Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TUS Programme

Comments

segosego89 wrote: »
    Yeah you've reminded me of another reason why Tús exists.

A lot of people are jealous of those who are on benefits etc and it's these kinds of people that enjoy the idea of those on the register be forced to work as litter pickers etc...
    So the reason for the scheme existing is a combination of the government bailout and envy from those who are possibly working in jobs that might not be of high quality themselves.

I read an article about a guy who was litter picking on a TUS Scheme. He was hailed for his civic mindedness. He used work in a shop until the Tiger croaked. He now picks litter with dedication and gusto. He’s had a new lease of life. People stop and talk to him. If he’s caught in a shower of rain, he can just pop into any shop or office until it passes. He’s alone apart from his little dog. He’s not forced. He’s happy to do it. He takes pride in his work. No one would envy his life. Living alone in his early 60’s. Never married. No kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

MrsThomas wrote: »
    Do they expect people with college degrees and experiences do litter picking that’s a bit mad

:confused:

and since when have people with degrees been exempt from litter picking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

fryup wrote: »
    :confused:

and since when have people with degrees been exempt from litter picking?
    nothing wrong with low skills jobs, but its the deal that you work on minimum wage and year later your gone, no ifs or buts.

as someone said yes routine and doing something adds to get people moving, but most of jobs are charity type where they rotate as many people as they can and any organizations get nice grants and funding on top while one on TUS is disposable any time, basically same BS as jobbridge was, as only investments pour to few up top to rotate people for a year, while jobs they are put in could easily be turned full time, thats where TUS and most schemes fail, as doing 2 days whatever work for a year is nothing, but once your done it hardly boosts CV recommendation yes but career wise for someone with degree it would be same as not having worked at all - then putting some random off side job, like working in charity shop would be useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Imagine being paid at least the minimum wage for working!

Minimum wage is €9.80
    TUS is €11.56

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Out of
    Interest what jobs do they offer apart from little Pickering?

Do they expect people with college degrees and experiences do litter picking that’s a bit mad
    loads of jobs. Could be care taking or other type jobs. I was ina tus role for a year in gaa club. Nominally was caretaker along with guys on different schemes but club got me foing all sorts of other work for them like admin etc. It gets you solid years guaranteed work and you can work on top of your allocated hours as well
    scamalert wrote: »
    nothing wrong with low skills jobs, but its the deal that you work on minimum wage and year later your gone, no ifs or buts
    and just having a year shouldn't be a problem. You have a guaranteed wage for 12 months. Ait can add or be something different on your cv and you can work casually on top of it
    as someone said yes routine and doing something adds to get people moving, but most of jobs are charity type where they rotate as many people as they can and any organizations get nice grants and funding on top while one on TUS is disposable any time, basically same BS as jobbridge was, as only investments pour to few up top to rotate people for a year, while jobs they are put in could easily be turned full time, thats where TUS and most schemes fail, as doing 2 days whatever work for a year is nothing, but once your done it hardly boosts CV recommendation yes but career wise for someone with degree it would be same as not having worked at all - then putting some random off side job, like working in charity shop would be useless.
    would disagree a lot when you say it's like job bridge or that roles are charity type. They're mainly community based like local clubs organisations are used a lot.
    I did it after getting my degree having spent a few years doig odd jobs, working getting feck all in arts industry for a while. Not like not having worked at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 MrsThomas

I have to agree here with scam alert.

Working in a charity shop or such wouldn’t benefit me in any way on my cv. And you also have to take into consideration that I am looking for a good job not just 2 days per week earning €180.

But don’t see how tus would work with me as I said I live in a country side no public transfer there’s only a local shop and post office where I live.

So have no clue what jobs they’d have to offer me

Working in a charity shop or such wouldn’t benefit me in any way on my cv. And you also have to take into consideration that I am looking for a good job not just 2 days per week earning €180.

But don’t see how tus would work with me as I said I live in a country side no public transfer there’s only a local shop and post office where I live.

It isnt 2 days a week though. It would depend on organisation but it's nearly 20 hours a week so 3/4 days is usual.
    If public transport is issue for tus then surely it would affect you as much for any other job. So is that an excuse?

So, what is your plan for transport to the “good” job you are looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭segosego89

It isnt 2 days a week though. It would depend on organisation but it's nearly 20 hours a week so 3/4 days is usual.
    If public transport is issue for tus then surely it would affect you as much for any other job. So is that an excuse?
    Sounds like you had a good experience on the scheme.

