Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TUS Programme

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

mrbrown69 wrote: »
    What's the craic with the tax on this? the brother has been signed up to this for a few weeks now....first 3 weeks he paid 9 odd euro in tax which is fair enough he'd get it back, last week it bumped up to over 40! leaving him worse off than when on SW

Tus officer promised him he wouldn't be paying tax before signing up :rolleyes:

Tell him to get down to the tax office. Same happened me.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭smiley_face400

Had an interview yesterday an have now been informed by my tus rep that I'm starting on the 6th May. Sounds pretty good and also seems relevant to my existing skills on which I can build. It's only 19.5hrs so plenty of time to search for something more permanent and maybe do a few courses to upskill. I know it's annoying being forced into a position where you have to take a placement or face losing your payments altogether but it at least allows you to network and you might meet somebody who could get you something more permanent with more hours which is exactly what I plan on doing. It has helped to consider tus as like a temp agency and I fully intend on treating them like one if this new place isn't what I've been told it is

RE: The form you are given to sign yourself off the dole.

You sign the form at your Tús interview, leaving the start date blank. Once you're accepted into a placement you'll be given back the form to put the start date on and bring to your social welfare office to get it processed. You then bring it back to your Tús officer where they will process it also.

So, in short, if you sign it at your initial meet with Tús nothing will happen with it until you get a placement. However, if you're uncomfortable signing it too early you could always sign it after you get your placement but before you start.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭mrbrown69

Dunny wrote: »
    Tell him to get down to the tax office. Same happened me.

Was paid back his tax in full this week which aint too bad

So starting in Unesco on Tuesday. Was speaking with the woman who interviewed me today about start times/hours/whatnot. Turns out I've been completely mis-sold this position. She was asking me about what age groups I'd be comfortable working with when what I signed up and interviewed for was reception/admin not bloody youth work. I told them in tus that under no circumstances would I work with children cos I'm just not a kiddy person. Bollox to that if they make me try to work with kids. Told her as much and ready to bite the heads off arseholes in Tus as well as going straight to a journalist friend of mine if they don't sort me out with what I asked for instead of what they lied to me about. If they're forcing us into taking a placement then I'm going to make it work for me rather than arseing about for a year with something not relevant to my skills and then ending up back on the dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

So starting in Unesco on Tuesday. Was speaking with the woman who interviewed me today about start times/hours/whatnot. Turns out I've been completely mis-sold this position. She was asking me about what age groups I'd be comfortable working with when what I signed up and interviewed for was reception/admin not bloody youth work. I told them in tus that under no circumstances would I work with children cos I'm just not a kiddy person. Bollox to that if they make me try to work with kids. Told her as much and ready to bite the heads off arseholes in Tus as well as going straight to a journalist friend of mine if they don't sort me out with what I asked for instead of what they lied to me about. If they're forcing us into taking a placement then I'm going to make it work for me rather than arseing about for a year with something not relevant to my skills and then ending up back on the dole.

Youth work, that's strange because they clearly say that you will only be given work that is suitable to you so i find it crazy that they would go back on their verbal agreement and just stick someone into something that is not suitable.

They asked me would i work with kids and youth and i told them absolutely not as that is not what i would like to work at at all, and they said ok, but they tried a few times again in asking me and i made it abundantly clear i would not work with children or youth.

I haven't heard anything back from TUS yet as i think there is a 16 week wait for the garda vetting. They better not try that crap with me as i will be wanting a written statement regarding the work i choose i want to do of which they say they will give me.

@ Smiley: contact your supervisor and tell him/her you did not agree to do youth work and make it clear that you have already told them this numerous times. Definitely out of order indeed.

Did they say they will train you to work with children & youth ? surely a person needs training when dealing with children & youth. It looks like they are just forcing people into this youth program even though there is no training, it seems very unprofessional and this needs to be dealt with as it is not what is written on the TUS document in relation to the fact that you will only be given a job of which is suitable to your needs.

With you, the job description you asked for and was told would be suitable for you was not honoured so you have a case.

