Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accomodation Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 lechar

DreamByDay wrote: »
    I think he just substracted the amount of places he went down in the waiting list from the total number of rooms.
    I.e if you were number 500 on Friday at 4pm and two hours after you are number 300 then it means 200 rooms have been taken so there are 770-200=570 rooms left, etc...
    So if our rank keeps slowly going down...it s*cks for us :/
    I wonder if we will be offered places monday/if there will be some places left for us :/

I'm number 231.. do you think i have a chance??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭DreamByDay

lechar wrote: »
    I'm number 231.. do you think i have a chance??

No idea...but to be honest I'm 329 and rather pessimistic on my own case - but you're almost in the top 200 so you should have a rather good chance...? I don't know what to believe anymore... :/

No idea...but to be honest I'm 329 and rather pessimistic on my own case - but you're almost in the top 200 so you should have a rather good chance...? I don't know what to believe anymore... :/

I know its such a stressful situation.. Well I dont think theres any point in being too pesimistic because there is nothing we can do about it right now.
    Everybody is saying different things so its hard to know what to believe. They're making educated guesses and I dont think anybody is 100% sure what it really is. I just hope we get a place :/

I know its such a stressful situation.. Well I dont think theres any point in being too pesimistic because there is nothing we can do about it right now.
    Everybody is saying different things so its hard to know what to believe. They're making educated guesses and I dont think anybody is 100% sure what it really is. I just hope we get a place :/

Me too !!! What are you planning to do if you don't get a place ? I'm looking through rented rooms in families nearby right now, I think it's called 'digs' - could be a cheap alternative and it's the only thing I can think of right now as I don't know anyone in Ireland let alone Dublin - but I'm a little afraid of missing the whole social, 'student experience' :p

Me too !!! What are you planning to do if you don't get a place ? I'm looking through rented rooms in families nearby right now, I think it's called 'digs' - could be a cheap alternative and it's the only thing I can think of right now as I don't know anyone in Ireland let alone Dublin - but I'm a little afraid of missing the whole social, 'student experience' :p

Exactly the same as me , I dont want to miss the experience. I live over an hour away from the college so it is possible for me to commute in, but I'd be spending all my time commuting instead of getting to do thing you know? You should definatley look into some sort of digs or rented accomodation just in case.

• Advertisement

Exactly the same as me , I dont want to miss the experience. I live over an hour away from the college so it is possible for me to commute in, but I'd be spending all my time commuting instead of getting to do thing you know? You should definatley look into some sort of digs or rented accomodation just in case.

Aah yeah, commuting really s*cks :/ guess we'll spend much of our time on campus (library, friends' accomodation) and sadly go home in the evening haha
    I found some rooms and might come sooner to Dublin to visit them - but why do they all describe their house as 'quiet', it looks even more exiled and boring compared to campus x)

Aah yeah, commuting really s*cks :/ guess we'll spend much of our time on campus (library, friends' accomodation) and sadly go home in the evening haha
    I found some rooms and might come sooner to Dublin to visit them - but why do they all describe their house as 'quiet', it looks even more exiled and boring compared to campus x)

Well dont give your hopes up yet! What course are you doing?:)

Well dont give your hopes up yet! What course are you doing?:)

BA Joints Honours - Politics and International Relations / Economics but I'm planning to maybe switch Economics for History (but still do some Economics modules, and also a bit of German as we're allowed to take up to four subjects in first year :p )
    What are you studying ? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭IslandKid

whoever just said that there's 770 places, thats not true. UCD have about 2600 places for residents this year, im 100 percent sure of reading this somewhere on my registration recently. cant remember exactly where but to the lad up ther doing the subtraction, its 2600 - 200, not 700 or whatever

IslandKid wrote: »
    whoever just said that there's 770 places, thats not true. UCD have about 2600 places for residents this year, im 100 percent sure of reading this somewhere on my registration recently. cant remember exactly where but to the lad up ther doing the subtraction, its 2600 - 200, not 700 or whatever

Total number of places = around 2000/3000
    Rooms allocated for first year/incoming CAO students : ~780

EDIT just checked on the website it says 737 :s I wanted a room, I'm screwed lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

Yeah but they said that they always end up offering more than that to first years ! I believe they said they gave 1100 places to first years last year so stay positive ;)

BA Joints Honours - Politics and International Relations / Economics but I'm planning to maybe switch Economics for History (but still do some Economics modules, and also a bit of German as we're allowed to take up to four subjects in first year :p )
    What are you studying ? :)

WOOO!
    BA Aswell!! Im doing French and Sociology

what number down are you now? are you sure that everyone on the waiting list is a first year, or do second years etc not book rooms same time as us aswell?