Can I ask what kind of work specifically you did in the GAA club other than admin work? Was it cutting grass and all of that kind of stuff? Just interested to know what kind of stuff you would have to do in a GAA club for 20 hours every week for a year? Working in a GAA club sounds reasonable enough compared to say litter picking in a town etc..

Sounds like you had a good experience on the scheme.

Can I ask what kind of work specifically you did in the GAA club other than admin work? Was it cutting grass and all of that kind of stuff? Just interested to know what kind of stuff you would have to do in a GAA club for 20 hours every week for a year? Working in a GAA club sounds reasonable enough compared to say litter picking in a town etc..
    I didnt do any grass cutting. Others on other schemes did that. There was 5/6 in total working across the week who did that. I was mainly looking after hall, gym and could do a lot of my own work or whatever on my laptop.

• Advertisement

The good job-

Im looking for Work from home I have no public transport and I have chronic illness where I need to have access to bathroom at All times

The good job-

Im looking for Work from home I have no public transport and I have chronic illness where I need to have access to bathroom at All times

You need to apply for disability allowance because your not eligible for jobseekers. Ring your local citizens information centre and ask them to post you out an application form.

My chronic Illness is IBS- in America its considered disability - in Ireland unfortunately not. I wish I could apply for disability all the pressure and stress in work place would also lift of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

There is no list of conditions here that are considered a disability. You apply and your application is considered on its own merits. If you cannot leave your house because of your condition you would have a strong case.

My chronic Illness is IBS- in America its considered disability - in Ireland unfortunately not. I wish I could apply for disability all the pressure and stress in work place would also lift of me.

DA applications are not processed the way you think they are. You need to make your application with supporting medical evidence and an explanation from yourself as to why your condition prevents you from being available for full time work.
    That is the criteria to meet for DA not a diagnosis.

My doctor said that unfortunately In some countries IBS is considered disability in Ireland isn’t and we have to find suitable work and manage the condition ourselves I’m on daily medication and I am restricted in what jobs I can find

But in ideal world you guys have no idea what it would mean for me to be on disability allowance and take the pressure off. Stress unfortunately triggers my illness majorly

My doctor said that unfortunately In some countries IBS is considered disability in Ireland isn’t and we have to find suitable work and manage the condition ourselves I’m on daily medication and I am restricted in what jobs I can find
    Have you tried setting up a meeting with a case officer to see if you would be able to get disability allowance? Based on what someone else said in a previous comment it's at the departments discretion whether or not to approve you of disability allowance. Unless I'm mistaken if you provide a good enough case maybe you would be eligible for it?

Maybe just send an email to a case officer to explain your situation?

Have you tried setting up a meeting with a case officer to see if you would be able to get disability allowance? Based on what someone else said in a previous comment it's at the departments discretion whether or not to approve you of disability allowance. Unless I'm mistaken if you provide a good enough case maybe you would be eligible for it?

Maybe just send an email to a case officer to explain your situation?

If you contact SW they will give you an application form to complete and advise that you send it in to DA section for processing.
    There’s no other way to get DA other than to complete the form.
    No one from SW would be able to predict wether anyone would be a successful applicant or not. Not only is it judged on medical evidence it’s also means tested which requires scrutinising of financial evidence too.
    The OP has been advised that he/she should apply but appears reluctant. Eventually he/she will be disqualified from Jobseekers as they aren’t eligible for jobseekers. Posters can take the advice here, or leave it if they want. People find themselves in tricky situations but it usually all works out in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

I finished tus in October 2018.I thought after it was over that i wasn't eligible, to participate on the scheme for another 3 years.But i got a letter requesting my permission, to go on the scheme again.Is this carry on above board?Perhaps the rules were changed?

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

I finished tus in October 2018.I thought after it was over that i wasn't eligible, to participate on the scheme for another 3 years.But i got a letter requesting my permission, to go on the scheme again.Is this carry on above board?Perhaps the rules were changed?
    According to Citizen's Information:

"Participants work 19 ½ hours a week and the placement lasts 12 months. You receive the same statutory annual leave and public holiday entitlement as other employees. During the 12 month placement, you can have up to 2 days’ uncertified sick leave and 7 days’ certified sick leave. When the placement finishes, you should sign on again with your local Intreo Centre or Social Welfare Branch Office. You cannot participate in the Tús scheme again for 3 years."

Maybe because Jobpath will be winding down within a year they've decided that participants who have finished the scheme can be put on it again after only a year has passed?