Government departments "clearly say" a lot of things that they don't adhere to. Today wasn't so bad, explained that I thought this was a reception position and that I just don't have the patience to work with children. She's said that they only need to know if they're over booked in any way and need assistance but that the main job is reception/admin. Think it was just a case of crossed wires with Tus not giving me the whole story when unesco thought they had.

You really have to hound these Tus people to follow up as well. Once I had the placement and a start date and time I haven't heard anything from him and I need to know about time sheets, when I'm getting paid, if there's any follow up procedures, etc.

@zenno: I filled out the garda vetting forms in both tus and today. It won't delay you in getting a placement but there'll be problems if anything comes back on it. The one I filled out today was crazy, had to give every address I've had since birth including the 6/7 I had when backpacking

Government departments "clearly say" a lot of things that they don't adhere to. Today wasn't so bad, explained that I thought this was a reception position and that I just don't have the patience to work with children. She's said that they only need to know if they're over booked in any way and need assistance but that the main job is reception/admin. Think it was just a case of crossed wires with Tus not giving me the whole story when unesco thought they had.

You really have to hound these Tus people to follow up as well. Once I had the placement and a start date and time I haven't heard anything from him and I need to know about time sheets, when I'm getting paid, if there's any follow up procedures, etc.

@zenno: I filled out the garda vetting forms in both tus and today. It won't delay you in getting a placement but there'll be problems if anything comes back on it. The one I filled out today was crazy, had to give every address I've had since birth including the 6/7 I had when backpacking

I got that one first, the one that needed every single address i lived at but i do have previous convictions but they are minor offences like drunk and disorderly way back so i don't know if they will have any effect on this as the TUS guy said i might hear from them in two weeks or it could be 2 months and that was march i went for the first TUS interview. Will just have to wait and see i suppose.

I wonder why you had to do the garda vetting twice, seems strange because i thought you only needed to sign it once.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 tusworker

Just finished a Tus placement last Friday after a successful 12 mths in a community development job. Well, successful in terms of me doing well above and beyond what was expected of me and repeatedly being told (in centre where I worked) that they'd give me a job if they had the funding (which of course they don't). Anyway, went into the social welfare office on the last day to sign, with my form already filled in that the Tus supervisor had given me and a letter stating that I had completed the job satisfactorily etc etc. The woman took the forms checked them over, asked me to sign a form and said, ok that's it! I said, "What happens now"? She said an officer would review it and I would be notified of their decision, as if it was by no means certain I would be accepted back on jobseekers allowance. I asked when this would happen, but she just said it shouldn't be too long and added I had been paid up to the current week anyway. I asked what happens next week? and all she kept saying was someone would contact me.
    This Tuesday I went into the local community welfare officer as basically I have about 100e to my name. She listened to the story and said my case should be straightforward and she shouldn't need to get involved. I said there seemed to be nothing straightforward about it to me and she rang the welfare office while I was there. I gathered from her reaction that my claim hadn't been looked at yet and also found out that the person that my case was assigned to is off on a week's holiday. The CW officer asked if someone else would look at my claim in the meantime as I needed it sorted asap and was told that it would be done. The CW officer told me that she would follow it up and be in touch with me later this week. I have yet to hear anything from either the Social Welfare or the CW officer and will call into the SW office later today and chase it up.

It's a bloody disgrace the way they treat people. I'm over 40 and only been unemployed once in my life, unfortunately the period before going onto the Tus program. Before that I had worked continuously for over 20 years. I really enjoyed my Tus placement and often worked over the 19.5 hours, although I certainly got no extra for it. I was led to believe there was a job for me at the end of the placement, only to be told shortly beforehand that they hadn't the funding.
    These schemes exist purely to take people off the live register. Despite the fact you're effectively working for benefits and paying prsi, you're still treated like dirt by the social when your time is up through no fault of your own as there's no extensions possible with the Tus. Basically, once your time is up you're back to square one. Thing is, if you refuse to go onto the scheme you'll be penalised as well, so it seems you can't win.
    Thing too that gets me about the SW offices is that they arse about processing claims and take weeks to do what should be done in 5 minutes, yet feel justified in doing so by telling you that once your claim is awarded you'll be back-dated anyway. HTF are you supposed to live in the meantime while you're waiting?
    I will update this later and as I go along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

