Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accomodation Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭DreamByDay

I thought Belgrove and Merville were similar ? (they use the same pictures on ucd website...)

Does anyone live / has anyone lived in blackrock ? It's the cheapest accommodation but i don't know if living in halls rather than apartments is worth it :/ I mean how are you supposed to get food at 3 a.m, walk the walk of shame when you forgot your clothes before going to shower etc...? How many people share a bathroom/a kitchen, and are there commonrooms/livingspaces....?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

DreamByDay wrote: »
    I thought Belgrove and Merville were similar ? (they use the same pictures on ucd website...)

Does anyone live / has anyone lived in blackrock ? It's the cheapest accommodation but i don't know if living in halls rather than apartments is worth it :/ I mean how are you supposed to get food at 3 a.m, walk the walk of shame when you forgot your clothes before going to shower etc...? How many people share a bathroom/a kitchen, and are there commonrooms/livingspaces....?

Don't go by the pictures online!

But Belgrove is bad.

Blackrock. Is not on campus. About 15 minutes with an unreliable bus service! Been there. Smells bad. In a haunted sort of way. Old building. Smells like a hospital at times. Long corridors. Looks like something out of the horror film The Shining.

Sink in your room at the bottom of your bed. An old wardrobe thrown in the room too. Not sure how many share the toilet/shower.

Kitchen is a small space shared between 4 I think. Common eating area. Not sure about any other living spaces.

I think the website photos show Merville for both Merville and Belgrove as they both offer similar enough conditions.

Glenomena is as pictured.

Blackrock shows the common eating area.

http://www.ucd.ie/residences/residences/

If I were you I'd be choosing between Glenomena and Merville. Glenomena slightly more expensive for the pleasure of having your own toilet/shower.

Neeson wrote: »
    I think the website photos show Merville for both Merville and Belgrove as they both offer similar enough conditions.

Glenomena is as pictured.

Blackrock shows the common eating area.

http://www.ucd.ie/residences/residences/

If I were you I'd be choosing between Glenomena and Merville. Glenomena slightly more expensive for the pleasure of having your own toilet/shower.

Belgrove and Blackrock seem...uuggghhhh...under this new light, haha. Thanks for the advice, I guess I'll be praying for having a melville or glenomena offer - but glenomena is much more expensive, and we're a bit short on money + I'm not sure not having to share my bathroom is worth the price...do you have en-suite accommodation ? Do you think it is worth it ? :)

Just saw the The Shining reference. Ugh. Now I definitely don't want to go there :p

Belgrove and Blackrock seem...uuggghhhh...under this new light, haha. Thanks for the advice, I guess I'll be praying for having a melville or glenomena offer - but glenomena is much more expensive, and we're a bit short on money + I'm not sure not having to share my bathroom is worth the price...do you have en-suite accommodation ? Do you think it is worth it ? :)

Just saw the The Shining reference. Ugh. Now I definitely don't want to go there :p

I have Glenomena experience and I know what can happen. Had my own toilet and have seen shared ones get messed up and wouldn't want to be living somewhere smelling of vomit. Then waiting to see who'll clean it up - will they do it properly etc. People pissing on the seat! The list goes on

Could be nasty. Having to keep a common living/kitchen/cooking area clean is bad enough.

That said they are possibilities, might not happen at all. And sure if you can't afford it don't be worrying about it. It'll sort itself out.

• Advertisement

I have Glenomena experience and I know what can happen. Had my own toilet and have seen shared ones get messed up and wouldn't want to be living somewhere smelling of vomit. Then waiting to see who'll clean it up - will they do it properly etc. People pissing on the seat! The list goes on

Could be nasty. Having to keep a common living/kitchen/cooking area clean is bad enough.

That said they are possibilities, might not happen at all. And sure if you can't afford it don't be worrying about it. It'll sort itself out.

Wow, horror scenarii are creating themselves in my head right now - and they involve vomit and other badsmelling substances :p
    Maybe I'll reconsider the decided price range for accommodation with my parents, the priority is having good conditions to study after all and I definitely don't want this to be jeopardized because of such, erm, situations :p and therefore repeat/reseat/no longer be entitled to free fees, and in the end lose much more money. I'm not overdramatizing :)

True. Are you doing Arts? If so First Year doesn't count for anything really. It's only the rest that they count on your final degree.

True. Are you doing Arts? If so First Year doesn't count for anything really. It's only the rest that they count on your final degree.

Yes, Politics & International Relations / History :) Guess I'll just wait for an offer and see how it sorts itself out from there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Rokeefe

Hey guys, I'm going into first year studying veterinary. I'm mid 3000's on the waiting list for on campus accommodation so now I'm starting 2 look elsewhere. If there's anyone interested pm me.( male but willing 2 live in mixed house)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Kristofferson

are accommodation offers supposed to be out today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Linex_311

Tomorrow I'd say, considering I just got the admissions email less than an hour ago tellin me registration, fees etc. would be online tomorrow..... ?

Linex_311 wrote: »
    Tomorrow I'd say, considering I just got the admissions email less than an hour ago tellin me registration, fees etc. would be online tomorrow..... ?

Do you get mail on your UCDconnect account ? I didn't receive a thing from the university :/

your login is your cao number and your password is your date of birth ddmmyy

I know, it's not that I can't access my UCDconnect mailbox, it's just that I don't receive anything in it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Paula95

I cant log into ucd connect using my cao number and date of birth! does ucd email me first to tell me my account is open?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Slightly OT, but for those of you trying to decide on catered or not catered this might be useful to you
    http://www.clevercuisine.ie/
    or you can look at the info on it on the student union facebook page
    http://www.facebook.com/ucdsu

Don't know if you'd save money in the long run to use on better accommodation. You'd have to work it out.

Paula95 wrote: »
    I cant log into ucd connect using my cao number and date of birth! does ucd email me first to tell me my account is open?

did you enter your date of birth 6 digits ddmmyy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Paula95

did you enter your date of birth 6 digits ddmmyy ?

Ah thank you, i was putting 8 digits :)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭KTBFFH

I just received an e-mail from UCD now and it said ''You will be able to go online and begin your registration within 1 working day of receipt of this email. '' What does that mean? I tried to register there now and it won't let me. It also said nothing about accomodation so I'm kinda worried!

click email up in the top right corner when you're logged into UCD connect then that brings you to the Gmail accept terms and all that craic. This is how you have to access it from then on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭KTBFFH

Linex_311 wrote: »
    click email up in the top right corner when you're logged into UCD connect then that brings you to the Gmail accept terms and all that craic. This is how you have to access it from then on
    I have that done already. Will they send me an e-mail to there when I am allowed to register and pick my accommodation?

KTBFFH wrote: »
    I just received an e-mail from UCD now and it said ''You will be able to go online and begin your registration within 1 working day of receipt of this email. '' What does that mean? I tried to register there now and it won't let me. It also said nothing about accomodation so I'm kinda worried!

This would suggest that access may take up to 24 hours. So try again later or tomorrow.

If you go onto your SIS Web account, check Student Services > UCD Residences
    it may give you more info, but I've never used it so I'm not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Jt3

for the accommodation do ucd send an email to your old email address r do u have to have a ucd email?

UCD will assign you an email address and are likely to communicate to you using this.

but what if i havent got one yet and the accommodation comes out today will they just send it to mine?

If you log into your ucd connect and at the top of the screen there should be a little email symbol. Click it and thats your email.

thank you..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭gwakamoley

Is anyone having any success booking a room? It's a minute past four now so it should be available any time soon shouldn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Mr.Fun

I have no email gotten yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

I haven't gotten an email yet either. Waiting patiently!

Advertisement