Also I have heard stories of people being forced onto the scheme for 3 years total. I also remember walking into the Intreo Office(sometime in 2016/2017) and overhearing the case officer on the phone with someone from the local partnership advising that a particular person that he had selected on the register would be suitable for a 3 year long position on the scheme.

Yet I can't find anything on the 3 year long Tús position thing online. I don't understand why that is.

I would advise contacting your case officer asking why you were sent the letter again. Also I would advise contacting the Tús department in your locality as they would give you a more specific answer. The case officer may not be able to give you a full explanation. Use the paragraph that I've quoted from Citizen's Information when making your query.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Hopeful19

turas nua manager of local office is basically verbally attacking someone i know ever time they go in. telling them they should have a job by now that they are not tryig and that now they are not entilited to travel expenses as they are only a named driver on his partners car as his is off the road cause simply cant afford it. anyone else experience these issues with turas nua

Hopeful19 wrote: »
    turas nua manager of local office is basically verbally attacking someone i know ever time they go in. telling them they should have a job by now that they are not tryig and that now they are not entilited to travel expenses as they are only a named driver on his partners car as his is off the road cause simply cant afford it. anyone else experience these issues with turas nua
    This thread is related to the Tús scheme not the Jobpath scheme. Maybe ask your question on a relevant thread on Boards.

My doctor says unfortunately it isn’t disability in Ireland and as hard the condition is to manage I have to deal with it. For example in America it is considered disability

Guys received a post have an interview on Tuesday coming up with Tus....
    My head is spinning tbh. Not sure what they will say to me.

How long does the interview lasts ?
    Also what questions do they ask can I prepare myself somehow ?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Thanks
    They do not usually put women into litter picking positions. I never see women wearing those yellow vests around town picking up litter or cleaning etc. Usually women are put into indoor positions such as working in a charity shop or perhaps working in a museum...something along those lines.

Whatever you do ATTEND the meeting. I have explained the reason why in previous posts. Have an up to date CV and cover letter. Meeting can last 10 to 15 minutes perhaps. Maybe longer.

It would be good if you went into your local DSP office and checked all of the available CE schemes available on display on the wall and see if there is anything there that would suit you and have those in mind before meeting with the Tus people. You might be able to get a more reasonable position that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Thanks
    dress like you would for job interview so have degrees CV jobs u worked, effort made is a big bonus, dont go with f u atttitude, see what they have to offer on your skills, reception supervising staff is common for women, tell your issues as well if commute is long, or have specifc hours. Most think its going in brutal but in a nut shell its just simple interview to pick right candidate - theres a good reason those that never get touched, as seems they sort of pick those that need proper boost to go back to workforce.

what usually makes peoples experience bad regarding tus is the places they are put in, and people who run em like free labor sort of attitude very toxic when you do job that basically has proper salary for pennies and they ride you on 200e+ as you would owe them, when in fast most TuS placement receive tons of cash from government, EU funds, so always few select skimming the top poor us, we need more xyz when reality is they would rather use free labour not a penny out of pocket and cry a wolf how bad finances are :rolleyes: , not entirely TuS fault but something that they would been able to fix over the years instead running it lose.

Thanks guys- didn’t know
    I had to dress just like for interview I thought they are very like seetec? I’ll definitely go in and dress appropriately just not sure what questions they may ask. Not going to lie I am a nervous wreck

Thanks guys- didn’t know
    I had to dress just like for interview I thought they are very like seetec? I’ll definitely go in and dress appropriately just not sure what questions they may ask. Not going to lie I am a nervous wreck

Please don’t be nervous. You really just need to be yourself. There’s nothing to worry about. That’s important because they want to find some position that is suitable for you, where you will fit in, that you will like, and that they will like you!! So just be really honest and frank and bare in mind that if your in receipt of a SW payment that participating in these schemes is all part of it.
    They don’t want to send you somewhere you won’t be comfortable to do something you won’t like doing, but at the same time try to be a bit flexible. Best of luck now, it could be the start of a whole new thing for you.

splinter65 wrote: »
    Please don’t be nervous. You really just need to be yourself. There’s nothing to worry about. That’s important because they want to find some position that is suitable for you, where you will fit in, that you will like, and that they will like you!! So just be really honest and frank and bare in mind that if your in receipt of a SW payment that participating in these schemes is all part of it.
    They don’t want to send you somewhere you won’t be comfortable to do something you won’t like doing, but at the same time try to be a bit flexible. Best of luck now, it could be the start of a whole new thing for you.

^^^^^ This. And if you do get a placement and it’s not working out, just speak up. Also, if there’s a training course that you’re interested in and it’s not on their list, just ask. They’re not ogres. Really!