tusworker wrote: »
    Just finished a Tus placement last Friday after a successful 12 mths in a community development job. Well, successful in terms of me doing well above and beyond what was expected of me and repeatedly being told (in centre where I worked) that they'd give me a job if they had the funding (which of course they don't). Anyway, went into the social welfare office on the last day to sign, with my form already filled in that the Tus supervisor had given me and a letter stating that I had completed the job satisfactorily etc etc. The woman took the forms checked them over, asked me to sign a form and said, ok that's it! I said, "What happens now"? She said an officer would review it and I would be notified of their decision, as if it was by no means certain I would be accepted back on jobseekers allowance. I asked when this would happen, but she just said it shouldn't be too long and added I had been paid up to the current week anyway. I asked what happens next week? and all she kept saying was someone would contact me.
    This Tuesday I went into the local community welfare officer as basically I have about 100e to my name. She listened to the story and said my case should be straightforward and she shouldn't need to get involved. I said there seemed to be nothing straightforward about it to me and she rang the welfare office while I was there. I gathered from her reaction that my claim hadn't been looked at yet and also found out that the person that my case was assigned to is off on a week's holiday. The CW officer asked if someone else would look at my claim in the meantime as I needed it sorted asap and was told that it would be done. The CW officer told me that she would follow it up and be in touch with me later this week. I have yet to hear anything from either the Social Welfare or the CW officer and will call into the SW office later today and chase it up.

It's a bloody disgrace the way they treat people. I'm over 40 and only been unemployed once in my life, unfortunately the period before going onto the Tus program. Before that I had worked continuously for over 20 years. I really enjoyed my Tus placement and often worked over the 19.5 hours, although I certainly got no extra for it. I was led to believe there was a job for me at the end of the placement, only to be told shortly beforehand that they hadn't the funding.
    These schemes exist purely to take people off the live register. Despite the fact you're effectively working for benefits and paying prsi, you're still treated like dirt by the social when your time is up through no fault of your own as there's no extensions possible with the Tus. Basically, once your time is up you're back to square one. Thing is, if you refuse to go onto the scheme you'll be penalised as well, so it seems you can't win.
    Thing too that gets me about the SW offices is that they arse about processing claims and take weeks to do what should be done in 5 minutes, yet feel justified in doing so by telling you that once your claim is awarded you'll be back-dated anyway. HTF are you supposed to live in the meantime while you're waiting?
    I will update this later and as I go along.

Fairly sure if you go to the health board they will fast track your payment. When i finished up i had very little money and explained it and they pushed through my payment.

• Advertisement

Unsure what you mean by the health board? Who exactly?

Unsure what you mean by the health board? Who exactly?

The HSE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

Surely it would be the Department of Social Protection ( Social Welfare) and not the HSE who would be dealing with this?

I had a problem receiving my dole a while back and i went to the health service centre in my local area and they gave me money there and then but it was deducted from the dole when i received it.

Just go to your local health service centre and discuss the problem with them and they will help you out.

If you are not sure where your local health service centre is then go to the citizens advice centre and tell them your problem and they will give you all the information you need. Good luck.

Argh!! Emergency tax. Why can't Tus sort it out so this doesn't happen instead of having to sort it out ourselves!! It's only 9.60 in my case but it's a pain in the hole

Last time I claimed emergency tax back I filled out a form that I had to hand in with my P45. Is it the same procedure with tus employment or is there something else I have to do? I haven't worked in Ireland for over 3 years as I was abroad until last June so I don't even know if I have a P45 from my last Irish job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭Miseryguts

I've just came of Tus placement and went to receive my first JS payment this week to be handed a tidy little sum of €60 to cover me after giving free labour for an entire year it's just so annoying,really is a load of bull.

