Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TUS Programme

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

segosego89 wrote: »
    Can I ask what kind of work you were doing on the Tus scheme? Can you elaborate why your employer turned nasty towards the end?
    Look through their posts in the thread theyve said what they were doing and why they thought employer was acting like they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭segosego89

Look through their posts in the thread theyve said what they were doing and why they thought employer was acting like they did.
    Apologies, I didn't realize I had talked to the same user before weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

My wife finished her Tús placement last week and applied for JSA online as soon as possible. She hasn't heard anything back yet and we were wondering how long does this process usually take?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Is anyone with a placement in schools being asked to return?

Phat Cat wrote: »
    My wife finished her Tús placement last week and applied for JSA online as soon as possible. She hasn't heard anything back yet and we were wondering how long does this process usually take?
    Have you tried ringing or emailing your local social welfare office to ask about it?

Have you tried ringing or emailing your local social welfare office to ask about it?

Of course, but nobody answers the phone.

Of course, but nobody answers the phone.
    Goodness, you must live in a fairly populated place in Ireland? Where I live people in the SW office usually answer the phones and will answer emails.

Have you definitely tried emailing them? It's a bit ridiculous that they are not responding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

She'll get paid 1 week and a half 2 weeks after ........you get nothing for the 3 days after applying, they're called 'waiting days' apparently

sonofenoch wrote: »
    She'll get paid 1 week and a half 2 weeks after ........you get nothing for the 3 days after applying, they're called 'waiting days' apparently

She worked for a year for little, paid tax on that, got nothing out of it and now has to jump through hoops. Sounds about right

• Advertisement

She worked for a year for little, paid tax on that, got nothing out of it and now has to jump through hoops. Sounds about right
    Out of interest can I ask did she end up getting paid more per week than she would have if she had been getting the basic Jobseekers rate? In other words did the tax she had to pay per week meant that she was worse off than she was when she was just receiving JSA?

Quick update, still no word and my wife was blue in the face trying to call and email the local social welfare office so she decided to head down this morning and talk to them. The office opens at 10am so she arrived at 9:40am but the queue was already 20 people deep. Apparently they were only letting one person into the building at a time so by 11am there were 16 people ahead of her as they had only let 4 people in the previous hour. She waited until 11:30am then she left totally frustrated and will arrive before 9am tomorrow to try her luck again. The whole situation is disgraceful if you ask me!

Quick update, still no word and my wife was blue in the face trying to call and email the local social welfare office so she decided to head down this morning and talk to them. The office opens at 10am so she arrived at 9:40am but the queue was already 20 people deep. Apparently they were only letting one person into the building at a time so by 11am there were 16 people ahead of her as they had only let 4 people in the previous hour. She waited until 11:30am then she left totally frustrated and will arrive before 9am tomorrow to try her luck again. The whole situation is disgraceful if you ask me!

Did she check her bank account to see if any payment was made?

Did she check her bank account to see if any payment was made?

Yes she checked, she hasn't received anything since her final Tús payment a few weeks ago.

Yes she checked, she hasn't received anything since her final Tús payment a few weeks ago.

I know someone who finished on Tus a while ago, he didn't hear anything for over a week from leaving the form in then went in to see them and got the payment sorted for the following week.........I think your missus will definitely need to see someone face to face to get it sorted, they won't be fussed to get it done if not

either way she'll get backdated payment for the weeks waiting

Another update: My wife stood outside the Social Welfare Office for three hours in the pouring rain just to be told that her Job Seekers application was still pending and that they were dealing with an unprecedented number of applications and were unable to provide a time-frame when a decision on her claim will be made.

She is at the mercy of the deciding officer and has now gone three weeks without any sort of payment which I think is an absolute disgrace!

• Advertisement

Another update: My wife stood outside the Social Welfare Office for three hours in the pouring rain just to be told that her Job Seekers application was still pending and that they were dealing with an unprecedented number of applications and were unable to provide a time-frame when a decision on her claim will be made.

She is at the mercy of the deciding officer and has now gone three weeks without any sort of payment which I think is an absolute disgrace!

Would it be worth her while talking to her ex line manager in TUS and ask can they be of any help. They have responsibilities towards her and can’t be just used and abused as cheap labour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Can your wife get supplementary welfare allowance?