• Advertisement

Thank you guys. Another question from the moment of interview am I switched to TUS payment or from the moment I get a placement ?

Thank you guys. Another question from the moment of interview am I switched to TUS payment or from the moment I get a placement ?

Not till your on a placement.

Thanks a mill

Hi guys

I have interview with Tus and ironically today I received a letter from seetec that I’ve been accepted and to come in for invitation session.
    What am I suppose to do surely there is a mistake ?

Hi guys

I have interview with Tus and ironically today I received a letter from seetec that I’ve been accepted and to come in for invitation session.
    Hmm....I'm not totally certain but you might be able to get out of the Tus placement after all.

Usually Seetec and Turas Nua have preference over the Tus scheme.....so if you mention that you've been accepted into Seetec and have received a letter from them to the Tus people when they interview you, you may be able to get out the Tus placement for the next year.

I'm personally not sure what you should do to be honest maybe someone else can give you advice on it? All I know is that the government prefers people being placed on the Jobpath scheme in the hopes that you will eventually get employment rather than been stuck on the register for another year on the Tus scheme. Usually if people have been on the Jobpath scheme for a year or two the government will then consider those people for participation on the Tus scheme rather than doing another year on the Jobpath course.

If you've been invited to Seetec again, you may be able to get out of the Tus placement if you explain to them you're situation...I'm not sure though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 autumneyes

Hi guys

Hi Mrs,

This happened to me, I got the letter from TUS in September, attended the interview (no need to dress formal people get a grip) which went very well, they had various placements available, but suggested only one due to my qualifications and experience (Horticulture) I was excited due to it being in walking distance (don't drive) and the reputation the business has over the locality and further a field. I left the interview thinking I had landed my dream Job, as the the two TUS officers asked me to sign up for revenue.ie and that I would receive a call the following week, that call never came, I had to call them, which they said I would receive a call the following week, and when that call came they told me the place had been filled (but asked me if I would like a place in local GAA club, I said no thanks) I was bit taken a back as I was sure the vibe I got from the interview was that I had a placement, but no. I sent TUS an email asking them various questions regarding the interview, anyways I got a reply answering my questions, wont go into what I asked but I made it clear to them I was not happy. Roll on the start of December, got the yearly DSP letter for means testing, bank statement, evidence showing job applications etc, in the job applications section where you put the 6 jobs down I put "TUS" were there jobs advertised, were
    you offered a job "NO" I said :) The following week I was offered a job from TUS at this Business. Turas Nua were then on the case, I refused them, however you must notify your TUS officer and HE/SHE will sort it out, this is completely your choice btw, so of your placement is not to your liking go for Job Path, if however you want the placement, get them on the case that you want it. Sorry for the rant, but just my experience.

P.S PEOPLE, when attending a TUS interview ask for the list of placements they have available, you may be interested in one they have not mentioned to you, do not be afraid to say NO if you feel a placement is not for you.

P.S PEOPLE, when attending a TUS interview ask for the list of placements they have available, you may be interested in one they have not mentioned to you, do not be afraid to say NO if you feel a placement is not for you.

But there is an unspoken understanding that you must select a placement eventually. You can't keep refusing placement offers if they're not to your liking. You'll eventually be sanctioned otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Hi guys

Nothing unusual about that. You will be told to do the Seetec unless TUS offer you a placement there and then and you get your agreement stamped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 autumneyes

But there is an unspoken understanding that you must select a placement eventually. You can't keep refusing placement offers if they're not to your liking. You'll eventually be sanctioned otherwise.

I put that there because there are many people out there who believe they must accept a placement "EVEN IF THEY THINK IT IS NOT FOR THEM" as regards being sanctioned for the continuous refusal of the various placements TUS offers or suggest to you, well I believe that is entirely down to individual circumstances. TUS may be good for certain people who are placed in a position they want, and can learn, GAA, SOCCER CLUBS, CHARITY SHOPS etc are not an ideal scenario for most, the scheme should cater to a broader sector of potential employment/employers.

Hi guys went to Tus meeting was grand. With new rules they said I have choice if I wanted to do Tus I have to do seetec as same time.

Or just seetec as I’ve been accepted.session starting next week.

I think it’ll be better for me doing seetec considering I don’t have access to public commute and relay on my spouse from what I can remember they were understanding regarding appointments etc.
    tus was not happy with my chronic illness as they had a lot of outdoor jobs available which I cannot do to my condition.