P.s people may be eradicated off the list cause they didnt use the 24 hour window to book it, so they got moved to the back of the list. keep your hea dup

WOOO!
    BA Aswell!! Im doing French and Sociology

You're doing French ? Sweeeet I'm french !!! I can help you with your course hahaha :D

what number down are you now? are you sure that everyone on the waiting list is a first year, or do second years etc not book rooms same time as us aswell?

P.s people may be eradicated off the list cause they didnt use the 24 hour window to book it, so they got moved to the back of the list. keep your hea dup

I'm 326 - yep, the waitlist is the Junior priority waitlist, and all the offers come out at the same time so the number slowly going down doesn't mean anything good if you know what I mean :/ but yeah worrying won't change anything so I'm looking at digs right now but still hope for a campus accomodation - I'll take anything that comes really :D

You're doing French ? Sweeeet I'm french !!! I can help you with your course hahaha :D

Are you?! Where in France are you form?

DOES ANYONE ACTUALLY KNOW HOW THE WHOLE THING WORKS?? I'm number 229???

Are you?! Where in France are you form?

I was born and lived in Bretagne near the sea ^^ but now I live near Switzerland - in the mountains (Jura) :D

I was born and lived in Bretagne near the sea ^^ but now I live near Switzerland - in the mountains (Jura) :D

Really? I spent 3 weeks in Rennes last summer :D

Really? I spent 3 weeks in Rennes last summer :D

Really, my cousin actually lives here ^^ was it to visit, to practise your french ?did you go to the sea ?

• Advertisement

dream by day didnt you have a fair idea how this works? care to explain?

dream by day didnt you have a fair idea how this works? care to explain?

Weeeeell I'm not 100% sure but a guy explained to me yesterday on this very thread ;) that once they have made offers (friday at 4pm) each time someone accepts a room your number goes down because this person is removed from the waiting list now that s/he has booked a room
    so basically if your number slowly goes down it's bad. however if your number is changed from 2000 to 1000 in one second like we experienced on friday morning it means the staff removed people not going to UCD/who didnt respond to their offers - which is good haha
    Soo...yeah not entirely sure about that but seems legit seeing as in the hour following the first round of offers our numbers kept frantically going down (=people accepting their offers)

ahhh ok. so what are your ods of getting in? have you worked it out?

ahhh ok. so what are your ods of getting in? have you worked it out?

Not really - but friday 4pm I was 1017
    Now I'm 326
    So of the 737 rooms that have been offered 691 have been processed - let's say 100 people have refused theirs because I'm feeling positive
    this would mean there are like 737-691+100=146 places left
    Which basically means, I'm screwed :)

But yeah, maybe I'm completely wrong and it's far better/worse than that :p

when do you know if your in or out? like when do you expect an offer?

when do you know if your in or out? like when do you expect an offer?

offers every weekday at 4pm - if you dont receive one wait for the next day - but if I dont receive an offer monday i think I'm gonna be much more serious in mmy search of digs xD

Really, my cousin actually lives here ^^ was it to visit, to practise your french ?did you go to the sea ?

Really? Yeah I went to practice french and stayed with a french family! we went up to Saint-Malo for the day:D

Really? Yeah I went to practice french and stayed with a french family! we went up to Saint-Malo for the day:D

Saint-Malo is such a cute town ^^ so you feel ready for the course :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Pixiestar

Hey so I've pretty much been told I have no chance at on campus accommodation.
    So it's time I start looking elsewhere. Is anyone in need of someone to share a house or have a room to rent?

PM me if you are interested :)
    Una.

• Advertisement

Pixiestar wrote: »
    Hey so I've pretty much been told I have no chance at on campus accommodation.
    So it's time I start looking elsewhere. Is anyone in need of someone to share a house or have a room to rent?

PM me if you are interested :)
    Una.

What number on the waiting list were you?

Advertisement