Would it be worth her while talking to her ex line manager in TUS and ask can they be of any help. They have responsibilities towards her and can’t be just used and abused as cheap labour.

She's been onto them, they were as surprised as her with the waiting times etc but said that they couldn't do anything as she is no longer a participant on Tús and is now back in the system.
    Can your wife get supplementary welfare allowance?

Her Tús supervisor actually told her to talk to the Community Welfare Service but that will mean another few hours queuing up outside the Social Welfare Office which she said that shes not prepared to do for a third time in as many weeks.

She's been onto them, they were as surprised as her with the waiting times etc but said that they couldn't do anything as she is no longer a participant on Tús and is now back in the system.

Her Tús supervisor actually told her to talk to the Community Welfare Service but that will mean another few hours queuing up outside the Social Welfare Office which she said that shes not prepared to do for a third time in as many weeks.

Community Welfare is a different department.

Community Welfare is a different department.

Well she was told to talk to the Community Welfare Officer so I really don't know

• Advertisement

Well she was told to talk to the Community Welfare Officer so I really don't know

You’ll find details here. https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/4/olderpeople/carersrelatives/community-welfare-services-.html

https://www.mygovid.ie

If nothing else at least she can keep an eye on what stage her claim is at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Can anyone help me out, tortured with tus, they want me to work in local charity shop, it's opened on reduced hours due to covid and they still expect me to do 19.5 hours, obviously want me to be there when it's not opened, has anyone ever said they're not doing it, what happens do they cut the money straight away, do you eventually get money back again or what way does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Dude19

Check the website as they should send a reply or email I herd back within two days I got paid a week later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Smcn20 wrote: »
    Can anyone help me out, tortured with tus, they want me to work in local charity shop, it's opened on reduced hours due to covid and they still expect me to do 19.5 hours, obviously want me to be there when it's not opened, has anyone ever said they're not doing it, what happens do they cut the money straight away, do you eventually get money back again or what way does it work?

So what???
    Im working on CE scheme and still have to make my hours in a community centre thats closed from March and will be closed untill somewhere next year
    Still plenty work to do
    Even your shop is closed there will be plenty to do for you like cleaning and or shorting things out making ready for resale whatever
    I dont see your problem

I’ve lads on TUS working in a school who have to do 27 hours a week to make up for the schools being closed over the holidays. I’m only getting 11 hours paid work in the school.
    It’s a brutal scam.

You eventually will have your payment suspended for 9 weeks if you refuse to participate. They wont tell you beforehand when they suspend payment also. You will find out for yourself when you visit the post office and the clerk behind the desk will say there is nothing there for you. They have designed the system in such a way so as to catch you off guard when the suspension takes place. It's their way of sending a message to people. It's like a "carrot and stick" kind of thing.

I'm not sure whether or not you will get your money back after the 9 week suspension. You will have to appeal the suspension to an appeals officer or something like that. I've never heard of anyone bearing the 9 week suspension before and getting their money back in the end.

Have you actually started work in the charity shop yet? How do you know you will have to be there for 19.5 hours considering the circumstances? Has the manager of the charity shop specified this to you already?

I’ve lads on TUS working in a school who have to do 27 hours a week to make up for the schools being closed over the holidays. I’m only getting 11 hours paid work in the school.
    It’s a brutal scam.
    How is it that you're only getting paid 11 hours work? You are supposed to be getting paid for 19.5 hours work?

Do you mean to say that you are DOING 11 hours work? Or that you're doing 19.5 hours and getting only paid for 11 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Bobdn37

This seems to be the place to talk about the Tus scheme:

I have unfortunately been unemployed for a few years and recently done an interview with these crowd and Overall I have to say the people who interviewed were really nice and down to Earth,

They more or less said that they were going to place me locally and to wait to be contacted within a week or two,

I was fairly happy about this but I have heard nothing and now 3 or 4 weeks have passed.

Wondering now of they offer everyone places or has anyone else ever been let down by them ?

Bobdn37 wrote: »

I have unfortunately been unemployed for a few years and recently done an interview with these crowd and Overall I have to say the people who interviewed were really nice and down to Earth,

They more or less said that they were going to place me locally and to wait to be contacted within a week or two,

I was fairly happy about this but I have heard nothing and now 3 or 4 weeks have passed.