FAS have an interview set up for me this week. Seems i am on their radar now also feel i can't turn it down because of leaving a TUS placement.

Don't really want to start a new thread as i think i read a few people in here say they were on a CE scheme. Can anybody tell me if you wear a suit for the interview i stained my shirt and will have to buy a new one. As far as i am aware these schemes are 40 hours a week. Seems it's work experience i think it's too long but if i enjoy the work it would be alright. The job is in marketing so i presume wouldn't be too bad.

The only thing worrying me is the job advertisement has been on the FAS website for months. So either people have started and quit or nobody seems to like the job.

The thing about these schemes is they are offering people jobs where you think you would need to study in. Surely healthcare and working with kids you need some sort of degree. I was surprised when they asked me if i was comfortable helping the elderly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

Nuts102 wrote: »
    FAS have an interview set up for me this week. Seems i am on their radar now also feel i can't turn it down because of leaving a TUS placement.

Don't really want to start a new thread as i think i read a few people in here say they were on a CE scheme. Can anybody tell me if you wear a suit for the interview i stained my shirt and will have to buy a new one. As far as i am aware these schemes are 40 hours a week. Seems it's work experience i think it's too long but if i enjoy the work it would be alright. The job is in marketing so i presume wouldn't be too bad.

The only thing worrying me is the job advertisement has been on the FAS website for months. So either people have started and quit or nobody seems to like the job.

What's the name of the FAS Scheme where you'll be marketing something?

• Advertisement

rsole1 wrote: »
    What's the name of the FAS Scheme where you'll be marketing something?

It's called a CE scheme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

It's called a CE scheme.

Where are these positions advertised, as I can't seem to find them on the FAS Website?

rsole1 wrote: »
    Where are these positions advertised, as I can't seem to find them on the FAS Website?

Some of them are not called CE schemes on the website. It's jobs where you work 40 hours a week and get €50 extra a week and you must be over 25.

Some of them are not called CE schemes on the website. It's jobs where you work 40 hours a week and get €50 extra a week and you must be over 25.

That's JobBridge.

''JobBridge is a new National Internship Scheme that will provide work experience placements for interns for a 6 or 9 month period.

The aim of the National Internship Scheme is to assist in breaking the cycle where jobseekers are unable to get a job without experience, either as new entrants to the labour market after education or training or as unemployed workers wishing to learn new skills. The scheme will also give people a real opportunity to gain valuable experience to bridge the gap between study and the beginning of their working lives.

The scheme will provide for up to 8,500 work experience placements in the private, public and voluntary sectors. Interns will receive an allowance of €50 per week on top of their existing social welfare entitlement. This will be payable for the period of the internship.''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Karen23 wrote: »
    That's JobBridge.

''JobBridge is a new National Internship Scheme that will provide work experience placements for interns for a 6 or 9 month period.

The aim of the National Internship Scheme is to assist in breaking the cycle where jobseekers are unable to get a job without experience, either as new entrants to the labour market after education or training or as unemployed workers wishing to learn new skills. The scheme will also give people a real opportunity to gain valuable experience to bridge the gap between study and the beginning of their working lives.

The scheme will provide for up to 8,500 work experience placements in the private, public and voluntary sectors. Interns will receive an allowance of €50 per week on top of their existing social welfare entitlement. This will be payable for the period of the internship.''

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/unemployment_and_redundancy/employment_support_schemes/community_employment_scheme.html
    Also jobridge doesnt have an age restriction as far as I remember.

This is my third week in my TUS placement. It's grand. Gets me out of the house and is easy going. I am liking it even though I don't plan to be there for the whole year.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

5. This is not a forum for critiscizing Government Departments or Semi-State Bodies.

5a - 5 includes the policies of the Government Departments of Semi-State Bodies

From here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055070569

If posters wish to discuss the pro and con's of slave labour please take it elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,086 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Limericks wrote: »
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/unemployment_and_redundancy/employment_support_schemes/community_employment_scheme.html
    Also jobridge doesnt have an age restriction as far as I remember.

