus when the opportunity arose some years ago. the reference i got from the position i had tbrough them helped me to get the job i have today.

its all down to attitude i feel.
    It's good to hear that you had a positive experience from it. Yes, I can imagine the reference that you can get can be valuable especially if someone has gone a couple of years without work. It certainly fills in the gap in a CV.

May I ask what kind of position were you given?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Imagine being paid at least the minimum wage for working!

Imagine being paid at least the minimum wage for working!

Oh, the inhumanity.

• Advertisement
Advertisement