Wondering now of they offer everyone places or has anyone else ever been let down by them ?

It’d be no harm to give them a call. With the ongoing pandemic, things are a bit up in the air with some CE and TUS Schemes almost at a standstill.

• Advertisement

Bobdn37 wrote: »

Did they give you any indication of what kind of job they were going to place you in? Did they ask you what kind of job you would prefer out of a selection of jobs available?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Bobdn37

Did they give you any indication of what kind of job they were going to place you in? Did they ask you what kind of job you would prefer out of a selection of jobs available?

Yes In fact,they were happy with my qualifications and told me exactly where they were going to place me,They initially mentioned outdoor work but I politely told them that I was not interested in doing that kind of work which they didn't seem to take offense,

If you are going for one of these interviews I wouldn't worry too much. You have room to bargain so ask them for alternatives based on your experience.

I will probably wait another few weeks to see if they get back to me with something

Final update: My wife finally got approved for job seekers a full four weeks after finishing her Tús scheme. She was probably unlucky because most people apparently get sorted out a week or two after they finish. I have to say though, her local Intreo Office seemed to be an absolute nightmare to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

If you do a TUS scheme you can leave early if you find a better paying job, is that correct?

tdf7187 wrote: »
    If you do a TUS scheme you can leave early if you find a better paying job, is that correct?
    Yes of course.

Yes of course.

And the pay rate basically works out as minimum wage. Doesn't seem too bad at face value.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭alanzo27

Yes. I wasn't due to finish with TÚS until October but because I am returning to college and have applied for Back To Education Allowance I was able to leave early.

alanzo27 wrote: »
    Yes. I wasn't due to finish with TÚS until October but because I am returning to college and have applied for Back To Education Allowance I was able to leave early.
    Am I correct in saying you were the person who was placed in a local charity shop? If I remember correctly you had a bit trouble with your boss at first I think?

Can I ask how was your experience overall after working there for almost a year? Did you end up enjoying it in the end?

And the pay rate basically works out as minimum wage. Doesn't seem too bad at face value.
    Well see, someone mentioned a while ago on this thread that you're actually taxed a tiny bit on what you earn on the scheme. It's a bit weird because Jobseeker's allowance is not considered taxable income yet when you're put on the Tus scheme, your income(which is basically the same rate as Jobseeker's with an added 20 Euros) is taxed to some extent.

I might be totally wrong but I think someone did the calculations on here and it turned out that you're actually a tiny bit worse off on the scheme compared to being on JSA. I'll have to try to go through this thread to see where the calculations were mentioned...

Can someone who knows about this stuff correct me if I'm wrong?

• Advertisement

Well see, someone mentioned a while ago on this thread that you're actually taxed a tiny bit on what you earn on the scheme. It's a bit weird because Jobseeker's allowance is not considered taxable income yet when you're put on the Tus scheme, your income(which is basically the same rate as Jobseeker's with an added 20 Euros) is taxed to some extent.

I might be totally wrong but I think someone did the calculations on here and it turned out that you're actually a tiny bit worse off on the scheme compared to being on JSA. I'll have to try to go through this thread to see where the calculations were mentioned...

Oh you are taxed a tiny bit as i worked a lot doing various different jobs on top of the tus work and got taxed a fair bit on the tus work...
    its very little but i wasnt ever worse off than being on JSA

Am I correct in saying you were the person who was placed in a local charity shop? If I remember correctly you had a bit trouble with your boss at first I think?

Can I ask how was your experience overall after working there for almost a year? Did you end up enjoying it in the end?

Yes that was me. My experience overall was negative as I felt there was a lack of work. However the Manager in the second shop where I had transferred to was very pleasant and she is a credit to the local community. One particular staff member was also pleasant. There were many changes I would have liked to implement but they would not have been adhered to. I also felt that they had poorly executed health and safety procedures with regards to Covid-19.

My mental heath had suffered immensely and the Manager was made aware of my issues. I was extremely uncomfortable at the cash register but I am happy that I tried my best. I am currently in the process of seeking help regarding my personal circumstances.

Oh you are taxed a tiny bit as i worked a lot doing various different jobs on top of the tus work and got taxed a fair bit on the tus work...
    its very little but i wasnt ever worse off than being on JSA
    Oh right, thanks for the information.