This is my third week in my TUS placement. It's grand. Gets me out of the house and is easy going. I am liking it even though I don't plan to be there for the whole year.
    JB did have a 25yr age restriction. Recently, the goalposts have moved to allow 23yr old as the mimimum age, providing that Intreo profiling is carried out on the individual.

Had an interview last week and didn't even hear back. Is it gone to the stage where employers don't even bother sending an email to say you didn't get the job.

Although FAS have set me up for another 2 interviews this week. Seems like they are trying hard to increase the number of jobs on these schemes.

• Site Banned Posts: 104 ✭✭Readyhed

Got one of these TUS letters yesterday.

Here is how I understand it:

There are two schemes. TUS and CE (community employment)

Both are identical except in the circumstances in which you "Apply" for them.

With the CE scheme (and also Job-Bridge) you have to apply vouluntarily. SW cannot force you to apply nor can they accuse you of not actively seeking work because you don't apply for any of these. (as long as you can prove you are looking for a real job with proper pay via other means).

TUS is a system whereby selected unemployed people are essentially co-erced into "volunteering" for CE scheme jobs.

If that is the case then the jobs that are advertised as "CE" on the fas website will be the same jobs that TUS will want to fill.

Am I right about this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭Miseryguts

Hi last post as far as i know I think Tus Placements can only be filled in non profit companies,so the "ce" process is slightly different but the same payment is received.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Miseryguts wrote: »
    Hi last post as far as i know I think Tus Placements can only be filled in non profit companies,so the "ce" process is slightly different but the same payment is received.

According to this they must also be non profit for CE as well.

http://www.fas.ie/en/Communities/Community+Employment

At the bottom of this page there is a link to an excel worksheet showing all the participating organisations.

I live in Louth where there are just 14 organisations mostly football clubs youth information centres and thats it.

CENTRAL CE SCHEME
    DROGHEDA FOOTBALL SCHEME LTD.
    DROGHEDA HOMELESS AID ASS LTD
    DROGHEDA YOUTH DEVELOPMENT
    DROGHEDA YOUTH DEVELOPMENT
    DROICHEAD ARTS CENTRE
    DUNDALK ICTU CENTRE LTD.
    THE FANE COMMUNITY GROUP
    INNISKEEN/WEST LOUTH DEV.GROUP
    MILLMOUNT COMMUNITY SERVICES
    DROGHEDA RESOURCE CENTRE
    MOUNT OLIVER & DISTRICT CE LTD
    TOGHER COMM.PROJECT GROUP
    Mid Louth CE LTD

In the Dublin area's I see a lot of creches and the likes.

Surely they are not encouraging creches to employ unqualified people
    for this work particularly in the light of recent developments!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭dubscribe

Yes, they were!!! Because when I did my interview with TUS, one of the vacancies I was offered was an "After School Club" - ie a place where school kids went to be minded until their parents collected them!!!

Ok I'm making some progress.

I worked for 20 years in Spain and 2 in Portugal and it seems getting a Garda Vetting will be impractical for me so these jobs with kids and youths are out. I rang Fas, Citizen's advice and the Garda Vetting Service and it seems they only check you out for Ireland and NI. If you ever lived abroad you have to get a police certificate from the relevent country which would take forever.

An interesting thing I learned however is that some employers can actually take you on before they get the vetting clearance. ie: It is at the discretion of the employer! Hardly seems appropriate - again given the current childcare scandals.

I wonder, Dubscribe, did the issue of Garda Vetting come up in your interview?

Also at 58 I have worked all my life as an Accountant so I think I am justified in refusing physical work like gardening and the like on the basis that I am not physically capable of it. (If they dispute this I will get a note from the doctor).

That leaves me with Admin work which I'm relaxed about doing but I see very few of these on the FAS "CE" website within the Louth area.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭dubscribe

No Readyhed,

The matter was never discussed with me. I too have lived and worked abroad for extended periods; 10 years in Australia (I emigrated the last Recession) and 4 years in Scotland and England.