Do you think I’m making the eighth choice by going with seetec ?
    What was your experience like?

Thanks again guys

• Advertisement

MrsThomas is there a reason if you’ve a chronic illness that you haven’t applied for Disability Allowance?

Back when I used to live in Dublin my dr told my chronic ilness is not disability in Ireland but the likes of America it is considered disability so it would be hard to get it.
    I moved to Louth. My doctor is far more understanding but didn’t think of applying for disability ;
    Do I have to have certain years worked to apply for it? I’m scared if I apply my job seekers will be stopped

Back when I used to live in Dublin my dr told my chronic ilness is not disability in Ireland but the likes of America it is considered disability so it would be hard to get it.
    I moved to Louth. My doctor is far more understanding but didn’t think of applying for disability ;
    Do I have to have certain years worked to apply for it? I’m scared if I apply my job seekers will be stopped

There isn’t a list of medical conditions that are used by DSP to decide wether someone is entitled to DA.
    Just fill in the application form. It’s not for the doctor to decide wether or not you’ll get it.
    The DSP decide based on your application. Your GP fills in part of the form. If the GP or a specialist treating you is kind enough to give you a supporting letter then that would be great.
    Write a letter from yourself to accompany your application describing how your condition is restricting you from looking for work.
    When you’ve posted off your application you can tell your local DSP office and they will transfer you to SWA while your application is being processed. That will reduce your current payment by €2.
    You have already told TUS that you cannot accept positions which involve you working outside so they will be reporting that back to DSP and the Deciding Officer will be reconsidering your Jobseekers claim on that information anyway so your hand may be forced about the disability allowance .
    You won’t be considered available for work while your DA application is being considered.

Hi thanks for getting back to me. Actually no they explained the process and gave me 2 days to decide if I want to go with tus or seetec.
    He said he just has to report that I came and he thinks there are a lot of obstacles for me to be with tus.
    Because I got seetec allocation I am on a safe side with social welfare.

It’s worth a try for a disability allowance I’m just doing research and it says that 1000 people’s are being rejected disability as they are not believing people. If I were to apply and get denied I assume I’d loose my job seeker allowance as welll leaving me with no money ?

Hi thanks for getting back to me. Actually no they explained the process and gave me 2 days to decide if I want to go with tus or seetec.
    He said he just has to report that I came and he thinks there are a lot of obstacles for me to be with tus.
    Because I got seetec allocation I am on a safe side with social welfare.

It’s worth a try for a disability allowance I’m just doing research and it says that 1000 people’s are being rejected disability as they are not believing people. If I were to apply and get denied I assume I’d loose my job seeker allowance as welll leaving me with no money ?

No, if you are refused DA you will just go back on JSA. I don’t know why you think you would be denied Jobseekers.
    MrsThomas I just come here and try to advise posters as I’ve years of experience of SW in particular. I wouldn’t be advising you to apply for DA if I thought that there was a possibility that you could be worse off after applying. You have nothing to lose but it really is up to you in the end and I wish you the best of luck with Seetec, they will do their very best to get you full time employment in a job that suits you.

Thank you very much I think you gave me a courage to apply for disability allowance thank you again for all your advice and wish you all the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭jeffk

Got a letter today myself

I done it twice before and when I mentioned some feedback on one of the places on here (the broad excuse was it was a personality clash). A mediator (who deals with it) rang threatening me to take it down for my own good and I would NEVER do a scheme like this again

So that's what I put on the letter, no point me ticking no box when its a member of staff who said it

Hi guys doing seetec one month in already my advisor is lovely I have to say- but got a letter from social welfare to attend a claim review with one of the officers???
    I thought once I’m on seetec I don’t have to meet any advisors or have my claim checked ??? Trying to ring the social welfare but they never pick up....

Hi guys doing seetec one month in already my advisor is lovely I have to say- but got a letter from social welfare to attend a claim review with one of the officers???
    I thought once I’m on seetec I don’t have to meet any advisors or have my claim checked ??? Trying to ring the social welfare but they never pick up....
    No, you still have to meet officers for a claim review sometimes regardless whether you are in Jobpath or not. It is normal. Sometimes officers will call out to your residence just to ask you a few questions. It is not a big deal. In your case it appears you have to call into the welfare office for the review? Have you thought about emailing the welfare office instead of ringing them for clarification about the review?

• Advertisement

No one answers the emails and I’ve rang all day and no one picks up in my local social welfare. They don’t even require any bank statements just a form to fill in how have I been looking for jobs etc. I assume they missed the part I’m part of seetec

Advertisement