Apologies for my ignorance, but were you only subjected to certain kinds of taxes because of your combined income from both Tus work and additional work? Or are people who only get income solely from Tus subjected to certain kinds of taxes also?

Oh right, thanks for the information.

Apologies for my ignorance, but were you only subjected to certain kinds of taxes because of your combined income from both Tus work and additional work? Or are people who only get income solely from Tus subjected to certain kinds of taxes also?
    It was because i was doing extra work and how i spread my tax credits iirc.

alanzo27 wrote: »
    Yes that was me. My experience overall was negative as I felt there was a lack of work. However the Manager in the second shop where I had transferred to was very pleasant and she is a credit to the local community. One particular staff member was also pleasant. There were many changes I would have liked to implement but they would not have been adhered to. I also felt that they had poorly executed health and safety procedures with regards to Covid-19.

My mental heath had suffered immensely and the Manager was made aware of my issues. I was extremely uncomfortable at the cash register but I am happy that I tried my best. I am currently in the process of seeking help regarding my personal circumstances.
    Sorry to hear about your personal troubles and I hope your situation improves.

Although it's sad to hear you had an overall unpleasant experience, it's good that it improved somewhat towards the end when you started working in the second shop.

Can I ask did you transfer to the second shop on your own accord or were you placed there by your Tus supervisor? Also are the changes that you are talking about specific to the charity shops or the Tus scheme itself?

Sorry to hear about your personal troubles and I hope your situation improves.

Although it's sad to hear you had an overall unpleasant experience, it's good that it improved somewhat towards the end when you started working in the second shop.

Can I ask did you transfer to the second shop on your own accord or were you placed there by your Tus supervisor? Also are the changes that you are talking about specific to the charity shops or the Tus scheme itself?

I had requested to transfer to the second Charity Shop. The changes are specific to the Charity Shops.

• Advertisement

Wrong, if this is correct:

https://download.pwc.com/ie/budget-2020/income-tax-results.html?status=1&parentstatus=0&ageattained=46&prsicategory=1&grossincome=on&grosssalary=11700&pensionfund=on&tradeincome=on&welfarepension=on&investmentincome=0&salary3=0&covehicle=on&healthinsure=on&clubbiksel=0&otherbiksel=0&employerloan=on&submit=Calculate+my+tax

225 a week is still below the taxable limits. Of course if people have other income, as one poster alluded to, that would affect matters.

Someone on minimum wage working say a 37.5 hour week would however be paying some income tax.

My understanding is that jobseekers allowance is indeed taxable income. It's just that it falls below the limits, i.e. is covered by the tax free allowance.

https://download.pwc.com/ie/budget-2020/income-tax-results.html?status=1&parentstatus=0&ageattained=46&prsicategory=1&grossincome=on&grosssalary=11700&pensionfund=on&tradeincome=on&welfarepension=on&investmentincome=0&salary3=0&covehicle=on&healthinsure=on&clubbiksel=0&otherbiksel=0&employerloan=on&submit=Calculate+my+tax

225 a week is still below the taxable limits. Of course if people have other income, as one poster alluded to, that would affect matters.

Someone on minimum wage working say a 37.5 hour week would however be paying some income tax.

My understanding is that jobseekers allowance is indeed taxable income. It's just that it falls below the limits, i.e. is covered by the tax free allowance.
    Okay thanks for looking into the issue! This is good to know.

It all depends on one’s personal tax circumstances. If there’s a couple splitting tax credits or the amount of TUS payment, eg if one is claiming for a partner and children.

It all depends on one’s personal tax circumstances. If there’s a couple splitting tax credits or the amount of TUS payment, eg if one is claiming for a partner and children.
    If a single person with no children or spouse is getting the basic JSA rate and also is getting Rent Allowance Supplement(RAS) or HAP rental allowance would they be liable to any kind of taxes once they are put on the Tus scheme?

Some people get between 300 and 400 Euros per month on top of their basic JSA rate if they claim one of those rental supplements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16 saxmaniaque

Hi there.

Just a quick question. Will bank give you a loan based on tus salary? Does it show as normal wage on your statement?

Thx

• Advertisement
Advertisement