Given my track record it seems the authorities would have a hard time doing a Garda Vetting on me.

I have filled out the form where you have to list ALL your address where you have lived all your life. That was for a REAL JOB in a Community Development position. Given I've lived abroad and being 51, there were quite a few. Fortunately I've kept copies of my emigration files, I had applied to live in the USA at one time as well as Australia. Therefore these days I just have to cut and paste. I would strongly recommend that anyone who fills in this form keeps a digital copy, or even a hard copy. It's a real hassle remembering all the necessary addresses.

As I've said previously, I think it depends on where you live that will influence if you will be called for a TUS placement.

When I initially got the letter I was ropeable :mad: - I had just completed a nine month Job-Bridge as I felt at least I would have something current on my CV to make me more attractive to employers (I was fooling myself). I honestly felt like I was being targeted. Not only had I given 30+ years experience to a job for an additional €50 on top of my dole money but now the government wanted another 12 months commitment and this time for only €20 a week albeit at reduced hours.

However, as I said, my TUS interviewers could not have been nicer and showed understanding and compassion with regard to my personal circumstances (because I live in an isolated rural location).

As someone who recently finished a TUS scheme, the following is fact.
    You pay PRSI, yet do not get a stamp! CE scheme workers DO get a stamp!

TUS schemes are not extendable, you do your year and that's it, unless of course whoever you're working for wants to employ you. But, seeing as they've had you for free for 12 months and can get someone else to replace you on TUS after you leave, it's unlikely!

I've just heard in the last couple of weeks that TUS workers can then go onto a CE scheme afterwards, so that might be a way of getting another year in the same place, but I can't say for certain.

TUS schemes exist solely to take people off the live register and keep the unemployment figures looking better than the reality. They're a way of making you work for your benefits, which in itself isn't necessarily a bad thing for people who've never worked a day in their lives, but as far as getting a job out of it afterwards, chances are slim. You might also be treated like a dogsbody by your employer.

As someone who recently finished a TUS scheme, the following is fact.

TUS schemes are not extendable, you do your year and that's it, unless of course whoever you're working for wants to employ you. But, seeing as they've had you for free for 12 months and can get someone else to replace you on TUS after you leave, it's unlikely!

I've just heard in the last couple of weeks that TUS workers can then go onto a CE scheme afterwards, so that might be a way of getting another year in the same place, but I can't say for certain.

TUS schemes exist solely to take people off the live register and keep the unemployment figures looking better than the reality. They're a way of making you work for your benefits, which in itself isn't necessarily a bad thing for people who've never worked a day in their lives, but as far as getting a job out of it afterwards, chances are slim. You might also be treated like a dogsbody by your employer.

This is not true, I know because I looked into it for myself. I was told you need to be unemployed for 12 months to qualify for CE and being on Tus classes you as employed. I was told this by Social Welfare, Community Welfare Officer and Citizens Advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Karen is correct about CE Scheme.

Not true.

Employees who earn €352 or less per week continue to have no liability to make a PRSI contribution and are not affected by the abolition of the weekly PRSI-Free Allowance.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/budget_2013.html#prsi

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭mrbrown69

From talking to the brother after 2 months he's been on this, his opinion is once you've been signed up and found a place you're on your own....there is little or no communication between Tus and the work placement you've been assigned, they weren't even aware he was due to start on the morning he did (the job not Tus)... he reckons there's 1 or 2 there do not do 19hrs a week nor nothing like it , one guy he says he could count on 1 hand the days he's seen him in 2 months... but still everyone gets paid their dole + 20 euro no questions asked or given......pretty pointless exercise all in all, but the media are still reporting live register figures down which seems to be what it's about at the end of the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

From talking to the brother after 2 months he's been on this, his opinion is once you've been signed up and found a place you're on your own....there is little or no communication between Tus and the work placement you've been assigned, they weren't even aware he was due to start on the morning he did (the job not Tus)... he reckons there's 1 or 2 there do not do 19hrs a week nor nothing like it , one guy he says he could count on 1 hand the days he's seen him in 2 months... but still everyone gets paid their dole + 20 euro no questions asked or given......pretty pointless exercise all in all, but the media are still reporting live register figures down which seems to be what it's about at the end of the day

Well were I am (guess by my name :P) I get a visit at least once a week from my supervisor from tus. Sound guy and always looking out for me making sure I am being treated right and not taken advantage of.

I was asked to do something outside of the job description and he got very upset at the job over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SOMS

I am due to end a TUS Programme in the next few weeks, When i sign back on with the social welfare does anyone know if i will be intitled to go back onto unemployment benifit or wil ago onto jobseakers allowance ( which i was previoulsy on?

• Advertisement

SOMS wrote: »
    I am due to end a TUS Programme in the next few weeks, When i sign back on with the social welfare does anyone know if i will be intitled to go back onto unemployment benifit or wil ago onto jobseakers allowance ( which i was previoulsy on?

As Class A PRSI contributions will be paid for all participants, you should have no problem as all one needs to re-qualify is 13 paid contributions.

JSA could be more beneficial to you as JSB is earnings related.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SOMS

Hi Thanks for that info, What i want to know is, can i go back on employment benifit being someone who as worked over the 13 weeks, just like anyone else who has left a normal job and not a Tus programme. Its just i was previoulsy on allounce which i thought was earning tested but benifit is for anyone who has lost a job and paid into the system.
    When i was originally made redudent i was put on jobseekers benefit and then after the year it was means assesed and changed to allowance

Job Seekers Benefit is based on your stamps and is 'earnings related' e.g how much you get depends on how much you earned when last employed.

Job Seekers Allowance is soley based on what means you have if any.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Realtivity

Race to the bottom.

Total Slavery - A new low.

Just a quick update as I haven't been on in a while. Enjoying my placement so far, it's not great and I don't always have a lot to do but I am learning new skills that would help me find a permanent job. Yes, the money is **** with just a €20 top up on your jobseekers payment but it's better than sitting at home complaining about not being able to get a job and losing hope because you haven't gotten any call backs. They haven't gone about the right way for sure but it does serve some purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭DenMan

On my holidays right now. Have two weeks off. Over half way through my TUS. Really enjoying it! When I'm back in July we have schools coming to visit and I'm going to be doing beginner computer classes for them. Also in Sept I'll be doing adult computer classes and that will take me to the end of the year. Then in early 2014 I'm going to do a JobBridge scheme in education and come summer 2014 I'm moving abroad to teach! TUS is brilliant. You have to get the best out of it while you are there! :)

DenMan wrote: »
    On my holidays right now. Have two weeks off.

You know you can get 4 weeks don't you? The 10 days holidays are 10 full time days but we technically only work 2 and a half days a week. So 10 full days = 4 weeks on tus. Was trained by the outgoing tus person who has me geared to get the absolute best out of it without just sitting on this for a year then moaning when I end up back on the dole afterwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭DenMan

You know you can get 4 weeks don't you? The 10 days holidays are 10 full time days but we technically only work 2 and a half days a week. So 10 full days = 4 weeks on tus. Was trained by the outgoing tus person who has me geared to get the absolute best out of it without just sitting on this for a year then moaning when I end up back on the dole afterwards

Yep I know. Thanks! :) I'm taking one week of my four week's holidays and I have built up more time when we were doing classes for the Junior and Leaving Cert study support. I'll have them used up before my TUS job ends.

I haven't seen mine either since I started but that's not a bad thing to me. The only time I've felt the need to get in touch is when I was getting emergency taxed at the beginning. The only other time I'd really need to talk to them is if I wasn't enjoying the job, which isn't the case.

I get where you're made to think that if you don't take the first job offered that you'll lose your benefit but this isn't the case. If you're worried about that then talk to them about it but they're not going to force you into a position that's not suited to you. It's up to the individual to tell Tus what they're looking for and what you're not interested in so that a suitable position can be found

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 mcgocks

if i work three days a week will my holidays b counted as those dayz only and not as thur and friday as 5?

Advertisement